College Program Parents Thread...

Well, my son had his character audition in Austin on Saturday. Total auditioning was 213. Total staying for round 2: 80. He is 5'11", but he didn't know what they measured him at. He did make it to the second round, so now he waits for a decision. All in all, he had a great time with the audition. First round was some basic movement...second round was more advanced dance that started our pretty simple then increased in difficulty, and some "animation" exercises. I guess that is kind of like charades...they give you two scenarios to act out. I know that after they learned the dance he texted me, "That was intense." Anyway, other than an incredibly long drive, it was a good weekend. Was surprised at how far some had come to audition...I think the greatest distance I spoke to was from Arizona.

Can DDs paycheck be automatically deposited to her savings account here at home, or does it have to be a checking account? Our bank reimburses ATM fees regardless of where you withdraw the money, which is sweet, do if her pay is deposited to her savings account, she could withdraw cash as needed. However, I thought I read somewhere that they would do automatic deposit ONLY to a checking account. I suppose it could be deposited to my account and I could transfer it to her account, but what a pain to have to do this every week.

On the other hand, she has a credit card in her name, but on her dad's account. She could use the credit card for most things and just withdraw cash from her savings as needed. If her paycheck went to my checking account, I could pay her credit card expenses and transfer the balance to her savings account.

AAAAAHHHHH!!!! Any advice would be appreciated! I just don't like the idea of that payroll card!

Jobro912, congrats to your son for making it through the dance audition! It was my DDs dream, but not to be. At the Orlando audition, everyone between 5'2" and 5'8" was cut after the first movement exercise. Of course, Disney measured DD at 64.5" (five foot four and a half) although at the doctor today she measured 65.98" (just a hair under five foot six). Bummer... She is an accomplished dancer who wanted a chance at parades or FOTLK animal dancer. Oh well... She is looking forward to her role in Attractions and hopes for a shot at a mid-program audition or opportunity to extend in Entertainment.

Thanks Leebee...I was seriously ready to leave when I saw the door open after round one. That said, 80 stayed, and I think they did 14 auditions...so chances are slim pickin's...They did tell them during the second part to not worry if they couldn't dance, that the animation played more into character selection...but it was obvious that they were looking for potential "movers." The dance started simple and progressed to difficult...from what I can tell he was able to pull off about 90% of it. He has also been in a clowning seminar at school this semester, and said that helped a lot with the animation. So we shall see. He is still going...be it as a character, or cleaning toilets/emptying trash :)

Thanks Leebee...I was seriously ready to leave when I saw the door open after round one. That said, 80 stayed, and I think they did 14 auditions...so chances are slim pickin's...They did tell them during the second part to not worry if they couldn't dance, that the animation played more into character selection...but it was obvious that they were looking for potential "movers." The dance started simple and progressed to difficult...from what I can tell he was able to pull off about 90% of it. He has also been in a clowning seminar at school this semester, and said that helped a lot with the animation. So we shall see. He is still going...be it as a character, or cleaning toilets/emptying trash :)

I think DD was probably the only auditioner who WASN'T interested in being a character; she wanted to be a mover. It was a shock for DD to be cut for height; she hadn't considered that this might happen! We are currently investigating dance studios in the WDW Area, as I think the only thing that would keep her from doing the CP would be if she can't find a place to keep dancing (and she doesn't have a car so bus route must be considered also). She has been accepted for summer programs at Joffrey and Complexions Contemporary Ballet this summer, so she will be busy until check-in on 8/12... But Disney missed the chance at a heck of a dancer for their parades!

Thanks for the responses about wellness vs nonwellness. I kind of had the feeling nonwellness would be the way to go for maturity sake. He has tried the room mate matching yet since he hasn't gotten in. He got his second pending notification last week. He doesn't mind being around people who drink responsibly, so hopefully he can find room mates that are suitable.

HI,
My son graduated May 2012 and participated in the Fall 2012 cp program, extended in January and is done with his cp in May. He is looking to continue his career at WDW. He is asking around looking for a roommate since he will be leaving the cp housing but not much luck. Many of his friends are either in apartments already or going back to school. Any ideas of how to connect with others looking to share an apartment?

He can post on sites like this, or on the facebook page for his CP. I'm sure there are other people looking to stay. There will be a lot of people starting Management or Professional Internships in June, so he may want to look at their facebook pages as well.

Hey guys! My DD will be coming in Fall for Merchandise and we just aren't sure how much money she needs to bring with her. Can any alumni help us out? Thank you!

Hey guys! My DD will be coming in Fall for Merchandise and we just aren't sure how much money she needs to bring with her. Can any alumni help us out? Thank you!

I'd bring enough money to go the first 3 weeks without a paycheck. That's food, gas (if applicable), and maybe a bit of spending money for 'getting to know your roommates' activities. I'd call that maybe ... $300?? After that the paychecks are enough to live on if she's good with budgeting.

Hello,

My son reports on Memorial Day (May 27), and he/I are driving down to Orlando together in his car, and I am flying back to Ohio. I am hoping to get my airplane ticket soon, and I am wondering if anyone can shed some insight as to what happens Report Day. Do I drop him off between 7-9 and then he's so busy I won't be able to see him again? Is it like dropping a student off at college, so he checks in, gets his apartment, needs groceries, etc.?

Should I plan to fly home Report Day or the day afterward?

Thanks.

Karen

Hello,

My son reports on Memorial Day (May 27), and he/I are driving down to Orlando together in his car, and I am flying back to Ohio. I am hoping to get my airplane ticket soon, and I am wondering if anyone can shed some insight as to what happens Report Day. Do I drop him off between 7-9 and then he's so busy I won't be able to see him again? Is it like dropping a student off at college, so he checks in, gets his apartment, needs groceries, etc.?

Thanks.

Karen

My DD started in the program last Aug. she was in photopass then she extended to Character attendant. She is having a great time. We took her car down and I flew back to NY. The first day I dropped her off and shopped in the area. I was able to meet up with her and get her settled in her apartment. Most but not all have the next day off. I enjoyed meeting her roommates and there families. I would stay and fly home later the day after check in. I fly down May 8th and she is done with the program on the 10th and we will head back to NY. I know the apartment that she was in was not CLEAN. We thought we took everything she needed but we we got there we made a few shopping trips. Dollar stores are a nice place to start.

Yea!! My DD just found out this morning that she was accepted into the college program for Fall Advantage!! :cool1::goodvibespixiedust::thumbsup2

Kaler131 said:
Yea!! My DD just found out this morning that she was accepted into the college program for Fall Advantage!! :cool1::goodvibespixiedust::thumbsup2

Congratulations to her and you! The advantage is the longer program so what dates will she be there?

Congratulations for your daughter (and you)! I know how excited I was when my daughter was accepted for the Spring program. What area will she be in? My daughter is in attractions - Kilimanjaro Safari - and loves it. She recently got accepted to extend until Aug. 2nd.

Congratulations for your daughter (and you)! I know how excited I was when my daughter was accepted for the Spring program. What area will she be in? My daughter is in attractions - Kilimanjaro Safari - and loves it. She recently got accepted to extend until Aug. 2nd.

Thanks!! She will also be doing attractions, but she doesn't know where yet....

My friend was in the program a few years ago and he was on KS and he really loved it too!:goodvibes He actually stayed on as a seasonal there for awhile after that.

Hello,

Thanks.

Karen
My S22 did the program Spring 2011:
When your off-spring checks in, parents can sit around and sip coffee, eat cookies, and talk with some experienced CPs. I would advise you to get their key and move them in. They will be busy. Later in the day, it will be a dash to Walmart. The sooner it's done, the sooner all of you can relax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter