College Program Parents Thread...

Good luck to all the new CP' s! My oldest DD completed her program in January. She liked her 8-person apartment at Chatham and had no major problems. She's in serious Disney withdrawal right now-I thought she was going to cry in the Disney Store the other day. Younger DD will be applying in August so we are about to hop on the roller coaster again!

I have a question for all the parents who have children who participated in the program. We have our reservation for Disney and included our daughter on that reservation during the free dining promo so I had to buy her a ticket also. We intend to use that ticket at a later date. But how do I make fast pass reservations for her as a CM using her front gate pass? Is there a way to coordinate our times with hers? She does not arrive until August and our vacation is only 4 weeks later. Any guidance is appreciated.

I have a question for all the parents who have children who participated in the program. We have our reservation for Disney and included our daughter on that reservation during the free dining promo so I had to buy her a ticket also. We intend to use that ticket at a later date. But how do I make fast pass reservations for her as a CM using her front gate pass? Is there a way to coordinate our times with hers? She does not arrive until August and our vacation is only 4 weeks later. Any guidance is appreciated.

I did not include DD in FD in never occured to me to do so. Our trip is in Nov. She has already gotten 2 days cleared to be off. She got a deal for Hoop Dee Do one of the days and the other we are doing the Christmas party. I just plan on paying OOP for her.

For the ADRs I made I included her. Her brother did not. But since it is there are 3 of us we should be able to add a fourth.

I am not sure if she could use the FPs you make on her ticket with her front gate pass. Be sure to have it inactivated however before she goes in with you. Our DDs front gate pass shows up on my MDE account. Iam not sure if she can make FPt at 30 or 60 days.

She put in for 2 days in August and has not been cleared to get them off. I just checked she can only make FPs one week in advance

Last edited:
We visited my DD in December when magic bands/ FP' s were very new for CM' s. On the days we had advance FP' s for purchased tickets, DD was able to ask the ride hosts if she could ride with us- 100% success rate. She was able to reserve FP' s for us on her maingates the day before use. That might have changed, though.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/getting-fp-with-cm-guest-passes.3401052/

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before: My daughter is starting her CP in August. I'm planning a quick 3 day vacation around her drop off date. I've book a room only (as of now) at POP. Im debating getting an annual pass since we'll be visiting her at least 3 more times during her program. My thought on this are the annual pass gives us lots of discounts (the first trip in August we won't get any type of CP discount) We could use her CP maingate when we return in Oct (the family will be along) I'm just so confused how to book reservations at this point! Do I take a ticket with the package and cancel it? The other issue is I like to book a dining plan and you have to have a ticket to book that! Any advice would be great!

We went ahead and bought the AP. We also booked room only at POP. Once your AP is purchased you can make FP and see the AP room discounts.

One option would be to buy a package now to purchase the DP ( there is also a way to buy DP without tickets) and then upgrade to APs BEFORE your last day at the parks.

The tickets that your daughter will receive are limited and she will need to enter the 1st park with you.

Depending on the way you eat you might want to buy Tables in Wonderland insted of the DP. It costs $100 for AP holders but you get 20% off at most restaurants. There are blackout dates. You also can get 10% off at select restaurants and merchandise with your AP.

The CM discounts are great but you are dependent on your daughter getting time off from work.

I did not include DD in FD in never occured to me to do so. Our trip is in Nov. She has already gotten 2 days cleared to be off. She got a deal for Hoop Dee Do one of the days and the other we are doing the Christmas party. I just plan on paying OOP for her.

For the ADRs I made I included her. Her brother did not. But since it is there are 3 of us we should be able to add a fourth.

I am not sure if she could use the FPs you make on her ticket with her front gate pass. Be sure to have it inactivated however before she goes in with you. Our DDs front gate pass shows up on my MDE account. Iam not sure if she can make FPt at 30 or 60 days.

She put in for 2 days in August and has not been cleared to get them off. I just checked she can only make FPs one week in advance

How were you able to get the Hoop Dee Doo discount? We are seeing our son in December. What was the price?

How were you able to get the Hoop Dee Doo discount? We are seeing our son in December. What was the price?

What we wound up doing was she booked it on my MDE with my CC and went to Fort Wilderness and next day and had the difference 50% before tax credited back to me. The woman there said that there was a way to book the 50% but my daughter could not figure it out. It had to be for the 4pm or 8:30 pm shows.

If you try to do a mock booking it will give you prices for each catagory and the discount was 50$.

What we wound up doing was she booked it on my MDE with my CC and went to Fort Wilderness and next day and had the difference 50% before tax credited back to me. The woman there said that there was a way to book the 50% but my daughter could not figure it out. It had to be for the 4pm or 8:30 pm shows..

Easiest way is to call the Cast Reservation line - 407-WDW-CAST. They can make the booking over the phone, with the discount, so you don't need to deal with getting money credited back.

I just read that as of may that the hourly wage has increased for All Cast members to 9.50 an hour. Will the college program students get this new wage even though they signed the contract back in march?

I just read that as of may that the hourly wage has increased for All Cast members to 9.50 an hour. Will the college program students get this new wage even though they signed the contract back in march?

My DD was accepted for FA in March. She is there now and is getting the new $9.50 amount.

Got a few questions regarding logistics from seasoned parents for check in day.

DD checks in 8/17 for the fall semester. We are driving down a few days before in 2 cars; hers and ours. I want to be there check in day but I'm seeing different reports. Does she get there and line up at 7? Does she get an assigned time to check in? If she can check in earlier does it improve her her chances of getting in the complex of her choice? If we parents are there check in morning I know we get shuttled off to an waiting area and await her call. But when does she unload her suitcases etc for move in? Does she bring them with her to check in? Get them later? We will have a good bit of her things in our car. We also want to be able to take her to the store to get whatever she discovers she needs once she starts unpacking. Will that be possible on the 17th or will she just have to manage sometime after that, once we have left, in "all the spare time" she will have on her hands? I wish there was a better timeline/itinerary/explanation of events for parents so we can plan that day better. I'm such a planner I know I sound crazy but I hate the unknown and would rather have a better handle on what to expect. :-/ I'd also like to know f we would get a chance to see her before we head back home on the 18th.

Thanks from a frustrated mom.

DD checks in 8/17 for the fall semester. We are driving down a few days before in 2 cars; hers and ours. I want to be there check in day but I'm seeing different reports. Does she get there and line up at 7? Does she get an assigned time to check in? If she can check in earlier does it improve her her chances of getting in the complex of her choice? If we parents are there check in morning I know we get shuttled off to an waiting area and await her call. But when does she unload her suitcases etc for move in? Does she bring them with her to check in? Get them later? We will have a good bit of her things in our car. We also want to be able to take her to the store to get whatever she discovers she needs once she starts unpacking. Will that be possible on the 17th or will she just have to manage sometime after that, once we have left, in "all the spare time" she will have on her hands? I wish there was a better timeline/itinerary/explanation of events for parents so we can plan that day better. I'm such a planner I know I sound crazy but I hate the unknown and would rather have a better handle on what to expect. :-/ I'd also like to know f we would get a chance to see her before we head back home on the 18th.

This is what we did. We drove down in one car and fly back. We are however 20 hours away. The car was packed to the rims. DD was assigned a time to arrive. The arrival time is when they want you to get there. The complexes have already been assigned. She met with her room mates and the four of them went to check in DH and I took the time to shop.

She was gone for several hours. When she was done we met up with her and helped her unload her car. We then all went out to dinner and she went back to her apartment.

Similar to dpswift experience.

DD went on her own to check in as did all her roommates. DD said there were very few parents there. Everything including housing has been decided so there would be no advantage to her going earlier than her time. She will get a check in time. My DD did go early because she went with her "hopeful roommate" (DD picked her up from her hotel and drove her) and she showed her check in time to security so they were let through. She brought her printed out check in time with her to show security.

Her day went:
- Went through security showing check in time
- Parking made it seem crowded but not too bad, just not a lot of parking
- Got in line for temporary name tags and program guide
- Program guide had rules, guidelines, contact info and planner
- Lots more lines inside building
- Lines for receiving role and location, dorm information (and roommates), get keys, pictures for IDs
- Back outside to get scheduled for Casting and 3 of them scheduled immediately while 1 had the next day
- Speak with trainer about classes, health safety and housing events
- Waited on bus to go to casting
- At casting had to go to individual offices to talk to CMs about schedules and how to dress
- Received training schedule
- Discussed training and Q&A
- Turn in tax forms and get fingerprinted
- Overall this took about 4+ hours
- Girls headed together to their apartment
- Girls went to Walmart together, shopping for themselves and some apartment shared items

She returned to us at hotel around 5 pm. She was going to stay at apartment but all the roomies were doing one last night with their families. She didn't want to stay alone the first night (not afraid she had already lived alone) because she thought they should all stay the first night together. Next day started meetings and training, schedules varied among them.

She is not going to know how long she will be there for check in day or what her schedule is the next few days until she actually does check in. If you go with her you will may be waiting doing nothing for hours if she is sent to casting that day. Since she has a car I would have her go to check in then keep in touch with you. As soon as she is finishing for the day she can let you know and you can meet her at her complex to unload then hit Walmart/Target.

Similar to dpswift experience.

DD went on her own to check in as did all her roommates. DD said there were very few parents there. Everything including housing has been decided so there would be no advantage to her going earlier than her time. She will get a check in time. My DD did go early because she went with her "hopeful roommate" (DD picked her up from her hotel and drove her) and she showed her check in time to security so they were let through. She brought her printed out check in time with her to show security.

Her day went:
- Went through security showing check in time
- Parking made it seem crowded but not too bad, just not a lot of parking
- Got in line for temporary name tags and program guide
- Program guide had rules, guidelines, contact info and planner
- Lots more lines inside building
- Lines for receiving role and location, dorm information (and roommates), get keys, pictures for IDs
- Back outside to get scheduled for Casting and 3 of them scheduled immediately while 1 had the next day
- Speak with trainer about classes, health safety and housing events
- Waited on bus to go to casting
- At casting had to go to individual offices to talk to CMs about schedules and how to dress
- Received training schedule
- Discussed training and Q&A
- Turn in tax forms and get fingerprinted
- Overall this took about 4+ hours
- Girls headed together to their apartment
- Girls went to Walmart together, shopping for themselves and some apartment shared items

She returned to us at hotel around 5 pm. She was going to stay at apartment but all the roomies were doing one last night with their families. She didn't want to stay alone the first night (not afraid she had already lived alone) because she thought they should all stay the first night together. Next day started meetings and training, schedules varied among them.

She is not going to know how long she will be there for check in day or what her schedule is the next few days until she actually does check in. If you go with her you will may be waiting doing nothing for hours if she is sent to casting that day. Since she has a car I would have her go to check in then keep in touch with you. As soon as she is finishing for the day she can let you know and you can meet her at her complex to unload then hit Walmart/Target.

Thank you and dpswift so much! :worship: :thanks: This makes me feel so much better. We will let DD check herself in and catch up with her when she is available. Now we are just hoping she gets her roommate choice and the 4 others that have all coordinated to room together.

If any other parents want to chime in with their experience I'd love to hear it! :cool1:

Thank you and dpswift so much! :worship: :thanks: This makes me feel so much better. We will let DD check herself in and catch up with her when she is available. Now we are just hoping she gets her roommate choice and the 4 others that have all coordinated to room together.

If any other parents want to chime in with their experience I'd love to hear it! :cool1:

Thanks from a frustrated mom.[/QUOTE]

My mom went with me to checkin that was at 7am at Vista. She stayed in the car while I got in line to get my apartment, work assignment, etc. My casting wasn't until a couple hours, so we drove some stuff over to the apartment to unload and then I drove back to Vista to grab the bus to casting. At the time we hadn't been told that we would have to be there to get into the apartments, so my parents tried to drive back to Patterson to unload the rest while I was gone. Eventually security let them through, but just an FYI if you plan on moving stuff in while your kid is away. You don't have to be signed in since it's checkin day, but the CP does need to be there to get family into the complex. The apartments are assigned by checkin, especially now that there is DORMS so there is no point in getting there any earlier than you have to. After casting, we unloaded the rest of the stuff in the apartment and went and bought some food. I stayed at the apartment with everyone and met with my family to get lunch one last time before I had my housing meeting in the afternoon of the next day (or two days? I don't remember).

It's a pretty packed afternoon, but by around 3 you're done with all the meetings and stuff for the day (unless they've changed schedules). If she connected with her roommates on DORMS she should be fine. Me and 3 other girls got connected, but we did end up with 2 extra Australian roommates at checkin. They were great, but it does happen.

My DD checks in on 8/15 glad to see the post from Hopperfan. Very helpful. Hubby and I figure we'll just do our own thing for a few hours and if she has casting we'll go to one of the parks! We're staying on a few extra days (might as well make it a vacation!) So hopefully we'll get to see here in-between her orientation stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!