(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS Information Thread ~2012~

Status
Not open for further replies.
WDWKOOK said:
Welcome to the DIS and the WL/VWL thread! pas130 stayed last year and hopefully she will offer her opinion:listen:

:welcome: Kristen to the DIS and the WL/VWL thread!

The maximum capacity of the one bedroom villa is 4 adults and one child under 3 in a crib. Your group will just fit:)

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Congratulations on your change. It sure will be a wonderful surprise! Do you think you can keep it a secret that long?

Oh I hope to WDWKOOK. My BF and I are having a great time learning about WL and all the extras we can do.

We've decided to revisit the Lodge the April. We were there last year and had a woods view room looking towards the Villas. I think I'd like to have a view of the lake this year, but don't want to be on the end of one of the wings. Recommendations?

We just booked our first VWL Christmas trip!! Yay for 11 month booking window!! 12/6 to 12/13!!!

We moved into our two bedroom villa at VWL this morning. This evening we got a notice at our door that the Silver Creek Springs pool slide will be closed starting tomorrow through late January. Guests will be permitted to use the Contemporary pool slide until the slide reopens. But not BLT pool.

Not sure what to do about this. My kids love the water slide. I have been so excited about wilderness lodge. Now I don't knowcwhat to do.

E have to travel there though. Oh well as long as the hot tub is open I am not going to worry about it.

We moved into our two bedroom villa at VWL this morning. This evening we got a notice at our door that the Silver Creek Springs pool slide will be closed starting tomorrow through late January. Guests will be permitted to use the Contemporary pool slide until the slide reopens. But not BLT pool.

I hope it is open by Feb 5th. Traveling to the Contemporary is not practical. :(

I hope it is open by Feb 5th. Traveling to the Contemporary is not practical. :(

Agreed. I'm surprised they didn't offer FW instead of CR, since there are more transportation options to get there. Or offer a choice of either one. The only time I've been affected by pool closures was when I stayed at the Epcot resorts, and they provided golf carts to transport you to the open feature pool. I wouldn't want to be getting on the boat in street clothes and sitting where people in wet chlorinated swimsuits have been sitting.

WDWKOOK I sent an e-mail to IPO about wanting a honeymoon room in the North Wing with Magic Kingdom View. However, I did not get back an automatic response. Should I resend the e-mail? What is their e-mail address?
If you didn't get any response within 24 hours, check the address and re-send to:

Wilderness.Lodge.Itinerary.Planning@disneyworld.com

Hello.

We are getting ready to book our Sept trip at WL again. I remember after my last trip in 2011, I heard all the rooms were being renovated. Did that ever happen, and is there a link to the new pictures anywhere?
Welcome! There are links to all the rehabbed room photos and an update on the first page of this thread, post #1 HERE. All of the rooms were completed in September 2012.

DH still misses "our room" Me too!!!

I stayed in a honeymoon room in August..it was incredible! So much so we cancelled our gf king room!! The cl cms are fantastic! It very relaxed and its secluded sharing the hall with one other suite. One warning..getting in and out of the tub was a pain...I'm vertically challenged and you have to step over the side. I loved the lodge and the 7th floor. Congrats!!
:goodvibes
Only 9 more days until we leave
I wish we were there now!
You're getting closer!

We've decided to revisit the Lodge the April. We were there last year and had a woods view room looking towards the Villas. I think I'd like to have a view of the lake this year, but don't want to be on the end of one of the wings. Recommendations?
Welcome! If you aren't staying in a Deluxe CL room, it's unlikely you'd be on the ends of the wing. If you book a Courtyard View room, request an INNER or WL view and you'll be able to see the WL courtyard, geyser, Bay Lake and EWP.

We just booked our first VWL Christmas trip!! Yay for 11 month booking window!! 12/6 to 12/13!!!
Yeah, Kathy!

Thank you for posting this notice! I'll have to re-post to the first page.

You're right, I don't think "pool hopping" would be fun. I like having our room right nearby.

Agreed. I'm surprised they didn't offer FW instead of CR, since there are more transportation options to get there. Or offer a choice of either one. The only time I've been affected by pool closures was when I stayed at the Epcot resorts, and they provided golf carts to transport you to the open feature pool. I wouldn't want to be getting on the boat in street clothes and sitting where people in wet chlorinated swimsuits have been sitting.
I agree and good morning!

...Thank you for posting this notice! I'll have to re-post to the first page. I wonder why DVC members can't use the BLT pool when they can when staying at CR:confused3...

DVC members cannot use BLT anytime unless they are staying at BLT. Even guests of CR cannot use BLT pool. You have to have a room key from BLT to open the gate.

Lodge ladies! Hope you don't mind a much overdue trip report from our trip to the Lodge back in December. (Things got pretty crazy after our return home.) If you'll remember, DH and I and our two sons (aged 5 and 7) were staying at the Lodge for a week back in early December. We'd never visited the Lodge before, and had stayed at the Poly on our previous trip in December 2011.

Let me say: our trip was FANTASTIC. We got a "bear-face" room, which I loved. Great view of the lagoon and the ground from the balcony, and a wonderful view of the lobby and the tree when we exited the room. Convenient to the elevators, too. I didn't realize how big the place was until I decided to use the back elevators when I was doing laundry and had to walk through endless hallways! WE did not have a great view of the water pageant. Thought we would, but a tree blocked much of it. Still, we sat out and watched it once and my kids enjoyed themselves, and I really liked that when it was over, they could just hop straight into bed from the balcony.

The CMs were by and large very nice. We had a cast member who was part of the international college program when we got off the bus, and she was very attentive and kept on talking to us while we waited for a spot at the front desk check-in to open up. After about five minutes, she said she didn't want to keep us waiting, and checked us in herself. She remembered us when we ran into her several days later, too. Alas, no Flag Family spots were available -- guess we'll have to go back.

We enjoyed using the pools and the hot tubs and playing on the beaches. My sons got a huge kick out of swimming with the ducks. We spent a few hours every afternoon doing this, and we had a lot of nice conversations with other families. The geyser was also a big hit -- we must have seen it erupt about 10 times over the course of the week.

Good reviews for Roaring Forks from us, too. We ate several lunch/dinner meals there and had a hot breakfast there three or four times, too. Liked the Mickey Waffles with strawberries especially.

We had no problems with Mousekeeping. We tipped every day but did not get any towel animals, or even a Mickey towel on the bed upon arrival. However, one day, our "Elf on a Shelf" was moved onto the bed with a pile of shredded paper next to time. He was holding a handwritten note that said, "[The names of my kids] did this!" My kids LOVED it and it really intensified the magic for them. I still can't believe that someone took the time to look up their names and do that for them. It was awesome. (The bunk beds were great, btw, and we thought the bed was very comfortable.)

The only complaint we had about the Lodge, really, was that the bus service seemed a bit slow, especially to and from Epcot. We had to wait a long time both going to and from Epcot. Once, we even gave up and took a cab. We had no problems going to the other parks and thought the boat service was great. Maybe our timing was just bad.

We were personally underwhemed by the new TT (Kook, I know you asked about that). My kids liked it a lot. However, we felt the machines to design the cars were very buggy. At last half of the terminals weren't working. We didn't see how they were incorporated into the ride itself, and even though I know the track didn't change, the ride "inside" seemed a lot less fun to us. I would have liked it to remain the old way, dated and all. Sorry to be a downer, but that was a disappointment to us. We enjoyed the parts of FLE that we saw. Lines were very long for BoG and Enchanted Tales (and were literally walk-ons in the rest of the park), so we could not justify waiting 90 minutes to experience either of those. Had a great time everywhere else.

I'll post pictures in the next post. Any other questions I can answer? Thanks for all the advice I received from posters here. Can't wait to go back! We'd stay again in a heartbeat.

IMG_20121214_163728_zpsd3a75692.jpg

IMG_20121214_163706_zpsfac1c5ee.jpg

IMG_20121214_163742_zpsc8022208.jpg

When we checked in yesterday morning, the decorations were gone.

Did they state a date or just say end of January? We will be arriving Jan. 26th. Also - is it warm enough to swim? If you go swimming are you freezing? Unfortunately I'll have to get in the pool with my kids if they go swimming. Kids don't seem to notice cold temperatures....but I certainly do! I know the water is heated though. I guess I need to remind myself that temperatures in Florida are much warmer than where we are!

DVC members cannot use BLT anytime unless they are staying at BLT. Even guests of CR cannot use BLT pool. You have to have a room key from BLT to open the gate.
:blush:
Can I blame my mis-statement on being in an early morning fog? Thank you for catching my error. I was mixed-up with the fact that when staying at BLT, guests may use the CR pool, but not the reverse.

Lodge ladies! Hope you don't mind a much overdue trip report from our trip to the Lodge back in December. (Things got pretty crazy after our return home.) If you'll remember, DH and I and our two sons (aged 5 and 7) were staying at the Lodge for a week back in early December. We'd never visited the Lodge before, and had stayed at the Poly on our previous trip in December 2011.

Let me say: our trip was FANTASTIC. We got a "bear-face" room, which I loved. Great view of the lagoon and the ground from the balcony, and a wonderful view of the lobby and the tree when we exited the room. Convenient to the elevators, too. I didn't realize how big the place was until I decided to use the back elevators when I was doing laundry and had to walk through endless hallways! WE did not have a great view of the water pageant. Thought we would, but a tree blocked much of it. Still, we sat out and watched it once and my kids enjoyed themselves, and I really liked that when it was over, they could just hop straight into bed from the balcony.

The CMs were by and large very nice. We had a cast member who was part of the international college program when we got off the bus, and she was very attentive and kept on talking to us while we waited for a spot at the front desk check-in to open up. After about five minutes, she said she didn't want to keep us waiting, and checked us in herself. She remembered us when we ran into her several days later, too. Alas, no Flag Family spots were available -- guess we'll have to go back.

We enjoyed using the pools and the hot tubs and playing on the beaches. My sons got a huge kick out of swimming with the ducks. We spent a few hours every afternoon doing this, and we had a lot of nice conversations with other families. The geyser was also a big hit -- we must have seen it erupt about 10 times over the course of the week.

Good reviews for Roaring Forks from us, too. We ate several lunch/dinner meals there and had a hot breakfast there three or four times, too. Liked the Mickey Waffles with strawberries especially.

We had no problems with Mousekeeping. We tipped every day but did not get any towel animals, or even a Mickey towel on the bed upon arrival. However, one day, our "Elf on a Shelf" was moved onto the bed with a pile of shredded paper next to time. He was holding a handwritten note that said, "[The names of my kids] did this!" My kids LOVED it and it really intensified the magic for them. I still can't believe that someone took the time to look up their names and do that for them. It was awesome. (The bunk beds were great, btw, and we thought the bed was very comfortable.)

The only complaint we had about the Lodge, really, was that the bus service seemed a bit slow, especially to and from Epcot. We had to wait a long time both going to and from Epcot. Once, we even gave up and took a cab. We had no problems going to the other parks and thought the boat service was great. Maybe our timing was just bad.

We were personally underwhemed by the new TT (Kook, I know you asked about that). My kids liked it a lot. However, we felt the machines to design the cars were very buggy. At last half of the terminals weren't working. We didn't see how they were incorporated into the ride itself, and even though I know the track didn't change, the ride "inside" seemed a lot less fun to us. I would have liked it to remain the old way, dated and all. Sorry to be a downer, but that was a disappointment to us. We enjoyed the parts of FLE that we saw. Lines were very long for BoG and Enchanted Tales (and were literally walk-ons in the rest of the park), so we could not justify waiting 90 minutes to experience either of those. Had a great time everywhere else.

I'll post pictures in the next post. Any other questions I can answer? Thanks for all the advice I received from posters here. Can't wait to go back! We'd stay again in a heartbeat.

Great to have you back posting your TR! Boy, those new chairs are TALL. I'll bet that FLE will have 'calmed down' a bit the next time you visit;). You'll have to make a dinner ADR at BOG as soon as you book your next trip:thumbsup2. Your TT review sounds like some others I read - underwhelming, but at least now that it's back open it will help draw some guests away from Soarin' which seemed to have even longer wait times than usual in August.

Let us know when you're all booked:)

When we checked in yesterday morning, the decorations were gone.
Well, they'll be back in November for everyone to enjoy. Thanks for the update and I hope you're enjoying your VWL stay. Sit a spell for me in the cozy lobby inglenook:cloud9:

Great TR, CaliKT! Glad you had such a great time.

I just made a deposit for a Thanksgiving trip for this year. We'll be staying five days in a deluxe room. I'm not even going to worry about it being eleven months away. Time seems to fly for me anymore.

We are almost exactly 6 months away from our 25th Anniversary celebration at our beloved WL Old Faithful Club!:cool1:

Will IPO email us automatically or do we need to email them? If we email them, what do we say.... Hi, get ready here we come??? :goodvibes

I seem to remember last time they never emailed us so we did a few weeks before we arrived.

Thanks!!!!:cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter