Coinstar anybody?

I'm interested in this as well. I have at least $600 in coins that I'd used towards our disney trip (paying for the DDP most likely) but I don't want that much in disney shopping .com gift certificates. I'd love to see if someone was able to successfully convert their disneyshopping.com gc from coinstar to real disney gc.

i hope someone can confirm this, if it works I will DEFINATELY run the 400+ in coins i have to coinstar and get the gc to pay for all our food for the week (not eligible for the dining plan :( )

My Credit Union won't take rolled coins. They will take anything under $200 without a fee. I just take it in every few months (before it gets to $200) and deposit it, then transfer it to my GMAC or ING account.

I may try convert disney shooping to disney dollars, since no one has given a confirmation. Won't be later tonight though. I may just try 5.00.
Let you know what happens!
Turns out you have to do it in increments of $25 on line to be a gc. Not sure I want to try this with $25, since I'd rather use it in the parks than on Disneyshopping! Don't think I need too much from Disney before my trip!

If there is truly no fee it sounds like a great deal.

My DH has 2 jars for change - one is just for pennies and the other is all silver change. The girls always want money to play with and put in their piggy bank etc and they get the pennies from DH's jar. When DH is low on spending money he will roll some of his silver money and take it to our bank. If you roll a little at a time it really isn't that hard/time consuming and I certainly wouldn't pay anyone to do it for me. DH spreads all the money out on the coffee table and watches TV while doing it. DD#1 is starting to help by counting out 10 quarters etc (then DH double checks before rolling)

Our Coinstar machine had quite a few choices of giftcards. I know that Borders giftcards were another option that no one has mentioned. Eddiebauer was another one, but that one might have been a code you had to use online.

According to the coinstar website there are several grocery stores in my area that give out e-certificates to Disneyshopping.com. If anyone finds out if you can use these for gift cards, please come back and let us know!!! Thanks!

Our Coinstar machine had quite a few choices of giftcards. I know that Borders giftcards were another option that no one has mentioned. Eddiebauer was another one, but that one might have been a code you had to use online.

The coinstar machine at my supermarket was out of starbucks cards BUT it allowed me to reload my starbucks card- no fee. Just fyi- I'd imagine the same is true for borders gift cards or AMC or some of the other "hard" gc that they offer.

I found this on the disney shopping site! I hope this helps!!

Can I purchase a new DisneyShopping.com Online Gift Card using another Online Gift Card, a Disney Gift Card, a Disney Store Gift Card, a DisneyShopping.com Gift Card or a Disney Rewards® Card?You can purchase a DisneyShopping.com Online Gift Card by using a Disney Rewards® Card. However, you cannot purchase an Online Gift Card using another Online Gift Card, a Disney Gift Card, a Disney Store Gift Card, an Enterprise Gift Card or a DisneyShopping.com Gift Card.

I was going to use coinstar for the same thing. Get the disneyshopping ecertificate and then just purchase giftcards for our trip. I even went as far as calling and asking!

I traded in coke points a while back for a disney shopping e card. I used that to buy a regular disney gc - at least I hink that is how I did it. Anyone else? This wouldn't be different, would it?

"How do I redeem my DisneyShopping.com Online Gift Card?
At DisneyShopping.com or DisneyStore.com, simply enter the DisneyShopping.com Online Gift Card number found in your recipient email into the Gift Card Information box on the payment page"...

But when I have a giftcard in my cart, that box in the payment section is greyed out and unclickable.

I traded in coke points a while back for a disney shopping e card. I used that to buy a regular disney gc - at least I hink that is how I did it. Anyone else? This wouldn't be different, would it?

If you did the same thing I did you got a "virtual Visa" and used that to buy the disney gift card. That was a good deal!

This may be long but I apologize... So I went to my Shaws today right before my 2nd shift od the day and thought I'd look into this disney gift card e-gift cert. thing to see if I could figure it out. (since I'm one of those people who has to see it with their own eyes or have it very clearly spelled out to me before I will believe it!) Not always a good trait...but anyway, So I figure I'll just dump what I have in my wallet into the coinstar to get that e-gift cert. So I hit the gift card selection, then on to Disney. I start reading the fine print which then tells me that there has to be at least 5 dollars worth of change, (I just wanted to get in a couple dollars, see if I could apply it to a WDW gift card online) So I've only got about 2 dollars worth. so I walk away thinking this was a waste. So determined me decides to go to service desk and ask for change(quarters) for a five. (the bill taker on the coinstar was broken!) So this woman give me change. She had no idea I was gonna go around the corner and just dump it in the machine. Anyhow so I start the process again, reading the fine print as I go along, $5 min. I got that and the next page of fine print clearly states that this e-gift certificate can not be used to purchase a Disney gift card online. So luckily I haven 't thrown the quarters on the machine by now, so instead of asking for my 5 back, I'm now lugging around 5 in quarters. So I start to think I'll pick up just few items at the grocery store, and think - hey I can go through self check out, the machine won't mind getting all these quarters, so I'm checking out and in goes quarter, and out comes quarter 1, as well as quarter 2 and quarter 3, so then I'm starting to reach my limit, so I put in my last dollar bill, and ten decide this machine was going to take my quarters!!!! So in goes the quarter again, and it took it, so I pumped 5 dollars worth of quarters into the self checkout lane because I apparently had nothing better to do tonight!!

So there's your answer, not the one I was looking for, but an answer none the less! Thanks for reading my rant!pirate:

This may be long but I apologize... So I went to my Shaws today right before my 2nd shift od the day and thought I'd look into this disney gift card e-gift cert. thing to see if I could figure it out. (since I'm one of those people who has to see it with their own eyes or have it very clearly spelled out to me before I will believe it!) Not always a good trait...but anyway, So I figure I'll just dump what I have in my wallet into the coinstar to get that e-gift cert. So I hit the gift card selection, then on to Disney. I start reading the fine print which then tells me that there has to be at least 5 dollars worth of change, (I just wanted to get in a couple dollars, see if I could apply it to a WDW gift card online) So I've only got about 2 dollars worth. so I walk away thinking this was a waste. So determined me decides to go to service desk and ask for change(quarters) for a five. (the bill taker on the coinstar was broken!) So this woman give me change. She had no idea I was gonna go around the corner and just dump it in the machine. Anyhow so I start the process again, reading the fine print as I go along, $5 min. I got that and the next page of fine print clearly states that this e-gift certificate can not be used to purchase a Disney gift card online. So luckily I haven 't thrown the quarters on the machine by now, so instead of asking for my 5 back, I'm now lugging around 5 in quarters. So I start to think I'll pick up just few items at the grocery store, and think - hey I can go through self check out, the machine won't mind getting all these quarters, so I'm checking out and in goes quarter, and out comes quarter 1, as well as quarter 2 and quarter 3, so then I'm starting to reach my limit, so I put in my last dollar bill, and ten decide this machine was going to take my quarters!!!! So in goes the quarter again, and it took it, so I pumped 5 dollars worth of quarters into the self checkout lane because I apparently had nothing better to do tonight!!

So there's your answer, not the one I was looking for, but an answer none the less! Thanks for reading my rant!pirate:

:rotfl: thanks for the update! I would have just thrown the quarters into my change jar :goodvibes I hope nobody was behind you :laughing:

I went and poked around on the Coinstar site to see all the different offers.
One of the stores in my area offers a pre-paid Mastercard in their machine! :bitelip:

Those can be spent anywhere that takes a disney dollars card! Easy! Easy! Easy! If you get the pre-paid Mastercard, it could be spent at WDW just like a Disney Visa Rewards card or anything else could be used.

Just thought I'd let everybody know since it doesn't look like the Disney shopping card from the coinstar machines can be used to buy Disney dollars.

To find a machine in your area that has that or something similar, go to www.coinstar.com. At the top it will say "Locate a Machine Near You." Click on that. On the left type in your info to search your area. It will give a list of Coinstar locations. For each location, it gives a "products" link. Click on each one to see a list of available products.

ETA: Nevermind. It looks like the fee is charged for the pre-paid mastercard.

Most prepaid credit cards charge about $10 fee. I would be surprised if this was not the case with the coinstar version.

at many banks they allow children to bring in coins. I haven't needed to do this here yet, so I'm not sure if my new bank does, but my bank in Missouri was happy to take coins...unrolled!...from kids!

We pick up loose change and found money and put it in a big bank to save for spending money for Disney trips. Last trip the boys had over $50. All but $20 was coins and the bank was more than happy to count and roll the coins.

Their policy was that you had to fill out a blank deposit slip and leave the coins in one of their bags. During "down" times the cashiers would work on rolling the coins. It took about 3 days to have the money credited to the account, but when you're talking about almost $40 in pennies and nickles, it was worth the wait!

We've had a bunch of containers filled with pennies, sitting around for years. DH and I took some of them (2 64oz pickle containers) to CVS this morning to check out the coinstar machine and gift card options. We both bet how much we thought it would be...he bet $5 bucks and I bet $16. We were shocked and happy to see when it finally stopped counting, that our total was $38.74. We picked the CVS gift card option so there was no charge. I figure since I shop there anyway, it will cover the cost of toiletries, meds, sunscreen and summer things for our cruise this summer.

So I'm confused - do banks want the coins rolled or unrolled? I have a HUGE vase 75% filled with coins from six years of marriage. (Minus the last six months when someone discovered "money for piggy!" and started snatching coins. :rolleyes1 ) I started rolling them but DH said to stop because banks won't take them rolled.

So I'm confused - do banks want the coins rolled or unrolled? I have a HUGE vase 75% filled with coins from six years of marriage. (Minus the last six months when someone discovered "money for piggy!" and started snatching coins. :rolleyes1 ) I started rolling them but DH said to stop because banks won't take them rolled.

It depends on the bank. My credit unions only take them rolled. Chevy Chase Bank here in the DC area have machines (like coinstar) that you can use for free. I refuse to use Coinstar since they charge so much (or they used to) to use their machines. I'd rather spend a few evenings rolling my own coins.

Yep you would have to check with your bank on whether or not
1) they accept coins
2) they want them rolled / unrolled.

If you check out the coinstars in your area and they have giftcard/codes that you would use, then the coinstar is a good option. If they are not something you would use then...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter