Christmas Time with Clarabelle Cow (WDW Nov. 30-Dec. 4, 2016) UPDATED: 04/17/18

dramadrew

Mouseketeer
I had a previous post in the pretrip thread with a different title, but I couldn't get it transferred over here. So copy and paste some posts and I can begin my trip report here!

My dad and stepmom turned 60 this year and to celebrate, they took their children and grandchildren to Disney World! The only thing we had to pay for was our flight down, souvenirs, and contribute to park hopping upgrade. It was a no brainer to accept this offer. We went November 30-December 4, 2016. We all stayed at the Art of Animation Resort in the Lion King suites. We all had the dining plan.

Being a planner, it was a struggle to get my family on board. All of them wanted to go with the flow and wouldn't select what park to go to each day until they get down there. However, my stepsister created plans closer to, but they did change once down there. At that point I did not let it stress me. If it worked out for them, so be it! We were encouraged to go off and do our own thing and we would all be together for two family meals, so that was my plan.​

CAST OF CHARACTERS:
(Only including two as the report will be based on our plan)

Andrew (Review Writer)

Favorite Disney Movie: The Lion King
Favorite Disney Attractions: Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain
What To Look Forward to in this Trip: MVMCP and seeing the park through my nieces and nephews eyes. Also seeing the park at Christmastime!

Ryan (DH)

Favorite Disney Movie: Beauty and the Beast
Favorite Disney Attractions: Haunted Mansion, Everest Expedition, and the Mountains.

Come join us for this trip.

Last edited:
Our Itinerary:

Wednesday, November 30
  • Early flight from BWI. Landed around 8:30 AM.
  • Dropped off our belongings at the Art of Animation Resort.
  • Headed over to Hollywood Studios, just around the corner.
  • Got a snack, checked out the gift shop, watched the Hollywood Citizens and met Moana.
  • Got in the stand by line for Rockin' Rollercoaster. We decided we would switch to single riders line for shorter time. SUCCESS!
  • Met up with a friend and old colleague.
  • Used our first FP to Tower of Terror.
  • Ate lunch at PizzeRizzo.
  • Watched Muppets 3D.
  • Skipped our unnecessary FP to Star Tours and got it switched to KS at Animal Kingdom around sunset.
  • Waited around for Characterpalooza. Due to the changing of locations around that time and it sprinkling, it was either some place else or cancelled.
  • Did our third FP to Toy Story Mania.
  • Watched Frozen Singalong.
  • Left and went to Animal Kingdom.
  • Did KS around sunset.
  • Rode Expedition Everest, twice. Got headaches.
  • Looked at gift shops and watched the Tree of Life Awaken.
  • Headed over to the Polynesian Resort to eat at 'Ohana.
  • Headed back to AoA Resort.
Thursday, December 1
  • Got to Epcot in time for EMH.
  • Power walked to Frozen Ever after, first in line.
  • Waited in a misleading "10 minute wait" line for Anna and Elsa.
  • Used our first and only used FP to Test Track.
  • Did standby for Soarin'.
  • Met older sister at entrance, headed over to Cape May Cafe to meet rest of family.
  • Spent the day exploring the World Showcase with DH, sister, and her boyfriend.
  • Four of ate at Restaurant Marrekash (cancelled our couples dinner at La Hacienda to eat together).
  • Did some more shopping.
  • Called it a night.
Friday, December 2
  • Arrived at Animal Kingdom a little after 9 AM opening.
  • Rode KS with DH, sister, her boyfriend and our niece.
  • Watched the Lion King Festival.
  • Rode Expedition Everest.
  • Ate at Harambe Markets.
  • DH and I did our final FP to Dinosaur.
  • Explored both animal trails.
  • DH and I left to go to Disney Springs.
  • Met Coca Cola polar bear, who tried to eat DH's head. Best character meet of trip!
  • Explored a couple shops and got souvenirs.
  • Headed to MK for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.
  • Got in line for Pooh gang at 6:30 PM, met them around 7:10 PM.
  • Rode Haunted Mansion.
  • Ate at Peco Bills.
  • Met one of the Country Bears.
  • Watched the second castle lighting.
  • Checked out Cosmic Ray's, no polar bears out. :-(
  • Rode It's a Small World.
  • Got in line for Mary Poppins and Bert, cut off before our turn. Got out of line.
  • Watched Clarabelle Cow be a diva in Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration.
  • Went back to TL, still no polar bears at Cosmic Ray's. Got cookies and hot cocoa.
  • Rode Dumbo while watching fireworks in the queue.
  • Rode Under the Sea.
  • Watched Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade.
  • Went back to AoA Resort.
Saturday, December 3
  • Slept in (well "slept in" for Disney) and headed to Polynesian Resort with DH, sister, her boyfriend and daughter for tonga toast!
  • Enjoyed boat ride from and to Magic Kingdom.
  • DH and I did our first FP to Space Mountain.
  • All four of us relaxed on People Mover.
  • All four of us watched Carousel of Progress, only two of us enjoyed the nostalgic quality to it.
  • DH and I went our separate way to do our second FP to Splash Mountain.
  • Got Dole Whip.
  • DH and I watched Muppets Greatest Moments in American History.
  • DH and I did our final FP to Mine Train.
  • Watched Mickey's Philharmagic. DH helped yell at couple who refused to move all the way to the right.
  • Went to Gaston's Tavern for Lefou's Brew.
  • Met all of family at Be Our Guest for dinner.
  • DH and I participated in the Country Hoedown, I hokey pokeyed with Clarabelle Cow and was in bliss.
  • Started to head back for early night, forgot we had to go to Grand Floridian to see the Gingerbread House.
  • Hour and half later, made it over there by monorail.
  • Went back to AoA Resort.
Sunday, December 4:
  • Breakfast with family at AoA food court.
  • DH and I headed home. :-(

DAY 1: Hollywood Studios

We started off early in the morning with a flight at 6 AM. Although security wasn’t that long of a wait, we still got there a bit later than we should and we arrived just as they were boarding. But at least we did not have to wait at all. We had a couple sitting next to us on the plane that had the wrong gate and had to run across the airport. We joked they just had a Home Alone moment! We chatted with them for an hour about Disney and it was a nice way to pass the time. Apparently though our excitement was too much as one of the airline attendants asked us to lower our voices as people a few rows back could hear us.

We landed around 8 AM and hopped on the Magical Express, when it eventually came for our resort. We were staying at the Art of Animation and I loved the colors and sketches all around. Our room was not ready, but we were able to drop off a carry on bag and magic band for other family members in our room (they had their first day at Universal Studios).

We headed to Hollywood Studios and I was surprised that it was just around the corner!

Despite Christmas music and decorations, I constantly had to remind myself it was the holiday season! As soon as I was in that weather, I felt it was the summertime. We walked into some shops and started our trip. We stayed around the main area because DH was hungry for a snack and the Hollywood Citizens were expected to make their first appearance. We were hoping to see Betty Shambles again, but she’s either been cut or had the day off. The crew they had were entertaining and were putting on a Christmas musical number in hopes that Bing Crosby would call asking them to be on his special.

Eventually we headed to One Man’s Dream to get in the Moana queue. There was not much of a line, but it took awhile and I expected she was really interacting with the guests. Although she came up with a topic to discuss, as soon as we got our picture taken, she wrapped it up. I guess that’s what happens sometimes when you don’t have a child with you.

We decided now was good as any to get in the stand by line for Rockin’ Rollercoaster. It was about a 30-50 minute and we did not feel like waiting that long. As I saw guests breezing through the single rider line, I asked DH if he wanted to do that option since we’ve done the ride together before. That quickened up the wait. We both agreed it’s a blast to do, but getting older, it’s now not going to be a must if when we return.

I was waiting on a friend of mine who now works at Disney who was in HS for her lunch. We walked around the park looking for a spot for lunch. My friend eventually got to the park and after a little hide and seek, we were able to locate her and say a quick hello. We decided to do Tower of Terror FP before lunch so we didn’t lose our food on the ride!

It’s another ride we enjoyed, but it doesn’t have to be a necessity in the future.

We bumped into Dorma Nesmond and Paige Turner, who encouraged guests to ask them a question. DH, being a trooper, participated. He asked what he should ask for Christmas. Norma said, “A Ferrari. You can ask for it, but you’re never going to get it. Because you’ve been NAUGHTY! I can tell!” DH shaked his head yes. Then chimed in, “And I’m going to Sea World tomorrow…” DH then bluntly asked, “Oh, are you Shamu?” Meaning does she consider herself a star attraction. Norma said, “Are you calling me old or fat. DON’T TALK! I am NOT fat, I am undertall!” The other character suggested he ask for world peace and DH chimed in, “That will never happen!” Then it got into politics and they began to wrap up!

Dorma Nesmond

Paige Turner

Last edited:

WRAPPING UP IN HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

We settled on eating at Pizzarizzo. I enjoyed the details of the interior and was looking forward to the changes…of the desserts. I hear people say all the time Disney does not have great pizza. When I ate at Pizza Planet, I did not think it was that bad. However, this time I noticed what others were talking about. It was sort of like a cardboard crust. Well, we enjoyed the desserts!
Updated Exterior

We walked around a little and had to head over to Characterpalooza. Apparently we came around the time HS was changing to location of the secret meet and greet. Either that or the chance of rain, which came later, but it did not happen. A bit of a letdown since I adored it last trip, but it made me appreciate the experience in the past. By this time we weren’t going to make it to our second, throwaway, FP to Star Tours. However, we were able to switch it to another park so we got a sunset time for the safari at Animal Kingdom.

We went to our final FP at TSM. I always enjoy this ride over Buzz Lightyear and this trip I seemed to do better than last! However, I am still not the greatest at the game.

Do they always have the Christmas lights up?
T

After this attraction, I got a text from my stepsister having issues with her magic band. I knew this was coming. Anyway, we went into Frozen Ever Sing-a-long so I just ended up contacted our TA to help her through the process. This show was hysterical thanks to the narrators. They played off each over and improvised with ease. When it began snowing, it was a magical experience.

Anna Looks a Little Uneasy...

He was hilarious!

Invading Anna's Personal Bubble

I think this is the original "friend" of Kristoff!

Elsa's Icy Entrance!

Sisterly Love

"Do the Magic!"

Finale!

Pardon the Snow Piece by Elsa's Face..

It's a wrap for Hollywood Studios. AND CUT!

Last edited:
We called it a day at Hollywood Studios and headed over to Animal Kingdom.

Oh Christmas Tree!​

It was around 5 PM and most people were leaving the park, which played to our advantage.

Hello Tree of Life.

We hopped on the safari bus around 5:15 so the sun was setting during our tour. We were also able to see some of their night animals, like the hyenas. I feel like we saw more animals on the ride than in the morning a couple days later.

"When the sun sets on the third day.."​

We also saw the lions active!

"Pardon me, sir! How rude!"​

We headed over to Asia and notice Kali River Rapid was closed down. We went to Expedition Everest right around twilight. We rode it a second time when it was finally dark. Riding it at night gives the ride an extra thrill. It also makes the yeti at the end stand out in the darkness and adds a scary factor to the attraction.

Good evening, Expedition Everest!​

"And at last I see the light!"​

We pretty much skipped dinosaur land and looked in the gift shops, as well as caught the Tree of Life awaken.

Now it's time to say goodbye and head to O'Hana!

Last edited:
At this point I was glad we were able to push up our ‘Ohana reservation to 7:50 PM from 9:20 PM. We were obviously getting tired from a long day and DH had a headache from EE.

Welcome to the Polynesian Resort!

We waited about an hour in the Polynesian Resort and I explored the outside area a bit. When we were seated, we weren’t by the back window, but from my seat, I was looking straight on to the castle glimmering in the distance. It was a very relaxing experience. Looking at the menu, I thought the entrée was the skewers of meat so I’d only get that and a dessert on the meal plan. I had no idea it was an all you can eat buffet they bring to your table and the appetizers were included. The pineapple and coconut bread was amazing and so was the bread pudding dessert! We think this is definitely one of the best Disney restaurants .

After walking by Magic Kingdom to get on a bus back to our resort, I reluctantly went back to AoA. I really wanted to do a quick walk through of MK, but we did a lot and it was really busy. We had to get up early anyway for EMH at Epcot the following day!

I woke up early because it’s Disney and why bother sleep? I spent an hour uploading photos on the computer. DH took his time, which got us on the bus later than I wanted. However, we got to the front of the line, off to right side where Daisy meets, at 7:45 AM. Around 7:50 AM they dropped the rope and we sped walked to Norway. Now we switched roles and I was the one chasing after DH! When we got there, a cast member supervisor asked if we had breakfast reservations. We said we were waiting to go on Frozen Ever After. He was surprised they dropped the rope so early and we had to wait until 8 AM. However, we were the first in line!

Hi Olaf & Sven!

The ride was really cute and visually stunning. Would I wait over an hour in line for it? No! But that’s why we had a strategy. We meant to book it over to Soarin’, but I saw the line for Anna and Elsa was only 10 minutes. I wanted to record messages from them for my niece who couldn’t make the trip. However, it was more of a 45 minute wait. The queue was really nice and I enjoyed all the details in their summer house. Both Elsa and Anna were very nice and chatting and didn’t rush us.

While waiting in the queue...

A nod to Maelstrom

Only got a non photopass photo with Elsa...

By this time it was the start to for our Test Track FP so we did that first. After that we headed over to Soarin’ and only waited about 10 minutes. We enjoyed the new views, but I did miss the orange scent. When Soarin’ was done, it was almost time for our breakfast at Cape May Café. We met up with my older sister at the front of EP, and walked over to the Beach Club Resort....

When we met my sister and her boyfriend at the entrance, we were under the impression my stepsister was on a later bus and our whole party wouldn't be there in time. However, everyone in our party was already there so we were able to be seated! The buffet was basic, but it was food itmes that I enjoyed so I had no issues with it. It wasn’t long until all three characters made their way to us and we even had a cast member ask later on if we saw everyone. I enjoyed the unique attire on Goofy, Donald, and Minnie.

Donald's Waiting!

Minnie's Turn

Surfs Up, Goofy!

I later found out when they called for all kids to come surf with the gang, my niece was reluctant to do so and said they were "baby characters". At that point any romantic notion of experiencing my niece meeting the characters went out the window. Just focus on the adult aspect of the trip, haha.

First family meal went off without a hitch!

Most of my family headed back to the hotel to go swimming. They also had future plans at MK. The FP I set up for them right after brunch where going to go to waste. At this point, I didn’t care and they seemed to get the hang of adjusting them on their own. However, DH was stressing out because you just don’t do that! ;-)

So it was me, DH, my sister and her boyfriend spending an adult afternoon around Epcot World Showcase. We started off in France and explored the shops. DH is all about the films at the selected countries, but after seeing them last time, I didn’t feel a need for a repeat. We skipped this one due to the film start time not being immediate.

We spotted Pere Noel!

We headed over to Morocco and I was excited to go in the shops with my sister as when I was in them last trip, I wish she was there with me. My sister was smart and kept a tab of what gift items she liked at each country and after dinner she would make her decision. Whatever was not there was just not meant to be (we discovered this with bunny tea cups in Japan).

We had a nice time here and even took a little time to sit in the alley way as my sister’s boyfriend got some Turkish coffee. My sister was disappointed the countries didn’t have CDs with inspired music as she would have liked to have bought one from Morocco.

Kon'nichiwa, Japan!

We browsed through Japan’s shops and headed over to Italy to see one of the holiday storytellers, La Befana. She was so animated and an excellent storyteller. We heard someone say hello next to us, so we responded back, and then she asked a courtesy question and we had no idea where this voice was coming from. It was from the speaker and La Befana was behind us ready to appear for her show.

"Who comes to see you on Christmas Eve?"

"When do I come to see you?"

Decorations Around Italy

A Quick Stroll Around Germany...

UP NEXT: Do the Norwegian Storytellers live up to La Befana?

Sorry for those who were actually following. I'll try to update in the near future.

Will I ever complete this review? I am not sure. I actually had most of it completed and saved in a word document. All I had to do was upload photos to flickr. But now I have lost the word document and it's been over a year and a half since I have visited. However, I will try my best and post some more, without photos -- but adding them later on. So back to Disney we go!

So our crew waited for the Norwegian Storytellers. To be honest, we did not know where they would be performing. We saw a show time board and assumed they would meet there so we sat down. However, we noticed after showtime, they were not coming to this area. We eventually found them. I have to admit, we did not stay there too long. I have heard good things about these storytellers, but they really didn't peak any of our interests. We definitely preferred La Befana. So we headed to Mexico and went into the temple to browse shop. We had spent the whole day in Epcot and had separate dinner reservations than my sister and our boyfriend. At this point, we did not want to wait later for ours and decided we would just go to Restaurant Marrakesh with them. I had some confusion with cancelling our reservation at one of the Mexican restaurants and getting a new one at Restaurant Marrakesh. I do not think ever ended up working, but when we went there, we told them the situation and they were fine with adding two more people to my sister's reservation. At this point we ate the money for the cancellation fee because we preferred to spend time with my family and perhaps leave the park earlier than we had anticipated.

DH and I have been to Restaurant Marrakesh on our last trip to Disney. We enjoy the atmosphere of the restaurant. I cannot remember what dish I got, but it was pretty good and we all had a good time. By the time we left the restaurant, it was dark. It was still hard to get use to how early the night came in the winter time while in the parks. We did some shopping in the countries and I took some outside photos. We explored England and Canada before we headed back to the front of the park. We headed back to the hotel and walked around the resort and checked out all the pools.

UP NEXT: Disney's Animal Kingdom and Mickey's Merriest Celebration

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter