Christmas Day Planning...Are the crowds really that bad?

akaDaddy

"Thanks Charming, but my daughter's got this."
I've read that the crowds are the worst ever on Christmas Day at the Magic Kingdom. OK I believe you, but is it packed full from rope drop until close?

My original plans were to ride the bus to the MK for rope drop, enjoy the morning with Fast passes for 10, 11 and 12 and eat lunch at Be Our Guest (1:00 pm ADR) and then leave the park and back to CSR and rest. Is this crazy?

If you've survived Christmas, give me a heads up about the crowd through the day....

Thanks

We have survived Christmas in MK, we are rope droppers we made rope drop a little later than we would have normally so the kids could open presents and we ended up at the back of the hoard not the front (bad idea). It was our last park day, we should have stayed at the hotel or left for home earlier. I will never do it again! We can say we did it but we can't say it was enjoyable, we were back at the resort by lunch, we packed and relaxed went to bed early to get ready for an early road trip home. I love DW and I think we should have checked out Christmas day and drove home. Sorry to be a downer. Christmas was on a Saturday and there seemed to be a lot of local one day guests besides all the people in the resorts.

It will be a hot mess regardless of what time you go on Xmas day. So many people hit rope drop because it's common knowledge that the park is usually at capacity by 11-12.

I wouldn't say it's a TERRIBLE idea, but just realize that you won't be enjoying your day like you would a normal day.

1. I've read that the crowds are the worst ever on Christmas Day at the Magic Kingdom. OK I believe you, but is it packed full from rope drop until close?

2. My original plans were to ride the bus to the MK for rope drop, enjoy the morning with Fast passes for 10, 11 and 12 and eat lunch at Be Our Guest (1:00 pm ADR) and then leave the park and back to CSR and rest.

3. Is this crazy?

If you've survived Christmas, give me a heads up about the crowd through the day....

Thanks

1. Shoulder-to-shoulder crowds all day. The very early morning will be less crowded, but still extremely crowded.

2. The park will open at 7:00. You will need to be on the bus by 6:00. Staged closures will begin around 9:00.

How do you define enjoy?

3. Crazy is a relative term. Would I do it? Nope. I'd go to AK that day.

Park opens at 7am. Get there by 6:30am. Head directly to Tomorrowland. Nobody was there for the first hour. Ride Space multiple times.

Head to Frontierland for 8am (cause this is when it opens). Ride Big Thunder first and then Splash (if it's not too cool out).

We used our 3 fp's from 9am-12pm, because it was starting to get really crowded.

You've just got to get there really early and then get out of there by noon. We had an amazing time at MK last Christmas, and did lots of rides all morning. The hardest part was getting through the crowds on Main Street to leave.

We went back for fireworks in the evening. :thumbsup2 Awesome day!

My original plans were to ride the bus to the MK for rope drop, enjoy the morning with Fast passes for 10, 11 and 12 and eat lunch at Be Our Guest (1:00 pm ADR) and then leave the park and back to CSR and rest.

The one thing I want to mention is the lack of places open in the morning at MK to buy food at. Yes, there is Starbucks, but that place was slammed with people all day. You don't want to be getting into that line. Bring some snacks.

A 1pm lunch at BOG is cool on Christmas Day, but you will be cranky if you haven't eaten anything all day and you are actually eating closer to 2pm, because of the crowds or some sort of delay.

Places like CHH, Diamond Horseshoe, and Pecos Bill will open at 10:30am. I suggest you pick a place, and go there at opening and get a meal or two to share with your family. Those places fill up fast, but you will be in and out quickly if you get there at opening and eat something. Plus, it will give you a chance to rest in relative quiet, and you'll be hungry again when it's time for your BOG ADR.

That is our last day and our plan is to rope drop ak and leave by 1. Then resort time for a few hours we hope to go to mk by around 630 I believe that it will hav reopened by then just so I can say I was at mk on Christmas Day. Looking at last years wait times it dropped significantly by 9 pm to a regular crowded day :)

That is our last day and our plan is to rope drop ak and leave by 1. Then resort time for a few hours we hope to go to mk by around 630 I believe that it will hav reopened by then just so I can say I was at mk on Christmas Day. Looking at last years wait times it dropped significantly by 9 pm to a regular crowded day :)

Where can I find the wait times for last year?

Reading all of the input and advice with interest because we too are planning on a MK Christmas this year. We have been to WDW over the holidays but we didn't do a park on Christmas Day that year. We *did* spend July 4th at MK last summer and so I'm thinking it will be along the same lines as that?! We RDed on 7/4 and, while it was busy, it wasn't insanely so until later in the morning. We had a pleasant morning/early afternoon in the park, enjoying ADRs and FP+s plus a few bonus rides, and spent the rest of the day relaxing at our hotel and watching the fireworks from there. Overall, we had a really nice day. The most challenging part, as others have said, was leaving the park once the crowds had picked up. It was wall-to-wall people!

Anyway, our current game plan is to RD MK on Christmas morning. We hope enjoy a few rides at RD, have a late breakfast at CRT, do our FP+s, and then go to BOG for a light lunch/snacks before we had back to the hotel to relax. We have dinner ressies at the California Grill and will watch the fireworks from there. We are staying at the Contemporary and will walk to and from MK … I don't normally schedule 3 ADRs for one day but thought having set places to eat/sit down might be helpful on Christmas given the crowd levels.

We are excited about enjoying MK on Christmas morning! We know that it will be a crazy busy day at the park and are adjusting our plans and expectations accordingly.

I spent Christmas Day at Epcot in 2013. I booked a Candlelight 5pm dinner package, and lined my FP+ up so they would line up just before my ADR. I got to the park around 8:30 (was staying at YC) after having breakfast in my room, and somehow managed to stay one step ahead of the crowds all day. By the time I got out of the CP show, I grabbed a snack and found a spot for Illuminations.

I don't know if I would have been brave enough to try MK, but I knew that between the FP+ and CP, a big chunk of my time would be taken care of ahead of time and it worked out great.

i don't know if I am supposed to but easywdw had them on their website. Josh is amazing! between his website and touringplans.com I have arranged a pretty solid game plan

View attachment 107414

Thanks for the info on Christmas Day. Is there a link to these schedules for everyday or just Christmas?

I've read that the crowds are the worst ever on Christmas Day at the Magic Kingdom. OK I believe you, but is it packed full from rope drop until close?

My original plans were to ride the bus to the MK for rope drop, enjoy the morning with Fast passes for 10, 11 and 12 and eat lunch at Be Our Guest (1:00 pm ADR) and then leave the park and back to CSR and rest. Is this crazy?

Thanks
That sounds like a good plan. It will be empty at rope drop which will be at 7:00 am and it will start to get crazy right around 11:00.

We've survived Christmas! We first visited during Christmas in 2009 and knew NOTHING. We had been to Disney in July and fought the crowds, but never anything like this. BUT, we loved it so much that we went back again in 2010. After skipping in 2011 (we went to a wedding in Disney in 2012,) we returned in 2012, 2013, 2014, and will go again this year!

Your plan is not crazy - in fact, it's very similar to my family's plan. You can expect MK to open at 8am, with EMH from 7am to 8am. Every year we say that we're going to get there for morning EMH. While we certainly try, we usually get there for 7:40am and enjoy the last 20 minutes of EMH. When we arrive around 7:40am, Space Mountain is around a 20-minute wait. We jump on there and by the time we're done, the park is open to the public. Our FP+ for Christmas are different than the rides we'd normally target. My mom doesn't do coasters, and we like to be together on Xmas day and experience the attractions together. So, we'll usually do Space Mountain during morning EMH, and book FP+ for rides like Buzz Lightyear and Haunted Mansion or Pirates. My sister and i LOVE Thunder Mountain, so we always book a FP+ for that.

I'd recommend getting to MK for morning EMH. I would target rides like 7DMT, Thunder Mountain and maybe Buzz for FP+. I never book Splash Mountain because the weather is way too inconsistent. It can either be 50 degrees or 80!

So you'll enter the park around 7:30am. You'll get in one big ride (like Space Mountain. When we entered last year, 7DMT was already a 90-minute wait!) After, the park will be open to the public. Let's say you have a FP+ for 10am. I'd use this time to either grab a quick breakfast (we do, you may grab one at the resort.) After we eat, it's around 8:30am. At this time, you can see the wait times starting to creep up (as shown above.) The Jungle Cruise (named Jingle Cruise during Xmas) is around 30 minutes. We usually choose to wait. Jingle Cruise falls under the "cult following" category for rides at MK. It's not a thrill ride or the first ride you go to at Disney, but it'll see a huge wait time as the day progresses - usually 60-65 minutes - so 30 is good. After we finish on Jingle Cruise, it'll be around 9:15. We have some time to kill before our first FP+, so we head to Small World. The sign said 20 minutes, but we walk right on. We're done by ~9:45am and walk over to Thunder Mountain. At 10am, we ride Thunder Mountain. We're done by 10:20am and head to Haunted Mansion. Last year, Haunted Mansion was a 5-minute wait when we walked over. It was too good to pass up. We rode Haunted Mansion, and then went to redeem our FP+ for Buzz. After Buzz, we had a FP+ for Pirates. Pirates wound up being closed last year and we were unable to exchange them given the crowds - but you catch the gist.

So yes, you can get to MK and if you plan things correctly, you can get in a good amount of rides. We'll usually leave around 1 or 2pm. Last year, we had a late dinner, so we rode the monorail to Poly and ate at Capt. Cook's.

As far as the crowds go, here's what you'll experience:
EMH: A decent amount of crowds. More than you'd expect for EMH, but not too bad. Manageable wait times.
Rope Drop: You'll see a solid pickup in crowds, but I remember our first Christmas thinking I was lied to. The crowds were NOT BAD at all, and the ride wait times are still manageable.
10am: This is when you start to see the crowds pick up. My theory is that most families either spend the morning opening gifts or having breakfast together.
11am: Now the crowds are really noticeable. Fantasyland is hard to navigate, Main Street is shoulder-to-shoulder
12pm: By now, the ride wait times are astronomical. Unless you have a FP+, there's no use in staying at the parks. You can catch the show at the front of the castle, but otherwise there's not much to do.

As you can see, your plan WILL work. It's tried and tested by my family and definitely doable. We always say that we'll go to the park after dinner but never do. We usually call it an "early" night and sleep in the next day. After traveling on Xmas Eve and waking up early on Xmas, we're pretty tired.

Check out my free guide at survivedisxmas.com. I have a lot of tips and tricks for surviving your Christmas vacation!

We did it once and never again. Literally, crowds were shoulder to shoulder. Just walking anywhere was exhausting and it's difficult to keep track of your party. There are not only lines for rides but for bathrooms, food, buses, boats, anything and everything you might think of doing will have a wait. I always have Christmas week off. It'd be lovely to be able to go to WDW without having to use vacation time but every time I even consider it, I just think no freaking way.

We have gone to WDW the last 6 Christmas and New Years Eves. We also go every Easter Sunday.

Please do not let people scare you. We have never experienced a closure. I am sure they happen but if you plan right you will not have to worry about them.

The current park hours are 9am - 11pm. Now as the day gets closer they may extend the hours but at this moment they are not opening as early as usual. Keep an eye on the hours they will change up until the week before.

1. You need to get to the park 30-45 minutes early.
2. Head to tomorrowland and ride everything - you will not hit crowds yet.
3. An hour later head to frontier land and ride BTMRR. Do not use your FP+ in the morning, its a waste.
4. Leave the park at noon and have lunch back at your hotel.
5. Relax and have some fun family pool time or whatever
6. Head back to the magic Kingdom at 6pm. Make your fast passes for 6,7,8. Do the mine ride at this time with a FP+.
7. After you ride you FP+ rides find a spot and watch the parade. Make your last FP+ in frontier land. That is the best place to watch a parade with less crowds.

Relax and don't stress about the crowds. It will be busy but manageable if you don't try to run out as soon as the parade is over. Wait a little while. Hit smaller rides like country bears and enjoy the holiday.

A 1pm lunch at BOG is cool on Christmas Day, but you will be cranky if you haven't eaten anything all day and you are actually eating closer to 2pm, because of the crowds or some sort of delay.

From my holiday experience at BOG is it actually one of the few places that runs very accurate on reservations. If you pre order your meals online you will quickly be seated and receive your meal within a short time. We ate at BOG on Easter Sunday this year and we were seated on time and had our food within 15 minutes.

We weren't at MK on Christmas day itself last year, but were there between Christmas and New Year's when it reached the first phase of closure. The park opened at 7 and everything was basically a walk on until 9 am. Then things started to pick up and by 10 it was packed. we stayed until about 1 to use our FP but there wasn't much else we could do. We rode the train to kill time and actually had to wait until the 5th train before we could get on! If you can get there before 7, I like your plan. If not, I would pick a different park for that day. We were at AK and it stayed very quiet until between 11 and 12 and then it, too, was packed. I think a lot of people slept in that morning or were busy opening gifts etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter