Combo WDW and Cruise trip?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Korileigh, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Korileigh

Korileigh Mouseketeer

Has anyone here done WDW first and then cruised? Is it too much? Does it lessen the fun of the cruise at all? We are going on the Dream in December - my mom is taking my family and we are thinking of going down before the cruise with just our kids to do Disney for about 8 days. My mom is worried it will somehow take the fun out of the cruise but I think it sounds fabulous. I just wondered what other's experiences have been like. This will be our first Disney cruise but we have done Disney several times. We kind of figure if we are already going to be down there why not? And our kids are getting older where it will be harder and harder to pull them out of school so we feel like this might be our last chance to do a long trip on off season dates.

Thanks!
    Kori

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ravensilverlight

ravensilverlight I reject your reality and substitute my own.

We have done WDW and then cruised twice. In NO WAY did it spoil either part of the trip! :thumbsup2

WDW and DCL have their own special pixiedust: and are completely different animals altogether. We found that the cruise actually gave us a chance to relax and unwind, since the parks can be a pretty busy vacation, what with all the walking around and the lines. A 3 day cruise felt too short, of course ;) but it capped off the parks wonderfully.

I vote go for it! :cool1:

4. baleeve

baleeve "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I

We are going to do a 4 nt cruise then 2 nights at Universal. I was worried about Disney overload. My boys are 20, 10 and 8. Our fellow travel mates thought the same. Their kids are 8 and 10.

That said, we did WDW 2 years ago...if we hadn't I'd do it instead of Universal.

5. hpsalb

hpsalb Mouseketeer

We've done it twice, both before DS was in the picture. As you can see from my ticker, we are doing it again this spring. They are different experiences and I don't think one spoils the other EXCEPT if you overdo it in the parks and are totally beat by the time you get to the ship. Eight days is plenty of time to see the parks and not feel super rushed, so I say go for it!

6. sissy_ib

sissy_ib DIS Veteran

They are such different experiences that it is not really an overload. We did it in January/February and plan on doing WDW/DCL again in the future.

7. DisneyMom70

DisneyMom70 Mouseketeer

We just did this in June. WDW for 8 nights and then the 7 night Eastern (with in-laws) on the Fantasy. First time for most of us for both experiences. It was great, and I would do it again in a heartbeat since we are from the west coast. They were both so different, and were great complements to each other.

For us, the cruise gave some great character interactions without the pressure of "gotta get the signatures". It was very relaxing after running from ride to ride, and yet still was totally Disney. It was also nice to get a bit more parent time, since the kids were happy to be in the kid's club. We also got a bonus night courtesy of the in-laws which was really nice after the intense family time at WDW.

8. Canadianfamily

Canadianfamily Mouseketeer

We've done 2 WDW/DCL vacations and one DL/DCL vacation and loved all three! We much prefer WDW first then a cruise- busy in the parks and then time on the cruise to relax :) We find it's easier to do one big WDW/DCL trip instead of two smaller trips. My suggestion- go for it!

9. Strawberry's mom&dad

Strawberry's mom&dad DIS Veteran

We take it to the next level. Last year and this year we are going 2 days before the cruise and then a week after. We will have APs so the tickets won't be a problem. Getting there a little before decreases the arrival stress and since we've been to WDW several times we can relax a little more during the week after.

10. maxmouse

maxmouse A Disneyland Kid who grew into a Disneyworld fan.

We have done it once, 8 days at WDW and then a 4 day cruise and it was great. I would also recommend WDW first and then the cruise. I have always said that you need a vacation when you get back from WDW, so add a cruise and time to relax.

11. Scillycruisers

Scillycruisers Mouseketeer

We have done it twice with DS, 4 first time 5 second and are doing it again in 2013. First time did WDW before (4 nights) then 7 night western, then 5 nights off site but visited Disney and Sea World. Second time did WDW 4 nights then 7 nights eastern, then straight home - decided this wasn't long enough having come from the UK so 2013 are doing 4 nights WDW, 7 nights Eastern then 6 nights in an Orlando villa doing non Disney stuff as we haven't tried that yet! Definitely recommend WDW first then the cruise to relax a bit!

12. GrumpyBelle

GrumpyBelle DIS Veteran

We have done it 3 times. The first time 4 night land/3 night sea. 2nd time was 3 night land/4 night sea. 3rd time was 3 night land/5 night sea. For us, it in no way spoils the experience as they are totally different experiences. It is like taking 2 completely different vacations both with a Disney Theme. I would however, try to include mom on the land portion letting her know that you are not trying to upstage what she has planned.

13. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

It costs so much to fly to FL from CA that we can't justify doing only WDW or DCL, we have to do both in one trip. So we're doing a week at WDW and then a week on the Fantasy, hopefully in 2014 with my husband's family and hopefully my mom for the WDW portion (she won't cruise). It's already been postponed twice due to money constraints. I am also insisting that we do the parks first so we can rest and recover on the ships.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

14. Stitch'sCousin

Stitch'sCousin DIS Veteran

In August 2010, we spent 8 days at WDW followed by a 4 night cruise. We didn't wear ourselves out at the parks because we had lots of time. However, it made the cruise seem even more relaxing because we were able to sleep in and not worry about rope drop! :)

15. j&j620

j&j620 DIS Veteran

I say that sounds like the perfect vacation :cloud9:

16. EeyoreIsMyName

EeyoreIsMyName DIS Veteran

We did WDW before the cruise twice. We did WDW before & after the cruise once. We didn't think it spoiled anything. We did enjoy relaxing on the cruise so we do like doing it beforehand. I don't think you can go wrong doing WDW & a cruise no matter what you do...but that's just me maybe.:rotfl:

17. 3Adevas

3Adevas Mouseketeer

That sounds like a fabulous plan!!! We did just that in Dec 2011 and thought the same thing..why not while we drove down, have the time, and booked a super cheap VGT rate!

Me, DH, DS 2/12 drove to Orlando,spent 7 days there-4 days at WDW(1 day at MK,EP,AK&HS) joined by best friend with her DH, DD 5 and twins DS 2/12, DD 2 1/2...the cruise was actually the best part! We took a laid back approach and relaxed the enire 4d/3n cruise !!

18. momto2girlsLA

momto2girlsLA Earning My Ears

We just did a 4 night cruise on the Dream and 3 nights at WDW. We were very tired. I don't think combining the 2 is too much but I would think about how you plan it and how many days. 8 days at the parks and then a cruise sounds like way to much for me. Granted my kids are 4 and 6 but I think we didn't enjoy the parks as much as we were tired from the late nights on the cruise. I would plan some beach or pool days or just some down time vs planning 8 days in the park and then a cruise.

19. clarkshel

clarkshel DIS Veteran

I had family members who did 7 days at WDW the 7 days on the fantasy, they had an awesome time and had no complaints about being too tired. They took their 6 and 9 yr old kids. We are doing the 7 day fantasy cruise next week followed by 7 days at WDW. So looking forward to this.

20. Ana~n~Joseph

Ana~n~Joseph I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met M

Last December for Christmas we did 3 nights at Disney World and then went on the 4 night Disney Dream Christmas Cruise. It was perfection.

In 9 days we're leaving for Florida again. This time DS and I will be doing 3 nights Disney Dream and 3 nights at Disney World.