Cinderella's New Look

A little tweak here and there is one thing. Adding several little tweaks all at once is what makes the difference. Belle was actually the one who jumped out at me most since she's been my favorite. Why did they need to lengthen her hair to 'adjust' her? She looks like a knock off.

While understanding things need to update now and then, I definitely stand in the 'dislike' corner. Shame. I was hoping to get a good Belle or Cinderella tshirt for myself on the next trip.

There is a certain elegance brought upon by the traditional princess design.
It's classic and common for there "era" so to speak to look as they did, note the similarities in snow aurora and cindy vs Ariel jasmine and belle... Then move further ahead and note the artistic designs of movies more recent.
It's all based on marketing and appeal. I'm quite sure that there will be little change if any at all to the CMs.

This is the appeal of these kids generation, cartoony and animated. It's almost like comparing the effect Pixar had on traditional cartoon art.

Big bright eyes, bright colors, facial dimension and expression (I.e. snow white) in an attempt to bring the animated aspect of the princesses to appeal to the artistic demand of today's youth spoiled by technology and trends. I can confidently say I believe you will have your classic images still, and that these renderings are the target for the little ones. Unfortunate that there may not be as much of the traditional design for the kids who love and appreciate the classic

From a guy with a little daughter here, I am not a fan. i do not like the overly sexualized new look of the princesses to begin with, but it strays much too far from the originals.

I will say, I have been a BIG fan of how the TV show "Once Upon a Time" has portrayed the princesses so far. Aside from Cinderella (which is understandable), all of the others have been very "normal" looking and relatable so far (Snow White, Belle, Aurora, Mulan).

From a guy with a little daughter here, I am not a fan. i do not like the overly sexualized new look of the princesses to begin with, but it strays much too far from the originals.

I will say, I have been a BIG fan of how the TV show "Once Upon a Time" has portrayed the princesses so far. Aside from Cinderella (which is understandable), all of the others have been very "normal" looking and relatable so far (Snow White, Belle, Aurora, Mulan).

:thumbsup2 Very disappointed by the new Princess images. Cinderella and Belle especially look nothing like they did originally. I understand some changes might be possible but I hardly think Disney will be losing "money" from having the Princesses look as they did in their movies. Now they don't even look like they did in their movies.:confused3

I am so disappointed- I think they are almost unrecognizable if it weren't for the dresses. Cinderella's hair looks like something a teenager might wear to the prom and Belle's looks almost like a big, exaggerated wig.

I liked the old princesses. I liked how old they were and how they represented a different generation. :(

This could be why none of my friends little girls want me to bring them back ANY princess stuff from my next Disney trip. Kind of made me sad...they range in age from 3 - 10 and have NO interest anymore in princesses.

I like a lot of the designs... Though Jasmine's wayward curl bugs me, and I'm not really liking Cindy's choker. But I like them, for the most part. I guess I'm in the minority here. Ah well. I see nothing overtly sexual about it, though.

I can get not changing something from your childhood that you've fond memories of... Perhaps I'm not as bothered because I wasn't into the princesses as a kid. That said, I DO get where people from that angle are coming from; I wasn't pleased when SEGA changed the look of my favorite video game character.

Personally, I think a lot of people are blowing this out of proportion.

I took a look at the pictures on the DisneyStore website, and a majority of the makeovers to the characters was addition of sparkles and patterns to their dresses. As a graphic designer, I see why this was done. It adds more interest and attracts the eye to the character as a whole, ultimately adding to revenue.

As far as the facial and hair makeovers, most of the characters haven't changed. However, the worst change by far was Belle. Adding the amount of hair they did detracts from her dress, which, until Tiana arrived, was the most intricate of the princess dresses (not that I'm saying it's not anymore, its just not the only one). Yes they did alter Cinderella's facial structure and hair a little bit, but overall it did not detract from identifying her as Cinerella, which was very important. Actually I found her features a little sharp in various pieces of art and I think the new look softens some of those features. I'm glad they redid Ariel's bangs a bit, I always found her bangs overlarge on her small face. They look proportionate now.

People on here have talked about the over-addition of make up which I don't seem to see. I see a little blush on their cheeks, but that hasn't changed from their past iterations. The other things people are blasting about are their sexualized positions, hips thrusting out and such and the only Character that seems to have the position is Jasmine, which is a position the she has stood in since the movies came out. I found her body unreallistically disproportionate since Aladdin was released (although that didn't stop me from being her for Halloween when I was 8).

Overall, the important thing is that they have not changed the princesses enough to make them less identifiable. As long as they are still identifiable as a brand, they are still guarenteed to bring in merchandise revenue.

Blast me if you like, but I'm just sharing some opinions and views from my view as a graphic designer (with a little bit of makreting thrown in there).

Her head is twice the size of her waist! She looks like a Photoshop project-gone-wrong!!!

The other things people are blasting about are their sexualized positions, hips thrusting out and such and the only Character that seems to have the position is Jasmine, which is a position the she has stood in since the movies came out. I found her body unreallistically disproportionate since Aladdin was released (although that didn't stop me from being her for Halloween when I was 8).

Thank you! I for one don't find any of the new looks to be sexualized. Though I'm not quite fond of belles new look.

I think Belle and rapunzel are the biggest flops. Belles hair is really the biggest mistake which I would assume in other merchandise may look a little more subtle. And rapunzel was made out to definitely look the youngest, but even more awkward then she appeared in tangled. If you compare the artwork of all of the princesses They bridged the gap (or atleast attempted to) between cartoon and animation to have a uniform merchandise and marketing platform. As I said before and has been said after me, the artists point is to better animate and draw on features of the princesses and this newer art style is common.

Think of the evolution of a tattoo art (very different from the WW days)

Hate me if you want.... I kind of like the changes. I think the people who love to always say that "Walt is rolling over in his grave" need to remember Mickey, Minnie, etc have all had makeovers (not just the terrible Neiman Marcus- or whomever recently did those ones) since his death- multiple times. Does Mickey still look like "Steamboat Willie" or like he did on opening day of Disneyland, or even like he looked in the 1980s? Embrace the new, like it or not, the times they are a change'n.

We saw the changes in real life today in a local shop. I said to my 7 YO brother, 'Look- Disney have changed Cinderella- doesn't she look worse?'

He proceeded to tell me 'No, Meggie, she looks cooler. I wouldn't mind dating her.'

Phhhh!

I must agree that Belle looks as though she endured one too many plastic surgeons. I honestly did not recognize her. What is this new sickly obsession that stick figure skinny is attractive (or healthy) on everyone? Disney needs to take a few giant steps backwards and reassess why people LOVE Disney. I don't bring my family to Disney to follow a trend. It is where we go to enjoy a CHILD like environment of innocence and magic. Next Mother Goose will look like Olive Oil for the sake of political correctness. The beauty of the classics as someone posted earlier is they are timeless. We enjoy escaping from the world on our vacation not finding out Minnie now strangely resembles Cher.

Miss Manday said:
This is unfortunately true... :( I've heard the new design will hit the parks on October 20th or around that date. I've been told that the new dress is gorgeous, but the hair leaves much to be desired. Sigh. Why can't we leave the timeless things alone? Cinderella does not need to look like Barbie.

Noo! I'm going after this. Bleh.

Sparrow624 said:

I agree!

starrynightrose said:
Personally, I think a lot of people are blowing this out of proportion.

I took a look at the pictures on the DisneyStore website, and a majority of the makeovers to the characters was addition of sparkles and patterns to their dresses. As a graphic designer, I see why this was done. It adds more interest and attracts the eye to the character as a whole, ultimately adding to revenue.

As far as the facial and hair makeovers, most of the characters haven't changed. However, the worst change by far was Belle. Adding the amount of hair they did detracts from her dress, which, until Tiana arrived, was the most intricate of the princess dresses (not that I'm saying it's not anymore, its just not the only one). Yes they did alter Cinderella's facial structure and hair a little bit, but overall it did not detract from identifying her as Cinerella, which was very important. Actually I found her features a little sharp in various pieces of art and I think the new look softens some of those features. I'm glad they redid Ariel's bangs a bit, I always found her bangs overlarge on her small face. They look proportionate now.

People on here have talked about the over-addition of make up which I don't seem to see. I see a little blush on their cheeks, but that hasn't changed from their past iterations. The other things people are blasting about are their sexualized positions, hips thrusting out and such and the only Character that seems to have the position is Jasmine, which is a position the she has stood in since the movies came out. I found her body unreallistically disproportionate since Aladdin was released (although that didn't stop me from being her for Halloween when I was 8).

Overall, the important thing is that they have not changed the princesses enough to make them less identifiable. As long as they are still identifiable as a brand, they are still guarenteed to bring in merchandise revenue.

Blast me if you like, but I'm just sharing some opinions and views from my view as a graphic designer (with a little bit of makreting thrown in there).

I don't know. To me, it does seem like face shape/ features have changed . Hair, especially.

A few , like Poca, hardly changed.

I didn't really go the sexualized route, honestly. They don't seem overly sexy, imo.

Calm down people.

Though I'm not a fan of the new facial changes the costume changes are really not that radical. Oh no Cinderella's dress is bluer, people are really canceling there vacations over that? Seriously?

If your young daughters minds immediately jump to sex because of the way a cartoon stands then maybe you need to have a conversation with them.

Calm down people.

Though I'm not a fan of the new facial changes the costume changes are really not that radical. Oh no Cinderella's dress is bluer, people are really canceling there vacations over that? Seriously?

If your young daughters minds immediately jump to sex because of the way a cartoon stands then maybe you need to have a conversation with them.

it's not that the child's mind will "jump to sex" :rolleyes: it's the fact that the changes make certain looks and behaviors seem acceptable. Unfortunately, because our culture is so overly sexualized to begin with, many people "don't see anything wrong with it". Try putting your daughter's face in the place of one of these characters and maybe, just maybe, you'll get the point. I don't want my child to be able to point to a Disney princess - a character extolled for her virtues - and point to her clothes or the way she pouts or tosses a coy look over her shoulder and think that it's "ok" because Belle is doing it. The Disney princesses are one of a small bastion of wholesomeness that moms of little girls have (had) left.

i'm in the minority i guess - i don't see what the big deal is.

Cindy always had fake lashes lipstick and a choker

the hair is a little different and the choker is sparkly now but what's the big deal? she looks like she's created by pixar now but i like pixar

my 7 year old didn't think twice when i showed her. she just thought she put on a sparkly dress.

if anything they made her even paler

Old

Cinderellapose-vi.gif

New

cp_FWB_Cinderella_20120926.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter