Christmas 2015 and still waiting on closing ....

anmay27

Mouseketeer
I've passed ROFR but now waiting for closing. I'm hoping to travel 12/26-01/02 .. I know I may be crazy but what do you think the availability is? I'd prefer my home resort of VWL but know I may have to wait list and get something else. I'd prefer not to split stay but also realistic. Losing hope we may close in time before the 7month mark. Is there any availability at VWL during this time period right now?

I think you might be able to get something, but I would not count on VWL.

VWL will likely be difficult even if you get into the system before 7 months out. Moreover, any other near park resort will be difficult at 7 months out. An additional problem youi have is your start date. May 26 will be 7 months out from Dec 26. What is going to happen is that openings that do exist wsill start disappearing for Christmas week beginning by no later than May 23 with start date of Dec 23, and by May 26, there could be nothing left for NYE. although chance for SSR, OKW or AKV Kidani

Last edited:
Sigh. Losing hope. I wonder if go earlier if that would make it better availability wise? I'm willing to leave as early as the 23rd and come home the 30th. This is why I bought at VWL, because I want to stay there so for other years I will definitely book at 11 months. I'd take other resorts BCV, BWV .. any 1 bedrooms. AKV does sound fun too for the kids, but it would limit how much we could go back to our room to get a midday break/nap in for my 4 year old. Thank you both for replying!

I would totally skip this year if my former inlaws hadn't already booked their trip to see the kids. Guess I'll have to "wing" it and pray my WL comes through or do a split stay. LOL (I bought a contract with banked points that have to be used by Feb 2016). Hey who knows maybe I'll be able to get a taste of all of DVC in one trip ;) lol so hoping I didn't just jinx myself by typing that.

Angela

I bet you can get in at SSR. Sadly, I highly doubt that VWL will be open for Christmas. We have friends that own at VWL and go at Christmas every year. It is one of the fastest booking DVC resorts at Christmas. I would guess the only thing at VWL will be 1 bedroom if anything.

Do you know anyone who currently has VWL points you could trade with to get it booked?

Last edited:

Thank you Sparrow for checking. No I'm the first to buy at VWL. I'll just hope that I close before the 7month window opens for that time period. Send some pixie dust my way :)

VWL is going to be hard to get any time from Thanksgiving on if you didn't book it at 11 months out. It is extremely popular for the holidays because of the decorations for Christmas.

Thanks Deb! Guess I'll just have to wing it this trip :) Just so excited to finally be going "home" and to hear those words.

It is extremely popular for the holidays because of the decorations for Christmas.

I agree. The nice thing is, though, that you don't have to be a guest there to go and enjoy the decorations. On our very first trip (we bought DVC at Bay Lake (b/c that's what was available and I didn't want AKL) before ever even going to WDW) we stayed at OKW with extended family, but took a day to check other places out. While at WL the cousins all took Photopass pictures under the gigantic tree, and it was highly enjoyable even though we weren't staying there.

I am definitely going to do a resort day and just lounge with the kids and my mom and then tour the different resorts. Here's hoping I can get the 1br for my time period. I'm a little flexible and can travel from 12/23-12/30 so I'm hoping that helps with the availability. I have always known I wanted to stay at VWL during Christmas which is why I bought there. Now I'm itching to add to BCV but am trying to hold off. LOL I only have so much vacation time a year. ;) With split stays, will they help you transfer everything over to the new resort? Just wanting to keep my options open.

Angela

If you do a split stay, they will move the luggage for you, so no worries there. As for availability at VWL, like the others have stated, the odds are low that you'll get more than a day or two. However, I'm a lot more sanguine about your chances of snagging some room at one of the DVC resorts, or at least no more than two resorts so you'd only have to transfer once. Best of luck to you!

Thanks Sleepy! :) Well even if I don't get VWL, I can live vicariously through the groupies until I am able to book 11 months out :)

Most nights for 1 bedrooms are still available around the Christmas timeframe - at least as of yesterday.
Many people are probably waiting for the 7 month mark and that's when what is left will disappear.
IMO VWL is probably the most beautiful resort when it's decorated for Christmas - none of the others come close.

Good luck if you are entered in the system before the 7 month window opens you probably have a decent shot of getting the 1 bedroom.

I have a studio for the 27th thru the 2nd and had to waitlist the 30th and 31st at the 11 month mark.

Thank you Circhead! Here's hoping I can get my account set up before then. I'd be happy at BCV or BWV too.

Angela

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter