(CLOSED) Disney's BOARDWALK INN and VILLAS Information Thread ~2012~

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by WDWKOOK, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackemail

jackemail Disney Veteran

psac, I am LOVING your photos and reports. Thanks so much for posting them!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. garada3

garada3 DIS Veteran

I stand corrected, the room had two beds, which Disney says are queen beds.

IPO is the itinerary planning office which is a pre-trip planning service for concierge guests.

4. Cee

Cee DIS Veteran

Love the panoramic view. I just booked my solo trip for May in a 1BR at BWV and cannot wait. Fully expecting to enjoy a Spa Day and some good walks and good food while I'm there. :goodvibes

5. philatiger

philatiger Just Goofin Around......

We are staying at BWV this coming December and have a 1 BR garden/pool view. Are there any rooms or areas that are better than others? We would like to make a room request closer to the main building if possible. thanks for any help.

6. psac

psac DIS Veteran

It's all one BIG building. Your best bet would be to request close to the elevators, since the elevators are only in the center lobby area.

7. psac

psac DIS Veteran

Thanks! I'm sure you'll enjoy!

8. WDWKOOK

WDWKOOK NOW WITH LESS TAG!

Yeah, Starbucks and Main Street USA just don't go together IMHO. Nothing against SB, just not on Main Street:sad2:

Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question, but you could always request an unrestricted view balcony so that the room assignor will know exactly what you'd prefer then ask again at check-in, just to make sure.

Online check-in limits your request. I've only done OCI for the Innkeeper's Club (just to see what it was like) so I don't know what the default request options are for a STD View room. Make sure you call the WDTC/CRO if you have any specific requests, since there won't be many if any options with OCI. That way, they'll all be in your reservation.

Congratulations:yay:

It's a very common WDW affliction::yes::

You're going to have a great time!

Thanks for making us feel like we're right there with you:goodvibes. Just curious, did you ever call the manager back regarding the unwanted wake-up call?

:yay:

That should be nice and roomy. Time to start making those ADRs!

9. psac

psac DIS Veteran

One more panoramic:
    [​IMG]

One of the (many) reasons we like staying at the Boardwalk during the November trips is the easy access to Hollywood Studios for a late night extra magic hours for dinner at Brown Derby, the Osborne Lights, and assorted rides. We did that last night, taking the boat ride over, with Brown Derby being a disaster this time. We've loved it in the past, and defended it against the bad reviews. The salads we ordered came out before one of our drinks and the bread came to the table, and then my wife's medium well pork chop first came out medium rare (at most), then when sent back, came out medium (at most, literally bloody inside towards the edge, can't imagine the inner pieces). At that point I had long finished my dinner, so we just paid (they didn't charge for my wife's salad or drink) and left and my wife had a Mickey pretzel instead for dinner. That bad experience was made up for by the Osborne Family lights, no disappointment at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stayed for well over an hour, moving from area to area, enjoying the different songs. In one area we were in full blast of the snow. While fun, the snow in Florida tastes oddly like soap. ;).

We did a few rides and took the quick boat back to the Boardwalk a little after 10PM. My wife was hungry from just having the salad and pretzel for dinner, so we were happy the pizza window was still open for a pepperoni slice. It looked pretty sad, and my wife said it tasted like supermarket frozen pizza, but she was happy to have it, and she said it hit the spot. It probably would be better during a more peak meal time with quicker turnover. We stopped at the Bakery for muffins to have this morning for breakfast. Those were good, I really liked my choc chip, wife's blueberry "could have used more blueberries, but otherwise was good."

10. psac

psac DIS Veteran

KOOK, we never did contact the manager. I left out an important part of the story -- later in the morning, my wife smelled cigarette smoke in the kitchen area. Our theory is one of our neighbors (maybe below) disabled their alarms, were smoking in the room, and we paid for it with the wake up call. So if that was the case, it really wasn't the hotel's fault. Not intending to start a smoking discussion, my wife's dad is a lifelong smoker, so we're usually in favor of having smoking areas and the like. But we're also in favor of following the rules and not getting woken up at 4:30am. :)

We rearranged our rest day schedule a bit to buy tix for a Matchbox Twenty presale this morning from the room. In general the wifi has been abysmal. I've just kept it off on my iPhone5, the AT&T LTE is much much quicker, but the wifi worked fine for the iPad to get the tix. Afterwards, we took the bus to Downtown Disney, luckily catching it right at the stop, and being the last pickup, it was a quick trip there (15 min max), though we had to stand. Shopping (you never do intend to buy a sweatshirt each, do you?), earl of sandwich, and ghirardelli sundae ensued. The bus trip back was longer, but we got off at the Swan to not make the full tour of the Dolphin, Yacht Club, and Beach Club before the BW.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. psac

psac DIS Veteran

Overheard earlier in the trip out on the Boardwalk, someone pointing at the Dolphin -- "Is that the Polynesian?"

[​IMG]

We have spent at least an hour a day sitting either on our balcony or on the benches out on the Boardwalk, just enjoying the view, people watching, reading, playing iPhone games, etc. It definitely feels like vacation.
    [​IMG]

Tonight is Yachsman's Steakhouse, maybe our favorite meal on our last trip.

12. Momof2Disneyboys

Momof2Disneyboys DIS Veteran

Really enjoying the live updates psac!! :goodvibes

13. jackemail

jackemail Disney Veteran

psac, I am absolutely loving your photos and live updates....makes my day!

14. pixarmom

pixarmom DIS Veteran

psac, just LOVE the photos, the updates, everything!

We're with you regarding both Bluezoo (love it and will return in January) and Brown Derby (a former favorite, but just not as high up on the list anymore for the reasons you mentioned.) That Poly comment is hilarious. And I really appreciate the BWI pool photos. The BWI pool was packed during our August stay last year, and it's great to see it so much less crowded and looking so peaceful. Hoping for a little warmth in January so we can use the pool (although our boys aren't picky - they swam on the Wonder in Alaska in front of a glacier, so I'm sure they'll swim at BWI!)

15. sjs314

sjs314 "Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and

Psac Beautiful pics :thumbsup2 Thanks for shareing

16. WDWKOOK

Love the Poly comment. I wonder what she thought when she actually saw the Poly?

How was YS? I've been reading mixed reviews lately and would like to know what you thought. Thanks for all the great photos and updates!

17. psac

psac DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the kind words!! Glad you enjoyed the updates. Something came up at home, and unfortunately we had to actually check out a couple of days early. Sitting in MCO now. Found out an oddity about DVC stays -- there actually is no early check out. They said that I still would have the room until it was scheduled, but to try calling Member Services to see if they could do anything. Very friendly and concerned at the desk. Wasn't expecting to get any points back, just figured if someone else could get the room earlier, all the better. We hit all the parks at least once, and did our favorite restaurants, so we were okay with leaving early. We'll be back for a stay at somewhere new in April (AKL), and back for another DVC stay at the BW next November.

We put off trying Yachtsman's for a long time because of all the mixed reviews. We finally tried it for the first time in June and loved it. It became a must do on this trip. Last time one of the appetizers was the best thing we had on the whole trip, so of course it was off the menu this time. Our appetizers this time were both okay, nothing special. We were a little concerned that last time was an anomaly. Not the case. The steaks we had (filet and porterhouse) were both very good, though I still thought the strip steak I had at Flying Fish earlier in the trip was better. However, the side dishes (truffle Mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, and creamed spinach) were all laced with extra crack. They should give the side dish guy a promotion. We shared the creme brule for dessert, and it was good and extra crunchy. Overall happy with the meal, and will definitely go back again next year when we're in the area again.

The pool never looked over packed. With Bluezoo, the scallop and pork belly appetizer was the best app I had on this trip, and the cocktails were made REALLY strong. Two drinks and I was very happy I didn't have to drive. :)

Walking back from the Yacht Club, we caught the end of Illuminations.

[​IMG]

Ships passing:

[​IMG]

Friendships for my Disboards friends:
    [​IMG]

18. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

Thanks for all your photos and reviews Psac! I was wondering if you've ever eaten at Shula's. We keep going back and forth on Yachtsman Steakhouse or Shula's for our January trip. Just looking for some real-life experience.

19. goofieslonglostsis

goofieslonglostsis DIS Veteran

Psac, sorry to hear about the situation at home. Hopefully you get home safe, sound and quickly. Take care.

I think you might have gotten some wrong info about no early check out. I know it can be done, since I did it just a month ago at SSR. My mom had to fly in asap because of some medical problems, resulting in me moving from a studio to onebedroom. Because I had rented points, we had to get the owner involved and all went through member service. Lucked out and was able to not just have them redestribute the points and me paying the rest, but was able to rent the extra points from owner. Important thing though; the day of movement, I had to get out of the room by no later than 11.00am, since they had already assigned the studio to a next guest. A studio that until the day of making the chance in ressie (day before moving to onebedroom) was booked for me for almost another 2 weeks. I know because we had multiple managers involved trying to make it a swift transfer as I was pretty much 24/7 bedridden and that being a bit of a challenge with 11am check out and 4pm check in. That worked out by the way, but the studio that I left over by having the ressie changed was booked up within 2 hours I learned. So it can happen, allthough have no clue what is possible or not they even just think you'ld want to be reimbursed for the points for night(s) not used.

Same thing at BWV actually. Was in hospital during that part of same trip and while there (also DVC-stay through rented points) my options were discussed with managers on duty with them actively bringing it up. Vacating was one of the options.

So without knowing it, you might have still made an impact on another guests trip. :)

And oh well, as long as I'm on this thread anyway; who wants to join me in a carefull :dance3::yay::cheer2: . Am booked for a 3 week split BWI/BWV stay for september/october. Can't wait!

20. psac

psac DIS Veteran

Nope, haven't tried Shula's yet. Generally it gets good reviews, but so does Il Mulino, and we didn't really like it. (Just lumping the unrelated Swan restaurants together for no good reason. :) )

21. WDWKOOK

Some new resort branded pins:

[​IMG]
    Disney Parks Blog

Hope everything is OK at home, psac and thanks for the YS review and photos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.