Clothes for a cruise

mhawk4

Mouseketeer
What type of clothes does one wear on a cruise? The basics, shorts, skirts, etc. I am assuming but should I bring anything else. We are doing on the Dream in April of 2012 so I have plenty of time to prepare, but I also have a budget to work with.

I currently hate my summer clothes, but since I am off from work in the summer I don't worry about it much. When I do go back to work in August I am in an office that is over air conditioned and I get cold all of the time so wear pants and sweaters.

I would love to start building a better summer and cruising wardrobe. Any suggestions. I must say I hate shopping and have the hardest time finding clothes. I have a true hour glass shape.

I have that wonderful hourglass figure as well, so shopping for shorts and such just drives me crazy.. Nothing ever looks right!!

Anyhoo, I wore capri's, shorts and then baggy tops. We did get dressed up for dinner on Semi Formal night, but on a 4 night I would probably just go with a pair of black slacks and a nice top for that evening. I would recommend a couple of pairs of either shorts or capri's, shirts, and then mix and match the whole cruise. And oh yeah, I lived in flip flops the whole time :) HTH, have a great cruise

Anyhoo, I wore capri's, shorts and then baggy tops. We did get dressed up for dinner on Semi Formal night, but on a 4 night I would probably just go with a pair of black slacks and a nice top for that evening. I would recommend a couple of pairs of either shorts or capri's, shirts, and then mix and match the whole cruise. And oh yeah, I lived in flip flops the whole time :) HTH, have a great cruise
Me too! Dinner was capri's or a sundress with light sweater in the event the AC got to me. I think for our last 4 night I had 2 sundresses and 1 pair of capri's that I work with mix/match tops that I also wore with Bermuda shorts. I had 1 pair of sandals that matched everything and flip flops for the pool / CC.

DON'T over pack!! For the 7 night cruises which have a formal and semi-formal night I wear dresses & strappy heels (same pair both nights). DH - suit or (rented) tux. For "cruise casual nights" DH will wear linen or Docker style pants & collared casual shirts (Polos or button up Tommy Bahama style). For cruise casual nights I usually wear either a skirt or capris & sandals & nice tops. The dining rooms are VERY COLD so I also bring a light sweater or wrap of some sort to bring into the dining rooms. For Palo (the adults only restaurant) I would wear a cocktail dress for dinner & DH a sport coat & button down shirt & dressy linen pants...if doing Palo for brunch I would double duty some of my dinner capris with a different top.

This summer for our 7-night Med cruise I am planning to bring 2 dresses (both shorter in length), 1 will be a little black dress for the formal night. I will also bring 3 pair of dressy capris - 1 pair black with 2 tops, one pair white with 2 tops and 1 pair print with 2 tops for dinner & Palo brunch. For daytime I will bring 3 more pair of casual capris & a weeks worth of shorts & tops (we'll actually be in Europe for just over 2 weeks so will need more than just cruise clothes).

I find capris can be found in all materials - from cotton casual to linen to rayon blends...they can also be worn at home and are very easy to multi-purpose so that's what I would recommend.

I really like packing my nice cotton shirts, a t-shirt with an embellishment. You can dress it up for dinner with trousers and then it can be casual the next day with shorts. Formal and semi-formal nights I wear a cocktail dress. Same for DH, he wears a nice polo shirt with slacks to dinner and the next day wears the same shirt with shorts. My girls wear a sundress to dinner and if they didn't spill they will wear it the next day as well.

Two outfits each day just doesn't work well for us, too many bags with not enough places to put them. Things need to serve double duty. SO when your out shopping try to look for things you can dress up at night and be casual with by day.

I agree! that dining room is freezing. I always pack a couple pairs of dark jeans, one pair of black slacks, couple pairs of shorts. My slacks can be worn with a nice top and light sweater for formal nights and palo. the other nights in the dining room, I wear dark jeans and a nice top. My jeans are not torn or anything. I wash clothes halfway throught the cruise.

You will be amazed how often you are chilly on the cruise. I even think the theaters are chilly.

I like sundresses that are made by outdoor / sport companies. Patagonia, Merrell, Columbia, Woolrich, etc. REI carries a good assortment. I like the quick drying, no wrinkling, made for getting sweaty and still looking nice aspect to these types of dresses. Add some flip flops and it's good for day. Switch to strappy sandals and cover with a little cardigan or pashmina and you're ready for dinner.

I like to wear casual dresses onboard the ship - they're cool and comfortable and I can wear my swimsuit underneath them if I want (or need) to.

I also plan for my port excursions - I prefer to wear pants or capris if I need to do any walking (else my thighs chaffe from sweating in the Caribbean heat).

A light sweater or jacket is a must (and if you tend to get cold, maybe something a little heavier - I found the movie theatre on board to be downright chilly).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter