CHRISTMAS VACATION (The Trip, Not the Movie): 12/19 - We're back, TR link on p. 25

So, what was the final verdict??? DxDDP or no?

HAHA, final verdict schminal verdict. I won't have a decision on that for a long while. Since we are staying on DVC points, we only have to know something like 2 days in advance of the trip. :goodvibes

I went through all of the menus again last night and wrote down what we would each order, calculated the costs, added in some extra $$ for a cushion, took away some ADRs and added in CS, figured out what it would cost if we split meals v. getting our own. Basically I did it all. Any combo you can think of, I did.

Here is what I came up with:

PLAN A (DxDDP w/ all original ADRs)

Includes the Deluxe DDP for 5 nights + 1 day of food when we first arrive + tips for TS meals + some snacks around the World Showcase out of pocket = approximately $550 per person.

PLAN B (DxDDP w/o 4-5 original ADRs, but replaced with CS)

Includes the Deluxe DDP for 5 nights + 1 day of food when we first arrive + tips for TS meals + snacks around the World Showcase out of pocket = approximately $515 per person

*the only savings here is the $40 in tips per person we wouldn't spend because of removing 4-5 TS meals

PLAN C (No DxDDP. Cancel 4-5 original ADRs but keep all Signatures & must-dos)

Includes meals at 8 TS restaurants w/ entrees split between me and DM + 5 CS meals + out of pocket costs for snacks/refillable mugs = approximately $465 per person

This is exactly why I am hesitating to drop the DxDDP. For about $50 more per person than "Plan C" where we split meals and sort of mind what we are ordering, we can do "Plan B" where we still use the DxDDP, do a few CS meals instead of all TS so the pace of the trip is a little more relaxed, still eat where we want and be guaranteed an app, entree, dessert of our own for every meal, even if we don't want to eat it.

I think "Plan A" is officially scrapped, because my DM just decided she may use a wheelchair while we are in The World. She was diagnosed with Plantar Facsiitis a week or two ago and is worried that non-stop all day walking may be too much. Because of this, we will probably take it slower through the parks since we will be pushing her---and that leads me to believe that maybe we should toss just a few of our ADRs and eat CS instead.

Ugh.

Today was an exciting day in the world of Disney trip planning. Not only did I book our Behind the Seeds tour, but I also received some very special mail from Carrie (Lurkyloo). She had a contest in her PTR and the 100th person to follow her on Twitter won a special D23 Expo souvenier.

Well, the 100th person was me---and look what I got!!! :hyper: :hyper:

(please excuse the crappy iPHONE photo)

photo-763119.jpg

I'm very happy to have a new pin to add to my collection, since I have been practicing self-control recently and haven't purchased any in a few months.

Thanks, Carrie! :woohoo:

I'm just so glad you weren't disappointed not to get a flashing bouncy eyeball like the winner of my last contest! :banana:

Here's a pic of it I stole from the Internets for my trip report...

D23ExpoPin.jpg

Super-cool prize! Congrats!

"final verdict, schminal verdict!" :lmao:

Kathy

Thanks---it was definitely worth signing up for Twitter (even though I swore I never would) for the free D23 pin. Very cool! :thumbsup2

You know what they (I) say about Disney trips, nothing is final until either A. deposits are due B. you are within the penalty period for cancelling or C. you arrive on property. For anything to be really final at just a staggering 3 months out would just be insaaaaaaaaaaaaaane. :crazy:

Today while at work (on my lunch break, of course...I would never DIS during the day ;)) I noticed that the Wishes Dessert Party had been opened in December for non-MVMCP days. :eek:

Figuring that this was too good to be true or I was already way too late and would most certainly speak to a CM who would tell me the party was sold out, I decided to call WDW-DINE to see what was up.

Lo and behold, the rumors were true! The dessert party was, in fact, taking reservations for non-MVMCP days and even more fantastic is the fact that they had my day available!!

So after a very pleasant 5 minute telephone conversation with a CM, we are all booked to attend the Wishes Dessert Party on December 14.

Did I really need to spend the extra $70 when I've already shelled out so much on extras? Probably not. However, I keep ruining all of the surprises that I have planned and I feel compelled to replace the ruined surprise with a new one.

Here's hoping that I don't ruin this one also!! ;) :santa:

Hi, I am here! It is a lot to read so I will catch up over the next few weeks! I think I may need to talk to you about the whole dvc rental thing with dxdp etc...

Hi, I am here! It is a lot to read so I will catch up over the next few weeks! I think I may need to talk to you about the whole dvc rental thing with dxdp etc...

Welcome!! So glad you stopped by. A lot of my posts are just rambling random crap, but there may be something substantive in there somewhere. ;)

If you've got any questions---ask away! Renting points was an awesome deal for us and even though I'm still undecided on the DxDDP, I'm looking forward to reading some more reviews of it first before I make any final decisions.

Welcome!! So glad you stopped by. A lot of my posts are just rambling random crap, but there may be something substantive in there somewhere. ;)

If you've got any questions---ask away! Renting points was an awesome deal for us and even though I'm still undecided on the DxDDP, I'm looking forward to reading some more reviews of it first before I make any final decisions.

FYI- we have done the DxDP this year and last year! and booked it again for next year! we LOVE it! More on that later!

I had to jump on your PTR bandwagon. I was flipping through PTRs, looking for folks that will be there at the same time...and while I haven't read the whole thing...but I had to join in because:

1) We are both starting out at POP on December 12th (our group is STAYING there the whole week as we are on a budget trip).
2) You are traveling with DM - we are bringing along DMIL (We also have a DD6, though)
3) Our park days actually line up sort-of close...even including MK on Dec 14th - which is my 40th Birthday.

So, I thought I better "get to know you" so to speak...in case I spot you and DH and DM while wandering around. You can check out my PTR to compare plans if you like. (I will try and read more of your PTR here - but its LONG.)

BTW - we did "Behind the Seeds" many years ago - and thought it was well worth the money! Very interesting to be able to talk one on one with a CM and see the Land from without drifting by it in a boat. This has got to be one of the best value tours at Disney World.
SkierPete

Holy Moley! I dug a little deeper on your PTR - We have ADRs for the California Grill on the same day AT THE EXACT SAME TIME! (12/15 @ 7:40 PM) What are the odds of that! It's just DW and I for dinner that night (DMIL will be watching DD) - but I hope we can find a way to say "hello" while watching Christmas Wishes!

SkierPete

I had to jump on your PTR bandwagon. I was flipping through PTRs, looking for folks that will be there at the same time

Welcome!!! :wave2: I'll definitely have to check out your PTR. If you see a girl lugging a camera bag, with a man carrying a tripod and possibly pushing a wheelchair with a woman in it---that's us!! :thumbsup2

1) We are both starting out at POP on December 12th (our group is STAYING there the whole week as we are on a budget trip).

Ah, POP. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) we will no longer be at POP. You will see this somewhere in the PTR. I was looking forward to getting some photos of all the colored generational icons, but we were able to get a room at BWV for the first night of our trip as well with fall room-only code, so we'll be at BWV the whole time. :santa:

3) Our park days actually line up sort-of close...even including MK on Dec 14th - which is my 40th Birthday.

Well happy early birthday and maybe we'll see ya there! We're doing the dessert party on the 14th, very excited. I'll be in WDW for my birthday in October this year. What better way to deal with getting older than spending the day at the happiest place on earth?? :goodvibes

BTW - we did "Behind the Seeds" many years ago - and thought it was well worth the money! Very interesting to be able to talk one on one with a CM and see the Land from without drifting by it in a boat. This has got to be one of the best value tours at Disney World.
SkierPete

So glad to hear it. I have heard nothing but good reviews for this tour (I mean c'mon---it's like $15 per person, you can barely get a cinnamon roll for that price anymore ;)) so for anyone to complain would be a little outrageous! I'm really looking forward to it, since Living with the Land is a guilty pleasure of mine. I have to do it every trip!

Holy Moley! I dug a little deeper on your PTR - We have ADRs for the California Grill on the same day AT THE EXACT SAME TIME! (12/15 @ 7:40 PM) What are the odds of that! It's just DW and I for dinner that night (DMIL will be watching DD) - but I hope we can find a way to say "hello" while watching Christmas Wishes!

SkierPete

Freeeeeeeeaky. That kind of stuff only happens in DHS while you are about to enter the Twilight Zone!!! Definitely do say hello if you see us. As of right now, I couldn't pick you out from another other Joe Schmo, but if you have pics in your PTR (which I'm heading to check out) I'll definitely say hi!

Now I have to add a PS too, since I just saw yours. My DM did go to the doctor, got a cortizone shot and wears some special sock/boot thing to bed every night. The doctor said that she shouldn't have to use the wheelchair around WDW unless it turns out to be a chronic condition---which they will know in a few weeks after the shot wears off. I think her plan now is to start walking around and at the first sign of pain, hop in some wheels to make sure she doesn't over-do it. Honestly, I'm a little bummed by the fact that she may walk---I was really looking forward to hanging my camera gear on her chair while we walk through the parks!!! ;)

Freeeeeeeeaky. That kind of stuff only happens in DHS while you are about to enter the Twilight Zone!!! Definitely do say hello if you see us. As of right now, I couldn't pick you out from another other Joe Schmo, but if you have pics in your PTR (which I'm heading to check out) I'll definitely say hi!

Actually - it's Pete Schmo I look nothing like Joe - and there are some pix in my PTR. I will typically have a rust colored camelback with my LGMH on the back....but probably not at CG. How about I just stand up and shout "Is there an Ann from New Jersey here?" Nahhh...my DW will throw me off the deck before the fireworks start - and unlike Tink I won't have a wire!

Another thing in common - with your mom this time. I have had problems with Planar Fasciasis (can't spell - but let's call it a heel spur) right before our Disney trip last year. I went to the Pediatrist with about 3 weeks to go - and he wrapped my foot - gave me stretches - did the cortosone shot thing - and by the time I got to Disney it was near 100 % better. (A little pain, but didn't stop me from doing anything.) Don't know your DM situation of course, but assuming she has insurance - get to the doctor - they can do something about it and make everyone's trip more enjoyable.

I am reading your PTR to piecemeal - gotta make it through start to finish...

SkierPete

Hmmm. I'm wondering if I need to cancel my dinner at The Wave on 12/14 since we will be doing the Wishes Dessert Party that night.

Here's my two thoughts:

1. I should cancel the dinner ressie and make a lunch ressie for Kona instead. This way, we will have time to digest and fill up on as much dessert as we can for the party.

2. I should keep my dinner ressie since I really wanted to do The Wave. The reservation is at 5:30 and if we skip dessert with dinner (nothing looked too fantastic anyway) we can just go ahead and eat dessert at the Dessert Party at 7:30.

Opinions? Our other reservation that day is for a 8:15am breakfast at the Crystal Palace, so we definitely will be hungry by the time the afternoon rolls around---I just figured we'd grab a snack and head to dinner. The main appeal of the dessert party (for me) was the fact that DM didn't care to watch Wishes in the first place, so I thought sitting at a table versus fighting the crowds might make it a little more enjoyable for her. The dessert was just an added bonus---the icing on the cake, so to speak. (pun intended) ;)

Hmmm. I'm wondering if I need to cancel my dinner at The Wave on 12/14 since we will be doing the Wishes Dessert Party that night.

Here's my two thoughts:

1. I should cancel the dinner ressie and make a lunch ressie for Kona instead. This way, we will have time to digest and fill up on as much dessert as we can for the party.

2. I should keep my dinner ressie since I really wanted to do The Wave. The reservation is at 5:30 and if we skip dessert with dinner (nothing looked too fantastic anyway) we can just go ahead and eat dessert at the Dessert Party at 7:30.

Opinions? Our other reservation that day is for a 8:15am breakfast at the Crystal Palace, so we definitely will be hungry by the time the afternoon rolls around---I just figured we'd grab a snack and head to dinner. The main appeal of the dessert party (for me) was the fact that DM didn't care to watch Wishes in the first place, so I thought sitting at a table versus fighting the crowds might make it a little more enjoyable for her. The dessert was just an added bonus---the icing on the cake, so to speak. (pun intended) ;)

I would skip dinner and possibly try for a Kona or maybe even a Wave lunch?? We did the Dessert Party, but were stuffffed from dinner to really totally enjoy it! Also, we had an early dinner, and pretty much skipped dessert at Le Cellier, and we were still stuffed!

I would do the dinner and just skip dessert there. I have an issue with the dessert party too. Only, I had a res for Boma that I had to cancel because it was during the party!! Now I think we are just going to do a light CS dinner and have the desserts as our main course!!!! LOL

Why don't you keep dinner but see if the have any earlier times? Otherwise I would say keep dinner and skip dessert at the Wave. It's so fun to try new restaurants and if you really wanted to go to the Wave then I think you should! Otherwise maybe try to get a lunch reservation there.

I would skip dinner and possibly try for a Kona or maybe even a Wave lunch?? We did the Dessert Party, but were stuffffed from dinner to really totally enjoy it! Also, we had an early dinner, and pretty much skipped dessert at Le Cellier, and we were still stuffed!

Bummer. I could get a lunch ressie at Kona (I checked) but I have one for the next day that I'm still up in the air about and really don't want to do Kona twice. I also wasn't impressed with the lunch menu online for The Wave, so don't want to do that either. AND---I know it's vacation, but just eating dessert for dinner is making me feel a little guilty. I feel like we should eat some meat and taters before we stuff ourselves full of chocolate and cheesecake like the gluttons we are. :laughing:

I would do the dinner and just skip dessert there. I have an issue with the dessert party too. Only, I had a res for Boma that I had to cancel because it was during the party!! Now I think we are just going to do a light CS dinner and have the desserts as our main course!!!! LOL

My thought is that 5:30 dinner, we'd be done eating around 6:30 and desserts don't even really start until 7:30, so we'd have an hour to digest a little and then we'd try a few different desserts. After all, just because it's a dessert buffet doesn't mean we have to stuff ourselves full of as much dessert as possible---does it?

Why don't you keep dinner but see if the have any earlier times? Otherwise I would say keep dinner and skip dessert at the Wave. It's so fun to try new restaurants and if you really wanted to go to the Wave then I think you should! Otherwise maybe try to get a lunch reservation there.

Unfortunately, dinner at an earlier time than 5:30 at The Wave is considered lunch, and I'm not interested in their lunch entrees. I agree---trying new restaurants is fun and since breakfast is so early we'll definitely want something for dinner.

Hmmmmmmm. Decisions decisions.:headache:

Split a meal at dinner and keep the dessert party! You don't have to stuff yourselves at either place - you can just taste! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter