Christmas at Universal - Help me choose a day

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums' started by bugaler, Dec 2, 2012.

1. bugaler

bugaler Earning My Ears

We will be arriving in Florida December 27th and leaving January 3. We need to pick a day to go to Universal. We are also planning on going to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot while we are in Florida. I know it is probably the WORST time to go to the parks but it was the only way we could go and the kids wouldn't miss any school. Can anyone give me an idea of how busy it will be and what the best day to go might be? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. macraven

macraven <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><marquee><font co

wednesday, january 2nd will have less crowds than the dates in december that you listed.

early january still has crowds but nothing compared to the crowds from christmas thru new years day.

4. cvjw

cvjw DIS Veteran

Our neighbors went to IOA at the end of December last year, and the wait for Harry Potter was over 3 hours. They tried all day to find the line shorter, and finally just had to wait for the ride - they didn't want to leave without riding it. They were at the park from open to close, and spent most of the day in lines.

We went to IOA the next week (1st week of January), and the wait time for Harry Potter was like 20 minutes. My boys rode it 3 times in less than an hour.

What a difference a week can make.

5. Metro West

Metro West <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue> Moderator

All local parks are jammed packed that week so there's no best or worst day to go...they are all bad. We call that week "Holiday Hell Week" so just be ready for LONG lines and waits for everything. Disney, SeaWorld and LegoLand will be just as crowded...there's no place to hide.

6. RMulieri

RMulieri DIS Veteran

it will be packed and that week and possibly close to capacity

7. backinoz

backinoz Mouseketeer

Have you thought about spending one night at an on site hotel? Then you'd get the FOTL access the day of your stay, and the day after, plus the extra hour to do WWOHP before it opens to the general public.

Loving the DISBoards App on my iPhone :-D

8. goofyfigment

goofyfigment DIS Veteran

Ill be braving the crowds with you!

9. Metro West

The problem with staying onsite that week is still the crowds. Yes...Express will help with the lines but there will still be wall to wall people everywhere. Finding and place to eat will be difficult because of the lines as well as waiting to use the restroom...seriously. This is one week where onsite will only help you a little.

10. bugaler

bugaler Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info. We know it will be crowded but unfortunately my husband works for the school system so this is when we can go. We just want to make sure that if we spend the $400 to get into the park that we will get a chance to see Harry Potter. We don't care as much about the rides as the experience - especially buying a wand. We plan on being there 1 hour before park open to wait in line to get in and then will go straight there.

11. Metro West

Good luck to you...I hope you have a good time! :thumbsup2

12. goofyfigment

goofyfigment DIS Veteran

Im at ioa now and the crowds are about equivalent to july crowds. So far we done everything except harry potter and we got here at 9. Not bad in my eyes

13. Metro West

Right...the crowds don't arrive until Wednesday. Come back Wednesday and tell me the crowds aren't bad. ;)

14. goofyfigment

goofyfigment DIS Veteran

Ill be back on the 27 and 28th. I just left now and the crowds are really starting to pick up

15. Metro West

I might go over for a little while tomorrow morning but I'll be gone by lunch time. I did Holiday Hell Week once and never again!

16. goofyfigment

goofyfigment DIS Veteran

Is it worse than halloween horror nights hell week

17. Metro West

Let me put it this way...this week is the busiest week of the year. Both parks will be jammed...HHN crowds can't hold a candle to the crowds starting tomorrow.

18. bugaler

bugaler Earning My Ears

Well we just found out that my daughter's fractured foot is not completely healed and she will need a walking boot. Maybe this will help us out a little since she will be in a wheelchair to get around the park? I just want to have a good time with my kids on their first trip to Universal.

19. BrinkofSunshine

BrinkofSunshine DIS Veteran

Having a wheelchair doesn't grant any special privileges, it just means you're going to have the maneuver that wheelchair through a lot of people!

20. Metro West

When are you visiting? Crowds will definitely make a difference if using a wheelchair. If crowds are light, you shouldn't have any issues but if it's during a heavy travel period (like this week) you will have issues getting around the parks with the crowds. You might also look at the website to see any restrictions for riding with a cast. I don't know if a walking boot would be considered in the same category as a cast but it's always best to check.

http://www.universalorlando.com/Resort-Information/Accessibility-Information.aspx#Guest

21. A Mickeyfan

A Mickeyfan DIS Veteran

Last year I went from Christmas to New Years.. and the worst was on the 28th.. my birthday lol This year I will be checking in on the 28th and out on the 4th. I did it that way so I am still there for NYE, I can see the holiday decorations and shows at Universal and Disney, then also get some less crowded time before heading home on the 4th.