Christmas gifts, large family

DisneyJules

Magic is all around us!
Hi,

My husband and I just moved into our first home, so money is going to be a little tighter this year. I have a very large family, lots of siblings, plus parents and step parents and also a couple nephews. My parents refuse to draw names so we only have to buy for one each person each, which means I'll be buying for everyone. I have no idea what to buy everyone without breaking the bank, I would LOVE some ideas.

Thanks!

What is your range per person that you'd like to spend? What are the ages involved?

Hi,

My husband and I just moved into our first home, so money is going to be a little tighter this year. I have a very large family, lots of siblings, plus parents and step parents and also a couple nephews. My parents refuse to draw names so we only have to buy for one each person each, which means I'll be buying for everyone. I have no idea what to buy everyone without breaking the bank, I would LOVE some ideas.

Thanks!
Personally, I wouldn't overstretch my budget. I'd buy for those people first that really are close, and when the money runs out, some may not get anything. But I'm fairly "hard" as I've been told.

I'd probably send those who weren't getting an actual gift a real nice letter, telling them how much I love them, and that, if circumstances were different they certainly would be getting a material gift, but, it's just not in the cards this year. Then I'd probably recall some special event/occurrence that I had shared with them and tell them how much that memory means to me.

I would think anyone (nephew/niece-wise) who's younger than about 10 probably doesn't need anything. And (speaking from experience) their parents might actually appreciate that they aren't getting every little nick-knack available on the shelves.

Hi,

Thanks!
Just say you aren't participating anymore. Other people don't dictate who I buy gifts for, even if they are family. I bet you'll get some relieved thank you's from the other gift-buyers in the family.

Can you just buy for the kids? We do in our family.

Or
What about family gift baskets--a DVD, movie candy, popcorn in a bowl? Family game night- board game, gift card for a pizza and a 2 liter soft drink. Snow day gift--hot cocoa, cookies and mugs, or soup mix, crackers and gloves. Cookie malong dry ingredients in a jar with a mixing bowl, spoon and pot holders. If you cook, make a dinner, put it in plastic containers and heating instructions. Lots of easy ideas out there...

Also check the buget boards. They've got great ideas over there!

You could find small items on sale and combine them to make inexpensive themed gifts. For example, look for coffee mugs, tea bags, small packages of cookies, etc. Put them together in a basket, and dress it up by lining it with colored shredded paper and ribbons or bows. Make it look really festive and it will seem like it cost a lot more than it did. You could do other themes based on what the person likes- chocolate, bath products, movies (popcorn, soda, candy and a $5 Redbox certificate). If you shop at discount stores and look for sale items, you can do these for around $10-$15 each.

Your siblings should totally understand that you just bought a house and money is tight right now - totally understandable. If it were me, I would buy for my nephews, parents and step parents. I can't offer any ideas since I don't know what each person would like. GL

We do family gifts, usually movie money & a couple boxes of candy. We still buy toys for the kids if they're under 10.

We do white elephant (buy one random gift). We usually get my Mom and Dad something because they are very generous to us throughout the year and we're really close to them. Christmas is a huge deal in my family, but has never been such a large thing for my husband's family. They also live in NY (14 hours away), so we don't always see them for Christmas. They do the white elephant and it works out really well for everyone, us included. We always get the kids something (two nieces and a nephew), but I'm an artist, so sometimes I'll give them a drawing/painting for their room, or something like that :thumbsup2

Just say you aren't participating anymore. Other people don't dictate who I buy gifts for, even if they are family. I bet you'll get some relieved thank you's from the other gift-buyers in the family.

This. We went through the same thing several years ago and it took my husband's one sister a couple of years to catch on that we really meant it but the other sister was just as happy to stop the madness. We do still get our parents something, but it is usually something small or homemade.

Assuming you won't take others advice and just skip it this year, how much do you normally spend and how much do you want to spend this year (total or per person)?

From my years on these boards I've learned my idea of breaking the bank can vary greatly by another posters idea.

My family does Yankee Swap. The family got too big for gifts for everyone and we used to draw names but people didn't always know who would be there, so Yankee Swap it is. We do a fun dollar gift game too.

Wow, thanks for all of the great ideas and advice. I really appreciate it. I was looking at spending no more than $20.00 a person. I waited a little late this year but next year I think I'm going to discuss this at an earlier time with my family. We're all getting older and as the families expand, it just won't be doable.

I would offer to babysit free of charge to the parents of the children.

For the rest I would give a gift card. $20 is my (high) max usually on most people in our family so I'd personally have no problem with that budget.

Depending on the ages I'd say nerf guns would be a fun gift for any nephew, easily bought under $20. Check get everyone one and have a nerf shootout on Christmas! :)

It's too late now, but today's special value on hsn had 6 nice gift bags with a dozen miracle hanger sets for $40. I am giving several as gifts.

If you have any women bath and body works always has nice candles and body wash/lotions on sale. You can always do gift cards in cute containers. $10 coffee shop gift cards in mugs. You would be surprised how many coffee cups at goodwill are brand new.

Simple. Don't buy anything. Give them a card and explain that presence is more important than presents. But, don't forget to be very clear that you don't want anything either.

Not sure the ages of the kids but you can usually find assortments of games for less than $20 or a book that each one would enjoy.

For the female adults--maybe a scarf or other accessory. If you have a Belks they run good sales on sterling silver jewelry and you can get a nice necklace for $20 or less.

Men are harder for me, but a book for readers, hand warmers for hunters, some kind of grill accessory for one who likes to grill.

For parents--maybe make it a couple gift and spend $40. Buy some nice looking frames and put in some family shots.

$20 budget isn't too hard sometimes you just have to hunt. Dd's budget is that amount and sometimes her gifts are her brothers and sister in laws favorite gifts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter