Coffee on the Verandah -The Last Slide, Recap & Souvies 5/29 - Link to Aulani TR 5/31

Cynthia, one thing to remember about walking: as long as the first bookable day is still within your already booked time, nobody can book your room away from you for your future days.

If you look at it like this: there are rooms A, B and C. you have room A booked for days 1 to 5, rooms B and C are booked also. Someone trying to book something when the booking window for day 3 opens might see availability for days 6 to 8, but can't book them as they could only book them as a consecutive reservation starting at day 3, but for day three everything is booked. If room B is only booked days 1 through 3, someone could then get a reservation for days 3 through 8, but that would be for room B, not your room A.

So, once you have your starting booking for walking, you only need to make sure to call at some point during the last day of your starting reservation (, i.e. the day before your check-out date, in the example the day the booking window opens for day 4) to get your reservation moved ahead in time.

Hope this makes sense. :crazy2:

Mnnn, yes and no. Two things.

First and primary at the moment is my of not being able to get a bookable day to even get it started now that it is gone 2 days out. If folks are walking, and I'm sure they are, it is very possible this trend will continue and there will no longer be a day "one" available to book if the next day is gone before booking opens for that day as it is within someone else's window.

Second is that even if I am able to get it started, someone else doing the same thing could effectively take my room for future days depending on configurations of 1B/2B/Studio bookings as well as the ability to book further out online than I can on the starting date.

So for example the following could occur I would think. For simplification reasons lets say there are only 2 potential 2b's avail for the category I want but all can be booked as studio/1b/2b.

on 12/26
I book a 2B for 3 nights (26-29)
Someone else books a 1B for 7 nights (26-1)
Another party books a studio for 7 nights (26-1)

on 12/27
someone books online, a studio for 5 nights (27-31)

When I call at 9am on the 27th to walk, I cannot extend my 2B booking by a night as the 30th is now taken by the studio, leaving a 1B avail to book but not a 2.

If you have enough points to walk a full 7 nights and call each day then yes, you should be fully safe but I'm not sure that waiting until the last day of the reservation is enough time to protect you from the above scenario, just too many variables with check in/out and configurations. Unless I'm missing something.

I figure the reality is there are around 37 or so 2B's potentially available for booking in the BW view category (more or less). Total swag on that looking at the map which appears to be 25% BW, 50% P/G and 25% standard. It may be a little less, standard actually appears to be more. It also means only 37 studios or 1B's and since both are needed for the reservation (no dedicated 2B's), it definitely shows how it could be difficult.

Yes, I'm over thinking this to death. The studio bookings are definitely a huge factor, those are sold out to match the 2B sold out categories but 1B's are still available for all.

Oh Cynthia - Good luck! That's all the help I can offer!

Do you have a job where you are an analyst of sorts? I know you like spreadsheets! You have a analytical mind - I hope this planning doesn't make you nuts!

My head hurts! This is why I never plan too far ahead. :rotfl: Good luck!!!!!!

Jill in CO

Cynthia, why is it that all your trips have this kind of 'problem' with the planning? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Time to break out one of your trusty spreadsheets me thinks. pirate:

I like days without a plan! So much more relaxed :)
Sometimes they work, and sometimes we get into the

"I don't know, what do you want to do?"

"I don't know, what do you want to do?"

And no one can decide, or everyone wants something different and we end up paralyzed and unable to move forward.

I wonder why they would make such a drastic change to the gym design and location?

Well I don't think it's actually drastic, it's more of a swap. On the Wonder the Spa is on the side and the gym on the back. Opposite on the Dream. While I didn't do the full spa on the Wonder, the Mani Pedi area was on the side and it was a comparable view to the gym on the Dream. Not nearly as cool as the full back! So I'm sure the spa view is amazing on the Dream.

Palo had a similar treatment. It's a solo venture on the Wonder but on the dream they split the space between Palo and Remy and stuck a lounge in the middle. I do think all the views suffered a little as a result.

Palo brunch looks delicious! And it is weird to see it so empty!

Your sons message is funny, JUST Evan went lol Poor guy had to go all by himself!

I just don't get it at all, the only thing I can think of is that the ship was a lot of first timers?

Evan's note was funny. I got a distinct sense of him feeling put upon that JUST he wanted to go to breakfast.

Subbing in... Love your report so far. We sailed on the Dream last May.. can't get enough!! Great pics!!:lovestruc

Thank you so much and :welcome:! It is a lovely lovely ship!

Oh wow, the buffet looks amazing! Thanks for taking pictures of all of the food. (Seems like Jeff just puts up with it by this point! :laughing:) You guys had pretty good appetites. :thumbsup2

Nice way of saying we gorged ourselves silly. Thanks! Well, we didn't eat the whole pizza...I don't think.

:rotfl:

Yes, he puts up with it and even angles his plate at times for a shot. All the kids do now. It's pretty funny.

Uh oh, do I note some ominous foreshadowing about Kendall's appointment?

Dun dun dun!

We shall see

Love the dress you're wearing at Palo. :thumbsup2

Breakfast looks amazing. And I'm proud of you for working out. I always say and think I'm going to work out on vacation and it rarely happens.

It was a lousy workout, I was kind of bummed as I knew it probably wouldn't happen again on the trip. I'd been doing ok until then, 3 workouts total including this one and we were on day 8 so not awful. Historically my approach has been it's vacation but as I age I guess, it bugs me more not to. I didn't do as well on the Oct trip as I'd have liked either but did get a couple in at least and every little bit helps!

I think the ability to let the kids fend for themselves would be enough for Michael to agree to a cruise. Seriously awesome!

It's not even just fending for themselves. They LOVE the freedom and there is so much for them to do! The teens have their own sundeck for pete's sake with no adults!

Thanks for the French Onion soup recipe, I'll pass it along to Michael. ;) I'll get his grilled cheese with béchamel and post it. You'll flip, it's amazing.

I bet his is as good or better but if he tries it, let me know what you think!

I just wanted to say that one of these days, I will get around to reading this and figuring out what the inside joke is about coffee on the verandah... :rotfl:

Blame your fellow DISdad's for that one, that's all I have to say.

Wow! I can't believe how well the border matches Kendall's dress!

It really does, doesn't it! Too bad I covered it up with the frame.

The color on your dress is spectacular. Sorry that you don't really love it anymore. :(

Oh I love love love the color, and the back of the dress. Just don't love the way it fits anymore and that bums me out. It was always a loose style anyway. It is a petty complaint I realize and I should shut up. I may try to get it taken in, I don't know. I love color, especially vibrant ones like that.

Sounds like a great afternoon, show and dinner. I loved hearing about your meeting with Captain Gus.

The meals looked fabulous!!! Thanks for sharing the onion soup recipe. I'll have to try that. The one I usually make is very simple.

Captain Gus was wonderful and the entire evening was just about perfect on every level. Other than having a fair amount of different alcohols in it to cook down (and the only reason I have brandy and sherry in the house anyway is for that reason) it's a pretty simple recipe, just a little time while it reduces.

Just read your Palo update. What amazing looking food!!!!!!!!!

Soooooo yummy!

I think I have figured out part of the reason behind your relaxing family vacation. Some wonderful shared time as a family is great, but having time for just the two of you, and the kids having some of their own time and space. Sounds like a great recipe to me.

I hope the rest of the day is magical. But not a disappearing kid kind of magical.

It is a huge part of what I love about the cruises, we do get that chance to have adult only time in the midst of a family trip. Much as Jeff might like to plan exotic getaways for just the 2 of us, this is a much more achievable thing while not having to deal with care for the kids while we are gone and the inevitable guilt for not taking them on a vacation. Is it the same as a couples only trip? No, but it's an awful lot of "date night" type time together with happy kids and yes, that is very relaxing!

Well, now I'm really looking forward to brunch at Palo - on the Wonder! I hope it's not too hard to get - I will have to figure out which days it's offered. That food looked SOOOO good!
Thanks for the recipes - I may have to try my hand at at least one of them!

Kendall is MIA? Uh oh.

You should have it 2 days I think. Tracy Arm day and at Sea day at least. Possibly on a port day if it's a late arrival to port. You will want to try and book on the first day you can, you can always cancel! There used to be a tea as well but I think that's stopped now.

It's a good time of year for soups & stews, I've been doing a lot of them lately. Comfort food season for sure!

Yep, MIA.

great update Cynthia!

Palo looks so delicious, I really can't wait to try it myself! So, did you think 11 was a good time for a reservation? Not sure how much of a choice we are going to have, but I don't want to be there right at 10, but then would hate to be rushed in the end as well.

For my tummy, it was perfect! I don't typically eat breakfast but rather have an early lunch so it worked well for me. Jeff was starving by then. I think on the Wonder we had it at 10 and that was a little early at least for me...we ended up gorging on french fries outside at Tracy Arm later in the day as we got a little too hungry late in the day.

I have grand plans of bringing my exercise clothes with me while on vacation. I am not sure however, how much I am going to use them. But you writing about the gym on the Wonder makes me want to try it out very much, so that's a great motivation!

I was in a bike phase then and both they, and the treadmills faced the windows directly, it was SO cool! We were in there as we pulled out of port and watched the whole thing. I can't recall where the elliptical were. On the dream I think it was all treadmills next to the window and everything else set back so the whole thing just felt a little darker. Do go, at least once if you can.

I came over here on the right day, as I can finally look at food (for the first time since Sunday afternoon) without turning green. :laughing: Now I can appreciate your food pictures and even give a big :thumbsup2 to that pizza. That's a good, good sign for this day! :cool1:

I am so glad you are feeling better! Poor Jeff has a bug and he hasn't had the flu in 17 years (according to him anyway). The pizza was wonderful, I really liked the grape/gorgonzola combo.

My goodness, that FE is full of goodies! I look forward to seeing all the treasures you ended up with.

So many treasures! It was a wonderful FE group, just the perfect size. It was stuffed every day! I forgot to even mention the previous day that the E's had done round 1 of our deliveries but it does explain part of what they did between our getting back on the ship and then dinner!

And thanks for the soup recipe and information. I will definitely be giving that one a try!

I hope you like it :goodvibes

Mnnn, yes and no. Two things.

First and primary at the moment is my of not being able to get a bookable day to even get it started now that it is gone 2 days out. If folks are walking, and I'm sure they are, it is very possible this trend will continue and there will no longer be a day "one" available to book if the next day is gone before booking opens for that day as it is within someone else's window.

Second is that even if I am able to get it started, someone else doing the same thing could effectively take my room for future days depending on configurations of 1B/2B/Studio bookings as well as the ability to book further out online than I can on the starting date.

So for example the following could occur I would think. For simplification reasons lets say there are only 2 potential 2b's avail for the category I want but all can be booked as studio/1b/2b.

on 12/26
I book a 2B for 3 nights (26-29)
Someone else books a 1B for 7 nights (26-1)
Another party books a studio for 7 nights (26-1)

on 12/27
someone books online, a studio for 5 nights (27-31)

When I call at 9am on the 27th to walk, I cannot extend my 2B booking by a night as the 30th is now taken by the studio, leaving a 1B avail to book but not a 2.

If you have enough points to walk a full 7 nights and call each day then yes, you should be fully safe but I'm not sure that waiting until the last day of the reservation is enough time to protect you from the above scenario, just too many variables with check in/out and configurations. Unless I'm missing something.

I figure the reality is there are around 37 or so 2B's potentially available for booking in the BW view category (more or less). Total swag on that looking at the map which appears to be 25% BW, 50% P/G and 25% standard. It may be a little less, standard actually appears to be more. It also means only 37 studios or 1B's and since both are needed for the reservation (no dedicated 2B's), it definitely shows how it could be difficult.

Yes, I'm over thinking this to death. The studio bookings are definitely a huge factor, those are sold out to match the 2B sold out categories but 1B's are still available for all.

I understand your thinking, but I think you are wrong. If someone books a studio for a day you have already a 2-bedroom, they will be in another available studio, not your lock-off one as they cannot have your lock-off one for that night you have it booked. So it does not matter whether their stay is longer than yours as they would just stay in the studio they have on the night that you already have your 2-bedroom.

This only works with the 11-months window. Since nobody can book a vacation starting further out, the number of people having reservation for nights further out than exactly 11 months out always has to be equal or lower than the number of people having reservation for the 11-months window day.

I wish I could explain this more clearly. Maybe if you imagine a huge chart where every room is a line. Reservations beyond the 11-months window can only ever go as parallel lines to one room with a starting point in the 11-months window. They can't jump to another room.

I have finally caught up on this TR!!! No, I haven't been very productive at work so far today. :rolleyes1

Now maybe I'll be able to keep up from now on.

Happy to provide an alternative to real work.

Good luck with your New Years plans. I've got no viable advice, but I wish you luck!:thumbsup2

Thanks Andy, I think I'm gonna need it. I'm obsessing over it which is ridiculous and even though I know it's ridiculous, I'm still obsessing.

Oh Lord Have Mercy! I can offer nothing but a "I sure hope things work out the way you want them to." :thumbsup2

Thanks Lisa, me too!

Oh Cynthia - Good luck! That's all the help I can offer!

Do you have a job where you are an analyst of sorts? I know you like spreadsheets! You have a analytical mind - I hope this planning doesn't make you nuts!

Over analytical. Which there is another word for....

No, not really. Sort of. I'm in business development so there is some analysis involved (and right now budgeting so my head hurts) but generally speaking I'm only an analyst as far as assessing market strategy and business opportunities and positioning my team and company well for both.

Today I am not loving spreadsheets but that might be more I'm not loving the fact that people unerringly seem to delete or write over spreadsheets in areas they shouldn't but yet I get yelled at if I lock the cells so they can't.

Yell might be strong, the headache is more likely due to co workers color coding ever other cell in a way only meaningful to them. Which is fine if it's your's but oh...it makes my eyes hurt!

I wouldn't say it's making me nuts. I mean I did know that NYE was the single most popular night for DVC. I did know that the resort and view I want is one of the very most difficult to get for NYE (and other times) even at 11m out). I do think I'll be able, at a minimum, to get a pool/garden view. It just isn't what I want and so more than anything, it's making me sad...and a little mad. Mad in the sense that I really don't want to deal with "walking", sad that to get what I want it is becoming apparent that I will have to and even more sad that I may have already missed the boat to do so. Which then makes me mad at myself.

I don't have the heart to tell Jeff until all is said and done. I think the kids would be just as happy with the pool view but I'm going to have a sad DH if I can't pull of BW view after getting the add on there and I'll be a train wreck if I can't get pool/garden because I waited hoping BW would open back up.

My head hurts! This is why I never plan too far ahead. :rotfl: Good luck!!!!!!

Jill in CO

I'd love to say that this is the farthest out we've ever planned but...that's not true, the big trip with Jeff's side was planned along the same lines and first round of bookings at 11m. Which, for that one, could have been done later but it was surprisingly hard. It's only when we are so set on something specific that it becomes hard I think. At the end of the day we will get something and be there but it will make me ill if I end up not being able to book the full trip till 7m as a result of this. I'm sure that won't happen but we may well have to compromise on view and that's a bummer.

Cynthia, why is it that all your trips have this kind of 'problem' with the planning? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Well besides the fact that I overplan, think too much and am going after one of the most difficult things to get? No idea

Heck, this is nothing, there is other drama for this trip but I'm not going there yet as, as far as I'm concerned until I ahve my villa booked the rest is a bit irrelevant and I can only control me.

And Jeff
And the E's

Shhhh don't tell them!

Just you wait...you will be outgrowing a regular room very soon.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Time to break out one of your trusty spreadsheets me thinks. pirate:

Checked that box a while ago. :lmao:

I figured that much. I didn't read the banter, so I'm sure I missed out on it... not that it takes a lot of imagination to put some of it together... :rotfl2::lmao:

True enough! Although apparently some people have plenty of it (imagination that is) :rotfl:

I understand your thinking, but I think you are wrong. If someone books a studio for a day you have already a 2-bedroom, they will be in another available studio, not your lock-off one as they cannot have your lock-off one for that night you have it booked. So it does not matter whether their stay is longer than yours as they would just stay in the studio they have on the night that you already have your 2-bedroom.

This only works with the 11-months window. Since nobody can book a vacation starting further out, the number of people having reservation for nights further out than exactly 11 months out always has to be equal or lower than the number of people having reservation for the 11-months window day.

I wish I could explain this more clearly. Maybe if you imagine a huge chart where every room is a line. Reservations beyond the 11-months window can only ever go as parallel lines to one room with a starting point in the 11-months window. They can't jump to another room.

I understand what you are saying, I'm just not sure I trust that the system is actually that linear. If it is then yes what you are saying makes absolute sense, but given that they do overbook at times, somehow, it makes me a little less sure it is quite that much of a direct relationship. I hope so.

Still have to get that first day though so right now I'm on hold till Sat unless somehow tomorrow really opens up and I can start the walk then. Seems odd to start it before I'd even get to the day I want but with 11m and 11+1 gone already it makes me nervous.

I guess the plan for now is that starting tomorrow if I see it open, I jump on it and start walking. Sat would be better for my dates, and has a better chance since tomorrow is already booked unless someone drops xmas day (unlikely!). If it's still at 11+1 tomorrow I just keep checking and hoping I can get a day 1 between now and the 29th and nothing past that fills up. That parts pretty straightforward really, and at present, out of my hands until a day is open.

The quandary becomes what to do if I see the 11+1 continue each day, effectively locking me out of even starting a reservation. Do I book an alternate view and waitlist what I want or wait until my 11m day to book the alternate view, keeping my options as open as possible? This assumes the pool garden stays available and I don't know that will be the case, it is sold out for the 22nd and actually sold out around the 20th. However, it is still available right now, which is encouraging.

At the end of the day I want to hold out for that BW view but don't want to miss my chance to book pool/garden and end up with nothing.

I really think this will all work out since I assume lots will book to "hold" it and end up cancelling it.

To give you any hpe I was able to book Dec 30 - Jan 3 about 2-3 months out. It was a studio and lots of 1b were left but the studios were hard to come by.

I had the beginning and the end and had to wait for dec 31 on a waitlist for a while. Ended up with a split SSR and AKL but the point is I got it.

I know you have your heart set on something specific and hopefully it will work. If not out of the gate then a waitlist should take care of it. :hug:

I really think this will all work out since I assume lots will book to "hold" it and end up cancelling it.

To give you any hpe I was able to book Dec 30 - Jan 3 about 2-3 months out. It was a studio and lots of 1b were left but the studios were hard to come by.

I had the beginning and the end and had to wait for dec 31 on a waitlist for a while. Ended up with a split SSR and AKL but the point is I got it.

I know you have your heart set on something specific and hopefully it will work. If not out of the gate then a waitlist should take care of it. :hug:

Yeah, I'm not really worried about being able to get a villa. Being able to get the 2B BW view is a concern. We will live and we will be there no matter what but if for some reason we aren't at Boardwalk it will complicate other things so hopefully it will work out. And honestly there is drama in that area that can't really resolve until we have a booking and may not even then so...all I am doing is worrying about us at the moment.

Right now I have a good feeling about pool/garden view at a minimum, it's the BW view that is at risk. We will see, it will be an interesting weekend. As expected the 25th was still gone all day today. Interestingly enough though, the 24th opened back up. I did put in a couple of waitlists to start the "walk" as that will not impact my ability to book online at 8am tomorrow if something is available and then I will walk from there but I figured it couldn't hurt, especially after I read of someone having a standard view studio waitlist filled the same day they put it in (put in on the 24th, for the 23rd) as that may explain some of what is happening to folks when they log in at 8, see things are available but by the time they click through to book, they are gone.

At some point through I'll have to decide whether or not to just book the other view and commit more to a waitlist.

And with entering info for 8 folks, that could happen to me. LOL! We will see.

Cynthia, I don't really know if that's possible, but can you waitlist a different view?
I waitlisted for the first time for BLT and we were only 5 weeks out. Got it the next day. I know you are going at Christmas time, but people DO cancel.

Sorry, I guess I am not much help. :flower3:

dizneeat said:
Cynthia, I don't really know if that's possible, but can you waitlist a different view?
I waitlisted for the first time for BLT and we were only 5 weeks out. Got it the next day. I know you are going at Christmas time, but people DO cancel.

Sorry, I guess I am not much help. :flower3:

Oh certainly. It is possible, perhaps even probable that pool/garden will be avail at 11m exactly so I could book that and wait list bw view. Looks like the actual # of bw view 2b's is closer to 30 or less so not a lot of inventory at all!

As of this morning though I am hopeful I will not need to. Walking has commenced! I really didn't want to walk but versus the alternative seemed needed. And, while I know I don't have to do it daily, I will. For 2 reasons. 1st to free up a night that might be really needed by someone and 2nd to get closer to my real dates that much faster. I'll breathe easier on Monday after NYE and NYD is secured but at least I have our check in day!

Kind of a good thing I had to do a practice run, had I not I might not have had all the kids ages and addresses handy, that took a bit to enter.

Oh certainly. It is possible, perhaps even probable that pool/garden will be avail at 11m exactly so I could book that and wait list bw view. Looks like the actual # of bw view 2b's is closer to 30 or less so not a lot of inventory at all!

As of this morning though I am hopeful I will not need to. Walking has commenced! I really didn't want to walk but versus the alternative seemed needed. And, while I know I don't have to do it daily, I will. For 2 reasons. 1st to free up a night that might be really needed by someone and 2nd to get closer to my real dates that much faster. I'll breathe easier on Monday after NYE and NYD is secured but at least I have our check in day!

Kind of a good thing I had to do a practice run, had I not I might not have had all the kids ages and addresses handy, that took a bit to enter.

I am so happy to hear it works out! Waiting and stalking the site is nervewrecking. ;)
If only they knew what we are going through to get those special reservations.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you! :hug:

dizneeat said:
I am so happy to hear it works out! Waiting and stalking the site is nervewrecking. ;)
If only they knew what we are going through to get those special reservations.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you! :hug:

Oh I'm sure they do! And love it. Supply and demand. Holy cats I just learned there are only 22 bw view 2b's. Makes me feel better about walking.

Cynthia, good luck! I am sure once you got your foot in the door you will be fine!!! :thumbsup2

Cynthia, good luck! I am sure once you got your foot in the door you will be fine!!! :thumbsup2

Thanks, I sure hope so and that it truly is a 1:1 ratio like that. I won't relax until it's done but feel a LOT better now that our foot is in the door. I will be mostly relaxed after Monday though as that gets us through the holiday. I knew there weren't many but really had no idea it was as low as 22. Knowing that makes me feel much less guilty about walking and even though I don't "have" to call tomorrow, I plan to as I hate the idea of tying it up for someone else. It's only 3 days/calls so in the big picture not all that bad and I am grateful I don't have to try to be online at 5am again, that is not fun! I actually woke at 4:20, had the alarm set for 4:45 so of course couldn't get back to sleep. I'm sure I will fade earlier than usual tonight.

Kind of funny, in classic Disney booking style my ressie lists my sister as the first adult, not me. I called MS as I've no idea if they will do red eye with us or not and don't want them to to be the ones to have to check in and she said I show as primary on there on their end but "the system likes to mix up the names" when it books and that "adult 1" didn't mean anything. She was pretty cute about it! It's odd though, and I never noticed it before but you would think if -you are adding a child to a ressie it should automatically assume that the child isn't a member (as who puts a minor on a deed?) but no, I had to go through and check it every time.

Oh my! Your DVC walking/not-walking scenarios have my head spinning! And I know about the "other drama" for the trip...OY! I'm glad you were able to get your foot in the door this AM, hopefully we will continue to hear the good reports and you'll have your room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter