Christmas gift ideas?

irishsharon

DIS Veteran
Ds is 10 he has (ipod,ds & wii)I have no idea what to get him this year:confused3 The only thing he mentioned is lego but that is not happening because he has 2 HUGE storage containers full.He only plays with the figures any way so I'll get some for his stocking.He is my oldest and my friends all have little ones so I really don't have a clue what other 10 year old boys want:hyper: Please Help!!!!!!!!!! Also any teacher gift ideas......3 teachers 2 aides 1 nurse 1 social worker 3 bus drivers:crazy2:

I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to tell you that you are not alone. DS9 Had an ipod, kindle fire, ds, wii...He likes legos, but he puts them together 1 time and never looks at them again. I have no idea what to get him this year. So I will be watching this thread as well looking for some good ideas.

My son is almost 9 (so his list is a bit long because he has a birthday and Christmas) He has the same items as both of you. We have an iPad, iPod touch, wii, xbox, DS, etc. He really doesn't play much with the video games, so buying video games never really makes our list. And he has some legos, but he prefers to build his own things, rather than buying sets and trying to construct those, so we have enough legos for what he likes to build. Luckily for us, he collects Vinylmations, so I've already stashed quite a few of those away. Aside from that, his list consists of:

1. An electric scooter. But I sort of like the idea of him actually getting exercise while playing outside, so I don't think I'm going to get one. I
was thinking of something like this instead (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13084918) I know razor makes a similar one as well, so I'll have to look and see which is bigger and more age appropriate. Or if anyone has any other outdoor toy suggestions, I'm open. We have a regular razor scooter, razor skateboard (he's not coordinated enough for this at all), bike and a huffy green machine.

2. Itunes gift cards. These are always a hit with him as he has an ipod and ipad. Plus, it's an easy gift to ask our family who lives out of state for.

3. Movie tickets. He loves to get movie tickets and this is an easy gift for him to ask family members for.

4. Furby. He really wants the new furby. It might be a bit young for other kids in this age group though, but he's pretty adamant he wants it.

5. iPod Docking Station. My sister rec'd an iHome docking station last year for Christmas and he's wanted one ever since.

6. A football jersey and other sports clothes. He's really starting to get into sports and favorite teams now, so he's asked for a few sports clothes. And he wants a football jersey as they wear uniforms at school, but have a couple of "special" days where they are allowed to wear sports jerseys. Otherwise I think he would be content with just the sports shirts and sweatshirts.

Tickets for events (concerts, movies, bowling, sporting, local places like rock climbing, laser tag, etc.)

Coupons for things they can redeem like one week of no chores, ice cream for dinner night, get of out school for a day, out to lunch with mom or dad alone, etc.

Snack/food related items that are for them alone, to share or not as they like.

DD9 (soon to be 10) is getting a camera for her birthday. She loves nature and is constantly borrowing mine & my dad's cameras on hikes.

She'll also probably be getting a 4th gen. Touch for Christmas. She has my hand-me-down 2nd gen one after I got a 4th gen last year, and can't play a lot of the newer games on it.

Is her into anything in particular besides legos? I don't have boys, but I know Nerf stuff is always big, lol.

He's getting older and might like to redecorate his room?
New comforter set for his bed, new pictures for his wall, beanbag chair

The hardcover book, The Lego Idea Book Unlock Your Imagination. He can get ideas to use the legos he already has.

I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to tell you that you are not alone. DS9 Had an ipod, kindle fire, ds, wii...He likes legos, but he puts them together 1 time and never looks at them again. I have no idea what to get him this year. So I will be watching this thread as well looking for some good ideas.

I feel ds is still at that in between stage...loves the new gadgets but still loves his star war toys.How does your son like the kindle fire?

My son is almost 9 (so his list is a bit long because he has a birthday and Christmas) He has the same items as both of you. We have an iPad, iPod touch, wii, xbox, DS, etc. He really doesn't play much with the video games, so buying video games never really makes our list. And he has some legos, but he prefers to build his own things, rather than buying sets and trying to construct those, so we have enough legos for what he likes to build. Luckily for us, he collects Vinylmations, so I've already stashed quite a few of those away. Aside from that, his list consists of:

1. An electric scooter. But I sort of like the idea of him actually getting exercise while playing outside, so I don't think I'm going to get one. I
was thinking of something like this instead (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13084918) I know razor makes a similar one as well, so I'll have to look and see which is bigger and more age appropriate. Or if anyone has any other outdoor toy suggestions, I'm open. We have a regular razor scooter, razor skateboard (he's not coordinated enough for this at all), bike and a huffy green machine.

2. Itunes gift cards. These are always a hit with him as he has an ipod and ipad. Plus, it's an easy gift to ask our family who lives out of state for.

3. Movie tickets. He loves to get movie tickets and this is an easy gift for him to ask family members for.

4. Furby. He really wants the new furby. It might be a bit young for other kids in this age group though, but he's pretty adamant he wants it.

5. iPod Docking Station. My sister rec'd an iHome docking station last year for Christmas and he's wanted one ever since.

6. A football jersey and other sports clothes. He's really starting to get into sports and favorite teams now, so he's asked for a few sports clothes. And he wants a football jersey as they wear uniforms at school, but have a couple of "special" days where they are allowed to wear sports jerseys. Otherwise I think he would be content with just the sports shirts and sweatshirts.

Thanks for all the great ideas:)The Itune gift cards is a great idea for his aunts and uncles!Ds has gone to physical thearpy for 7 years and is not very coordinated,he has a razor scooterI found one with a bigger base but is still cool:)We where thinking of the huffy green machine but I didn't know if ds would be to big for it,he is already 5'1 but super skinny 73lbs.Does your son like his?Dh thinks it will just sit in the garage.

Tickets for events (concerts, movies, bowling, sporting, local places like rock climbing, laser tag, etc.)

Coupons for things they can redeem like one week of no chores, ice cream for dinner night, get of out school for a day, out to lunch with mom or dad alone, etc.

Snack/food related items that are for them alone, to share or not as they like.

LOVE the coupon idea especially ice cream for dinner!!!!!:thumbsup2He wants to try lazer tag so that is a graet idea! Maybe I could make up a certificate that allows him to go with a few friends:)

Is there some sort of class he has always wanted to do but never did? Or could you wrap up your Park District class guide and let him pick an activity? I used to do that with my brother in law when he was 10-13. I pretty much refused to spend money on video games, and this allowed me to give him a gift he liked. Of course I would also drive him to the activity he picked.

He picked some things I would have NEVER imagined he would want to try. Of course mulitple times he picked sports, but he also took a foods class (cooking) and a ceramics class. Never would have guessed this kid would have enjoyed those classes. After a while this became my standing gift, and he knew it so he would pick out his classes in advance.

The only time it came back to bite me in the rear was when he picked an Archery class that was on Saturday morning at 7 am.

DD9 (soon to be 10) is getting a camera for her birthday. She loves nature and is constantly borrowing mine & my dad's cameras on hikes.

She'll also probably be getting a 4th gen. Touch for Christmas. She has my hand-me-down 2nd gen one after I got a 4th gen last year, and can't play a lot of the newer games on it.

Is her into anything in particular besides legos? I don't have boys, but I know Nerf stuff is always big, lol.

You know he loves making little videos(we don't let him post them on youtube even though he really wants to) But maybe with a small video camera he can make mini movies and share with family and friends:idea: His birthday was in June and 90% of his gifts where nerf, he was thrilled.He is crazy about star wars and I cant believe I'm typing this but we are planning our first family disney trip for star wars weekend!!!!!!!We had booked a trip aug.2011 but things happened and we had to cancel, because of that we dont want to tell our boys until closer to May.Sorry just had to spill the beans to someone:)

He's getting older and might like to redecorate his room?
New comforter set for his bed, new pictures for his wall, beanbag chair

We just did his room a whole space and planets theme.However I really love the beanbag chair idea:thumbsup2We are trying to encourage our boys to play in the finished basement where all of their stuff is!!!!!!!!!!We just put a tv down there and the wii so maybe with kid friendly seating my living room will stay clean:cool1:Where can you find beanbag chairs?

Hi,

My DS 11 has mentioned several times he is interested in one of those pull up bars that install in your doorway. I think he plans to practice for the presidential fitness test?? :)

Is there some sort of class he has always wanted to do but never did? Or could you wrap up your Park District class guide and let him pick an activity? I used to do that with my brother in law when he was 10-13. I pretty much refused to spend money on video games, and this allowed me to give him a gift he liked. Of course I would also drive him to the activity he picked.

He picked some things I would have NEVER imagined he would want to try. Of course mulitple times he picked sports, but he also took a foods class (cooking) and a ceramics class. Never would have guessed this kid would have enjoyed those classes. After a while this became my standing gift, and he knew it so he would pick out his classes in advance.

The only time it came back to bite me in the rear was when he picked an Archery class that was on Saturday morning at 7 am.

Great idea!!!I have always choosen or guided him towards certain activities so letting him pick would be fun and interesting to see what he chooses:)If its at 7 in the morning then dh could take him and that would be dh's gift to me:thumbsup2

For the teachers, etc., Target GCs. I like Target because they often have Starbucks in there and you can use the card there. And even if you don't like target, you can get toilet paper or some other necessity there. Whatever denomination, even small, generally appreciated.

Re your son,
* clothes
* camping stuff if he likes that -- sleeping bag, tent, etc.
* sport stuff -- soccer ball and cleats, fishing rod, archery set, volleyball, badminton set, snowboard, etc.
* bike/scooter/roller blades (all with safety gear)
* art stuff if he likes that -- paints, sketch pad and pencils, etc.
* camera with a how to book or class
* tickets to local events or courses he might like -- martial arts, behind the scenes stuff at local venues, etc. Kind of the experience gift.
* books -- even if he is not a great reader, there are some fantastic graphic novels. I know Geronimo Stilton books are hugely popular with the local 9YOs so might be about right. Maybe time for Harry Potter!
* GCs for things he likes -- iTunes, local ice cream place or fav restaurant, bowling alley, movie theater, etc.
* hexbug -- the kids seem to really dig those

We just did his room a whole space and planets theme.However I really love the beanbag chair idea:thumbsup2We are trying to encourage our boys to play in the finished basement where all of their stuff is!!!!!!!!!!We just put a tv down there and the wii so maybe with kid friendly seating my living room will stay clean:cool1:Where can you find beanbag chairs?

Depending on how much you want to spend you can find them at places ranging from Walmart to Pottery Barn.

Okay for a 10 year old boy besides Legos, that is a toughy.

Xbox 360 with Kinect
Basketball hoop or other sports equipment
Skateboad, scooter or new bike
Lego Mindstorms robot kit (if he is into Legos, robots and computer programming this is perfect).
Kindle or other electronic reader
Favorite pro sports team clothes (jerseys, hats, coats)
Tickets to an event
A puppy :rotfl:

My son who will be 9 in a few weeks is WAY into sports and wears jerseys almost every day of the week, mainly football and basketball. Lots of boys his age at school wear them too.

For his bday he asked for the new Nerf 'Hail Fire' gun, jerseys, itunes card, and a few specific lego sets.

Both of my boys are always WAY into sports equipment and are always asking more. Apparently you can never have too many footballs, basketballs, baseball bats etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter