1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

College Program Questions

Discussion in 'The College Board' started by Jaleatonbro, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Jaleatonbro

Jaleatonbro Earning My Ears

I am currently a first year engineering student at Purdue University and am wanting to do the college program for either the fall 2013 or fall 2013 advantage. I am unsure as to how this will affect my school but I love Disney and know that it would look great on a resume. Are there any previous programmers that would have input or experience with this problem.

2. aznshents

aznshents Mouseketeer

Most roles in the College Program don't have any direct correlation to specific practical skills that folks are studying, with the large exception of Hospitality Management. I don't believe there are any CP roles that correspond to programming- the CP is more for getting working experience for a company like Disney and really understanding how a Fortune 100 theme park industry company functions on an operational level, and get practical experience dealing with challenging Guest situations on a daily basis that you probably wouldn't find working for most any other hourly job.

look at me sounding like a broken record. The tl'dr is, the College Program won't give you practical experience in programming- you'll want to look for a Professional Internship to do that.

3. AnimalKingdomDVC

AnimalKingdomDVC Earning My Ears

What I would do is to get a little further along in your studies and then apply for a PI, professional internship in Engineering. Because that sounds just what you are looking for. And you can do that up to 6 months from graduation if I am not mistaking!

4. henrylarry6

henrylarry6 Earning My Ears

From what I've heard, that college program isn't exactly what you're looking for. It's way too focused on the company's philosophy, way of life, etc. Your best bet is to find a reputable MBA program near you that specializes in entrepreneurial education. Employers are looking fondly at such concentrations these days. I went to Babson College in Boston for my MBA and I was very happy with the exposure and experience I gained. Definitely think about getting one as you continue on in your college career.