College Program Parents Thread...

What would be the good day for a parent to leave Orlando on...day 3 or day 4? Will there be anything additional needed after being at training? Not figuring on seeing son after 1st day, but thought I'd stick around in case they need a ride.

My daughter's check in day is on a Wednesday, and we were planning to stay through the weekend, but now an obligation has come up at home on Friday, so we are coming home early Friday morning.

We were just going to be available to go to WalMart, etc. to help get things for the apartment on Day 2 & 3, but she has a car, and the buses also go there for those who don't.

From reading on here, it seems that Day 2 is a mostly free day and Day 3 is Traditions and they start working on Day 4, so hopefully we'll get to spend some time with them on Day 2. :)

I think we are going to get his car there also. If he has it there, I will leave on day 2, so he won't have to worry about seeing me and can get to know his roommates. If he doesn't take his car, I will stay just in case they all want a ride somewhere. I can't wait to stroll around the parks by myself for awhile. I bet I will see things I've never taken time to notice before.

My DS has been accepted into the culinary program for 2010. His date is Jan 6. I am so freakin excited for him!!! My DD and I will be coming to FL with him on the 5th, then she and I will get in some park time before we come home probably on the weekend.
DD and I had plans for a girls-only trip in March. Now, we'll just have to add another trip a bit earlier. haha! Guess it's time for another ticker for my siggy...

Hi you guys, I just discovered this forum yesterday and I've been poring over all the threads because I really, reeeally want to do the Fall 2010 College Program.

I'm posting in the Parents thread because that's the only obstacle I have right now -- my mother is deadset against me even applying.

Her actual words: "No way. It's a sweatshop, you live with 20 people in a room like a sweatshop, doing menial labor, with no benefit to you or your resume."

Well obviously I think that's a bunch of hooplah but is there anything I could say to her, any decent sources I could show her to prove that the CP isn't just some sweatshop and that it actual does have benefits (you know, in addition to having an amazing experience in general) Obviously she won't pay any mind to whatever Disney sites I show her, since they're biased. But if there are any reliable sources that could prove to her that it is a really great program... I'd appreciate it.

Vista Way apartments are closest to what Disney Resort? Need to make reservations soon. Thanks

Hi you guys, I just discovered this forum yesterday and I've been poring over all the threads because I really, reeeally want to do the Fall 2010 College Program.

I'm posting in the Parents thread because that's the only obstacle I have right now -- my mother is deadset against me even applying.

Her actual words: "No way. It's a sweatshop, you live with 20 people in a room like a sweatshop, doing menial labor, with no benefit to you or your resume."

Well obviously I think that's a bunch of hooplah but is there anything I could say to her, any decent sources I could show her to prove that the CP isn't just some sweatshop and that it actual does have benefits (you know, in addition to having an amazing experience in general) Obviously she won't pay any mind to whatever Disney sites I show her, since they're biased. But if there are any reliable sources that could prove to her that it is a really great program... I'd appreciate it.

My daughter will be attending the Spring 2010 program, and it's her first time. Though I agree it can be VERY hot depending on the time of year they attend, she chose the Spring program just so it's not unbearable while she's working. She's attending from January to May, and I believe they are still accepting applications for that period. Also, from what I understand the rooming "condition" are similar to a college dorm. For example, I think it's anywhere from 2-4 per room, and all amenities are included in their weekly rent fees that are deducted from their check. They just provide their own linens, groceries, etc...and I think they are bringing their own television and laptops.

I've always told my daughter the one thing I regret about my own college experience was never having lived on campus. I think that this type of experience is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity and if she's interested, she should really apply! I think it could make them grow up VERY FAST - at least I know it will for my daughter.

Good luck! :cool2:

What is traditions? I think I read this whole thread, but can't figure this out. thanks.

From what I understand, Traditions is kind of like orientation and is considered their official "first day" of work at Disney's College Program

My DD just found out that she has been accepted for the College Program for Spring 2010. We are excited for her, but need to make some decisions since that will mean she will not be enrolled in college. My work will not let me carry her on my health insurance once she is no longer enrolled in college full-time, so we need to find something else for her. Can some of you who have kids currently in the CP give me some guidance as to my choices?

My health benefits person says I should look for insurance from a Florida company, but I'm in Connecticut! Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks for any advice/help you can give me :-)

Mary R.
Merlib
OKW '93

Mary,

You might want to do a little research on this. We're in Columbus, Ohio, and my daughter (and I) are currently full-time students at Franklin University. If you review the paperwork, this program is considered (and designed to be) a college internship that most colleges consider full-time attendance, if scheduled properly with their college advisor. In fact, Disney encourages them to be enrolled in online college courses if the classes Disney offers on-site for free can't be transferred for credit to their own school.

Our college tells us she is the first student of theirs to attend this program. She will be dual-enrolled (one independent study internship for 4 semester hours at Franklin, and two pre-approved Disney courses for 4 semester hours each). Though the courses are provided free of charge by Disney (except for books and materials), she will still pay tuition to Franklin for 12 semester hours to maintain full-time college status. This way, she maintains her financial aid package and her health insurance through us.

If she's enrolled in college now, or can enroll at a local college of yours, I'd speak to their advisors to see if/how this may work for your child. I know some colleges already have this program established and can tell you what does/doesn't transfer, or what to enroll in to maintain full-time status. From what I've learned, each school is different in how they handle this situation. However, I also believe that the student has to be either approved or referred by his/her college as well. Again, I may be wrong....just trying to offer some advice from what I've read and learned from my daughter that will be arriving on Jan 11th for her Spring program.

Good Luck!

My DD isn't miserable- now that she is over the homesick part. I think she is having the time of her life. On her days off- she manages to always do something fun like go to the beach, etc... With that said she does not like her hours (very grueling), but I guess that is why she got hired- to work her tail off. I think she is learning a great deal about responsibility from the program. It is good for her to learn to not have mom or dad bail her out all the time. She keeps telling my DH how much she misses his cooking, and let me tell you- his head is swollen now!;)

I'm glad to hear your comments here! My daughter is 20, and has always been very independent, outgoing, and busy so I'm not concerned about the work pace - just her ability to maintain that pace as well as keep up with full-time college classes. I've always insisted she maintain part-time work hours here at home while in college, telling her that in my opinion, college is her full-time job right now.

She's what I call a "Disney Freak", and can't wait to check in on January 11th. My concern isn't that she'll be homesick, but not want to come back to Ohio when it's over! I also agree that it will be the perfect opportunity for her to have to take responsibility for herself now, and not have us to bail her out all the time, too! My husband is also the main cook at home, so I can just imagine her now learning to survive on the college "staple" of Ramen Noodles! Haha!

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice and support they can offer to all of us "parents" out here.....I'm still looking for advice concerning arrival, what to bring, what to expect, money, etc....that Disney may not include in their materials. I figure the best advice will be from veteran students and parents.

Thanks!

:cool1:

There's a fantastic and comprehensive review of the College Program written by an actual alum of the program at "letstalkdisney.com/working-in-disney-world-behind-the-magic." It is definitely worth a read.

"Fantastic and Comprehensive"??? Well, I do agree that it is a "review by an actual alum", but that's about as far as I can go. As a parent of one to arrive in January '10, everything I've read is extremely clear about the expectations Disney has for its participants. If you don't wish to abide by the rules, regardless of how strict you feel they may be, then don't accept the offer.

Yes, it's a paid internship. Yes, after rent is deducted there is not much left for things other than groceries. Yes, many parents may need to "contribute" a few dollars to help when not in peak season. However.....YES, the college classes you may take from Disney while in the program are FREE OF CHARGE (excluding textbooks). I don't know about anyone else's college tuition, but that totals approximately $1200/course at my daughter's University.

Furthermore, this person completely disregards what is learned from the experience itself - he at least taught us that he learned "bitterness" and how to behave unethically while an employee of Disney, right? I guess I just want to say that if you don't wish to abide by the rules, standards, ethics, morals, and integrity that Disney requires (and advises you of before arrival) then maybe this program is NOT for you.

JMHO:thumbsup2

Mollay,

My daughter is attending this Spring. She already wanted to apply, but was even more encouraged once she spoke to others that had completed the program. Maybe you can find someone for your mom to talk to, or have her read the information on the website. I believe it's a lot like living in a college dorm, along with working full-time for Disney. Furthermore, if you ask your college advisor, being able to list this on your resume is a HUGE plus - especially if you are studying anything in the Business, Public Relations, Event Planning, Management, etc...fields.

If you're on Facebook, there is a young lady named Mandy Cuckler that you may want to contact. She was in the program, and now live in Florida. Though I don't personally know her, I sent her a message to ask about her experience. She's been a GREAT source of encouragement and information for both my daughter and me.

Good luck!

What is traditions? I think I read this whole thread, but can't figure this out. thanks.
(Cross-posted from elsewhere)

Traditions is a class that serves to explain to new Walt Disney World Company Cast Members at the Disneyland Resort in California and Walt Disney World Resort in Florida the legacy and history of their respective resorts, the Walt Disney World Company, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, and The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, not to mention our Company's policies and Operating Procedures.

The concept was originally conceived when Disneyland Park opened in 1955. Walt Disney had a high level of expectations of the Employees who would be working his newest venture. They would be different from Amusement Park Employees of the day - namely friendly and well-kempt.

To this end, he recruited Van Arsdale France, a Training Consultant, who helped to found the University of Disneyland (the precursor to the modern Disney University) and develop the first Disneyland Park Employee Orientation Programme.

France realised that, in order to acheive Disney's goals, new Cast Members needed to be aware of the big picture, to know that they were doing something bigger than themselves. As such, the first new Employee Orientation Programmes focused on the idea that Disneyland Park Cast Members represented Walt Disney to the public, and that, as such, they needed to conduct themselves in a manner that would not only reflect well of them, but also of Walt Disney himself, as well as all of the Disney Organization.

However, after the untimely death of Walt Disney in 1966, and with the impending opening of the Walt Disney World Resort in 1971, it was felt that a different approach was necessary to address the new situation that the Company found itself in. As such, the idea was changed to focus on the fact that Walt had left behind a series of "Traditions" which would continue to guide the Company and it's actions despite his absence.

It is these fundamental ideas: things such as quality and attention to the details; this core concept that "We Create Happiness..." and make dreams come true for our Guests and Clients, that continue to form the basis for the modern Traditions class and form the backbone of everything we do at the Walt Disney World Company, as well as at The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

As to the dress code, all Walt Disney World Co. Cast Members attending Traditions or any other Company Class are expected to be in full compliance with the Non-Costumed Cast Member Guidelines specified in The Disney Look.

Vista Way apartments are closest to what Disney Resort? Need to make reservations soon. Thanks

It's a bit of a toss up. Anything close to DTD or the eastern edge of property is within reasonable driving distance. I would probably say your choice of Pop Century, Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, Caribbean Beach, and the Port Orleans Resorts.

Thanks for the reply. Now, are Chatham and Patterson near the same area? Do the CP students need to bring their own TV? Is there cable in each room or just in the living room?

Thanks for the reply. Now, are Chatham and Patterson near the same area? Do the CP students need to bring their own TV? Is there cable in each room or just in the living room?

Chatham and Patterson are next to each other. If you want a TV you will need to bring one or buy one there. My daughter is at Patterson and they have cable in the bedroom.

Mary,

You might want to do a little research on this. We're in Columbus, Ohio, and my daughter (and I) are currently full-time students at Franklin University. If you review the paperwork, this program is considered (and designed to be) a college internship that most colleges consider full-time attendance, if scheduled properly with their college advisor. In fact, Disney encourages them to be enrolled in online college courses if the classes Disney offers on-site for free can't be transferred for credit to their own school.

Our college tells us she is the first student of theirs to attend this program. She will be dual-enrolled (one independent study internship for 4 semester hours at Franklin, and two pre-approved Disney courses for 4 semester hours each). Though the courses are provided free of charge by Disney (except for books and materials), she will still pay tuition to Franklin for 12 semester hours to maintain full-time college status. This way, she maintains her financial aid package and her health insurance through us.

If she's enrolled in college now, or can enroll at a local college of yours, I'd speak to their advisors to see if/how this may work for your child. I know some colleges already have this program established and can tell you what does/doesn't transfer, or what to enroll in to maintain full-time status. From what I've learned, each school is different in how they handle this situation. However, I also believe that the student has to be either approved or referred by his/her college as well. Again, I may be wrong....just trying to offer some advice from what I've read and learned from my daughter that will be arriving on Jan 11th for her Spring program.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply re: health insurance. My DD situation is a little different in that her particular college is specialized (early childhood) and none of the courses that Disney offers can be applied toward her major (Elementary Ed). She has been researching this since she found out about the program in 9th grade and actually talked to the people at her college before enrolling about this. So -- even though she will not be able to get credit for her time and Disney, she is determined to do it.

I talked to my benefits manager again, and because we do live in CT there is a state law that says she has to be covered under my health insurance until the age of 26 with two conditions -- fulltime student or living in the state of ct. Since this is truly an Internship, my benefits managers says she will still be covered under the plan -- she will just loose dental/vision. We can live with that!

My DD can't wait and I know it will be a wonderful learning experience for her --even without the college credits!

In our apartment in Chatham there was not a cable hookup in the bedrooms, only in the living room. You would have to get a splitter and wire it around to get it.

My son was accepted into the c/p, his check in date is 1/27, he is driving up with his dad to arrive on 1/26. I will fly in on 1/26-how long should I stay? We plan on helping him get whatever he needs for the apt. Do we as parents get to see his living quarters? Is there anything for parents such as a meeting etc... ? or are they on their own? Perhaps should we come in earlier or is our date of 1/26 good? Will we get to see him at all? Any info helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter