City, Sand, and Savanna - Link to new trip report

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by glennbo123, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Sooze

Sooze DIS Veteran

What a FUN excursion!! Thanks for posting the picture of the days' events, Glenn. We have thought about Vero, but weren't sure if we'd like it. (We are NOT a hang-out-at-the-beach-all-day-and-do-nothing kind of family.) I am super impressed with all of the activities they offer. Now you got me thinking about a nice vacation to Vero!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. glennbo123

glennbo123 DIS Veteran

It was a fun morning Kelly. Actually, the cast member (dang, I just realized I missed another joke I could have put into the chapter -- something like she puts the cast in cast member. Hmm, maybe it was better without it!) was worried about the same thing. She warned the boys to keep their lines away from it because she really didnt want to have to try to get a hook out of its mouth.

Cool. If I can time the updates for when youre woozy, thisll be a great TR. ;)

Yes, its always more fun when you have some success. Some people like to go fishing just to get outside, but I know it would have been disappointing without a catch or two.

Maryann was sure kept busy.

Sounds like a good idea!

Coulda been, but he answered pretty confidently.

You aint kidding. Especially for a kid.

I hear that all the time. :rotfl:

It is pretty cool. And its great that you can get over to that area without having to worry about traffic.

Im sure wed have never found it if we didnt have the fishing class. It was a fun morning. Im glad the weather improved!

We had a good time. Catching fish helps!

Hes a hillbilly hand-fisher! Great story!

Im glad you liked it Magdalene. :)

Oh yeah, it was great that they had such personal attention. :teacher:

A good morning, for sure. Learned a thing or two, had fun, caught fish, and got to keep the pole. Cant beat that.

:rotfl: You are too funny! There were a couple of Judys though, so you must have adjusted them too much.

4. glennbo123

glennbo123 DIS Veteran

It’s amazing how much luck you can have, fishing in a stocked pond! :laughing: It made for a fun time though. The CM was great with them.

I know. I can’t wait to see the things that you did. I think I saw a picture of the boys on some bicycles…

Yeah, I was surprised by that. I knew there were tennis courts and such, but didn’t know about the soccer field or picnic pavilion.

They went thataway. <points both directions>

The closest one.

That must be it.

To a soccer player, I’m sure it was nice, but not anything special.

Exactly!

:rotfl2: Nice one!

He’s going to have to work on that.

His good looks?

:eek:

I’m not tellin’.

There were some characters painted on the walls inside the tunnel. I think there was Peter Pan, Smee, etc. But this lame TR report didn’t take any pictures of them. Whoops.

Yeah. Would you like a little lemon on your bluegill?

It’s probably illegal to use bacon in fishing competitions. Just too easy. :laughing:

I know, right?

I never heard this one say “dude”. What’s up with that?

I’ve also caught walleye and northern pike, but at muuuch higher latitudes.

Yay, I’m glad you liked ‘em!

I couldn’t resist.

I stopped taking pictures after a while. There’s only so much memory on the card! :laughing:

You’re welcome Sooze. I think even the “non-beach” people could find some things to do there for a couple of days. A week would probably be too much, but a for a couple of days it could be a nice place to relax.

5. englishrose47

englishrose47 DIS Veteran

Dang it not an update Glen you have to get my schedule down to co incide with my rare Dis time !!:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

6. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

:woohoo::cool1: for engineering!

Are they largemouth bass?:confused3

Everybody's relaxing their standards these days.

Did you have to fight the fish for it? :confused3

Nice work James! He's a natural!

Admit it: you were, too.

Good job!:thumbsup2

7. jecskc

jecskc DIS Veteran

Bwhahahahahaha. I never thought about it that way, but I guess. We are from SC, so not exactly a hillbilly, but in that moment, perhaps he was channeling his hillbilly heritage since his father was born in West Virginia.

8. Poolrat

Poolrat I am alive, sometimes I wonder too.

Finally all caught up only to get behind again. :lmao:

Great updates. The only problem now is that I really want to see all the resorts. NOW. :rotfl:

Great details and thank you for locating the coffee. I am becoming quite addicted to having my morning coffee and after coming back from the west coast even more so. :upsidedow

9. marvali

marvali DIS Veteran

Yes, James MUST have gotten his good looks from you................... :rolleyes2

because Judy still has HERS!!! ::yes:: :rotfl2:

10. FauntleroyFAN07

FauntleroyFAN07 Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

:rotfl:well played

11. GreatBiscuit

GreatBiscuit Golden but never flaky

Cool morning GB!

Love all the photos from the resort.

And I had to crack up at the Seinfeld shout out.

The fishing excursion looked like a ton of fun. Glad James had a great time.

12. PlutosRHM55

PlutosRHM55 Pluto's Un-Mentioned Manager

Yeah, all caught up! I can't believe I was gone long enough for the NYC TR to end, but anyways, looks both trips so far were a lot of fun. I would totally add in how many Judys were there for the last chapter, but there was none so... no fun in that lol Well, can't wait to read more! :mickeyjum

13. glennbo123

glennbo123 DIS Veteran

:upsidedow

It was right up there with the Panama Canal and Hoover Dam.

Ba dum bum.

I've upped my standards, so... I'd better not finish that old joke. ;) :laughing:

If it had been cooked, the fish wouldn't a stood a chance.

He did all right.

Well, maybe.

Ah thanks.

I'm pretty sure that catching a fish bare-handed is one of those things that gets you right into the club! If you want to. :rotfl:

:cool1:

:sad:

Well since you're becoming a DVC baron, I don't see why not. ;)

:thumbsup2 Good. If and when you get there, you'll know right where to go. I obviously did not....on my first attempt anyway.

Something tells me you set me up for that one. :headache:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That reminds me -- today was John Lennon's birthday! :cake:

Good evening GB!

Great! That makes it worth my while.

That was a classic episode.

It was. It was a nice way to spend the morning. :goodvibes

14. glennbo123

glennbo123 DIS Veteran

You're a ninja-poster Timmy! Trying to sneak one in while I was replying.

I'm glad you are caught up though.

No, there were actually 2 Judy's in the last chapter. ::yes:: Someone found them. I won't spoil it for you....go back and see if you can find them. :)

15. englishrose47

Just looking for another update !! Leaving on Thursday morning !!! So can you hold the updates till I get back !!!!

16. Disneybuckeye

Disneybuckeye DIS Veteran

Another great update Glenn. The fising excursion looks like a nice activity. Great pictures and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the shark tooth necklace activity.

I just realized I will be in the world during the Ohio State - Penn State game. I'll think of you when I am watching it at the ESPN Cafe at the Boardwalk.

17. englishrose47

Bye !!!!I am off like a herd of Turtles in the morning!!

18. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

Great update, Glenn. The fishing excursion looks perfect for a boy and he was really doing a great job catching those fish. And what a beautiful area too.

19. vamassey1

vamassey1 DIS Veteran

Wow the resort pictures are just beautiful. What a great resort. Fishing sounded fun and productive. I think Danielle would have loved it too.

20. glennbo123

glennbo123 DIS Veteran

Well, I didn't make your timeframe unfortunately. And I have another update ready to go....sorry 'bout that.

We had a nice time. For someone not very familiar with fishing, it was worth it.

Hang tight then.

Ooo, I wish I could watch it from there. I think it'll be a good game this year!

Sorry I missed the sendoff. Have a great time!!!

Thank you! He had a great time. Definitely made some memories, at least.

I'm glad you liked the picture Vanessa. If you ever get there, I recommend the little fishing trip to the pond. :)

21. glennbo123

glennbo123 DIS Veteran

After the Fishing FUNdamentals excursion, I decided to stop into the gift shop in the Inn, the Island Grove Packing Company, to take some pictures for you DISers who like to have this kind of info.

Here are some hats.

[​IMG]

And some jackets.

[​IMG]

The lineup of snacks.

[​IMG]

Some refrigerated items.

[​IMG]

And even more refrigerated items.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I didn't get a broader picture of the store in general because at this point I was taking a lot of flak from James. He was embarrassed that his dad was taking pictures of store refrigerators, apparently. But other than what you can see here, they have a small selection of Disney character t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, bags, and of course other items like trading pin starter kits and magnets and such. It's a pretty small store, but they keep it about as full as their space will allow.

Back out on the sidewalk, we ran into the girls on their way to the refill station to get some drinks before lunch. I accompanied them to the refill station and got another picture, since it was closed up when I took the pictures on my early-morning stroll.

[​IMG]

From there, we went back to our suite to have lunch. Sorry, again no pictures! But it wasn't too exciting -- just sandwiches of lunch meat, cheese, and lettuce. Lauren was mad because we hadn't thought to buy any mustard or mayo. We did have some Ranch dressing though, and we told her to try that. She said, "Hey, this is pretty good!" And I said, "We're expanding your horizons one sandwich at a time", to which I got a :rolleyes:.

After lunch, we all went over to the Community Hall for the Sharktooth Necklace activity. While we were waiting for it to start, I got a text from one of my sisters who told me that Mom (ie. Gram) had bought a new bathing suit for the trip, and now they were tagging their luggage and trying to find some shorts in the attic. One text said Dad will have white legs. (Sometimes his grandkids call him "Whitey" for that reason...he almost never wears shorts. I wouldn't be surprised if one day I saw "Poppy's Legs" as the name of an off-white paint chip sample at Home Depot.)

I walked into the hallway next to the Community Hall and saw this picture:

[​IMG]

I texted it to my sister and said, "Just found Grams suit ;-)".

Forget the suit. Look at those shoes...they look like what a boxer would wear! I could see Charlie Chaplin showing off a little fancy footwork in those.

[​IMG]

Anyway, our instructor for the activity came in and it was none other than Maryann. She said "Hi James!". It's always nice to know the teacher.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other kids were arriving, and one parent brought a girl who hadn't registered ahead of time, to see if they could squeeze her in. Maryann said that they were full by the number who registered, but they could hang around to see if anyone didn't show up. Eventually everyone showed up and they had to turn her away. I felt a little bad since my kids were older and didn't really need to do this activity, but hey, we signed up and they offer it pretty much every day, so she could catch it another time.

Once everyone was seated at the tables, they had the kids take turns going past the table in the front to pick out their yarn, beads, and shark tooth. Then Maryann showed them how to string some beads, tape their yarn to the table, and make some basic knots and braids.

[​IMG]

Lauren was thrilled when she got back to the table and discovered that she had chosen a similar color palette as both her brother and sister. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back a couple of years ago, Lauren had a hobby of making hemp wrist-bands and anklets and things. (In fact, in my 2010 trip report you can see that I'm wearing one at the beginning of the trip, but lost it by the end. :sad:) Consequently, she knew lots of neat ways to braid and twist their yarn and helped James and Marlene with theirs. A little girl across from her also needed a little help.

[​IMG]

James definitely needed some help for his ambitious attempts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Judy took a cellphone picture of me with the kids to prove that I was there.

[​IMG]

Most of the younger kids I think, just tied some knots, threw on some beads, tied more knots and called it "done", which is fine of course. My kids worked hard...braiding, knotting, twisting, starting over...braiding, knotting, twisting. And they were the last to leave, but they made some nice necklaces, in my biased opinion.

[​IMG]

At $10 each, it was probably a little pricey for some yarn, beads, and a necklace-ready shark tooth. But hey, you're on vacation, and you get an activity and a souvenir all at the same time. And maybe when you look at it like that, it's not too bad.

Up next: Turtle Walk…and walk and walk
    Link to next chapter