chip n dale campfire with elderly parents

snoopy352

Mouseketeer
they will have scooters this year for the first time (knee issues but can walk if necessary), and we are wondering if we should lug the scooters with us on the bus as well as the "walk" to the campfire - is it scooter-friendly? advice welcome on whether to bring ECVs or leave them in the room. TIA

I would post this over on the camping board, you are apt to get more responses.

The bus system throughout Fort Wilderness is excellent, so I would definitely have them bring their scooters, since FW is very large and spread out. Plus, the scooters may be more comfortable for them to sit on then the provided seating at the campfire (which can also fill up...).

Terri

The bus drops you off pretty close to the campfire, but there is a wooden bridge to walk over. It is probably a 2 minute walk.

Look at the attached link which has a map of Fort Wilderness: http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/fortwilderness.htm

If you are coming to the Fort from another resort, you arrive either at the Outpost area (top right in the link) or the Settlement area (bottom left in the link). The Outpost area has a bus depot where external busses from the parks, DTD, etc. come in and you can transfer to an internal Fort-only bus. The Settlement area has a bus stop (also external-internal transfers) that comes in from Wilderness Lodge and a boat dock with traffic from MK, Wilderness Lodge, or the Contemporary Resort. If you drive in, you arrive at the Outpost.

However you get to the Fort, go to either the Settlement or Outpost bus stop and catch a YELLOW internal bus and get off at the loop 1400 stop. Note it is a small circle within a big circle of campsites. From the bus stop, take the first left along the big circle and approach the campfire/singalong area from the rear via the sidewalk that goes to the Comfort Station (showers and bathrooms). You can roll up and down the center aisle which is paved and directly in front of the movie screen. The big wooden benches set in several rows on either side have gravel on the ground. So your parents can roll down the center aisle, park and watch there (leaving room for people to walk) or park behind the rear aluminum bleachers and walk to whatever seats you want.

Some paths and approaches to the area do have the wooden bridges which an ECV might be able to pass through but the campfire rings where the wood burns on either side have a concrete walk around them but they are not connected directly to the paved center aisle with more concrete, only gravel. To roll in from the sides like that they would have roll around to the rear anyway.

So if they want to walk a short distance and park the ECV nearby, any approach will do. But if they want to roll all the way into the place where they can stay in the ECV the whole time, the 1400 way is a means of doing that.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
For sure the 1400 loop is the best option. When you enter the loop go immediately left and to the first comfort station on your left. There is a walking path leading to the comfort station, and just past it is a wider paved path (for Disney vehicles to get to the concession stand) which you can use. There are sometimes barricades up here (poles that make it too narrow for golf carts, but your scooter will fit through). This path will lead you straight into the area for the movie.

It is actually all quite visible and easy to see and follow once you make that first left entering the 1400 loop. Literally straight ahead.

For snoopy352 (the OP), I saw you posted this same question on the DISabilities forum here on the DIS. Be aware that some of the answers there are incomplete and/or incorrect.

For example, you can get from the paved center aisle to the paved campfire sidewalk by going behind the bleachers, past the Conestoga Wagon (the concession stand) and around behind the movie screen which is all paved sidewalks. If you attempt to go in a straight line from center aisle to either fire ring, there is gravel and it is a pain. But I wanted to tell you there is a way.

The most accurate answers to your questions are here on the Camping Community Board. I think the multi-generation trips and vacations are a great idea. I hope you have a good time. We love the Chip & Dale Singalong and Movie.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!