College Program Parents Thread...

I am so excited! My DD (19) got into the college program. She checks in on May 20th leaves on Jan 3. We have so much to do to get ready... only month away!:yay:

I see more trips to WDW in my very near future! ;)

I am sorry if this has already been answered, but there are so many posts I think I probably missed it :) Does my daughter need to bring her own comforter, sheets, pillows and towels?

DD wears a medical necklace will there be a phone number available there for her to add to it? We have seen the medical accommodation form but that really doesn't cover her needs if she has an asthma attack, she just needs a contact really.

DD wears a medical necklace will there be a phone number available there for her to add to it? We have seen the medical accommodation form but that really doesn't cover her needs if she has an asthma attack, she just needs a contact really.

I'm not sure what you mean by phone number? If you mean as an emergency contact Disney will be no help. It should be you. She will have a phone in her apartment but the chances if her roommates being there to pick it up are slim.

Also I will say that if she is at work at one of the parks and has a severe attack the EMS team can be there within 1-2 minutes. Response time to resorts is a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm not sure what you mean by phone number? If you mean as an emergency contact Disney will be no help. It should be you. She will have a phone in her apartment but the chances if her roommates being there to pick it up are slim.

Also I will say that if she is at work at one of the parks and has a severe attack the EMS team can be there within 1-2 minutes. Response time to resorts is a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks, I'm in the UK so it would be difficult, she doesn't have them often at all so hopefully all will be okay :)

I'd honestly just recommend your mobile, as any EMT/Paramedics/First Responders will check her medical tag before anything else.

In my case it's iffy since my parents turn off their phones at night, but if there's that possible concern leave your phone as the primary contact in all situations, and on her medical tag. Just plan on leaving it on 24/7, as that's what I would do in any circumstance.

By the way, thanks for reminding me as I still need to order mine too.

Thanks everyone. Now I need to ask how many days I should get park tickets for. I know it will be busy and dont want to waste money on a day I don't need. I have sunday our arrival day. Then wondering if I should bother for monday? then Tuesday is my last day.
If you're arriving Sunday, I'd recommend at least Sunday/Monday. Just realize she'll be busy with check-in, unpacking, and casting which will leave little time if you're planning on helping her out. With the new check-in system though, things should run quicker but begins later at 9am. Depending on what time you're leaving, Tuesday might be possible too. It just depends on what you're up for personally, as she won't have park access until Wednesday at the earliest.

Thanks, and Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

I'd honestly just recommend your mobile, as any EMT/Paramedics/First Responders will check her medical tag before anything else.

In my case it's iffy since my parents turn off their phones at night, but if there's that possible concern leave your phone as the primary contact in all situations, and on her medical tag. Just plan on leaving it on 24/7, as that's what I would do in any circumstance.

By the way, thanks for reminding me as I still need to order mine too.

Thank you so much for your help Roger, I'll put my moblie/cell and landline down on it :thumbsup2

My Daughter got her Arrival date as May 20th and the email to complete the preboard documents which are all done.

Now the Dashboard has a link in the communications titled WDWCP Food Service QSR H/H which says: The job posting you are looking for has expired or the position has already been filled. If you are interested in one of our other opportunities, please visit our career site.

Is this normal after you are locked in or should she call and checkup on this?

Also - I'm driving her down in two weeks. If I could bring her single twin matress in my truck would you recommend it? I've heard the matresses are pretty hard and I do have room to bring it.

My Daughter got her Arrival date as May 20th and the email to complete the preboard documents which are all done.

Now the Dashboard has a link in the communications titled WDWCP Food Service QSR H/H which says: The job posting you are looking for has expired or the position has already been filled. If you are interested in one of our other opportunities, please visit our career site.

Also - I'm driving her down in two weeks. If I could bring her single twin matress in my truck would you recommend it? I've heard the matresses are pretty hard and I do have room to bring it.

Never seen the communication. Unless she ha the application saved in her dashboard.

On the bringing your own mattress I would call housing and ask if that is allowed. I think I recall that we weren't allowed to bring our own furniture but I'm not sure if a mattress would count. Also the storage for the CP housing mattress would be unfair to the other roommates because it would take a lot of room out of the closet.

DisneyParent said:

I would have her call and check that out...something doesn't sound quite right with that communication...

And regarding the mattress, you need to leave it at home. Your bettter bet is to invest in a good quality mattress topper. Your not allowed to bring your own and honestly there is no guarantee that she will stay in the same unit with the same girls for her entire program. And if she has to move, it's not always with a lot of notice! So that would be my suggestion...a quality mattress topper. Kohl's sells some for a reasonable price on sale and then use the bonus 30% off. I got a NICE twin sized one for about $30. :)

Thanks all - we'll check on a good matress topper then.

Are the offices open on the weekend to check on the message or will she have to wait until Monday morning?

Well... after all the excitement of planning for the CP, doing the interviews, going to WDW to audition for a character/mover role (first cut based on height, and she is 5'6"), accepting a role in attractions, "meeting" potential roommates online, starting to make plans and schedules, etc., it looks like DD might not be doing the CP after all. Many things come into play, but the big ones are (a) her inability to fit regular dance classes into the work schedule, (b) some really excellent classes her major and minor are offering on a trial/one-time basis during fall semester, and (c) failing health of a beloved grandparent. We talked about it all last night, and she keeps coming back to reasoning that the original idea was to audition to DANCE at Disney, not just take off a semester to work at WDW. I know that I'll be supportive of her final decision, because it's her life, but I admit to feeling a little sad around the edges, that DD might not be doing the CP next fall! She is still weighing all the options, but really... Do I have the only kid in the world who'd choose to stay in school rather than work at Disney World??

Nope, Leebee...you don't. My son is still in the "Not Sure" stage. He is proceeding with his university as if he will be there in the Fall. A few variations, but still...He found out this week that he was moved to the Honor's Dorm...and if he went off for Fall, that room would be gone. He still hasn't heard about scholarships other than some will defer, some won't...his department approved a grand total of 0 hours of credit for DCP, and his department is also doing a Shakespeare work in the fall, which they only do every other year....the next time it comes around he will be in his internship and won't get to do it...So like I said...he is proceeding with DCP, and proceeding as if he will be in school in the Fall. He wants both, but can't have both. LOL. I would hate for him to never be able to do the program if he backs out, but a kid's gotta do what a kid's gotta do.

Nope, Leebee...you don't. My son is still in the "Not Sure" stage. He is proceeding with his university as if he will be there in the Fall. A few variations, but still...He found out this week that he was moved to the Honor's Dorm...and if he went off for Fall, that room would be gone. He still hasn't heard about scholarships other than some will defer, some won't...his department approved a grand total of 0 hours of credit for DCP, and his department is also doing a Shakespeare work in the fall, which they only do every other year....the next time it comes around he will be in his internship and won't get to do it...So like I said...he is proceeding with DCP, and proceeding as if he will be in school in the Fall. He wants both, but can't have both. LOL. I would hate for him to never be able to do the program if he backs out, but a kid's gotta do what a kid's gotta do.

IIRC, your son also auditioned for an entertainment role and made it further through the audition than my DD. I think for DD a large part of this is NOT being able to dance while in FL. She doesn't drive, so she'd be reliant on public transportation to get to classes. Being able to squeeze in dance while trying to do two courses (one Disney, one online) and work 45 hours a week would prove almost impossible. She can't not dance... just not happening... so I think that's a big part of it. She is considering turning down the offer for fall and applying for a Spring/Spring Advantage role. This will give her an opportunity to re-audition for an entertainment role, although if they are cutting everyone around her very common height (5'6" although that was 5'4.5" at Disney) there will never be an opportunity for her to dance at Disney. I just hope she'll be happy with WHATEVER she decides to do (and maybe get her license to make the decision easier!)

Thank you so much for your help Roger, I'll put my moblie/cell and landline down on it :thumbsup2
Pleasure, Ma'am. Better safe than sorry, and it doesn't hurt anything. Here's hoping she'll never need it. :)

Thanks again for reminding me that I needed to order mine. It's going to be later, but I'll get it shipped down as soon as possible.

I think for DD a large part of this is NOT being able to dance while in FL. She doesn't drive, so she'd be reliant on public transportation to get to classes.
There's honestly numerous ways for her to go about getting transportation, as I have enough people ask on a regular basis where dance and yoga studios are located in the area and recommendations. She could always find a friend, or a couple of friends that would be willing to go by a studio and practise.

In the end, you are correct that it's her decision. As a College student, and a son, thank you for respecting that.

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

Pleasure, Ma'am. Better safe than sorry, and it doesn't hurt anything. Here's hoping she'll never need it. :)

Thanks again for reminding me that I needed to order mine. It's going to be later, but I'll get it shipped down as soon as possible.

There's honestly numerous ways for her to go about getting transportation, as I have enough people ask on a regular basis where dance and yoga studios are located in the area and recommendations. She could always find a friend, or a couple of friends that would be willing to go by a studio and practise.

In the end, you are correct that it's her decision. As a College student, and a son, thank you for respecting that.

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

You're welcome! It's hard sometimes, to separate wanting her to have her dreams from me wanting to live my dream vicariously through her. I'll admit it makes me a little sad to hear that she might not do the CP, because it wasn't an option when I was in college, and I think she'd LOVE it. However, she won't love it if she isn't there for herself, or is wondering about classes back home or worrying about not dancing regularly. I know she'll come to the best decision for her, and I will reign in my personal feelings and support what she decides. I just want her to be happy! pixiedust:

Hi I tried doing a search but there are long threads to look thru. I am staying at contemporary and taking a cab with my daughter to check in. Is there an address I can give to the cab driver?
Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter