CitiBank Visa question...who has one?

Soupermom

DIS Veteran
I just applied for the citibank Visa offering 5% back on supermarkets, drugstores and gas. BIG question...is Wal-Mart considered a supermarket or drugstore?!?! We have a Super W-M and I buy lots of stuff there, as well as gas. If I get 5% back I'll be way ahead compared to my Disney Visa. :cool1:

that is a good question! I have the citi-bank mastercard with that deal. I never noticed what that gets me back... they don't really break up what is what...I just get my total $ value amount printed on the bottom of my statement.. I got a check for $250 in Jan & now I am up to $190 again... I am going to wait for it to get to $250 again before asking them to send me a check... I love it..it is way better than the Disney Visa card....

Grocery is defined as "predominantly" a grocery store. So if you check out on the grocery side of Super Wal-Mart, you should get the 5%. But you won't get that at just any Wal-Mart.

The one downside of this card is that you are limited to $300 per year in rewards. So I applied for a card with DH as a second cardholder, and when we hit our limit, we'll switch to his card (with me as secondary) and so on.

I had a similar question bc. I buy my gas at Sam's Club. I called and asked if it was coming up as a gas puchase. The cust serv rep said, "That's a good question, let me check." It was coming up as gas.

Colinsmom said:
The one downside of this card is that you are limited to $300 per year in rewards. So I applied for a card with DH as a second cardholder, and when we hit our limit, we'll switch to his card (with me as secondary) and so on.

I had the same idea! Have you tried this before? Did it work? It seems like an obvious way to get around the limit. I wonder if they will catch on?

We live in Michigan and when I called and asked, they said Wal-Mart was not considered a supermarket but Meijers was. But I know I've read posts where people were getting 5% on Wal-mart purchases. My DH and I both applied for our own cards too, each of us has the other as secondary card holder and haven't had a problem with it. ~:)~

I just got this offer with my satellite bill. I'm hanging onto it because I just applied for a Chase card thru an ad on my email page that was offering 6% gas and 1% on everything else as a rebate (not cash back, so I'm assuming it's automatically taken off each month's bill).

Calie

but decided against it when I found out you earn your rewards on a "Tier Level" basis. You had to have already charged $6,000 and keep a running balance from month to month to get the full 5% back at supermarkets etc. ~:)~

I just got one myself. Before I applied, I asked if SuperWalMart was considered "grocery" He said that Super Walmart and Super Target were considered grocery but not the regular Walmart or Target stores. Since I do almost all my shopping grocery or otherwise at SuperWalmart, this card works for us. ::MinnieMo

Hmmmm...I missed the part about having to charge $6000...so I would have to charge $6000 each month and then carry some over before getting the 5%? That seems crazy! I never carry anything over, and never charge $6000 in a month. If this is the case I'll have to be canceling the card as soon as I get it!

I'm sorry, I've mislead you, the $6,000 would be "annually" not monthly. And this was for the Chase card that cali_j was talking about, not the Citi Card. For the Chase card you get.50% back up until you spend $2,000 (annually), 1% back when you've spent between $2,000 and $6,000, 3% back for over $6,000 and a full 5% back if you've spent over $6,000 and carry a balance from month to month. ~:)~

Thanks Suzyque, I was looking at alot of reward cards lately and noticed most are tiered. I went and looked at the Chase I applied for again, it's the perfect card (name of it, not sure if it's perfect yet or not or if I've been approved). What it says online is 6% for first 90 days on gas, 3% after that. 1% on all other purchases. It doesn't say it's tiered or that there's any limits. Rebates are credited to future purchases so you'll lose them if you don't use the card before they expire in 6 months. There is a $19 annual fee but it's waved if you use the card 9 times that year. I'll be sure to read over all the info when I get it and find out for sure how it works. If there's no catches I'll only use this card for gas and my other reward cards for other purchases (disney and choice hotels).

Calie

Ok, sounds like you're getting a different card then the one I looked into, I think it was called the Ultimate Cash Award Card. So many of them out there now, it gets confusing. Good Luck! ~:)~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!