Combining 10k with WDW vacation

DisneyCheri

Earning My Ears
My first 10k was the DLR Tinkerbell, last May. I'm signed up for the Star Wars & Tink 10k in 2016, and I've decided I want to do a WDW 10k. Now that the 2017 dates are out, I've decided on the Princess in Feb 2017. I know it's way early, but I love to plan.

How many of you have combined a vacation with a RunDisney event? Since I live in San Francisco, it was no big deal to fly down to DLR on Friday and do the 10k Saturday. But, I'm wondering about how to design my WDW trip. I'll be there for 8 days/7 nights and I'm trying to decide when to arrive. If I get there two days before I'd have one relaxing night (I'd arrive around 5:00 -- probably just go to DTD) and then do some easy touring the day before the race -- maybe EP and picking up my bib at WWoS.

Any other suggestions for a cross-country traveling new RundDisney fan?

Thanks.

We used the Princess weekend this year as the anchor for our vacation - doing a few days in the parks before race weekend and then a short cruise after. Overall, I think it worked well, but I overdid it a bit (my first time there!), and my feet were more sore than they should have been before the half. I wish we had moved the full-on park days to after the race, in retrospect.

For the 10K, I think the itinerary you suggest sounds good. And you know your own conditioning - it really depends on how much walking you're comfortable with in the days before your race. And there's really no prepping for that wake-up call - just try to go to bed as early as you can the night before the race.

How many of you have combined a vacation with a RunDisney event?

Almost everyone. :)

I wish I could get there with enough time to get onto eastern time, but then that's a lot of vacation days where you want to be careful not to overexert yourself. Also I have a tricky stomach, and all that restaurant food starts to get to me.

So...2 days ahead is decent. You're always going to be exhausted for the wakeup. Give yourself time for flight delays and to get to the expo.

A 10K is nice for me b/c it's not going to turn me into a paranoid vacation-ruiner like a Half does. :)

Now...a really nice race for a west coaster is Wine and Dine. Since it's at night, it's like taking an evening run at home. Though...for TOT (if that ever comes back it's in October) it was about 85 degrees, and for W&D the following year it was cold and it rained on us the whole time. So weather is tricky LOL. (but weather in Jan and Feb can be tricky, too! plan for any temperature for Princess...any)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter