CHRISTMAS VACATION (The Trip, Not the Movie): 12/19 - We're back, TR link on p. 25

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by annnewjerz, Apr 19, 2009.

1. annnewjerz

annnewjerz If I had a world of my own, everything would be no

Ugh....

So I got my Disney shirts today, and I hate to say it but I'm not sure if I'll be keeping them.

Prior to ordering them, I asked on another board if the shirts from The Disney Store run big, small or true to size. I was told they ran small and that I should probably order a size bigger than usual in case they shrunk after washing them. So, I ordered a size bigger than I would usually wear and I've got to say---they look really short and really wide. I hardly ever wear t-shirts, but when I do, I like them to be long and fitted. Maybe when I put them on, then won't be as boxy as I'm thinking they look. Or maybe they'll shrink a bunch in the wash. Unless I put them on and they are the right length and only slightly larger than I would like, these bad boys are going back. :headache:

We'll see.....

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. annnewjerz

So I have a multitude of updates for all of you out there in PTR reading land. :goodvibes

My first update is the most boring and it's about my Disney shirts. I tried them on when I got home and they were too big. I didn't want to risk washing them and having them shrink and still not be small enough, so I returned them to our local Disney store and got some others instead. DH's shirts were way too large also, so he got some new ones. Luckily, DM's shirts fit well and she decided she would keep hers.

I swapped out Winnie the Pooh for Eeyore (a purple shirt) for our Crystal Palace breakfast if we get it.

I swapped out Tinkerbell for a Mickey Mouse I believe. I still have Kermit (wasn't able to return that on the weekend at the store because it was on sale and I need to come back during the week).

Haven't tried on these new shirts yet, but I'm hoping that they fit better and I don't have to deal with anymore returns. I HATE paying return shipping and it's hard to get to the Disney store during the week because of work. Ugh. :headache:

4. lurkyloo

lurkyloo The Attic was just perfect!

What a drag! I hear ya on that one - I think shipping and return shipping should always be FREE! I realize this is not financially feasible for most companies, but if I could get the same thing at a local store, why should I pay extra (i.e., shipping) to order it from them online?).

I'm looking forward to seeing what your new shirts look like! popcorn:: (Apparently this entails eating popcorn...)

5. annnewjerz

So, another update I have for anyone reading is that we decided we are not going to do the KTTK and MVMCP this trip. Since we are upgrading to the Deluxe DDP and trying to make this trip relaxing and a little less frantic, we decided that having two scheduled ADRs a day to get to would be enough without having to worry about tour and party start times.

If we get there and decide we'd like to take a tour, I will call to see if there are any openings. If not, I have polled everyone in our travel group and no one seems to care one way or the other if we take it or not.

We will still be doing the Behind the Seeds tour, since that is only an hour long and costs around $15 per person. It seems informative, fun and not too long to the point where I'll wonder if it was worth the time and money away from the parks.

All of this is subject to change, of course, but once you read my next update you will understand why it's not likely that we'll change back to doing KTTK and MVMCP. :santa:

6. annnewjerz

So this is the final update and the best, which is why I saved it for last.

Since we decided we weren't doing the KTTK tour and MVMCP, that saved me about $350. I didn't want to think of anything else to spend all $350 on since it would more than likely be a waste (a Photopass CD, more souveniers, etc.) but I was still trying to think of a surprise for DM and DH since I had spoiled all of the others.

To recap, I spoiled:

- Cirque du Soleil
    - Car service to the airport
    - Extra night at WDW
    - KTTK and MVMCP (which we aren't doing now anyway)

So here is what I decided to do. For our first night (December 12) we were booked at POP since it was a bonus night for us to see Cirque and we wanted to do it cheap. Well---then the room only discounts came out and I called yesterday to apply it to our October reservation. Then today, I remembered that we were doing 1 night cash and 5 nights DVC in December, which means I could apply the room only discount to our first night in December. (Can you see where this is going) :idea:

Well, there were two places I really thought sounded great at Christmas. Boardwalk (which is where we are staying) and Wilderness Lodge, which I couldn't justify spending over $300 for one night.

Today, I called WDW to inquire about whether or not there were any room only discounts left for WL and guess what? There were!!! :woohoo:

Now before we get too excited, let me preface this by saying that we booked a Courtyard View Bunkbed room (it was all they had). It is currently $150 more that night than staying at POP, but I plan to call back every so often to see if they have a standard 2-queen room. If not, it's not the end of the world and I'll either keep that room (most likely scenario, my Mom won't care about sleeping on a bunk bed---she is really that low maintenance) or switch to a standard view somewhere like Port Orleans Riverside.

So for now, I'm doing the happy dance because....

I'M STAYING AT THE WILDERNESS LODGE FOR CHRISTMAS TIME!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

7. MissMet

MissMet DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blo

Congratulations! :banana: That's so awesome!

I'm so excited for you. I can't wait to hear how you like it. I haven't stayed there yet, because like you want to stay there at christmas time. :santa:

8. khertz

khertz Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Bummer about the shirts, but yay for tickets and WL AT CHRISTMAS!! How amazing that will be!! It is one of the resorts I'm most looking forward to seeing dressed up for Christmas.

We just ordered our tickets as well...my email from UPS says they should be delivered tomorrow!! :banana:

9. WDWRocksMySocks

WDWRocksMySocks <font color=darkorchid>maybe I just have mullets o

I am officially jealous! Staying at WL at Christmas time is on my list of must-dos. I think it's certainly worth the extra $150!! Can't wait to see all the awesome photos you'll take of WL. ::drool::

10. happenin2you

happenin2you Mouseketeer

you are so lucky to get WL! I can't wait to see the pictures from there. here's to hoping yu can switch to a reg queen room. and i'm excited to see your new shirts and find out if they fit right.

11. LOVEMY3KIDDOS

LOVEMY3KIDDOS DIS Veteran

I'm so upset about the shirts. I was considering going over there and getting some! Plans look good! Yay for WL!

12. raider97

raider97 DIS Veteran

Congrats on Wilderness Lodge!! :banana:
    I would love to stay there at Christmas!

Sorry to hear the shirts didn't work out well. How do you like the new ones?

Stephanie

13. annnewjerz

Well everyone, there has already been another resort change for our trip in December.

Yesterday, you may remember I upgraded the first night of our trip from POP Century to a room at the Wilderness Lodge as a surprise for DH and DM. That was SO EXCITING----but, it has changed already. I'm a compulsive trip changer, I'm sorry. :guilty: If anyone knows of any good 12-step groups, let me know and I'm in.

So anywho, originally we had booked a Courtyard View Bunk-Bed room at the WL for $150 more than it cost to stay at POP for the night. That was fine, it was worth it. BUT after I poked around some more, I saw that a Standard View Studio at the Boardwalk Villas was open. :headache: It was $50 cheaper than the room at WL, it had a queen sleeper sofa for DM rather than bunk beds and it was where we were spending the remainder of our trip so it would save us the trouble of having to switch resorts after one night. :woohoo:

I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for a Standard View room at the Wilderness Lodge for under $200. If that happened, I would deal with the hassle of resort switching and book it. It would only be around $60 more expensive than our original POP ressie, would have 2 queen beds and we would still get to see the WL at Christmas. Right now, no dice on the standard room---but if one opens up, I'll let ya know! :goodvibes

14. annnewjerz

Based on the recent switch from POP to Wilderness Lodge to Boardwalk Villas, I'm trying to revise our tentative plan for our first day in The World and I need some thoughts.

Here was my initial plan for the day while staying at POP:

3:00am Wake up for 7:00am flight. This is the important part.

11:00am - 1:30pm Arrive at POP, check into room, have lunch and relax around the hotel if the room was ready.

1:30pm - 5:00pm Shop in Downtown Disney, grab dinner at Earl of Sandwich

5:00pm - 7:30pm Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba

7:30pm - 9:00pm More Downtown Disney and grab some Ghirardellis. Return to POP fo the night.

Now, since we will be staying so close to Epcot and have a park pass for the day juuuuuust in case we decided we wanted to go to a park, I'm thinking that maybe we should skip the relaxing and cut the time at DTD short (since it was just a filler anyway) and spend a few hours at Epcot to start the trip. The plan would look a little something like this now:

3:00am Wake up for 7:00am flight

11:00am - 2:00pm Arrive at BWV and check-in, go straight to Epcot. Have lunch at a counter-service location.

2:00pm - 5:00pm Change into nicer clothes for La Nouba, go to DTD to shop for a bit.

5:00pm - 7:30pm Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba

7:30pm - 9:00pm Dinner in DTD at Earl of Sandwich, head back to resort for the night.

For the second plan, we would be up and going from 3:00am until 9:00pm. However, we plan on getting a decent bit of sleep on Friday night and can nap on the plane for 2 hours, so staying up until 9:00pm really shouldn't be all that hard---should it? ;)

What do you think? Would you take advantage of the close proximity to Epcot and the park pass and go to a park for a few hours, or relax and unwind and get ready for 6 more days of park touring? :confused3

15. Villainess

Villainess Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney

Since we are always on the 6:30-7am flights and up and on our way to the airport at 3:30am, I would say go to Epcot! Sleep on the plane, make it a leisurely walk through Epcot - relaxing CS meal, maybe plan to see a few shows in WS (the Beatles tribute group or Off Kilter), Christmas storytelling, etc.

16. annnewjerz

Woohoo---I'm so with you! I figure, if we have the days on our park ticket and we'll be within a 5 minute walk to the International Gateway, why not---right?? I got that extra day on the ticket for a reason, the reason being that I've never taken a trip to WDW and been able to manage staying out of a park that first day. I'm just too excited to get the fun started. :banana:

I'm sure everyone can relate to that (or at least everyone on the DIS can). ;)

17. LOVEMY3KIDDOS

LOVEMY3KIDDOS DIS Veteran

I say go to Epcot...you'll be on a Disney adrenaline rush to get through the long day and you'll have plenty of time to sleep that night!

18. raider97

raider97 DIS Veteran

Congrats on the room! How nice that you won't have to switch resorts now. I also vote to spend some time at Epcot. Sounds like a fun first day!

Stephanie

19. KathyRN137

KathyRN137 ...and the greatest of these is Love

Hi Ann!

I'm just saving a space so I can come back tomorrow and read...

I just can't keep my eyes open another minute!! ;)

Kathy

20. creativeamanda

creativeamanda <font color=darkorchid>One slithering around on me

I say, go to Epcot. . .you'll be close at BWV. If it were any other resort area and you had La Nouba that night, I'd say no way, but with you being so close and able to take the boat, I'd say go for it!

Just remember, those buses to DTD can take for-evah!

21. annnewjerz

Hi :wave2:

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the input! We will actually just walk to Epcot (from what I understand it's only about 5 minutes to the International Gateway) and thankfully---I have no plan to catch the bus to DTD, we'll be cabbin' it to make the most of our first day. :thumbsup2

We'll take the bus back to our resort from DTD. I think there are two types of people in the world:

A. Those who are in a rush to get where they are going; and
    B. Those who are in a rush to get back "home" after going out.

I'm definitely a member of group A. It can take an hour or two to get home, but I want to be able to get to where I'm going without any wait at all, and without renting a car---a cab will be the best way to do that. :goodvibes