Christmas fares...will they ever go down??

vbarry

DIS Veteran
I have been looking for airline tickets during the week of Christmas. I am getting fares from $500-$800 round trip. Will they ever go down???

Delta went down today. I have been looking for the second wek of Dec and for the last two weeks it was $749 per person. Today is dropped to $439. Still way more then what we have paid for in the past.

We will be flying to FL 12/24 - 1/2 and I booked our NWA flight from Indy about a month ago since it was a fair price. However, my sister's family is coming from CT and we still haven't found a good price.
Right now JetBlue is only open thru 10/31 and SW plans to open thru Oct on 4/17. So, we are playing the waiting game. :rolleyes1
IMHO I think most airlines won't come too far down in price until the discount carriers start releasing their rates. For our Dec trip that looks like we will be left hanging until almost June :sad2:
Not the way we want to play this game, but hoping it works out in the end. Meantime, I read the transportation thread every day. I signed up on most airlines airfare watcher email lists and downloaded SW's DING program.
Here's hoping for the best for our :santa: trips!!

We just booked for 12/24 - 1/2 on airtran direct from boston, and got slammed to the tune of $450 per person for four of us....never mind what i am paying on usairways in three weeks for april vacation....between this and the price of gas, i am about to tell my kids they are getting a disney trip for christmas and not much else:scared1:

Airtran for 12/24 and 1/2 was $209 each way, nonstop, middle of the day times. I personally don't think that was a terrible price for Christmas week. United, Delta and USair were less at times over the last few weeks, but none of those were non-stops. Most of the cheaper Untied flights were at 6am and having to return from Tampa. I don't mind Tampa, but not for a 6am flight!

I know I'm paying extra for a non-stop, but I'm also glad that I didn't wait for jetblue or southwest. I teach so I can't be at my computer the day they release SW fares. Any good rates would be gone by the time I get to them. As far as jet blue, forget about vacation weeks. I prefer to fly them, and they usually have the best deals, but not on school vacation weeks. I have watched them for the last year and their vacation week fares usually start at $299 one way and never come down.

I missed 1/2 release on Airtran this weekend. I was away at my mom's and didn't get to the computer to check. They came out for $125 one way, but by the time I got to it, those fares were gone.:headache:

We just booked for 12/24 - 1/2 on airtran direct from boston, and got slammed to the tune of $450 per person for four of us....never mind what i am paying on usairways in three weeks for april vacation....between this and the price of gas, i am about to tell my kids they are getting a disney trip for christmas and not much else:scared1:

I bet ONE season ticket to your favorite team could cover the cost of the flight......why don't you give your kids the choice....Dad's ticket vs Christmas gifts....hmmmmm:scratchin

are your dates flexible? I know I added a few days to our trip last Christmas to get cheaper fares. We flew SouthWest from Cleveland to Orlando for $322 total for 3 people!:woohoo: it was definitely worth changing dates a bit :yay:

I have been watching flights back ( 1/2or 1/3) from MCO to NY for over a month and they all very high. I am NOT confident that JB or SW are going to offer any bargain with oil at 105 a barrel. There is a lot less capacity and seats are going to cost more. A some point I am going to have to bite the bullet.

JB has been been a bargain over Christmas.

I have been watching and waiting myself. We're going 12/18-12/23. Airtran for IND to MCO has been over 200 pp each way. Last week, the non stop flights from MCO to IND on 12/23 dropped to $88, so I booked our trip home. Still waiting on something reasonable for the flight down. Maybe someone else can use these, too.

Delta went down today. I have been looking for the second wek of Dec and for the last two weeks it was $749 per person. Today is dropped to $439. Still way more then what we have paid for in the past.

Without knowing exact dates and locations... it's hard to say.

I have been watching and waiting myself. We're going 12/18-12/23. Airtran for IND to MCO has been over 200 pp each way. Last week, the non stop flights from MCO to IND on 12/23 dropped to $88, so I booked our trip home. Still waiting on something reasonable for the flight down. Maybe someone else can use these, too.

NWA has a one-way, non-stop on 12/18 for $110. You didn't say what a 'reasonable' price range was. :confused3 HTH

(we pd 219 for our RT on NWA)

Good Luck!

That seems reasonable to me. As long as I can get rt for 200pp, I'm happy. it's a bit more than driving, but worth the extra to not drive!

I am trying to fly out of Bloomington, Illinois or St. Louis on Airtran either 12/23 or 12/25. I will pay extra for the direct flights but I am not paying $700 round trip. Hopefully something will change. I am going to try Indy.

Did I read somewhere that Airtran would refund your money if your fare goes down or is that Southwest?

I have read that SW does that, but may have started charging a change fee now?

Just an FYI we are flying IND to MCO (and return) 12/24 - 1/2 and I paid $219/rt on NWA.com. The price has gone up since then, but if my return was the following Mon (5th) it goes back down to 219.

Good Luck!

I guess I will wait it out for SW for 12\21 to 1\2:headache: If I have to pay the big buck I prefer nonstop:rolleyes1 .

I am trying to fly out of Bloomington, Illinois or St. Louis on Airtran either 12/23 or 12/25. I will pay extra for the direct flights but I am not paying $700 round trip. Hopefully something will change. I am going to try Indy.

Did I read somewhere that Airtran would refund your money if your fare goes down or is that Southwest?

12/23 is going to be toughest. That's a busy travel day which reduces the need any airline to "give you a deal"

When's your return?

I believe AirTran will give a credit or refund BUT they charge you the change fee which is $75. So the fare has to decrease by MORE then $75 for you to see any cash

If you can fly SW wait until the day they release and then book IMMEDIATLELY. Don't wait on the "sale" You are going to Orlando at the single busiest time of the year. (if you need a rental car BOOK NOW, it's not unheard of for them to sell out!) This is a supply and demand thing and more people want to go to Orlando for Christmas meaning the airline is in the drivers seat of fares.

12/23 is going to be toughest. That's a busy travel day which reduces the need any airline to "give you a deal"

When's your return?

I believe AirTran will give a credit or refund BUT they charge you the change fee which is $75. So the fare has to decrease by MORE then $75 for you to see any cash

If you can fly SW wait until the day they release and then book IMMEDIATLELY. Don't wait on the "sale" You are going to Orlando at the single busiest time of the year. (if you need a rental car BOOK NOW, it's not unheard of for them to sell out!) This is a supply and demand thing and more people want to go to Orlando for Christmas meaning the airline is in the drivers seat of fares.

Would you happen to know the date of release? Thanks

I booked my rental car Sunday night with enterprise, the rep said they are completly booked for most of the Christmas holiday :scared1: and he was glad he could still help me. He also gave me the internet rate:flower3: he was very nice and helpful, this will be our first time using enterpise. We will be picked up at CR and I will return it to MCO.princess: Any tips?:rolleyes1

We purchased tickets from ORD to MCO for 12/25-12/31 for $279 pp on United. DH had enough miles to get 2 seats too! (we have 7 people going);) Merry Christmas kids!

I have been watching the fares and since we booked about a month ago the price is still the same.

When's your return?

We are returning 1/2. We will fly out 12/23 if the inlaws do not have a fit and 12/25 if they do! I know I need to know the day we are flying out but I have not seen any real good fares especially for non-stop.

Anyone know when SW will go on sale. I really wish that had the resort check in.

We are returning 1/2. We will fly out 12/23 if the inlaws do not have a fit and 12/25 if they do! I know I need to know the day we are flying out but I have not seen any real good fares especially for non-stop.

Anyone know when SW will go on sale. I really wish that had the resort check in.

You need a decision NOW!

This is going to be a very very difficult period to get a deal on.

I am not sure when SW is opening but with this schedule do NOT wait on a sale. BOOK! I think you may have "missed your window" for the other airlines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter