Christmas in a hotel - help!!!!

Hi!

My family and I spent the whole of december in the states in 2010. I too am a huge Christmas lover decorating the inside of our house complete with a Disney decorated home made fire place, a snowman grotto and a Disney tree!
I told my DH just because we were thousands of miles from home didn't mean I wasn't going to put up a Christmas tree! So I took myself off to KMart and returned with a tree, lights and some decorations to hang on the tree and to place around our room. I also bought wrapping paper etc and had some gifts that I had purchased while we were there, wrapped them and popped them under the tree! My Mum had even sent us a card and we got in delivered to our room on Christmas day which was a nice surprise!

Here is the link to a picture! ( Post 199 )

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2661251&page=14

The lights were some of the brightest I have ever seen so I did bring them back home with us! We actually had them draped around the curtain rod in the hotel and they looked great in the window! The tree on the other hand, I donated to the Ho Jo who thought it was just great!

As for gifts for a 14 year old, I am not too sure if your DD is a jewellery lover, but something of that nature is very light and easy to hide and there are so many gorgeous bits and pieces out these days. Maybe a necklace or a Pandora bracelet that she could collect charms for as they have plenty to choose from. I am sure there would even be NY charms and there are also Disney charms but Chamila brand have the licence for them but they do fit Pandora as I have a Minnie one on my bracelet.

Sounds like the DS is easy to please and I am sure a letter from Santa will be a real treat for him! Special for you too:goodvibes
You could also do a mail order shop and have your parcels waiting for you when you arrive. That way you won't have to hide anything in the room or bring it all the way from Australia! Plus, you could probably have some of it gift wrapped!!!

Any which way you look at it though, you will be with your family in New York City.................what could be more Christmassy than that!!!::yes::

Minnie Sue Oz - thank you so much for sharing that picture of your Christmas tree. It looks great and I couldn't believe all of the presents under the tree, especially the size of some of those puppies, wow. I have no idea how you got it all home :goodvibes.

I was thinking jewellery for my daughter, just a few things but she isn't big on wearing it so I wouldn't go overboard. She would likely be happy with gift cards so she can shop up a storm. I thought maybe some sports wear, like Nike Addidas etc. She's a dancer and they like nice stuff like that. There is a massive dance store in NYC that I could perhaps get her some things at as well. But mostly I'd say she'd be wanting clothes. She also loves stationery so I should be good there.

Lights - I was thinking about something along these lines too so it's good to hear you did it and it looked great. I thought of draping them over the curtain rail as well so now I feel even better about that idea. Thank you.

Shuttergirl...

Picture my friend sent me...apparently $25. About 2 1/2 ft tall. She asked what size were you looking for. Is this what you're kinda looking for? If so, then she can probably suggest somewhere.

images

She also mentioned the Dollar Stores.

That tree is adorable. So kind of your friend and yourself to help me with this. I'd love to hear where she thinks I could find something like this. I will definitely have decorations to put on a tree as I will be shopping up a storm in WDW. I'd also love to know where the Dollar stores are near Times Square if you friend wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks again PIO for your amazing help.

We left 9 Dec last year. I took the girls stockings with us and did everything else while we were away. Some of the things that the girls wanted I kept for Santa.

Once we got to our Christmas hotel I went and got a little pre lit tree at TArget we also gave everyone $20 person to buy each member of the family a gift which we wrapped and kept under the tree. We also had a Christmas suitcase to hide things in which the kids were oblivious too. When DH would take kids to the pool, or to get a snack he would give me 30 mins to wrap. I took scissors and tape with me in the case and grabbed paper over there. On Christmas Eve everything was ready in the case which meant a very quick dump of gifts right under DDs nose.

We did Pandoras for the girls and got charms that reflected travels which will also be good for Europe. Pandora now have a travel set Ny, London, Paris. Much cheaper in States. We also grabbed nail polishes, hair stuff as fillers. We also explained that Santa may leave things at home. We left nerd water guns wrappedon the end of their beds which they loved when we got home. d H put it there while we waited in the car to go while he did a last minute check.

It killed me not to put up our tree and decorations, but took th attitude that the Christmas season started with our trip and being in the US certainly got us into the spirit.

We too are going to be away on Christmas Day. Our DD's are 10 and 7 and very much believers!
Over the last couple of months, whenever Christmas comes up, we've been having some great chats about Santa's gifts.

Our 10 year old thought it would be a really good idea to write to Santa next month and let him know that we are going to America and that they don't need lots of presents because they are already being spoilt, but could they perhaps please have one small gift each. She wants a watch and her sister wants a camera. Easy! (Of course we will buy some things to add)

They've also decided that we don't need to give them a gift because their gift is the trip! (Don't they sound like angels :rotfl2: ...I wish)
However, we have bought them and their Gran (and us!) tickets to 'The Lion King' which is showing while we are in San Francisco as a surprise. We are going on Dec 23rd so will surprise them by arriving at the theatre and giving them the tickets. Big surprise for Gran too :thumbsup2

We are very much about Christmas traditions too, but to be honest, the girls are much more excited about the whole trip than they are about Christmas. We leave on Dec 20th but won't be putting up a tree at home. I HAVE to have a real one, so it's not practical to have one. I'm going to buy a little fake one for our hotel room, along with some little decorations. We're just going to take in the whole San Francisco Christmas thing.

As for Christmas lunch....hmmmm, depending on the weather, it could be a picnic in Golden Gate Park...not sure yet. The girls' think it would be great to have McD's for Christmas. I DON'T think we'll resort to that :upsidedow

We left 9 Dec last year. I took the girls stockings with us and did everything else while we were away. Some of the things that the girls wanted I kept for Santa.

Once we got to our Christmas hotel I went and got a little pre lit tree at TArget we also gave everyone $20 person to buy each member of the family a gift which we wrapped and kept under the tree. We also had a Christmas suitcase to hide things in which the kids were oblivious too. When DH would take kids to the pool, or to get a snack he would give me 30 mins to wrap. I took scissors and tape with me in the case and grabbed paper over there. On Christmas Eve everything was ready in the case which meant a very quick dump of gifts right under DDs nose.

We did Pandoras for the girls and got charms that reflected travels which will also be good for Europe. Pandora now have a travel set Ny, London, Paris. Much cheaper in States. We also grabbed nail polishes, hair stuff as fillers. We also explained that Santa may leave things at home. We left nerd water guns wrappedon the end of their beds which they loved when we got home. d H put it there while we waited in the car to go while he did a last minute check.

It killed me not to put up our tree and decorations, but took th attitude that the Christmas season started with our trip and being in the US certainly got us into the spirit.

I love the idea of the Christmas suitcase. That should be fairly doable. I'm planning on buying some of the gifts here. I don't want to be stressed out on the trip trying to find gifts. Of course I'm sure we will pick up more along the way but I want to have the bones of the presents already so I can relax.

I like the idea of the Pandora with the travel set. That sounds really sweet. And if you say Pandora is cheaper in the US then I'll wait to check that out when we get there.

I thought I would get my DS a lego gift card. There's a big lego store in NYC and the great thing about Lego is if you collapse the boxes and put them in the bottom of the suitcase, the actual Lego doesn't take up much room and is light.

Like the idea of the nail polish etc. fillers for the stockings.

We too are going to be away on Christmas Day. Our DD's are 10 and 7 and very much believers!
Over the last couple of months, whenever Christmas comes up, we've been having some great chats about Santa's gifts.

Our 10 year old thought it would be a really good idea to write to Santa next month and let him know that we are going to America and that they don't need lots of presents because they are already being spoilt, but could they perhaps please have one small gift each. She wants a watch and her sister wants a camera. Easy! (Of course we will buy some things to add)

They've also decided that we don't need to give them a gift because their gift is the trip! (Don't they sound like angels :rotfl2: ...I wish)
However, we have bought them and their Gran (and us!) tickets to 'The Lion King' which is showing while we are in San Francisco as a surprise. We are going on Dec 23rd so will surprise them by arriving at the theatre and giving them the tickets. Big surprise for Gran too :thumbsup2

We are very much about Christmas traditions too, but to be honest, the girls are much more excited about the whole trip than they are about Christmas. We leave on Dec 20th but won't be putting up a tree at home. I HAVE to have a real one, so it's not practical to have one. I'm going to buy a little fake one for our hotel room, along with some little decorations. We're just going to take in the whole San Francisco Christmas thing.

As for Christmas lunch....hmmmm, depending on the weather, it could be a picnic in Golden Gate Park...not sure yet. The girls' think it would be great to have McD's for Christmas. I DON'T think we'll resort to that :upsidedow

You're children sound angelic. I doubt mine will say the trip is gift enough :rotfl2:. With that said, we plan on sitting down with them in the next few weeks to discuss some logistics of the trip and I'm sure they will be onboard with gift cards etc. from Mum and Dad.

Your Lion King Tickets sound like a wonderful gift, I'm sure everyone will be so excited.

I really like your idea about using Disney pillow cases - they will hold special memories for years about Christmas in the USA.

I once saw on a parenting blog, a Christmas tree drawn on brown paper and stuck up on the wall (it was to stop inquisitive babies pulling at the tree and decorations). This would be doable in a hotel, your family could all draw their favourite decorations from home.

When we were in the US over Easter, room service had left a note for my DD, telling her if she could find the hidden egg there would be a surprise waiting for her. The egg was like a kinder surprise plastic egg, inside was a printed token for her to go and pick up a gift from the bell service. It kept her amused for a little while trying to find the egg.

as you know i don't have kids, but have an overactive imagination and we are big kids at heart, so these are just some thoughts we had :)

1. make an on the trip advent calendar so that they can keep track of the time until christmas. having an advent calendar at home is one of the ways we like to keep anticipation building and keeping the excitement of christmas alive. maybe you could premake it before you leave, just with some cardboard/paper etc and each day on the advent calendar includes a voucher: redeem this voucher for one christmas snack today, redeem this voucher for one decoration that symbolises where we are on the trip (ie, i heart nyc deco for the nyc leg of your trip etc.

2. talk to your kids about their xmas expectations before you go. i think this will help alleviate some of the concern around what to do and how much christmassy things they will expect.

3. have a secret plan for a christmas outing they will only ever experience on this trip and make it a surprise, ie making a snowman in central park, a carriage ride through central park drinking hot chocolate from ghiradellis and eating christmas cookies from someplace special while it snows etc, the ice skating rink in rockefeller plaza where you can recreate the scene from 'home alone 2'

4. watch movies that feature christmas away from home ie home alone 2 to show them that being elsewhere at christmas time can still be fun

5. maybe have them search for christmas decorations for your hotel room tree that celebrate the locations on your trip, ie wdw, nyc etc. then you can bring them home as souvenirs and remember your christmas trip for years to come when you decorate your at home tree with them

6. if they will miss out on spending christmas with extended family, maybe have extended family write them notes or christmas cards ahead of time and deliver them on christmas morning as well, so that they have messages from loved ones/friends.

7. if you are religious, or even just want to see what a traditional christmas mass or service is like, visit one of NYC's large cathedrals at christmas time for the pomp and ceremony. i have heard they are truly beautiful.

8. if you like christmas decorations, maybe see if you can find a decorative rug or table runner or linen napkins to use in your hotel room that you can then bring back home to use in your ongoing traditional celebrations in the years to come.

9. if you are in nyc at christmas, take your kids on the holiday lights tour. lots of places in nyc/brooklyn change their building's lights to holiday themes or colours and this can be a really lovely experience.

... that's it for me for now. hope that some of these ideas might be helpful :)

good luck with your planning :)

Shuttergirl, there have been some wonderful suggestions for you on this thread!

I think that the spirit of Christmas will be all around you this year, even if you don't have all the usual things with you, because you are making such an amazing new Christmas memory for your children :goodvibes

My only worry is that they will have such an amazing Christmas this year that they will expect you to do it for them every year!! :rotfl:

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

At work now so had time to think some more:

DD2 was very worried Santa wouldn't find us so wrote him a letter in Macy's

IMG_0061_zpsa245949c.jpg

And we visited him in Disneyland and he picked her accent straight away and said of course I know you are here. Very reassuring. Could have paid him a fortune.
IMG_0266_zpscce8ee51.jpg

She was so relieved when he found us.

P1110086.jpg

I also ordered from room service milk and cookies for Santa and hot chocolate and cookies for the girls before bedtime. That was also nice and normal.

We also had the lego solution and did just that. Took some big zip lock bags to make sure all was kept together as was meant to be. We came home with about 5 different Harry Potter sets and a Star Wars set.

IMG_0063_zps8538b1be.jpg

Christmas Day we had a normal breakfast, had sherbert and choc chip cookies and chilli for lunch and found a more traditional meal for dinner. Many of the hotels offer a Christmas Day meal. This brought the formal part of the day. It was so nice not to be peeling potatos or stuck in the kitchen. Told DH we should do this every year:lmao:

From memory I paid about 40USD for double leather pandora's one pink and one purple at the Pandora shop in Honolulu. I got turtles and dolphins as they had swum with them in Hawaii, a plane, and found a non Pandora bead for Disney. We have been adding the Europe one's for special occasions such as birthdays. DD1 now has Eiffel Tower and DD2 Big Ben.

The Christmas case worked well because we also kept track of what space we had. It was just remembering which one it was and not having the kids peak inside. DH told them it was the dirty washing.

I really like your idea about using Disney pillow cases - they will hold special memories for years about Christmas in the USA.

I once saw on a parenting blog, a Christmas tree drawn on brown paper and stuck up on the wall (it was to stop inquisitive babies pulling at the tree and decorations). This would be doable in a hotel, your family could all draw their favourite decorations from home.

When we were in the US over Easter, room service had left a note for my DD, telling her if she could find the hidden egg there would be a surprise waiting for her. The egg was like a kinder surprise plastic egg, inside was a printed token for her to go and pick up a gift from the bell service. It kept her amused for a little while trying to find the egg.

I think I've seen something like you have suggested with the tree drawn on brown paper. I've actually found a few craft ideas that would be fairly easy to make on the spot. I'll share them later.

That was cute what housekeeping did for your daughter for Easter. I love that.

as you know i don't have kids, but have an overactive imagination and we are big kids at heart, so these are just some thoughts we had :)

1. make an on the trip advent calendar so that they can keep track of the time until christmas. having an advent calendar at home is one of the ways we like to keep anticipation building and keeping the excitement of christmas alive. maybe you could premake it before you leave, just with some cardboard/paper etc and each day on the advent calendar includes a voucher: redeem this voucher for one christmas snack today, redeem this voucher for one decoration that symbolises where we are on the trip (ie, i heart nyc deco for the nyc leg of your trip etc.

2. talk to your kids about their xmas expectations before you go. i think this will help alleviate some of the concern around what to do and how much christmassy things they will expect.

3. have a secret plan for a christmas outing they will only ever experience on this trip and make it a surprise, ie making a snowman in central park, a carriage ride through central park drinking hot chocolate from ghiradellis and eating christmas cookies from someplace special while it snows etc, the ice skating rink in rockefeller plaza where you can recreate the scene from 'home alone 2'

4. watch movies that feature christmas away from home ie home alone 2 to show them that being elsewhere at christmas time can still be fun

5. maybe have them search for christmas decorations for your hotel room tree that celebrate the locations on your trip, ie wdw, nyc etc. then you can bring them home as souvenirs and remember your christmas trip for years to come when you decorate your at home tree with them

6. if they will miss out on spending christmas with extended family, maybe have extended family write them notes or christmas cards ahead of time and deliver them on christmas morning as well, so that they have messages from loved ones/friends.

7. if you are religious, or even just want to see what a traditional christmas mass or service is like, visit one of NYC's large cathedrals at christmas time for the pomp and ceremony. i have heard they are truly beautiful.

8. if you like christmas decorations, maybe see if you can find a decorative rug or table runner or linen napkins to use in your hotel room that you can then bring back home to use in your ongoing traditional celebrations in the years to come.

9. if you are in nyc at christmas, take your kids on the holiday lights tour. lots of places in nyc/brooklyn change their building's lights to holiday themes or colours and this can be a really lovely experience.

... that's it for me for now. hope that some of these ideas might be helpful :)

good luck with your planning :)

So many wonderful suggestions here Alicia. We have 2 beautiful handmade quilt Advent Calendars that the kids love doing each morning. I was thinking about what I could do in the hotel room and found this:-

194780752603329551_lOuEv9LG_c.jpg
. And if I have some small Christmas lolly/treats to give them like they get at home I think they will enjoy that.

I like the idea of talking to the kids about their Christmas season expectations. Perhaps they have some ideas of their own about how we can create some new traditions.

We have lots of Christmas activities already planned for the trip that they know about. I have gotten Grinch Whole Stole Christmas tickets to Madison Square Garden that they don't know about yet and that performance is on Christmas eve afternoon. We are definitely wanting to do a carriage ride through Central Park again as well. I'd love to do it Christmas morning but am worried that they might not run that day so perhaps will do Christmas Eve morning instead.

We absolutely have to take some Christmas movies away with us. I was thinking about loading them onto an external hard drive. Do you think that is something you could plug into a flat screen TV to watch or would we need to watch on the laptop?

Each year they get a new decoration each and I'm sure they will be wanting to get something at WDW. I always buy something in each new city we visit when overseas to hang on the tree as well. I'm sure they will enjoy helping me find some.

Again, thanks for all of the ideas.

Shuttergirl, there have been some wonderful suggestions for you on this thread!

I think that the spirit of Christmas will be all around you this year, even if you don't have all the usual things with you, because you are making such an amazing new Christmas memory for your children :goodvibes

My only worry is that they will have such an amazing Christmas this year that they will expect you to do it for them every year!! :rotfl:

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Andona, I think you are right, there will be so much Christmas spirit surrounding us, it will be Christmas overload :rotfl:.

And I wouldn't mind being overseas for every Christmas. Now that's a tradition I might have to suggest to my husband :rotfl:

I don't actually have anything useful to add as everyone else's suggestions have been so wonderful!

Ms Shuttergirl, whatever you decide to do or not to do, it will be special because you're there as a family and its Christmas! So try not to stress too much about it (easier said than done I know), things will fall into place somehow. This is just my 2 cents, but if you can, keep it simple. So it will all be about the experience of a special day in a special place rather than about material goods that is being received. Knowing you, "simple" will be quite phenomenal anyway!

aww - that looks just beautiful !!

However I had come on here to tell a story.

My kids often talk about a boy they went to primary school with who still believed in Santa in Year 6 - now I dont think he was bullied directly, but there was certainly a lot of s******ing and disbelief behind his back. Otherwise he was probably more mature than the other boys, always wanted the teenage fashion etc when he was very young.

It still comes up in conversations 4 years later "remember when xxxxx believed in Santa in Year 6 bahahahha"

Sad - I know, but be careful, might be the time to ease him into it, maybe Santa only leaves big presents for under 10s or something like that. Christmas magic is certainly about more than Santa.

Please dont flame me - just telling it as I thought it was sort of cruel for his mother to do that to him.

At work now so had time to think some more:

DD2 was very worried Santa wouldn't find us so wrote him a letter in Macy's

And we visited him in Disneyland and he picked her accent straight away and said of course I know you are here. Very reassuring. Could have paid him a fortune.
She was so relieved when he found us.

I also ordered from room service milk and cookies for Santa and hot chocolate and cookies for the girls before bedtime. That was also nice and normal.

We also had the lego solution and did just that. Took some big zip lock bags to make sure all was kept together as was meant to be. We came home with about 5 different Harry Potter sets and a Star Wars set.

Christmas Day we had a normal breakfast, had sherbert and choc chip cookies and chilli for lunch and found a more traditional meal for dinner. Many of the hotels offer a Christmas Day meal. This brought the formal part of the day. It was so nice not to be peeling potatos or stuck in the kitchen. Told DH we should do this every year:lmao:

From memory I paid about 40USD for double leather pandora's one pink and one purple at the Pandora shop in Honolulu. I got turtles and dolphins as they had swum with them in Hawaii, a plane, and found a non Pandora bead for Disney. We have been adding the Europe one's for special occasions such as birthdays. DD1 now has Eiffel Tower and DD2 Big Ben.

The Christmas case worked well because we also kept track of what space we had. It was just remembering which one it was and not having the kids peak inside. DH told them it was the dirty washing.

What an awesome Santa at Disneyland. No one does it like Disney I tell ya ::yes::.

Our Christmas day is lunch at The Rock Cafe overlooking the iceskaters at Rockefeller Centre and then Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular. I'm also thinking if we feel like it and are up early we might go to Ellen's Stardust Diner for breakfast, I think that would be fun.

I'm not so worried about Christmas day activities so much, I think we've got lots of good things planned. It's more just those "from home" traditions that I would like to incorporate where I can.

We will definitely do the milk and cookies for Santa, I love that. We always give the kids Christmas jammies so that will still happen.

I don't actually have anything useful to add as everyone else's suggestions have been so wonderful!

Ms Shuttergirl, whatever you decide to do or not to do, it will be special because you're there as a family and its Christmas! So try not to stress too much about it (easier said than done I know), things will fall into place somehow. This is just my 2 cents, but if you can, keep it simple. So it will all be about the experience of a special day in a special place rather than about material goods that is being received. Knowing you, "simple" will be quite phenomenal anyway!

Thanks Shushh.

aww - that looks just beautiful !!

However I had come on here to tell a story.

My kids often talk about a boy they went to primary school with who still believed in Santa in Year 6 - now I dont think he was bullied directly, but there was certainly a lot of s******ing and disbelief behind his back. Otherwise he was probably more mature than the other boys, always wanted the teenage fashion etc when he was very young.

It still comes up in conversations 4 years later "remember when xxxxx believed in Santa in Year 6 bahahahha"

Sad - I know, but be careful, might be the time to ease him into it, maybe Santa only leaves big presents for under 10s or something like that. Christmas magic is certainly about more than Santa.

Please dont flame me - just telling it as I thought it was sort of cruel for his mother to do that to him.

This is something I think about from time to time too Battymum. He's only in year 4 and has only just turned 10. I'm sure he will be a wake up very soon but until then, I'll enjoy it while I can. :)

I found this - thought if I tweaked it a little in terms of the wording that the kids would think this was fun. I could wrap up $1 notes:-

127930445634622296_UxaVDSGM_c.jpg

Thought this was cute too for DD. I love Christmas craft:-

226446687483392670_uwO7zHmt_c.jpg

I've found some Christmas word searches and stuff like that too. If I give DS a little activity to do on days when we have some down time, along with watching some movies, playing some Christmas carols on ipods, reading some of the stories and poems with a few simple decorations in the room - I'm sure that coupled with all of the Christmas amazingness we encounter in the US that we will have the most amazing time.

Thank you

I truly can't thank you enough for all of your help on this. Just reading others suggestions and experiences really got my mind into gear and I'm feeling much more comfortable with everything which I think was what my post was all about in the first place :rotfl:. I thought it was about the children and their expectations but in the end I realised it's probably my own comfort and expectations I was trying to satisfy. ::yes::

I've found some Christmas word searches and stuff like that too. If I give DS a little activity to do on days when we have some down time, along with watching some movies, playing some Christmas carols on ipods, reading some of the stories and poems with a few simple decorations in the room - I'm sure that coupled with all of the Christmas amazingness we encounter in the US that we will have the most amazing time.

I truly can't thank you enough for all of your help on this. Just reading others suggestions and experiences really got my mind into gear and I'm feeling much more comfortable with everything which I think what my post was all about in the first place :rotfl:. I thought it was about the children and their expectations but in the end I realised it's probably my own comfort and expectations I was trying to satisfy. ::yes::

:thumbsup2

What an awesome Santa at Disneyland. No one does it like Disney I tell ya ::yes::.

Our Christmas day is lunch at The Rock Cafe overlooking the iceskaters at Rockefeller Centre and then Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular. I'm also thinking if we feel like it and are up early we might go to Ellen's Stardust Diner for breakfast, I think that would be fun.

I'm not so worried about Christmas day activities so much, I think we've got lots of good things planned. It's more just those "from home" traditions that I would like to incorporate where I can.

We will definitely do the milk and cookies for Santa, I love that. We always give the kids Christmas jammies so that will still happen.

Yes, and we still did the unwrapping of new Christmas jammies on Christmas Eve... thanks for the reminder. The little things the same were great, but lots of new ones like sherbert for morning tea on Christmas Day:hyper:

A touch of old, A touch of new!

Shuttergirl...

Picture my friend sent me...apparently $25. About 2 1/2 ft tall. She asked what size were you looking for. Is this what you're kinda looking for? If so, then she can probably suggest somewhere.

images

She also mentioned the Dollar Stores.

That tree is adorable. So kind of your friend and yourself to help me with this. I'd love to hear where she thinks I could find something like this. I will definitely have decorations to put on a tree as I will be shopping up a storm in WDW. I'd also love to know where the Dollar stores are near Times Square if you friend wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks again PIO for your amazing help.

Hi Shuttergirl. :wave: I'm PIO's friend. I have lived in NYC most of my life and right in the Times Square area. I know this place really well and can offer you some suggestions. It would be helpful to know which part of Times Square you are staying in. At least the numbered cross street. Then I can direct you to stores closer to where you will be.

For instance, there are two supermarkets which have the 2 1/2 ft tree PIO posted above. They are both the same supermarket: Food Emporium, but one is at 43rd St & 9th Ave, and the other is at 49th St at 8th Ave.

Both places also will have down the street, a street vendor which will be selling whole Christmas trees on the sidewalk. Since you are staying for 9 days, and you are into decorating, you might want to look at 3+ ft tall trees (below) instead like this and decorate it with your kids. You can probably have them cut the tree down to any size you want. You can buy a little stand from them. They will put the tree in a sleeve, so you can carry/drag it with you. Or you can hail a cab and drive it back to the hotel for about $7.

1001087_TRCTTPLNS03003C_A_400.jpg

When we get closer to the holidays and the trees are out for sale, I can probably take a few pictures on my cellphone of the Christmas trees for sale, so you will have a better idea of what is being offered and know where you want to head to. it will save you some time.

Dollar Stores:
There are three different dollar stores in the area. They usually have a full wall of Christmas decorations as well as small, decorative gift boxes and even some NYC souvenirs. You can get a string of lights there or at any drugstore.

One dollar store is on W. 46th St between 5 & 6 Aves. South side of the street. I don't know the name off hand. Dollar something. You can't miss it. It has two floors. A household section on the lower floor, in case you need something cheap there. They also have mugs that say NYC on them, and some small stuff like that.

It's closer to 5th Ave. Also close to the BIG Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center at 49th St between 5th & 6th Aves. Up on the the "Top of the Rock" is the best view of Manhattan in my opinion. St Patrick's Cathedral is across the street on 5th Ave. You don't need the building numbers in NYC for stores as you know the cross streets.

NOTE: When you give an address to a taxi cab, always give the cross streets instead of a building number. Only tourists (who they can then rip off by driving around an extra 10 minutes and adding to the fare,) give building numbers like: 523 Main St. instead of saying "Main Street & 23rd St."

Jack's 99 cent store, is located on E. 40th St between 5th Ave and Madison Ave. South side of the street. you will know it's the south side of the streets because the numbered streets count down as you head south.

A second Jack's 99 cent store, is near Macy's & K-mart, which PIO gave the address of earlier. This one is located on 32nd St between 6th & 7th Aves. It is 2 blocks south of Macy's. 3 blocks over from K-mart. And about 6 blocks from the Empire State Building.

Drugstores:
Walgreens is right at the "V" in Tines Square. Look up, see the ball that drops on New Years eve and head to that building. At the base of it will be Walgreens, on 42nd St.

Rite Aid is at W. 50th St & 8 Ave. NW corner. They will have an aisle of Christmas stuff like lights and balls.

Don't shop at Duane Reade - extremely overpriced tourist trap. :p

Baked Goods:
Food Emporium (where I mentioned getting a 2 1/2 ft tree from) is more of a high end supermarket so they actually have a fresh baked goods section, complete with gingerbread cookies and decorated Christmas cookies. You can buy a platter or small containers. I stopped by earlier tonight and picked up these mini cupcakes for $2.

FE_zps16b40fc2.jpg

My favorite bakeries in the world are located in Times Square. One is called The Little Pie Company. Long before Oprah listed it as one of her "Favorite Things" on her Christmas shows, we locals knew about this shop. :love: We'd line up every Thanksgiving morning and Christmas morning to pick up our heavenly baked pies. They are so popular, that before Oprah helped them become famous and they were able to open 2 more shops around the city, the reserve list for the pies closed in AUGUST. If you didn't get on by then, you might have a chance to get pie that was by first come-first serve. BUT you had to stand in line at 6am and hope by the time you got to the beginning, they still had the type pie you wanted - or your holiday would be ruined as all your loved ones want one of those pies. :sad: With the 2 extra stores, they no longer had to have a reserve list for the pies. But, still go early on Christmas morning, or the best flavors will run out.

My favorite pie from The Little Pie Company, is their sour cream apple walnut pie. :love: It's like no other pie in the world.
scaw_slice.jpg

(Oprah's favorite is the key lime pie.) The big pies are between $23 - $30 for one pie, but so worth it. BUT, they also sell 5 inch pies for $8, so you could actually get a couple smaller pies, or one a day, to split into 4 slices for you & your family. Here is the selection of pies:
http://www.littlepiecompany.com/

If you want to experience an authentic "New York" style cheesecake, get a cheesecake from Junior's, on W. 45th St between Broadway & 8th Aves. Don't eat at Juniors, they are way overpriced. Just get a cheesecake or dessert there. They have special crunchies on their cheesecake. The "everything" cheesecake is really good. Their cupcakes have authentic butter cream frosting. :love: It is just around the corner from the Disney Store & Toys are Us.

See the crunchies!
JuniorsCheesecake_zps6e5af45d.jpg

Here is a thread of places to eat in the Times Square area. I have a few posts on it:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2918439

As for where to hide presents, ask your concierge if they have a room or closet in which you might be able to store a box or suitcase in for a day or two. Usually they have an area in which guests who have packages mailed to them are safely stored until they can pick them up. They might be able to hold your presents of you label the box well with your name & room number. Especially if you make it clear you will give them a nice tip for doing you that special favor. ;)

K-mart actually has layaway. In which you can shop & reserve your items and pick them up on Christmas eve. The lines for pick up will probably be long though. And the store may close early. Make sure you know the store hours on Christmas eve.

Oh, one warning, do NOT go to the Target in Manhattan. It is actually in a very dangerous neighborhood: Spanish Harlem. Which is more dangerous than regular Harlem. _I_ won't even go there. You have to walk several blocks from the subway to get there. And you will probably be mugged of all your purchases on the way back. :scared1: One friend I know takes a taxi or car service to come back when she has several bags. Kind of defeats the purpose of shopping and getting low prices when you have to hire a car or taxi. :rolleyes:

If you want to go to Target, there is a nice one in Queens. If I know which hotel you will be at, I can tell you which subway to take that is close by. It's about 45 minutes by subway.

We have no Walmart in NYC. There is one in NJ. It's a short ride - about 20 minutes. And the bus station is a block from Times Square.

Feel free to PM me or have PIO get in touch with me if you have more questions or need more help, or I was unclear on anything. :) I am usually over on the DIS Community Board.

Hi Shuttergirl. :wave: I'm PIO's friend. I have lived in NYC most of my life and right in the Times Square area. I know this place really well and can offer you some suggestions. It would be helpful to know which part of Times Square you are staying in. At least the numbered cross street. Then I can direct you to stores closer to where you will be.

For instance, there are two supermarkets which have the 2 1/2 ft tree PIO posted above. They are both the same supermarket: Food Emporium, but one is at 43rd St & 9th Ave, and the other is at 49th St at 8th Ave.

Both places also will have down the street, a street vendor which will be selling whole Christmas trees on the sidewalk. Since you are staying for 9 days, and you are into decorating, you might want to look at 3+ ft tall trees (below) instead like this and decorate it with your kids. You can probably have them cut the tree down to any size you want. You can buy a little stand from them. They will put the tree in a sleeve, so you can carry/drag it with you. Or you can hail a cab and drive it back to the hotel for about $7.

1001087_TRCTTPLNS03003C_A_400.jpg

When we get closer to the holidays and the trees are out for sale, I can probably take a few pictures on my cellphone of the Christmas trees for sale, so you will have a better idea of what is being offered and know where you want to head to. it will save you some time.

Dollar Stores:
There are three different dollar stores in the area. They usually have a full wall of Christmas decorations as well as small, decorative gift boxes and even some NYC souvenirs. You can get a string of lights there or at any drugstore.

One dollar store is on W. 46th St between 5 & 6 Aves. South side of the street. I don't know the name off hand. Dollar something. You can't miss it. It has two floors. A household section on the lower floor, in case you need something cheap there. They also have mugs that say NYC on them, and some small stuff like that.

It's closer to 5th Ave. Also close to the BIG Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center at 49th St between 5th & 6th Aves. Up on the the "Top of the Rock" is the best view of Manhattan in my opinion. St Patrick's Cathedral is across the street on 5th Ave. You don't need the building numbers in NYC for stores as you know the cross streets.

NOTE: When you give an address to a taxi cab, always give the cross streets instead of a building number. Only tourists (who they can then rip off by driving around an extra 10 minutes and adding to the fare,) give building numbers like: 523 Main St. instead of saying "Main Street & 23rd St."

Jack's 99 cent store, is located on E. 40th St between 5th Ave and Madison Ave. South side of the street. you will know it's the south side of the streets because the numbered streets count down as you head south.

A second Jack's 99 cent store, is near Macy's & K-mart, which PIO gave the address of earlier. This one is located on 32nd St between 6th & 7th Aves. It is 2 blocks south of Macy's. 3 blocks over from K-mart. And about 6 blocks from the Empire State Building.

Drugstores:
Walgreens is right at the "V" in Tines Square. Look up, see the ball that drops on New Years eve and head to that building. At the base of it will be Walgreens, on 42nd St.

Rite Aid is at W. 50th St & 8 Ave. NW corner. They will have an aisle of Christmas stuff like lights and balls.

Don't shop at Duane Reade - extremely overpriced tourist trap. :p

Baked Goods:
Food Emporium (where I mentioned getting a 2 1/2 ft tree from) is more of a high end supermarket so they actually have a fresh baked goods section, complete with gingerbread cookies and decorated Christmas cookies. You can buy a platter or small containers. I stopped by earlier tonight and picked up these mini cupcakes for $2.

FE_zps16b40fc2.jpg

My favorite bakeries in the world are located in Times Square. One is called The Little Pie Company. Long before Oprah listed it as one of her "Favorite Things" on her Christmas shows, we locals knew about this shop. :love: We'd line up every Thanksgiving morning and Christmas morning to pick up our heavenly baked pies. They are so popular, that before Oprah helped them become famous and they were able to open 2 more shops around the city, the reserve list for the pies closed in AUGUST. If you didn't get on by then, you might have a chance to get pie that was by first come-first serve. BUT you had to stand in line at 6am and hope by the time you got to the beginning, they still had the type pie you wanted - or your holiday would be ruined as all your loved ones want one of those pies. :sad: With the 2 extra stores, they no longer had to have a reserve list for the pies. But, still go early on Christmas morning, or the best flavors will run out.

My favorite pie from The Little Pie Company, is their sour cream apple walnut pie. :love: It's like no other pie in the world.
scaw_slice.jpg

(Oprah's favorite is the key lime pie.) The big pies are between $23 - $30 for one pie, but so worth it. BUT, they also sell 5 inch pies for $8, so you could actually get a couple smaller pies, or one a day, to split into 4 slices for you & your family. Here is the selection of pies:
http://www.littlepiecompany.com/

If you want to experience an authentic "New York" style cheesecake, get a cheesecake from Junior's, on W. 45th St between Broadway & 8th Aves. Don't eat at Juniors, they are way overpriced. Just get a cheesecake or dessert there. They have special crunchies on their cheesecake. The "everything" cheesecake is really good. Their cupcakes have authentic butter cream frosting. :love: It is just around the corner from the Disney Store & Toys are Us.

See the crunchies!
JuniorsCheesecake_zps6e5af45d.jpg

Here is a thread of places to eat in the Times Square area. I have a few posts on it:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2918439

As for where to hide presents, ask your concierge if they have a room or closet in which you might be able to store a box or suitcase in for a day or two. Usually they have an area in which guests who have packages mailed to them are safely stored until they can pick them up. They might be able to hold your presents of you label the box well with your name & room number. Especially if you make it clear you will give them a nice tip for doing you that special favor. ;)

K-mart actually has layaway. In which you can shop & reserve your items and pick them up on Christmas eve. The lines for pick up will probably be long though. And the store may close early. Make sure you know the store hours on Christmas eve.

Oh, one warning, do NOT go to the Target in Manhattan. It is actually in a very dangerous neighborhood: Spanish Harlem. Which is more dangerous than regular Harlem. _I_ won't even go there. You have to walk several blocks from the subway to get there. And you will probably be mugged of all your purchases on the way back. :scared1: One friend I know takes a taxi or car service to come back when she has several bags. Kind of defeats the purpose of shopping and getting low prices when you have to hire a car or taxi. :rolleyes:

If you want to go to Target, there is a nice one in Queens. If I know which hotel you will be at, I can tell you which subway to take that is close by. It's about 45 minutes by subway.

We have no Walmart in NYC. There is one in NJ. It's a short ride - about 20 minutes. And the bus station is a block from Times Square.

Feel free to PM me or have PIO get in touch with me if you have more questions or need more help, or I was unclear on anything. :) I am usually over on the DIS Community Board.

Wow Imzadi. So much AMAZING information. I can't thank you enough for jumping in with all of this detail. It is so very much appreciated.

To give you a point of reference, we are staying at The Hilton New York, Cnr 6th Ave & 53rd Street. We have stayed in this hotel before and liked that it was a few blocks off of Times Square. We felt that we explored a little more from this area.

To answer the food thing. I have done some research on dining options but would welcome your feedback on some of the places I've jotted down. I've created a personalised google map with some notes (yes I'm a little crazy ;)). I'd love it if you could take a look and tell me if my suggestions are an epic fail or whether I've got some good things on there:-

https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid=205856736258165738418.0004ca54e1641ed35ad5c&msa=0

Some places we've eaten at before, many are new though. If you have some to add, that would be awesome.

That larger Christmas tree is super cute. I'd be happy with whatever so long as we have something so if you think we can find something with a street vendor then that would be perfect.

I will 100% be getting some of those pies from that pie company you recommended. We will likely buy 3 or 4 of the smaller ones so we can taste a few different ones and share. Thank you for that because they look yum yum yum.

I'll definitely stay away from Target but may give Kmart a whirl.

I have one supermarket marked down near our hotel but would welcome any recommendations for markets nearby to pick up breakfasts, yoghurts and snacks if you know of any.

Love those cupcakes you shared. Hmmmm and only $2, that is so cheap.

I've seen the Walgreens, I'm obsessed with buying large quantities of ibuprophen :lmao:. It's so cheap there. Like seriously. I paid $7.95 for 24 tablets here yesterday and at Walgreens its like $14.95 for 500 or something ridiculous :cool1:. I'll be stocking up for sure.

I think one of the dollar stores you mentioned isn't far from us so I'll definitely be checking them out.

Okay, I'm sure I've got lots of more questions but I'll leave it at that for the moment. You have been so very kind already, thank you so much.

we did a letter to Santa telling him we'll be away and what hotel. asked Santa to leave presents at home. had 2 small ones on NYC

try a night before Christmas app!!! there are some very cool ones

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter