College Program Parents Thread...

My DD checks in on 8/15 glad to see the post from Hopperfan. Very helpful. Hubby and I figure we'll just do our own thing for a few hours and if she has casting we'll go to one of the parks! We're staying on a few extra days (might as well make it a vacation!) So hopefully we'll get to see here in-between her orientation stuff.

Our DD checked in this past January. She had to be there at 9am and had casting right after. We didn't see her until a little after noon. We moved her and that took a while. Her bathroom was a mess. They left q-tips, band aids, bobby pins, etc all over the cabinets and floor. We went out to buy major cleaning supplies - including bleach. So glad we were there for her. She was free for several days after - since they don't get their main get for 3 days. She does have wonderful roommates and everyone was so friendly. Enjoy your time!

Does anyone know if the dcp kids get magic bands? It would seem logical if they were given them but I know they can be purchased. And are they convenient for dcp kids?

Does anyone know if the dcp kids get magic bands? It would seem logical if they were given them but I know they can be purchased. And are they convenient for dcp kids?

No they are not given magic bands. They get a main gate pass. My daughter has her magic band from when we stay there. My DD was able to link her main gate pass to her magic band.

Yes, my DD was given a free CM MagicBand. She started in August and it was a couple of months after she started when CMs started getting them.

Here is more info:
http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/magicbands-for-cast-members-coming-soon-in-a-special-box/
http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/heres-the-box-that-magicbands-come-in-for-cast-members/

They got magicbands for a certain amount of time but they don't now. My one daughter who started in August ended up getting one. My other daughter who started end of January didn't get one

Yes, CPs definitely get them. they can still purchase one if they would like something different

I'm guessing on check-in day it's best just to hang out at the hotel rather than be subjected to the DVC presentation. I just hate not knowing how to plan out those days! It's all so up in the air. Did anyone have a chance to 'hang out' with your kid during their first few days?

I flew down with my daughter on the Sunday before check in. I stayed at Vista while she checked in (parent area) and left when she got on the bus for casting. I just went to the hotel pool and read and returned to Vista when she called. We grabbed lunch and moved her into her apartment. She went random as far as roommates go, so we met a few of the other girls. I loaded her up with supplies from Wal-Mart and we got her settled in. She slept there that night and we got breakfast before her housing meeting. We did a little outlet shopping and I said goodbye. It was hard, but the right thing to do for us. She and the roommates went resort hopping and started their journey. I plan to repeat this plan with my other DD in January if things go as she hopes! You know how it is when you are moving, starting a new adventure, etc. She was terrified but she knew she needed to find her way those first few days on her own. She was just telling me a few minutes ago how homesick for the DCP she is!

I'm guessing on check-in day it's best just to hang out at the hotel rather than be subjected to the DVC presentation. I just hate not knowing how to plan out those days! It's all so up in the air. Did anyone have a chance to 'hang out' with your kid during their first few days?

We had a couple of meals with her on check in day and the next 2 days. For the most part she stayed at her apartment getting to know everyone.

My DD and I are flying to Orlando 2 days before check in on Sept 8th. She's bringing clothes, shoes, sheets, blanket and pillow, computer etc. We'll be picking up sun screen, cleaning supplies and some groceries for her apt while there. I'm sure we will forget something. What is an absolute must have for the next few months?

My understanding is that sometimes the dining plan is offered to CM's to add to a reservation at a discount, but not always. I'm not sure if the regular dining plan without discount can be added.

My DD and I are flying to Orlando 2 days before check in on Sept 8th. She's bringing clothes, shoes, sheets, blanket and pillow, computer etc. We'll be picking up sun screen, cleaning supplies and some groceries for her apt while there. I'm sure we will forget something. What is an absolute must have for the next few months?

My son just checked in this past Monday (8/10). He's at Traditions RIGHT NOW, so exciting.

We also flew in and checked 3 bags for him. We used the Travel Space Bags that you roll the air out of and got so much in those bags. I was surprised though at how much stuff we still ended up buying. A few of the items I can think of are, Power strip/extension cords, towels, push pins for the bulletin board, hamper, laundry basket, alarm clock, lock for the locker in his closet, hangers, water bottle, lunchbox, (he's hoping to take his lunch to work), cheap Glad Tupperware like containers, ziploc bags and baggies, mattress pad, inexpensive memory foam topper (the mattress was pretty hard), iron. He had found a packing list online that we used as a guideline.

The apartments are pretty empty. There are dishes but that's about it.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have as this is fresh in my mind. The whole move and check in was such a fun experience for both of us.

My son just checked in this past Monday (8/10). He's at Traditions RIGHT NOW, so exciting.

We also flew in and checked 3 bags for him. We used the Travel Space Bags that you roll the air out of and got so much in those bags. I was surprised though at how much stuff we still ended up buying. A few of the items I can think of are, Power strip/extension cords, towels, push pins for the bulletin board, hamper, laundry basket, alarm clock, lock for the locker in his closet, hangers, water bottle, lunchbox, (he's hoping to take his lunch to work), cheap Glad Tupperware like containers, ziploc bags and baggies, mattress pad, inexpensive memory foam topper (the mattress was pretty hard), iron. He had found a packing list online that we used as a guideline.

The apartments are pretty empty. There are dishes but that's about it.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have as this is fresh in my mind. The whole move and check in was such a fun experience for both of us.

Did you get a Mattress Bag aka "bed bug blocker"? HIGHLY suggest you do. Also many locations there is no fridge for your lunch, suggest he invest in small freeze pack for his lunchbox since he already has. DD took a PackIt with built in one. Worked well.

Did you get a Mattress Bag aka "bed bug blocker"? HIGHLY suggest you do. Also many locations there is no fridge for your lunch, suggest he invest in small freeze pack for his lunchbox since he already has. DD took a PackIt with built in one. Worked well.

Thank you. Yes we did get a freezer pack and the bedbug blocker :scared:, a memory foam pad AND a mattress pad. I was freaking out about the thought of bedbugs. :)

Just dropped off my DD to start her program. Here's how the day(s) went for us:
- Day one check in at 9:45am. We went with her to Vista. She got in line for check in we went to the parent tent. We got our family packet, button and water. We met several other parents it was very nice. DD was done in an hour. She had casting the next day. Some parents waited since their kids went directly to casting (a few hours). We moved DD into Patterson.
- Day two - On Tuesday DD went to casting DH and I went to the parks. We wore our Proud Parent buttons and met a lot of great CM's that shared great info.
- Day three - DD spent morning with us she had housing meeting at noon. (lasted 1 1/2 hrs). Met her later and went to parks. (she didn't have her free pass yet they get that at traditions)
- Day four - free day for DD
- Day Five - Friday - DD will have Traditions.
That's my DD's schedule. She starts Sunday training for her merchandise position at AOA!

How many days can a CP get off in a row. My daughter applied for the advantage program and has her interview this week. June 4-14 2016 we are going to visit family in Cuba. Yes, an opportunity of a lifetime. I'm just wondering if it will hurt her chances? Or would it be ok? Does someone know?

How many days can a CP get off in a row. My daughter applied for the advantage program and has her interview this week. June 4-14 2016 we are going to visit family in Cuba. Yes, an opportunity of a lifetime. I'm just wondering if it will hurt her chances? Or would it be ok? Does someone know?

It is hard to tell it could go either way. My biggest concern would be that although it is not a super busy week it is during the time frame that CPs are starting and ending their programs. Because of this they may be short on people that are trained. Make sure that she does tell them however.

Does anyone know if CPs can go to prepark opening breakfasts? I know EMH is out. The only time I could get Crystal Palace for is prepark and my sons will not go with me.

Thanks MickeyManiac for the info. And we also bought the mattress protector. Boopuff thanks for posting your DD schedule. We are so excited can hardly stand it! we leave in 3 days!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!