China: Enchanted China Meets Thread

We are hoping to go on the October 2016 ABD China tour but are worried about possible cancellations. The September 2015 trip only has 12 people signed up and the October 2015 has 14. If either of these trips are cancelled we will have to rethink our plans for 2016. I totally understand booking with Thomson given their automatic guaranteed departure. I think if ABD would guarantee their trips more people would sign up early. Even if ABD takes a loss on a few trips I'm sure their total profit overall would increase.

We are booked on the June 26, 2016 adventure. We will be traveling with our 10 and 13 year old DDs. Does anyone here have experience traveling with kids? Would love to hear your thoughts on the intensity of the schedule, junior adventurer activities and how much they remembered post trip.

My trip report from last year is floating around here somewhere. I took my then 9yo. He loved it and remembers pretty much everything. Your kids will do fine. Those are good ages for this trip. It's a full busy trip, but all the kids on our ABD did very well.

Funny there was only one junior adventure night activity - a Disney movie in Guilin (bet you can't guess which one!). But it followed a a big white elephant game that everyone participated in and even though it was a "junior adventurer" movie.. About half the adults stayed and watched.

When touring there weren't any particular junior adventurer only activities or any place where the kids and adults broke off into separate groups. I'd say that's a testament to how interesting and engaging the entire trip was.

If you have any specific questions let me know. My only word of advice if you haven't read any trip reports is think about whether you want to hold the pandas. If you do be prepared to pay the cost in cash.

Hi Kevin

I found your excellent trip report - thank you. It's very informative and has answered most of my questions. Your pictures are fantastic. We had been told about the Panda experience by others - a definite must do. It's expensive - but something that is unique and unforgettable. Can't take it with you, right? :)

Did you you go to Australia yet? I think I was chatting with you about that trip last winter. If so, how was it?

Monica

There is currently a moratorium on holding pandas due to a virus which has sickened pandas at other preserves in China. (More information can be found by googling panda deaths or looking on Trip Advisor.) We just completed the 6/14-25 Enchanted China adventure and were not offered the opportunity to hold the pandas.

There is currently a moratorium on holding pandas due to a virus which has sickened pandas at other preserves in China. (More information can be found by googling panda deaths or looking on Trip Advisor.) We just completed the 6/14-25 Enchanted China adventure and were not offered the opportunity to hold the pandas.
:sad1:

Sayhello

How disappointing! Thanks for letting us know. We will have to keep our eye on any new developments.

How was your adventure? We are considering going around the same time next year and I would love to hear anything you would like to share.

We are hoping to go on the October 2016 ABD China tour but are worried about possible cancellations. The September 2015 trip only has 12 people signed up and the October 2015 has 14. If either of these trips are cancelled we will have to rethink our plans for 2016. I totally understand booking with Thomson given their automatic guaranteed departure. I think if ABD would guarantee their trips more people would sign up early. Even if ABD takes a loss on a few trips I'm sure their total profit overall would increase.

We are booked for the October 2016 trip. Like you, I wish there was a guaranteed departure, but with 14 already signed up (we are a group of 3 adults) I have every confidence that that the trip will go, especially with how much time before the deadline.

How disappointing! Thanks for letting us know. We will have to keep our eye on any new developments.

How was your adventure? We are considering going around the same time next year and I would love to hear anything you would like to share.

I would say Cousin Orville's trip report is a great reference (spot on and very

Oops, I inadvertently hit the post button when trying to edit (gotta love posting from an iPhone!)

What I was trying to say is Cousin Orville's trip report is an extremely valuable reference on what the trip is like. There are slight itinerary differences but nothing material except the panda holding.

In regards to the experience, I have very mixed feelings. I am a very independent traveler, however I knew China was not somewhere I wanted my family to go "on our own." I had a specific list of things to see and this itinerary hit them all. I wanted to ensure the guided tour lectures would keep the interest of my 10 y.o. daughter, as this trip was for her (she was born in China). The trip absolutely met these objectives.

Now for the "mixed part". I like to "see and do everything" and have plenty of time for pictures and soaking up the atmosphere. Due to the length and scope of the trip (6 cities, often 45-90 minute bus rides between airports, hotels and attractions) there was a lot of time spent in transit for (often times) very little time at the attractions themselves. This seemed fine for the majority of the group, just not my family.

I freely admit I am a schedule/control freak. That said, I felt the management of the group was just adequate (lots of "hurry up and wait" and repeat offenders delaying the group's progress.) Also the daily schedule could have been communicated more clearly. The lack of communication presented a challenge for us due to the combination of oppressive heat and humidity along with the uncertainty of adequate bathroom facilities......

I would be glad to share more specifics offline if anyone is interested. Not sure how to do that without posting personal information, though. (I'm an avid reader of message boards, but as you can probably tell from my goof up not an experienced post-er!)

We are booked for the October 2016 trip. Like you, I wish there was a guaranteed departure, but with 14 already signed up (we are a group of 3 adults) I have every confidence that that the trip will go, especially with how much time before the deadline.

Are you traveling in 2015 or 2016? There are only 5 signed up for the October 2016 trip.

I just called ABD to find out the status of the fall 2015 and fall 2016 trips to China. The September 2015 trip has 10 guests and is guaranteed. The October 2015 has 18 guests but is not yet guaranteed but probably will not be cancelled. September 2016 has 2 guests and October 2016 has 5 guests signed up so far. I am relieved to see that the September 2015 trip is going despite having 10 guests.

We went to Australia with only 10 guests and 1 guide. It was great traveling with a small group.

Distravel - we are signed up for October 2016. I was told there were five people already signed up before us, but maybe I misheard. It'll be myself, my DH and his Mother. It's going to be a long wait, but we are so excited!

Distravel - we are signed up for October 2016. I was told there were five people already signed up before us, but maybe I misheard. It'll be myself, my DH and his Mother. It's going to be a long wait, but we are so excited!

My husband, my mother and I also plan on traveling with ABD to China in October 2016. Will wait a few months to sign up. We plan on going back to Shanghai after the tour is over so I don't think the Disney travel insurance will cover that part of our trip. Since we want preexisting conditions covered we will need to get the insurance within 14 days of our deposit for the trip and I am not sure of our plans yet.

Looking forward to meeting your family. :)

My husband, my mother and I also plan on traveling with ABD to China in October 2016. Will wait a few months to sign up. We plan on going back to Shanghai after the tour is over so I don't think the Disney travel insurance will cover that part of our trip. Since we want preexisting conditions covered we will need to get the insurance within 14 days of our deposit for the trip and I am not sure of our plans yet.

Looking forward to meeting your family. :)
If you haven't already, check out www.tripinsurancestore.com. It's a great resource for researching outside insurance! There's another great site, but they didn't want links to their site on the DIS...

Sayhello

If you haven't already, check out www.tripinsurancestore.com. It's a great resource for researching outside insurance! There's another great site, but they didn't want links to their site on the DIS...

Sayhello

Thanks for the information. I will check them out when we know the details of our trip. I have used Disney's insurance and also Insure my trip site before.

I would be glad to share more specifics offline if anyone is interested. Not sure how to do that without posting personal information, though. (I'm an avid reader of message boards, but as you can probably tell from my goof up not an experienced post-er!)

Hello. I have read Cousin Orville's excellent report. Even so, I would love to hear the specifics, especially from someone who has returned recently. I will be travelling with 2 girls of similar age to yours and am concerned about food, bathrooms, etc. I will send you a Private Message. You'll see it in your inbox. Thanks!

SMH1168 - I tried to send you a message, but I could not. I think you need to have a minimum of 10 posts before I can do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter