Children with special needs sailing on Royal carribean how are there programs

Bob Ehring

Earning My Ears
We have been on several cruises with our son that has Down syndrome. He is 9. Does anyone have any comments on there kids clubs especially related to special needs children? On NCL the age group that he is in, the activities are not appropriate for him. Socially and ability wise. And he cannot age down 2 groups to be with children that are 4-5 that do things that he is able to do. And appropriate supervision. Any thought would be great

I don't think you'll find things much different on RCL...the kids clubs are grouped by age and depending on the sailing they might combine age groups, but I've never seen them combine children who are 8-9 with 4-5. While your child may be most comfortable doing the activities of that age group, parents who do not know you or your child may not be comfortable having a child 4-5 years older than their own in the same group as their own.

If your child has special needs I would suggest contacting RCL directly and asking what they can offer on the specific ship you are sailing on.

We have been on several cruises with our son that has Down syndrome. He is 9. Does anyone have any comments on there kids clubs especially related to special needs children? On NCL the age group that he is in, the activities are not appropriate for him. Socially and ability wise. And he cannot age down 2 groups to be with children that are 4-5 that do things that he is able to do. And appropriate supervision. Any thought would be great
While it doesn't fit exactly, RCL is the only cruise line that has been certified as Autism friendly:

"Autism Friendly Certification is awarded by Autism on the Seas to cruise lines for their efforts to ensure their products and services are accessible for inclusion and participation by the autism and developmental disability community."

I don't think you'll find things much different on RCL...the kids clubs are grouped by age and depending on the sailing they might combine age groups, but I've never seen them combine children who are 8-9 with 4-5. While your child may be most comfortable doing the activities of that age group, parents who do not know you or your child may not be comfortable having a child 4-5 years older than their own in the same group as their own.

If your child has special needs I would suggest contacting RCL directly and asking what they can offer on the specific ship you are sailing on.
Thanks.

While it doesn't fit exactly, RCL is the only cruise line that has been certified as Autism friendly:

"Autism Friendly Certification is awarded by Autism on the Seas to cruise lines for their efforts to ensure their products and services are accessible for inclusion and participation by the autism and developmental disability community."
I did see that as well. He does have some autistic tendencies. Doesn't like loud noises, he would prefer to just sit and play by himself. Thank you for the reply.

We are taking our special needs daughter on a cruise in 3 weeks. I contacted the RCCL Access Department and am working with them. Everything from bedding and electrical needs to feeding and access to the kids clubs. They will work with you. We are bringing a nurse with our daughter and I expect her to go to the kids clubs, as well to help her enjoy the experience. I would definitely fill out the form that you will find in this link: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do and also call the special needs number: (866) 592-7225. Hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise!

We are taking our special needs daughter on a cruise in 3 weeks. I contacted the RCCL Access Department and am working with them. Everything from bedding and electrical needs to feeding and access to the kids clubs. They will work with you. We are bringing a nurse with our daughter and I expect her to go to the kids clubs, as well to help her enjoy the experience. I would definitely fill out the form that you will find in this link: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do and also call the special needs number: (866) 592-7225. Hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise!
Great information. Thank you.

We took our then, 9 yo special needs daughter in January of 2016 (she has cognitive delays, is socially immature, wears hearing aids and glasses). She loved DCL, but LOVED RCCL. On the final day before we departed, they did a talent show where all of the kiddos got a medal and much applause. RCCL believes that everyone deserves first prize. I have never seen her smile quite as much. They only down side, as I have said before, is that they close at weird times, where DCL is open virtually all the time. That was tough for her because she had experienced DCL and did not get it at first. They also provided me with a phone similar to DCL's in room portable phone so they could contact me. HTH

:sunny::sunny:

Thank you very much, that is great info. Our son, who is 9, is also socially immature. No behaviors or anything. He likes to play alone. And really just needs supervision. He really does not like to participate in a lot of group activities. Usually the issue we have is unless he can participate in the group activity, he cannot attend the kids camps during that time frame. And as he gets older, more of the time is aloted to things that would require one on one assistance or are not appropriate for his mental age, which is about 4.

They were wonderful with her...at almost 10 her best friend is a 5 year old neighbor. I think he will do amazing. I really liked RCCL's kids club and so did she!

I have checked it out SevenWonkas, but this is a paid service, is it not?

They just offer free pamplets for most cruises. All other cruises have to be booked through them for their staff to be on the boat and help. Not every RCL or DCL cruise has them just a handful a year.

They are kind of like an special needs travel agency. Anything they are able to get you, you can get yourself by contacting the cruise lines yourself including the separate muster drill. You can email or call your cruise line and work with them directly.

Last edited:
They just offer free pamplets for most cruises. All other cruises have to be booked through them for their staff to be on the boat and help. Not every RCL or DCL cruise has them just a handful a year.

They are kind of like an special needs travel agency. Anything they are able to get you, you can get yourself by contacting the cruise lines yourself including the seperate muster drill. You can have to email or call your cruise line and work with them directly.
The difference on RCL is that their youth activity staff have been trained and certified for providing services to special needs children. If you email their special needs department ( special_needs@rccl.com )and let them know what your specific needs are, they will make sure their activity staff are prepared for you when you board.

The difference on RCL is that their youth activity staff have been trained and certified for providing services to special needs children. If you email their special needs department ( special_needs@rccl.com )and let them know what your specific needs are, they will make sure their activity staff are prepared for you when you board.

That isn't just for autism on the seas though right? Anyone can email special needs department for any Royal Caribbean cruise no matter who they booked. That was what I was trying to point out. Sorry that it was no clear.

The first part of my original post was in regards to Autism on the Seas staff who only travel on specific sailings not RCL's own staff who are also trained and do their best to integrate all into activities.

That isn't just for autism on the seas though right? Anyone can email special needs department for any Royal Caribbean cruise no matter who they booked. That was what I was trying to point out. Sorry that it was no clear.

The first part of my original post was in regards to Autism on the Seas staff who only travel on specific sailings not RCL's own staff who are also trained and do their best to integrate all into activities.
Yes, you can contact that department for any special needs. We've been on cruises where the Autism on the Seas staff were on board, and also on cruises where the activity staff provided the services. In both cases, they were very engaged with their children.

We sailed on Majesty of the Seas in July with and found that the Autism on the Seas program was nothing more than an advertising campaign. They may have been 'aware' but regulations prevented them from doing anything different than they would do for every other child.

Our son was required to participate only with his age range, 6-8 year olds, even though their activities consisted almost entirely of chaotic games where kids were running around screaming at each other. He could not move down one level to do the coloring and arts and crafts with the younger kids on his developmental level. They would not allow me to walk into the kids area with him, not even briefly to get him started. Our DD was with the 9-11 yo group (which she loved), and she wasn't allowed to walk him into his area or assist him in any way either. Neither could he join with her in the older age group. The staff were very nice and arranged for him to have coloring books and colors to use at a table at the back of his age area, but their regulations were completely inflexible regarding age ranges and access.

Next, I tried to arrange (paid) private 'babysitting' for a staff member to accompany him into the kids club one evening so we could enjoy the Chef's Table on our anniversary. At first they said it was an option, but no one was available even though we tried 3 days in advance. I know it sounds like we kept trying to dump him, but he REALLY want to go in with the other kids, but then at the last minute he would change his mind and refuse to walk in alone, and then he would cry when his sister stayed and he left with us... and of course DD kept wanting to go back. :sad2:

Finally, one evening during paid after hours the 6-11 year olds were combined, so he and his sister could enter and stay together. He was so happy to be a part of it, but only because we could finally fit his needs into their standard offerings. The staff were very nice, attentive and wanted to help, but there were no accommodations allowed per RCL regulations.

We sailed on Majesty of the Seas in July with and found that the Autism on the Seas program was nothing more than an advertising campaign. They may have been 'aware' but regulations prevented them from doing anything different than they would do for every other child.

Our son was required to participate only with his age range, 6-8 year olds, even though their activities consisted almost entirely of chaotic games where kids were running around screaming at each other. He could not move down one level to do the coloring and arts and crafts with the younger kids on his developmental level. They would not allow me to walk into the kids area with him, not even briefly to get him started. Our DD was with the 9-11 yo group (which she loved), and she wasn't allowed to walk him into his area or assist him in any way either. Neither could he join with her in the older age group. The staff were very nice and arranged for him to have coloring books and colors to use at a table at the back of his age area, but their regulations were completely inflexible regarding age ranges and access.

Next, I tried to arrange (paid) private 'babysitting' for a staff member to accompany him into the kids club one evening so we could enjoy the Chef's Table on our anniversary. At first they said it was an option, but no one was available even though we tried 3 days in advance. I know it sounds like we kept trying to dump him, but he REALLY want to go in with the other kids, but then at the last minute he would change his mind and refuse to walk in alone, and then he would cry when his sister stayed and he left with us... and of course DD kept wanting to go back. :sad2:

Finally, one evening during paid after hours the 6-11 year olds were combined, so he and his sister could enter and stay together. He was so happy to be a part of it, but only because we could finally fit his needs into their standard offerings. The staff were very nice, attentive and wanted to help, but there were no accommodations allowed per RCL regulations.

Unfortunate, but based on the ship, not all that surprising either. We haven't sailed on Majesty since her "upgrades", but the last time we were on her we found the kids club microscopic in size and facilities. One age group (not sure which one) looked like the play area was actually in the passageway at the back of deck 10, but every time we headed that way we had to step over and around toys in the passageway. Hopefully, you let RCL know that their service (at least on that ship) was not at all Autism Friendly

Checking back in after our cruise on Oasis! We ended up being so busy that we did not make use of the Kids Activities program for our Daughter. We were able to take her ice skating in her wheelchair 30 minutes before a regular ALL-SKATE session. It was FANTASTIC! The professional skaters from "Frozen in Time" (their ice show) skated her all around the rink doing cool maneuvers that made her laugh the entire time. We were very pleased with the entire event. Since we had a nurse we pretty much had her doing everything with us, unless she was taking a rest back in the stateroom. I highly recommend the Oasis of the Seas for a wonderful family cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter