1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Cobblestones at POFQ

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by monkey0816, Jan 21, 2013.

1. monkey0816

monkey0816 Earning My Ears

We are thinking of staying at POFQ with my father who is in a wheelchair. He also has back pain that is made worse when being pushed over bumps or driving over bumps in the car. I saw in some of the descriptions that there are cobblestones at the resort. How "bumpy" are they? Are they all over the main walkways of the resort or just in specific areas? Are there certain buildings there that we could stay in that would avoid some or all of cobblestone areas? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jmartinez1895

jmartinez1895 DIS Veteran

It has been a while since we stayed there, so this is only me trying my best to recall. If you are driving and ask to be in an accessible room, there are sidewalks that connect the parking lot to the buildings and that would be smooth. If you will be using buses then ask to be in a room near transportation due to medical need. THat way you will be closer to the sidewalks as well. I think that the stones are in the "roads" that run all through the resort that act as pathways to different locations, but you could navigate around the buildings using sidewalks, it would just talk a little bit of extra time.
    I hope that someone who has stayed more recently can come along and help.

I don;t know your plans, but AK pathways are also very bumpy and may be an issue for your group.

4. monkey0816

Thank you--that is encouraging! As long as there is a way around the cobblestones, we don't mind taking a little extra time to get around. Thanks also for the tip about AK. Fortunately, we are only doing MK and EPCOT this trip.

5. Mom2six

Mom2six DIS Veteran

We walked all around the resort with a stroller and had no issues. It was not bumpy for the most part. I don't know if there were a few areas that were bumpy, but we didn't see them.

6. clanmcculloch

clanmcculloch DIS Veteran

What I remember is that the roads were cobblestone and the sidewalks weren't. So crossing the street was bumpier than the rest of the way around. One of our POFQ stays was the trip where DD12 was in a wheelchair. Granted she was lighter than an adult and her chair was smaller than an adult, but as the person who was pushing her, it wasn't difficult. I definitely remember making sure to use the smooth routes as much as possible but the cobblestone wasn't difficult.

7. EastYorkDisneyFan

EastYorkDisneyFan DIS Veteran

8. monkey0816

Thanks, everyone, for the info and the pictures!

9. I Love Pluto

I Love Pluto DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>I guess that make

The sidewalks are concrete, the streets are paved. The only place your Dad might have some trouble is down by the river. That pathway is difficult due to the concrete having a "pebble-type" feel as you are riding an ECV or wheelchair over it. I have spinal cord issues - have stayed at POFQ successfully many times. We avoid the sidewalk by the river.

Enjoy POFQ! It is NICE there! Everything is ramped perfectly! :goodvibes