Christmas Parade taping

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by ShelleyRN, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ShelleyRN

ShelleyRN Earning My Ears

Does anyone know any information about when the Christmas parade will be taped. We are going Dec 5-14 and someone told me there was a possibility that it would be taped the first weekend in December. Has anyone been there when it was taped? How were the crowds and is it worth waiting for. We have an ADR for 8:05 at CP that morning so it is possible that we could get really a good viewing spot. Any information would be helpful.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Robo

Robo 1971 Castle in the Hub: Your lights are on!

Dates are Fri. and Sat., Dec. 5th and 6th, with Sun. the 7th held as a back-up day.

The "participating crowd" along Main Street watching the show is actually made up of an invited guest cast, chosen in advance by the production company.

The full parade is not actually run during the taping.
    Just short scenes of it are performed, over-and-over, as the cameras capture different angles on the various "takes."

4. disneyag

disneyag DIS Veteran

There's another great post about this. It's VERY CROWDED that day. We did it last year and will NEVER go to the MK on that day again.

5. nhl66pens

nhl66pens DIS Veteran

Is it totally packed or just around Main St? Is there a way to bypass the parade by taking the train around to Frontierland? We arrive the morning of the 6th and I know my daughter will want to see the MK first. I'm just trying to find out if there is any way. I doubt we would be getting there until after 12:30 PM.

Thanks.

6. Stacy's a freak

Stacy's a freak wrangles snakes

Just Main Street is very crowded so you could hop on the train and head to the other side of the park. However, Saturday is a pretty busy day in MK in general so combine that with the fact that once the taping ends, the crowds on Main Street are likely to spill into the rest of the park. Also keep in mind that the usual Saturday crowds will be unable to hang out in Main Street which will make the rest of the park busier than usual.

If you have hoppers, you may want to spend as much time as you can stand in MK and then hop to another park. If you don't have hoppers, you may want to rethink your plan.

Good luck!

7. nhl66pens

nhl66pens DIS Veteran

We do have hoppers and a 7 PM ressie at Teppan Edo. I just know she wanted to go to MK right away. Thanks for the info, I'll keep thinking about it and reading everyone's posts.:santa:

8. PrincessTiffany

PrincessTiffany Is there anything better than Free Dining and Fast

This is the link to another thread about Christmas Parade taping day:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1971777

We were in MK on Christmas Parade taping day in 2005 and I won't ever do it again. It was very crazy and we ended up hopping to Epcot that day.

9. MickeyNicki

MickeyNicki It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out a

All I can say is stay the heck away from MK on the Sat that is parade taping. DH and I were there the first weekend in Dec 06 and we stayed at the WL. On the Sat morning that was the taping we had 8am ressies at Kona so we hopped a bus to MK and were walking to the monoral....there were a sea of red shirt, Santa hat people all over the place at 7am in the morning...it was insane...it was a mass of people and we could not get from the bus area to the monorail except at a snail pace.

People were pouring off the buses, the boats, the ferrys and the monorail...it was insanity. We made it to Kona at 8am...it took one hour to get through that madness, they were not letting people in the park yet so everyone was jammed together and backed up all over.

When we were done with Kona, around 9am, we were back on the monorail and there were still people all over the place in front of MK and the Transportation Center. On the flip side Epcot was a ghost town that day, felt like we had the entire place to ourselves.

10. danielle.st

danielle.st DIS Veteran

We are in the same boat :)
    I knew I had read ages ago that the parage taping was that weekend, but my TA insisted there was nothing going on that weekend as she called Disney Reservations and they told her there were no special events on Saturday (I was there when she called, so that part I believe).
    Anyway, I already told my kids that it will be crazy in MK that day and we can go to any of the 3 other parks. I don't care which one. They were actually ok with that when they understood that if we went to MK we wouldn't be able to do anything fun anyway. Right now they are torn between Epcot for Soarin' and AK to see the afternoon parade (probably will be our only chance to see AKs parade all week).

11. eeyoresnr

eeyoresnr DIS Veteran

when does the "invited list" go out?

12. ktpoteet

ktpoteet Dec. 9 Anniversary at WDW!

I was wondering the same thing. My DH and I will be arriving on Dec. 6 around lunch time. We were planning on spending the remainder of the day at MK. Is this a bad idea? If the crowd from the parade will be bad then maybe we should go to another park? Thanks!!!

13. Cinderumbrella

Cinderumbrella Wench

We were at MK for parade taping evening in 2006. We left after 2 hours since it was such a madhouse. Tomorrowland was wall to wall people.

We arrive this year late on 12/5 and aren't going to the parks until 12/7.