Christmas in a hotel - help!!!!

Ms. Shuttergirl

DIS Veteran
It's not a secret that I absolutely adore Christmas. If you think I've shared lots of pics on previous trips you wait until I get to see all of the awesome decorations in the US, it will be mental.

My family are not strangers to being away for Christmas. We have only ever spent 1 Christmas in our own home which on alot of levels makes me sad. When our daughter was a baby we moved interstate and so I guess we always felt it was our "duty" to go home for Christmas. Then FIL got sick 3 years ago and we not only spent Christmas away but we did so in a dingy cabin in a caravan park so that the inlaws house wasn't too crowded when he wasn't well.

So we aren't novices at this type of thing.

However - I've never been away for nearly the whole of December, travelling from hotel room to hotel room. And I've never had us all sleeping in the same room for Christmas eve and Santa's delivery of gifts (if you know what I mean). We always had a 2 bedroom cabin with a separate lounge that made Santa's efforts alot easier.

Jump to this coming December. I have 2 issues I'd like your thoughts on.

1. Christmas Eve/Morning

My children are DD14 and DS10. Obviously DD14 is a wake up to the Santa situation although she knows better than to EVER discuss it with me and break my heart :rotfl2:. I kind of thought that the jig was up with DS10 also until a few things he said recently. Leading up to his birthday he said he wanted a PS3. I said no way were we coughing up that sort of money for his birthday gift along with everything else he wanted. He said "fine, I'll just ask Santa to bring me one for Christmas". I couldn't believe it. That was a few months ago though so I thought perhaps things had changed but alas we were in a store the other day and he asked "mum does Santa bring clothes as well as toys?" I said he sure does. He said "will he know my size". I said "absolutely".

Now don't get me wrong, I think it is the most magical thing to still have that sort of innocence and on many levels I feel so happy that we still have this to look forward to for another Christmas.

But obviously, it would've been easier to have the cat out of the bag and just do a few small gifts, etc.

what should I do?

Gifts - Since this trip is pretty massive, 5 weeks of wonderfulness, and since we had planned on doing lots and lots of shopping for the kids, I was thinking I wouldn't give quite as many Christmas gifts. Now on top of that, Santa will have to give gifts. I have already said he should perhaps ask Santa for gift cards and small in size items this year because of not having much space in the luggage. Do you think that's ok? And do you think it's reasonable to explain to the kids that the gifts from us will be minimal due to the trip and all the shopping we'll be doing?

Santa's delivery - How on earth is Santa going to deliver the presents without anyone hearing/seeing/waking up???? Where in a hotel room with minimal space would be a good spot for him to leave the gifts? I do plan on having a very small tree but I need to think about how far away from where my DS sleeps I can put it so Santa doesn't get caught :lmao:.

2. 1. Christmas decorations, traditions, crafts, etc

Because we leave on 9 December things are going to be very different this Christmas. The first is that I will not be decorating our home for Christmas. I couldn't bare getting back after travelling for 5 weeks, exhausted and having to pack it all up. I have 4 full size Christmas trees, all pictures get taken off the walls and replaced with Christmas quilts, pictures etc. All surfaces get cleared and stacked high with ornaments. I just don't have it in me to put it up then pack it up as it takes days and days.

I did think I might try to find a few of my Jim Shore Disney Christmas things and put them out and I might be able to stretch to decorating one tree, of course it would have to be the Disney one :rotfl:.

I will be frantic with the business in the lead up to this trip so many of the wonderful traditions we enjoy each year may well have to be missed out on as well. It kind of breaks my heart a little because I didn't have a very good childhood and all of these wonderful activities and traditions have been part of making my children feel loved and safe. That's what is so good about traditions, kids can count on them. Even lame ones most kids look forward to, it brings them comfort, the routine of it all.

We normally bake and decorate gingerbread cookies, make lots of Christmas crafts, read a different Christmas story ever night (I've been collecting books and poems for years), watch a bazillion Christmas movies, usually have a few Christmas parties with friends, bake and decorate a gingerbread house, spend days decorating the whole house together, having the obligatory photo on Santa's knee, the list goes on and on. I also love love love to bake Christmas themed food, it makes me happy. The decorations in our home especially create an amazing feeling and everyone who calls in adores it and my children really love being a part of it.

What do I do?

Obviously 11 nights in WDW and then on to NYC for 9 nights and Christmas are going to make it hard to do any or all of these activities. What can I do to create a festive feeling in our 2 hotel rooms? It would have to be either small and not take up much room in a suitcase, something I could leave behind, etc.

Christmas stockings - I've decided that I'm not going to take my kids Christmas stockings with us which makes me so sad. Those babies have flown with us everywhere but they are padded and bulky and I'm not dragging them around the US. I thought perhaps I could buy something Disney themed like a pillow case and use those since they are small. Do you think that's ok?

Books - Also our Night Before Christmas Book is very bulky. Do you think I should still take it or try to find something printable online that will do the trick and not weigh much? I do have lots of poems and stories that I had printed up and tied ribbon around when the kids were little as we couldn't afford to buy many Christmas books then so I found lots of stories online, printed them up on pretty paper and made my own. I think they will work fine to be slipped into the suitcase.

Christmas tree - I definitely have to have a little tree. My thoughts on this is to try and find something small here and take it with us and then just leave it in the hotel room in NYC when we leave. That way we don't have to search and try and find anything in the US and then it will free up suitcase space. Thoughts?

Other decorations - does anyone have any good ideas for decorating the 2 hotel rooms that 1. don't take up much suitcase space 2. don't take long to put up and down and 3. aren't expensive.

Baking - The baking thing I can let go of because WDW will have so many Christmas themed baked goods. I will just have to make sure to buy something nearly everyday we are there that has a Christmas theme.

In conclusion

I know our kids are so lucky to be going on this trip. I know the dream of a white US/Canadian christmas is going to be absolutely wonderful (and cold) and that we will be so overwhelmed with all of the decorations we see that we will be jumping with joy. But I still want to bring a bit of home and some of our traditions to the experience so it isn't "too different" for the kids.

If you have managed to read through all of this you are amazing!!!!!:thumbsup2. It's so long winded but I just needed to get this out there and see if you guys who are far more travelled than me, or the ones who just have the most amazing ideas and imaginations - if anyone has thoughts or ideas I would love to hear them.

Ta Disers :)

I think you are going to so overwhelmed with christmassy stuff your kids won't even realise what normally happens. I think I read on the boards you could pay Disney to decorate your room, or that might have been on a DCL forum, but they might be able to. Anything can happen at Disney,

You know I think this is harder for you than it will be for the kids.

I am taking it the tree is not going to be secret , you could leave a note from Santa, saying that he know you are travelling and so have only left small items and gift cards , even if you we're going to get ps3 or such - he can buy it with a gift card when you get back. If he still believes santa makes everything, then maybe a ps3 is too jhard for the elves or some such. Maybe you could put it on the nightstand between the beds and put the gifts in the drawer and just open it , I don't know how to stop him opening the drawer beforehand though, maybe a bit of tape

As for the books, do you have an iPad, I am sure you could download full books with all the illustrations and such and probably wouldn't be too expensive.

I keep thinking about this -

How about leaving some parcels with bell services, and ask them to deliver on Xmas morning, with a message that something was left downstairs for him, tip them well, DS will know that everything is not going to be exactly the same as you are staying in a hotel.

Aww, Ms Shuttergirl you are such a lovely caring Mum. No advice, I love Christmas too, but am much too lazy and unmotivated to go to all the effort that you do. I am sure that whatever you do will be magical :grouphug:

Caroline NZ said:
Aww, Ms Shuttergirl you are such a lovely caring Mum. No advice, I love Christmas too, but am much too lazy and unmotivated to go to all the effort that you do. I am sure that whatever you do will be magical :grouphug:

This is me!

Shuttergirl - If it were me, I would be putting up one tree in the house anytime from now to the start of November. My Christmas preparations start from the middle of October (now....) because I'm so frantic in November and December.

At least this way, you get to enjoy the tree before you go...and when you get home.

As for the rest of the ornaments and the decorations, I would probably not bother with anything else except the Christmas stockings. I assume that you have stocking holders to hold them up on a mantle piece or something similar...and if you do that, they won't be too hard to take down.

It also allows for you to consider leaving some of the bigger gifts at home for the kids, if you've already gotten them and, as BattyMum suggested, have a Santa letter which explains that Santa has delivered small presents to the hotel room, to minimise the weight on the plane, and delivered larger presents at home for them to open on their return home.

If you have a trusted friend/neighbour/family member, you could leave the gifts with them and they could put them under the tree and into the stockings before you get back.

I personally wouldn't bother buying a tree here and taking it with you. Shopping for those kinds of christmas decorations is available cheaper and in abundant variety in the US. Target have great decorations at this time of year and they probably will have small table sized trees all gussied up. And if you're in NYC, you'll probably be able to find a small tree in any corner chemist/cvs store.

Likewise with Christmas stockings. If you leave the ones at home, check out the range and variety in the US and decide whether there is anything there that you want to buy for the hotel room.

And if Disney follows the same merchandise tradition, they will be offering a Christmas blanket for a reduced price (nominally either $25 or $40) with purchases of $X in one transaction. It might be a $50 in one transaction rule. The blankets are usually a loose weave but the Christmas scenes are usually really gorgeous. I cannot imagine you going over there and not wanting to pick one up for yourself...so you might as well get one and decorate your room with it.

For the Night Before Christmas, are you wanting that to read the story to the kids? If so, pick up a copy over there. The cost of books are ridiculously cheap compared to over here....you could probably find a small book under $10; or even under $5.

In terms of decorating your NYC room, I'm pretty sure you'll be buying decorations in WDW. Use some of those. Alternatively, you'll be finding loads of decorations in NYC....at cheaper than over here. I would try and find a home furnishing store like Crate and Barrel, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn or even head to that section in the departmental stores and get some Christmas themed table cloths or napery or even tea towels that you might like to buy....even Target would have these but I'm not sure where the Target is in NYC. You can always bluetack them up on the walls of your hotel room and make it really Christmasy that way without spending a great deal of money.

In any event, you'll be completely surrounded with all the trappings of a White Christmas and the most amazing decorations. Just enjoy!

:scratchin I think I've gotten just as long-winded as your post! :lmao:

What about some of those stick on decals? You could put them on hotel walls or windows then just peal and throw away when you leave.

And I love Battymum's idea of leaving gifts with the bell hop:cheer2:

same here! Although its easier for me this year as DD12 knows I am santa. Although she hasn't actually said it out loud :lmao: DD and I love christmas, we are gutted we will be in the plane for christmas day but the holiday is worth it. DD already knows the holiday is her christmas present, we'll surprise her with a disney gift card when we get to disneyland as her early present from us though and I am planning to leave "santa's" present out for her so she'll have it when we walk through the door on the 26th.

I think your best option is to arrange something with bell services as battymum suggested and try and forget the other stuff for this year - we do the baking, decorating, craft extravaganza normally as well but as we fly out on the 9th I'm not even planning to put the christmas tree up this year :sad1: I'm hoping we'll have enough disney xmas magic to make up for all that. We also usually have DD's birthday party in early december (her birthday is in January when all her mates are away on holidays) and we're not doing that this year so its quite a weird feeling not having all this stuff to plan and organise :confused3

We'll just have to super size Christmas next year to make up for it :thumbsup2

I think there are some great suggestions already.

I would put the tree and stockings up at home and thats it. I would then ask a friend or family member to put the gifts under it/in them.

I'd pick up a small tree and tinsel over there. Also the idea of wall decals are great!! Get a few small gifts and keep them hidden in your suitcase: T-Shirt, gift cards etc and a note from Santa.

Good luck!

Ms. Shuttergirl We also do all the baking and crafts etc it makes Christmas for us re Santa 2 stockings one to put out one with the gifts already in it then you just have to do a swap quickly and quietly much easier when kids are getting suspicious;)

We always write a letter to Santa when our plans are going to be different just so he knows we are going away and one ear when we knew we wouldn't have much room we asked Santa for smaller gifts and a gift card to fit in our luggage the kids never gave it a second thought but i was always so stressed about it.

I think you are going to so overwhelmed with christmassy stuff your kids won't even realise what normally happens. I think I read on the boards you could pay Disney to decorate your room, or that might have been on a DCL forum, but they might be able to. Anything can happen at Disney,

You know I think this is harder for you than it will be for the kids.

I am taking it the tree is not going to be secret , you could leave a note from Santa, saying that he know you are travelling and so have only left small items and gift cards , even if you we're going to get ps3 or such - he can buy it with a gift card when you get back. If he still believes santa makes everything, then maybe a ps3 is too jhard for the elves or some such. Maybe you could put it on the nightstand between the beds and put the gifts in the drawer and just open it , I don't know how to stop him opening the drawer beforehand though, maybe a bit of tape

As for the books, do you have an iPad, I am sure you could download full books with all the illustrations and such and probably wouldn't be too expensive.

I love love love the Letter from Santa idea. I think that will be positively perfect.

And you may very well be right - this could be harder on me than the kids :rotfl:.

Oooooh thanks for this link. Off to have a look now.

I keep thinking about this -

How about leaving some parcels with bell services, and ask them to deliver on Xmas morning, with a message that something was left downstairs for him, tip them well, DS will know that everything is not going to be exactly the same as you are staying in a hotel.

I think that is so sweet that you keep thinking about this for me.

I really like the Bell services idea and that is so true. I'm sure my son will understand that Santa had to do things a little differently.

Thanks Caroline.

This is me!

:rotfl2:

Shuttergirl - If it were me, I would be putting up one tree in the house anytime from now to the start of November. My Christmas preparations start from the middle of October (now....) because I'm so frantic in November and December.

At least this way, you get to enjoy the tree before you go...and when you get home.

As for the rest of the ornaments and the decorations, I would probably not bother with anything else except the Christmas stockings. I assume that you have stocking holders to hold them up on a mantle piece or something similar...and if you do that, they won't be too hard to take down.

It also allows for you to consider leaving some of the bigger gifts at home for the kids, if you've already gotten them and, as BattyMum suggested, have a Santa letter which explains that Santa has delivered small presents to the hotel room, to minimise the weight on the plane, and delivered larger presents at home for them to open on their return home.

If you have a trusted friend/neighbour/family member, you could leave the gifts with them and they could put them under the tree and into the stockings before you get back.

I personally wouldn't bother buying a tree here and taking it with you. Shopping for those kinds of christmas decorations is available cheaper and in abundant variety in the US. Target have great decorations at this time of year and they probably will have small table sized trees all gussied up. And if you're in NYC, you'll probably be able to find a small tree in any corner chemist/cvs store.

Likewise with Christmas stockings. If you leave the ones at home, check out the range and variety in the US and decide whether there is anything there that you want to buy for the hotel room.

And if Disney follows the same merchandise tradition, they will be offering a Christmas blanket for a reduced price (nominally either $25 or $40) with purchases of $X in one transaction. It might be a $50 in one transaction rule. The blankets are usually a loose weave but the Christmas scenes are usually really gorgeous. I cannot imagine you going over there and not wanting to pick one up for yourself...so you might as well get one and decorate your room with it.

For the Night Before Christmas, are you wanting that to read the story to the kids? If so, pick up a copy over there. The cost of books are ridiculously cheap compared to over here....you could probably find a small book under $10; or even under $5.

In terms of decorating your NYC room, I'm pretty sure you'll be buying decorations in WDW. Use some of those. Alternatively, you'll be finding loads of decorations in NYC....at cheaper than over here. I would try and find a home furnishing store like Crate and Barrel, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn or even head to that section in the departmental stores and get some Christmas themed table cloths or napery or even tea towels that you might like to buy....even Target would have these but I'm not sure where the Target is in NYC. You can always bluetack them up on the walls of your hotel room and make it really Christmasy that way without spending a great deal of money.

In any event, you'll be completely surrounded with all the trappings of a White Christmas and the most amazing decorations. Just enjoy!

:scratchin I think I've gotten just as long-winded as your post! :lmao:

I love that I'm not the only one who decorates the house early. Because it takes me so long, I generally do it around the middle to 3rd week of November. I think I will put up just the one tree. I collect musical ornaments and snow globes so I might put them out in their special spot also. All of my friends kids love turning everything on each year. Seeing their faces puts the biggest smile on mine. I'd hate to miss that.

I was thinking of buying the tree before I went because I just didn't have any idea where to start looking for this type of thing in the middle of NYC. And I didn't want to have to waste hours trying to find it. I do think it would be great to get a small predecorated tree there though. Perhaps I need to find out where the nearest cheap department store to Times Square is. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Great idea to buy a book over there. That is exactly what I will do. Hopefully I will stumble across a few new ones to add to our collection also. Thanks.

Absolutely great idea about the Disney Christmas rug. Of course I will need to have that :lmao:.

What about some of those stick on decals? You could put them on hotel walls or windows then just peal and throw away when you leave.

And I love Battymum's idea of leaving gifts with the bell hop:cheer2:

Ooooh this is a great idea.

same here! Although its easier for me this year as DD12 knows I am santa. Although she hasn't actually said it out loud :lmao: DD and I love christmas, we are gutted we will be in the plane for christmas day but the holiday is worth it. DD already knows the holiday is her christmas present, we'll surprise her with a disney gift card when we get to disneyland as her early present from us though and I am planning to leave "santa's" present out for her so she'll have it when we walk through the door on the 26th.

I think your best option is to arrange something with bell services as battymum suggested and try and forget the other stuff for this year - we do the baking, decorating, craft extravaganza normally as well but as we fly out on the 9th I'm not even planning to put the christmas tree up this year :sad1: I'm hoping we'll have enough disney xmas magic to make up for all that. We also usually have DD's birthday party in early december (her birthday is in January when all her mates are away on holidays) and we're not doing that this year so its quite a weird feeling not having all this stuff to plan and organise :confused3

We'll just have to super size Christmas next year to make up for it :thumbsup2

Sounds like you have it all sorted. I think you are right, I'll just supersize it next year hehe.

I think there are some great suggestions already.

I would put the tree and stockings up at home and thats it. I would then ask a friend or family member to put the gifts under it/in them.

I'd pick up a small tree and tinsel over there. Also the idea of wall decals are great!! Get a few small gifts and keep them hidden in your suitcase: T-Shirt, gift cards etc and a note from Santa.

Good luck!

I agree that the whole gift card, tshirts, etc. is a good idea. My husband was actually thinking we could perhaps get the kids an ipad each. I said they didn't need one each since we already own one so perhaps we could get them one to share. DS will be easier than DD as he would like some sporting jerseys for his fave US teams as well as some new baseball gear since he plays baseball. The other thing i thought was a new Nintendo DS since he has the old one. It's going to be DD who will be hard hard hard. 14 year old girls are definitely tough to buy for.

To be honest, I've no clue what to get her other than gift cards.

Ms. Shuttergirl We also do all the baking and crafts etc it makes Christmas for us re Santa 2 stockings one to put out one with the gifts already in it then you just have to do a swap quickly and quietly much easier when kids are getting suspicious;)

We always write a letter to Santa when our plans are going to be different just so he knows we are going away and one ear when we knew we wouldn't have much room we asked Santa for smaller gifts and a gift card to fit in our luggage the kids never gave it a second thought but i was always so stressed about it.

WAMUMOF4, all of the baking and craft definitely does make up what we love about Christmas. So I'll just get Disney to bake for me hahaha. I will also take along some Christmas colouring and word finds etc. for the kids. That way there will be a few things we can do if time allows.

I am really loving the Letter to Santa idea. The kids always do one, in fact I make them write 2 so I can keep one :rotfl2:. This year I'll just have to discuss it with DS beforehand to make sure we are on the same page about smaller gifts.

So this is my Disney tree. It was born last year so needs alot more decorations added to it. I've heard that the Christmas store in DD starts a big sale around the middle of December so I'll hopefully be there to take advantage of that. My DH is shuddering already:rotfl2:

376316_1645195106677_1740871569_866350_955268264_n.jpg

This tree should be very quick to put up.

I do think it would be great to get a small predecorated tree there though. Perhaps I need to find out where the nearest cheap department store to Times Square is. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I PM'd a friend of mine that lives in NYC to see if she knows. I'll post an update when she responds.

However, I'm pretty sure that the CVS chain of chemists will have small trees for sale. I remember seeing them in San Francisco stores.

Don't forget Macy's.

And there is a KMart in Manhattan.

250 West 34th Street
New York

Target is in Brooklyn.

I just did a quick search through iBooks for the night before Christmas, there is dozens to choose you can download samples before you buy the full version, they are cheap, and look great !
I am new to iPad so glad to have the excuse to look.

I PM'd a friend of mine that lives in NYC to see if she knows. I'll post an update when she responds.

However, I'm pretty sure that the CVS chain of chemists will have small trees for sale. I remember seeing them in San Francisco stores.

Don't forget Macy's.

Love me some Macy's, could never forget them :rotfl:.

Thanks for messaging your friend, that is very sweet.

And there is a KMart in Manhattan.

250 West 34th Street
New York

Target is in Brooklyn.

I did not realise there was a KMart in Manhattan. I've noted that down because they've got some great cheap trees.

I did have quite a wander through and their prices are amazing. We just pay so much for everything here, it drives me crazy.

Thanks for the links.

I just did a quick search through iBooks for the night before Christmas, there is dozens to choose you can download samples before you buy the full version, they are cheap, and look great !
I am new to iPad so glad to have the excuse to look.

Oh yay, that's fabulous Battymum. When my husband gets back from Sydney with his ipad I'm going shopping. Thank you.

Hi!

My family and I spent the whole of december in the states in 2010. I too am a huge Christmas lover decorating the inside of our house complete with a Disney decorated home made fire place, a snowman grotto and a Disney tree!
I told my DH just because we were thousands of miles from home didn't mean I wasn't going to put up a Christmas tree! So I took myself off to KMart and returned with a tree, lights and some decorations to hang on the tree and to place around our room. I also bought wrapping paper etc and had some gifts that I had purchased while we were there, wrapped them and popped them under the tree! My Mum had even sent us a card and we got in delivered to our room on Christmas day which was a nice surprise!

Here is the link to a picture! ( Post 199 )

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2661251&page=14

The lights were some of the brightest I have ever seen so I did bring them back home with us! We actually had them draped around the curtain rod in the hotel and they looked great in the window! The tree on the other hand, I donated to the Ho Jo who thought it was just great!

As for gifts for a 14 year old, I am not too sure if your DD is a jewellery lover, but something of that nature is very light and easy to hide and there are so many gorgeous bits and pieces out these days. Maybe a necklace or a Pandora bracelet that she could collect charms for as they have plenty to choose from. I am sure there would even be NY charms and there are also Disney charms but Chamila brand have the licence for them but they do fit Pandora as I have a Minnie one on my bracelet.

Sounds like the DS is easy to please and I am sure a letter from Santa will be a real treat for him! Special for you too:goodvibes
You could also do a mail order shop and have your parcels waiting for you when you arrive. That way you won't have to hide anything in the room or bring it all the way from Australia! Plus, you could probably have some of it gift wrapped!!!

Any which way you look at it though, you will be with your family in New York City.................what could be more Christmassy than that!!!::yes::

Shuttergirl...

Picture my friend sent me...apparently $25. About 2 1/2 ft tall. She asked what size were you looking for. Is this what you're kinda looking for? If so, then she can probably suggest somewhere.

images

She also mentioned the Dollar Stores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter