Chunkymonkey and Chubbyhubby's MAGICal 1st Disney Cruise - a May 2015 Trip Report! COMPLETED

I love this TR-- just reading it excites me for our cruise on the Magic next year. We weren't sure how it would compare to the newer ships- but Magic is gorgeous. I love your pictures too!

Thank you!! You will love the Magic!! Have you been on the newer ships before? I was concerned that the Magic would feel "old" but it definitely does not. (Although this was our first DCL cruise and we had nothing to compare it to). I was just so happy to be surrounded by everything Disney I didn't notice if something was off. You'll definitely see old blending with nes...some of the bathrooms near the Walt Disney are still original. And the spa treatment rooms have the old tile. However some of the bathrooms on deck 9 were refurbished and were much more modern. I don't mind the old decor though, as it reminds me of old school Disney resorts....like the Grand Floridian 10 years ago.

Have a great trip!!

Our first cruise was on the Disney Dream and we loved it, but was too short. This time we wanted more of our family friends to come with us and so we decided to go on the Magic for 5 days. I think my kids will like Magic-- b/c of Marvel and Captain America. I am excited to see Magic and the experience. I loved your trip report- i will definitely have to refer my friends to read your experience. 4 of the families have never gone on a disney cruise so I think this TR will get them excited!! Thanks :)

I actually had one question-- i have pretty bad motion sickness. I've had vertigo twice in my life, once it lasted for 3 months. I can get sick from being a passenger on cars, trains, planes, and small boats. Being on Magic, a medium sized cruise ship, were you able to feel movement? Thanks

Our first cruise was on the Disney Dream and we loved it, but was too short. This time we wanted more of our family friends to come with us and so we decided to go on the Magic for 5 days. I think my kids will like Magic-- b/c of Marvel and Captain America. I am excited to see Magic and the experience. I loved your trip report- i will definitely have to refer my friends to read your experience. 4 of the families have never gone on a disney cruise so I think this TR will get them excited!! Thanks :)

Thank you! The Dream seems like a fantastic ship, but yes the Dream cruises are so short. I can't imagine cruising for just 3 nights...it'll be a big blur to me.
Cruising with a group is so much fun I realized. It's partly why we enjoyed the cruise so much. Captain America was super popular! And the Avengers Academy...it looked really cool. I saw a glimpse of it passing by the kids club. I wanted to visit during the Open House hours but we were never around when they were going on.

I actually had one question-- i have pretty bad motion sickness. I've had vertigo twice in my life, once it lasted for 3 months. I can get sick from being a passenger on cars, trains, planes, and small boats. Being on Magic, a medium sized cruise ship, were you able to feel movement? Thanks

I didn't feel much movement at all, but we were lucky this past May that the seas were calm and the weather was great. I think it depends on how rough the waters are when you're sailing. But overall, I have cruised only once (on RCCL many years ago) and I definitely felt it before, but on the Magic, I did not feel much. I only took one Bonine at the beginning of the trip and didn't need to any other time. Have you taken any medications or worn seabands? I have heard those help.

I just finished reading up to where you finished lunch on embarkation day. Loving all the picture so far and reading from an experienced traveller who is new to Disney Cruise Line. That's so cool that you also went during Star Wars Weekend. Aaaahhhh! Someday we hope to go! You'll love Disney Fantasy. She's so huge, magestic, & beautiful!!! We boarded her in 2013. Next month we will be in Disney Wonder for the 2nd time out of Dan Diego!!!

I just finished reading up to where you finished lunch on embarkation day. Loving all the picture so far and reading from an experienced traveller who is new to Disney Cruise Line. That's so cool that you also went during Star Wars Weekend. Aaaahhhh! Someday we hope to go! You'll love Disney Fantasy. She's so huge, magestic, & beautiful!!! We boarded her in 2013. Next month we will be in Disney Wonder for the 2nd time out of Dan Diego!!!

Thank you so much! I'm so excited for our Fantasy Cruise next year! Did you think it felt more crowded than the Wonder?
Wow a cruise on the Wonder! Where is it headed? I've always wanted to do the Hawaiian Islands cruise on the Wonder!

Thank you so much! I'm so excited for our Fantasy Cruise next year! Did you think it felt more crowded than the Wonder?
Wow a cruise on the Wonder! Where is it headed? I've always wanted to do the Hawaiian Islands cruise on the Wonder!
Just like on Wonder, Fantasy never felt crowded except embarkation lunch in Cabanas & both pools that the children can go into. I feel the pool sizes are very small for the number of passengers.

Our 1st Wonder cruise was 7 nights out of Los Angeles to San francisco, San Diego, ensenada. Loved that! But booooooo to DCL for very few west coast cruises!

Out of San Diego, it's 5 nights to ensenada & Cabo San Lucas. They are doing 2 Hawaii cruisers this year and that's it. I would love to do that one day as well.

Is your niece coming next year on Fantasy? If yes, she will LOVE Bibbidy Bobbidi Boutique! We did the western caribbean itinerary.

I'll catch up on the rest of your report!

So loving your trip report!!! I feel like I'm with you on your adventures! I'm only on page 3 during your food walking tour in the Bahamas.

Maddie is sooo cute! When DS was 2 & DD was almost 6 was when we had our last cruise in 2013. We live in the Los Angeles area. Because of our time change DS was usually sleepy and cranky or would fall asleep during dinner! DH and I would trade places hiding him and we stately all day down together. One night I decided to have him in the nursery so we could have the 3 of us enjoy dinner.

Luckily this time they're 4 & 8 and we are sailing out is San Diego so no time change.

I loved the photos with your families at Palo. It's too bad your in laws didn't want to take Maddie to the kids club. There is so much for the kids to do there! Then they would have enjoyed some adult time. We absolutely LOVE Palo and agree the upcharge is worth it! When we went before it was $20. Now it's $30 & will still pay it. We have gone to brunch and dinner before but brunch is hands down are fave! So much so that next month we will do 2 brunches and no dinner. We love the seafood and I'm such a dessert person!!! I will miss the chocolate soufflé during dinner though.

I am looking forward to trying out Cove Cafe for the coffee offerings. I've never tried their food offerings there cuz I thought they weren't free. Did you try them?

The pools are definitely crowded and my kids really love the pools. We never got to try the adult pools but hope to try at least once next month.

Last trip we didn't do any of the shows because the kids were too tired by then. We really want to do shows/movies/comedy or magic shows this time.

Honestly, we don't know when we will be able to DCL again. Out hope and plan is to Aulani in 2017 so we need to save up. Next cruise in the future we hope will be a DVC member only cruise.

I forgot to mention how I'd also love to go to the store that has the Top Chef Desserts chocolates. They looked too beautiful to eat. I'd rather eat desserts but I'd gladly try those chocolates

I loved how everyone in your party got into the costume spirit for Pirate Night. Your and Steve looked great. The whole family looked great in the group photo. I love seeing character when they dress specific to a theme. We actually REALLy want to see Pirate Stitch!!!

Ok...so I just read up to where you finished packing the last night. Noooooooooo! Last day is always soooooo sad! Ugh! The last day I try to enjoy the cruise but I'm really kinda sad it's ending.

We really want to try Pirate Night buffet. Hopefully next month!

When I tried the Baked Alaska on Wonder, I was also a little disappointed.

I rally love your photos with characters. I must say that you genuinely look so happy!!!

Just like on Wonder, Fantasy never felt crowded except embarkation lunch in Cabanas & both pools that the children can go into. I feel the pool sizes are very small for the number of passengers.

Yeah I find that the case with all cruise ships. The pools are just the size of a very large hot tub!

Our 1st Wonder cruise was 7 nights out of Los Angeles to San francisco, San Diego, ensenada. Loved that! But booooooo to DCL for very few west coast cruises!

Yeah I have noticed that. Hopefully that will change!

Out of San Diego, it's 5 nights to ensenada & Cabo San Lucas. They are doing 2 Hawaii cruisers this year and that's it. I would love to do that one day as well.

I'd love to try that Cabo San Lucas cruise too! Sounds really fun.

Is your niece coming next year on Fantasy? If yes, she will LOVE Bibbidy Bobbidi Boutique! We did the western caribbean itinerary.

No unfortunately she is not. They don't travel that often and she has school. But we'd love to do DCL again with them in the future! Maybe we'll fly out and do one of the west coast cruises instead. :thumbsup2

So loving your trip report!!! I feel like I'm with you on your adventures! I'm only on page 3 during your food walking tour in the Bahamas.

Thank you!! That tour was awesome. I love anything that involves food.

Maddie is sooo cute! When DS was 2 & DD was almost 6 was when we had our last cruise in 2013. We live in the Los Angeles area. Because of our time change DS was usually sleepy and cranky or would fall asleep during dinner! DH and I would trade places hiding him and we stately all day down together. One night I decided to have him in the nursery so we could have the 3 of us enjoy dinner.

Luckily this time they're 4 & 8 and we are sailing out is San Diego so no time change.

Yeah I understand! It is hard with the time change, especially for kids. But great that you will be cruising with no time change next! :thumbsup2

I loved the photos with your families at Palo. It's too bad your in laws didn't want to take Maddie to the kids club. There is so much for the kids to do there! Then they would have enjoyed some adult time. We absolutely LOVE Palo and agree the upcharge is worth it! When we went before it was $20. Now it's $30 & will still pay it. We have gone to brunch and dinner before but brunch is hands down are fave! So much so that next month we will do 2 brunches and no dinner. We love the seafood and I'm such a dessert person!!! I will miss the chocolate soufflé during dinner though.

Yeah we gave them that option but in all honestly, I was actually only able to get a ressie for Palo brunch for 5 people. Everything else was taken. I couldn't even get a table for 2 people. It was 5 or nothing at all. My BIL and SIL thought it would be great for the parents to enjoy brunch and they sure did!

I think we'll have to do Palo brunch again! I hate to miss a dinner at the MDRs but I really want to do Remy on the Fantasy.

I am looking forward to trying out Cove Cafe for the coffee offerings. I've never tried their food offerings there cuz I thought they weren't free. Did you try them?

No I didn't because I thought they weren't free either. :lmao:
But now I know!
You'll probably see me raiding the pastry counter in Cove Cafe on the Fantasy next year...:rotfl:

The pools are definitely crowded and my kids really love the pools. We never got to try the adult pools but hope to try at least once next month.

Early morning was best. It was very peaceful and no crowds!

Last trip we didn't do any of the shows because the kids were too tired by then. We really want to do shows/movies/comedy or magic shows this time.

Definitely! I thought they were awesome!

Honestly, we don't know when we will be able to DCL again. Out hope and plan is to Aulani in 2017 so we need to save up. Next cruise in the future we hope will be a DVC member only cruise.

Aulani is amazing! I only spent 2 nights there but it's such a beautiful resort. Thought the food wasn't that great though but there are options outside of the resort. The buffet breakfast with characters was probably the best meal. It's expensive too.

I forgot to mention how I'd also love to go to the store that has the Top Chef Desserts chocolates. They looked too beautiful to eat. I'd rather eat desserts but I'd gladly try those chocolates

Those chocolates were beautiful and tasted just as good as they looked. You can definitely taste the fresh ingredients and finesse in these handmade chocolates. Highly recommend if you love artisan food/chocolates!

I loved how everyone in your party got into the costume spirit for Pirate Night. Your and Steve looked great. The whole family looked great in the group photo. I love seeing character when they dress specific to a theme. We actually REALLy want to see Pirate Stitch!!!

Thank you! It was fun to dress up and feel like we're part of the spirit of the night!

Ok...so I just read up to where you finished packing the last night. Noooooooooo! Last day is always soooooo sad! Ugh! The last day I try to enjoy the cruise but I'm really kinda sad it's ending.

It is...that's why I kinda think scheduling a week at the parks after the cruise was not a bad idea afterall...

We really want to try Pirate Night buffet. Hopefully next month!

In all honestly, aside from the decor and cool carvings, it wasn't a memorable buffet - but good to take a look around and have a snack but I would not stay up for it if I couldn't.

When I tried the Baked Alaska on Wonder, I was also a little disappointed.

Yeah it wasn't actually baked alaska, IMO. :confused:

I rally love your photos with characters. I must say that you genuinely look so happy!!!

Thank you! I was soooo happy to be on the cruise. I'm just glad everything all worked out with everyone's dates and with DH's dad being able to recover and be able to partake in the family trip!

I also forgot to tell you that they announced about a month or so ago that they do not allow items to be dropped at Guest Services for character signatures anymore. They also have changed the policy about bringing alcohol onboard. Many of us (myself included) were upset. We were planning to bring items that we already purchased for signatures. We weren't planning on bringing alcohol but many were. Many are also worried that this may also limit in the future other drinks (non-alcohol, water, etc).
They had made these changes when many were already paid in full.

Oh my goodness! What?!?!? I'm done?!?!? Wow! What an awesome TR!

I love how Disney is so efficient. That's very evident when you disembark.

I forgot to ask if you can post a picture of the necklace & pendant you got as a gift. One of the things I really look forward to is the shipping onboard! Many times you can't find those items anywhere else! I have to admit that last time I was very naughty and hope to be better this time. However there are still things I have in mind in the back of my head!!!

Your snippets of wisdom were great at the end.

Your thoughts about sunglass and watch tans I completely understand! I tan very easily on my body but burn more easily on my face and lips. I also HAVE to wear polarized sunglasses to protect my eyes. Later I get that sunglass tan. Watch tan I don't mind cuz I wear one all the time except for the pool!

I plan on doing a TR for next month's cruise & it'll be followed by a Staycation at one of the hotels across the street from the Disneyland entrance for 2 nights. When I do, I'll send the attachment to you!

Excuse me for now...I now have to read your next TR. Would love to do Star Wars Weekends one day. Always wished they would do it at Disneyland!

Last edited:
Great TR. I love that you guys did the cruise, then parks. We are doing 3 nights on the dream, then 4 nights at the grand Floridian next August. Everyone says do parks first, then cruise. What's your opinion?

I also forgot to tell you that they announced about a month or so ago that they do not allow items to be dropped at Guest Services for character signatures anymore. They also have changed the policy about bringing alcohol onboard. Many of us (myself included) were upset. We were planning to bring items that we already purchased for signatures. We weren't planning on bringing alcohol but many were. Many are also worried that this may also limit in the future other drinks (non-alcohol, water, etc).
They had made these changes when many were already paid in full.

Yeah I read about that and am kind of bummed about the signed items. At least I got to do it once. The alcohol isn't really an issue for us as 2 bottles of wine is plenty for us. I may not really bring alcohol this time as we want to try more signature drinks, My sister doesn't drink wine or alcohol much unless it's a sangria then she's all over it. :)

Oh my goodness! What?!?!? I'm done?!?!? Wow! What an awesome TR!

Thank you! Thanks for reading!!

I love how Disney is so efficient. That's very evident when you disembark.

I was really surprised at how painless the process is.

I forgot to ask if you can post a picture of the necklace & pendant you got as a gift. One of the things I really look forward to is the shipping onboard! Many times you can't find those items anywhere else! I have to admit that last time I was very naughty and hope to be better this time. However there are still things I have in mind in the back of my head!!!

Sure! I will find it and post it!

Your snippets of wisdom were great at the end.

Thanks! They were more to remind me of what to do for our next cruise!! Glad you found them helpful!

Your thoughts about sunglass and watch tans I completely understand! I tan very easily on my body but burn more easily on my face and lips. I also HAVE to wear polarized sunglasses to protect my eyes. Later I get that sunglass tan. Watch tan I don't mind cuz I wear one all the time except for the pool!

Oh man I looked really nuts. I was a different tone all over. I just gave up and stopped trying to hide it after all while. :rotfl:

I plan on doing a TR for next month's cruise & it'll be followed by a Staycation at one of the hotels across the street from the Disneyland entrance for 2 nights. When I do, I'll send the attachment to you!

Oh please do, sounds so exciting!! I miss DL terribly!

Excuse me for now...I now have to read your next TR. Would love to do Star Wars Weekends one day. Always wished they would do it at Disneyland!

See ya over on my TR!!

Great TR. I love that you guys did the cruise, then parks. We are doing 3 nights on the dream, then 4 nights at the grand Floridian next August. Everyone says do parks first, then cruise. What's your opinion?

Hi! Thanks for reading and for the kind words!
I had initially thought we should do parks then cruise but since the dates didn't work out we had to cruise then parks. It turned out to be wonderful. Because we all have busy jobs and trying to get our work done, and the hassle of getting to the airport only to have to get up early the next day or even the same day to hit the parks...I think I am just drained and just really tired. I mean I love park vacations, but sometimes you just need 2 days of R and R...then you can hit the parks running!

So the cruise was nice in that it prepared us for the parks. Although we did a lot, we felt really relaxed and never felt rushed to get one one park to another. Dinner, shows, character meets...all on the boat which made it really nice and inclusive. Even at ports, we felt it was the right amount of activity for us, and were happy to come back to a cool stateroom!

When we got off the ship we weren't too sad because we still had a week of parks too! At the end of our park trip though, we were done, we were so tired and wanted to feel the comfort of our beds. Park hopping gets harder and harder to do each you get older. LOL :rotfl:

So I am a fan with the cruise than parks, although I have not done parks and cruise yet. I will probably try that one year, and there will be pluses and minuses with both I'm sure. ;)

Yeah I read about that and am kind of bummed about the signed items. At least I got to do it once. The alcohol isn't really an issue for us as 2 bottles of wine is plenty for us. I may not really bring alcohol this time as we want to try more signature drinks, My sister doesn't drink wine or alcohol much unless it's a sangria then she's all over it. :)

Thank you! Thanks for reading!!

I was really surprised at how painless the process is.

Sure! I will find it and post it!

Thanks! They were more to remind me of what to do for our next cruise!! Glad you found them helpful!

Oh man I looked really nuts. I was a different tone all over. I just gave up and stopped trying to hide it after all while. :rotfl:

Oh please do, sounds so exciting!! I miss DL terribly!

See ya over on my TR!!

Hi! Thanks for reading and for the kind words!
I had initially thought we should do parks then cruise but since the dates didn't work out we had to cruise then parks. It turned out to be wonderful. Because we all have busy jobs and trying to get our work done, and the hassle of getting to the airport only to have to get up early the next day or even the same day to hit the parks...I think I am just drained and just really tired. I mean I love park vacations, but sometimes you just need 2 days of R and R...then you can hit the parks running!

So the cruise was nice in that it prepared us for the parks. Although we did a lot, we felt really relaxed and never felt rushed to get one one park to another. Dinner, shows, character meets...all on the boat which made it really nice and inclusive. Even at ports, we felt it was the right amount of activity for us, and were happy to come back to a cool stateroom!

When we got off the ship we weren't too sad because we still had a week of parks too! At the end of our park trip though, we were done, we were so tired and wanted to feel the comfort of our beds. Park hopping gets harder and harder to do each you get older. LOL :rotfl:

So I am a fan with the cruise than parks, although I have not done parks and cruise yet. I will probably try that one year, and there will be pluses and minuses with both I'm sure. ;)
Great analysis. Yes, for us based on airfare and crowd levels, we are doing cruise, then parks!!

I read that you asked about the Fantasy being crowded. We just got off on Saturday and it really wasn't too bad. I don't think the boat was sold out this cruise though. I noticed it the most at breakfast and lunch and then any main event in the atrium like Halloween Storytelling or the Character Dance Party. It never felt like too much though. And the amazing cast members were everywhere so you never felt like you couldn't get someone's attention if you needed to!

I read that you asked about the Fantasy being crowded. We just got off on Saturday and it really wasn't too bad. I don't think the boat was sold out this cruise though. I noticed it the most at breakfast and lunch and then any main event in the atrium like Halloween Storytelling or the Character Dance Party. It never felt like too much though. And the amazing cast members were everywhere so you never felt like you couldn't get someone's attention if you needed to!

Thank you Ashley! I was worried that the big size of the Fantasy would just make it that much more crowded but I guess the sheer size of the boat would make the crowds spread out a bit. I understand how all the main events will be crowded. The Sail Away party and the Pirate festivities were pretty crowded on the Magic but not so much that you couldn't find a place to stand. I am thinking that the Star Wars Day At Sea festivities may be super crowded since a few people are probably booking these cruises just to go to those events. I'll have to wait until someone posts an actual review of those cruises next year! Thanks for the info!

Thank you Ashley! I was worried that the big size of the Fantasy would just make it that much more crowded but I guess the sheer size of the boat would make the crowds spread out a bit. I understand how all the main events will be crowded. The Sail Away party and the Pirate festivities were pretty crowded on the Magic but not so much that you couldn't find a place to stand. I am thinking that the Star Wars Day At Sea festivities may be super crowded since a few people are probably booking these cruises just to go to those events. I'll have to wait until someone posts an actual review of those cruises next year! Thanks for the info!

Of course! The only time I really noticed crowds were during the events that only happened once a sailing. Other than that the ship seemed to be proportioned just right. I'm doing my TR now and on Day 4 of 7 if you want to visit. I'll be reading yours over and over again for Magic tips :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter