Choosing Your Home Resort - What to Consider?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by DVC Mike, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Muhlenberg

Muhlenberg <font color=blue>Clues! We want clues! <br><font c

This is a good idea as well.

I THOUGHT we'd want to buy-in at BLT. We bought last August, and BLT wasn't for sale yet, so we bought at AKV. Although I wasn't "in love" with AKV, I'm very glad we did. At the time it saved us about $2,000 since the price was raised for BLT and they didn't have the incentives at the time. We've already had a 2BR stay at SSR, and my DD also had a studio stay at SSR. AKV is growing on me, style-wise...the more I see, the more I like. So while I THOUGHT my heart was at BLT, it's not anymore.

Your likes/dislikes may change over the years...what's important now, may not be so important in 10 or 20 years...life changes.

All the resorts are different, and I'm finding that I like many of them...so far! I guess we fall into the category...buy where you don't mind staying...since we don't really care where we stay (at least for the time being).

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. BEASLYBOO

BEASLYBOO <font color=deeppink>It's part of the charm<br><fo

You can request your UY at the time of purchase?

4. islandtimect

islandtimect DIS Veteran

Yes, when you buy from Disney.

5. BLTtinkerbell

BLTtinkerbell DIS Veteran

I just bought @ BLT and was told the UY is Feb. I would rather have Aug. Is it possible to switch?

6. BLTtinkerbell

"Keep in mind that if you have more than one home resort, all vacation points being used to make a reservation during the Home Resort Priority Period must be associated with that home resort. That is, you cannot combine points from multiple resorts to book one resort during the Home Resort Priority Period. You may combine all the points you have at all your home resorts and book any DVC resort only at the 7-month window."

Thank you for telling me this. That just helped me make up my mind to stay w/all my points @ BLT.

7. KAT4DISNEY

KAT4DISNEY Glad to be a test subject

If you haven't signed the contracts or are still in your period to recind the purchase then yes, you should tell your guide that you would like August. If you have closed on the purchase then you will not be able to have the contract rewritten and Disney cannot change the UY.

8. BLTtinkerbell

No I have not signed yet, I just received my paperwork today. We usually got to WDW in July, so that is why I am thinking of changing my UY. Right now my UY is Feb. I need to learn more about UY to help me decide the right thing to do.

9. KAT4DISNEY

Then yes, you will be able to change. Just call your guide and they will send out new paperwork.

HOWEVER - if you travel usually travel in July then August is the last UY that you would want!!!!! For UY you want to have one that will allow you to cancel a reservation and still be able to bank your points if necessary.

If you travel in July then a June or July UY will be best. February will even work out ok b/c you would have until Sept 30th to bank your points.

10. BLTtinkerbell

Thank you so much for the info. I have been trying to figure out the UY pros & cons. I will probably leave it at Feb.

11. KAT4DISNEY

Your welcome!

The UY you choose will really have an affect only in the instance that you need to cancel a reservation. A Dec (July 31 banking), Feb (Sept 30 banking), Mar (Oct 31 banking), Apr (Nov 30 banking), Jun (Jan 31 banking) or July (Feb 28th banking) UY would work out for you since the banking deadlines are currently 8 months after the start of your UY.

The other thing you might want to think about is if there are any other times you might decide to travel to WDW. Travel habits can change but I do think that a person should get a UY that they expect to be best for unexpected situations.

Just to try and help your understanding if you purchased an August UY but had a July ressie that you needed to cancel after March 31st then you would be unable to bank your points (b/c Aug has a March 31st banking deadling) and since August UY points expire on July 31st you might have anywhere from 4 months to only a few days to try and use your expiring points.

Personally - If I thought I would always travel in July for many years I would go ahead and switch my contract from Feb to either June or possibly July.

Our main UY is Oct b/c we like to travel in the fall, Dec and Spring. The 8 month banking window spans all of those timeframes so we have maximum flexibility should we ever need to cancel a reservation.

12. saintstickets

saintstickets DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info Kat on UY and the ramifications if you have to cancel a trip. We want to take a family trip each year at Thanksgiving and then a trip for just the wife and I at some other time. If I have understood you correctly, then a UY of Aug-Nov would be good for us? Thanks again.
    Bill B

13. KAT4DISNEY

Yes, those will work well for travel at Thanksgiving and easily allow you to bank the points if you had to cancel or at least provide you with several months to use the points before they expire. Then the other factor will be the other time you might travel with your wife.

Aug UY have a banking deadline of March 31st
    Sept UY have a banking deadline of Apr. 30th
    Oct UY have a banking deadline of May 31st

There are no Nov UY's.

14. XGrumpy1

XGrumpy1 DIS Veteran

Here's another consideration - MONEY! I had enough saved to buy another 100 points at AKV before the incentives went away. But not enough for BLT.

So AKV's was it.

I could have saved more, or not just only paid cash, but I did what was right for me.

15. DVC Mike

DVC Mike DVC & Photography for me! BLT/VGF/BWV DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Bumping an old thread from April 2009. I lightly edited post #1.

I think it still has some useful advice for those considering which home resort they should choose.

16. PacoDF

PacoDF Mouseketeer

Thank you!

What part did you edit?

17. DVC Mike

DVC Mike DVC & Photography for me! BLT/VGF/BWV DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Mention of VGF.

18. Disneylifeforme

Disneylifeforme Mouseketeer

Any word on when Poly will be available to purchase

19. Msmithmd

Msmithmd DIS Veteran

No.

It's anyone's guess. Mine is an initial on-sale window starting somewhere between fall 2014-fall 2015. But no one who actually knows anything is saying.

Save your dollars, it won't be cheap...

20. bakerworld

bakerworld DIS Veteran

After reading this I realize we began as buying where you wouldn't mind staying. Our son lives on room service and I enjoy concierge plus the great incentives induced us to purchase AK. We have since made additional purchases - one for DH and one for me. Pretty sure we're done. :lmao:

21. itutorfortravel

itutorfortravel I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addi

Would a June UY work well if we primarily travel to WDW at Christmas or in January?