InsureMyTrip.com?

firechick139

Mouseketeer
Has anyone used this website to buy insurance for your trip?

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

If so, is it reliable? I did not buy trip insurance before I paid off my trip with AAA, and now I cannot buy it since the trip has been paid off. My dad's mother isn't doing too well, and I want the insurance to fall back on just in case. Does anyone have any other insurance they can recommend?

I have used it several times and its great.

Another thing to look at, and I didn't realize until recently myself, is your credit card. I can pay 99/year and it insure every trip I take for everything - cancellation, baggage, medical,etc.... A MUCH better deal this way - I pay 99 bucks a year and am covered for every single trip. All I have to do is make sure that all or part of my trip is paid with that card. So I usually use it to charge my airfare, or hotel or something, and then just pay it off, and I am covered.

I bought our trip insurance through insuremytrip.com for our land/sea vacation next week. I saved over $100 from what it cost through Disney Cruise line. I hope that we don't end up needing it, but I did a lot of research prior to purchasing and they seem to be very reliable and get good reviews from people who post on the dis boards. ;)

Yes, I have used them several times as well. Please note that you are not actually buying the insurance from them. They will provide you with numerous quotes from insurance companies and you pick the one that suits you the best. The actual policy will come from the insurance company, not InsureMyTrip.

My dad's mother isn't doing too well, and I want the insurance to fall back on just in case.

I just want to mention that all policies are different, so be sure you're getting one that will cover this if you need to use it. When you go to the website be sure and read the description of coverage really thoroughly. Some have a 6 month "pre-existing condition" clause, and if so, and if your dad's mom is currently being treated by a doctor, the insurance company could possibly be able to deny payment on a claim, as this example of one of Travel Guard's policies shows:

PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL condition exclusion:
The Insurer will not pay for any loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of you, traveling companion, business partner or Immediate Family Member which, within the 180 day period immediately preceding and including your coverage effective date: first manifested itself or had symptoms which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; or for which care or treatment was given or recommended by a Physician; or required the taking of prescription drugs or medicines, unless the condition for which the drugs or medicines are taken remains controlled without any change in the prescription drugs or medicines.

and then even if there is no pre-existing clause, you have this:

Trip Cancellation and Interruption
The Insurer will reimburse the Insured, as described below, if a Trip is canceled or interrupted for the Insured due to any of the following Unforeseen circumstances: (a) Sickness, Injury, or death of an Insured, Immediate Family Member, Traveling Companion, or Business Partner. Injury or Sickness must be so disabling as to reasonably cause a Trip to be canceled or interrupted. If the Insured must cancel or interrupt his/her Trip due to Injury or Sickness of an Immediate Family Member or Business Partner, it must be because their condition is life-threatening.

So if she is doing poorly and you cancel, unless it is a life threatening situation when you cancel they might deny a claim. The insurance company will request all her medical records to make their determination.

My advice is to just be careful and read all the fine print before you purchase. When you pick out a plan you like on the website you listed, you might even want to just call the toll free number they have listed and make 100% sure what the conditons are of cancelling because of a family member.

Just trying to help, and I hope your dad's mom feels better soon :goodvibes

Also remember, you're not buying insurance FROM insuremytrip.com - it's a search engine of sorts.

Seahunt, I am a little confused. Here's the situation. My dad's mother recently went to live in a personal care home, due to her not being able to live by herself anymore (not being able to climb stairs, etc.). It's not due to any pre-existing condition, she's just getting older and can't do the things she used to. She is deteriorating faster than we had expected, and I'm sorry to say, may not live much longer. The only reason we would cancel our trip is if she passes away, since we know she is in good hands. (She is not going on the trip with us).

Is this covered? With that info you posted, are they talking about immediate family members that go on the trip with you? :confused3

Best thing to do is to call each insurance company DIRECTLY and give your situation----get the name of the person you are speaking with, and document, then purchase the policy that covers your situation. I am a travel agent and insurance companies have MANY policies with VERY SMALL PRINT, so get the details right from the company. Best thing to do! Then there will be no surprises! And next time, always buy insurance when purchasing a vacation package....I found out the hard way too! LOL We NEVER know what may happen. Good Luck!

Is this covered? With that info you posted, are they talking about immediate family members that go on the trip with you? :confused3

Depends on the company. Is she being treated for anything now? For example, let's say she has heart disease, and is currently on heart medication. They could say that she had a pre-existing condition that she was being treated for, and may deny any claim. And the company's defininiton of "immediate family" is different by company also and needs to be checked out - some stipulate in the fine print only father, mother, children, others include grandparents, aunt, uncles, etc. Some policies say traveling companions, others include family not traveling.

See why I agree with MIC-KEY post below? :laughing: When you pick a company/policy you like on the insuremytrip website, call and make 100% sure it will cover your situation. If not, pick a different one and then call them too. It will pay to do the checking now, prior to being disappointed if they decline any claim later :goodvibes

Best thing to do is to call each insurance company DIRECTLY and give your situation----get the name of the person you are speaking with, and document, then purchase the policy that covers your situation. I am a travel agent and insurance companies have MANY policies with VERY SMALL PRINT, so get the details right from the company. Best thing to do! Then there will be no surprises! And next time, always buy insurance when purchasing a vacation package....I found out the hard way too! LOL We NEVER know what may happen. Good Luck!

I agree 1000%
:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter