Chh

antkim

<font color=teal>"Easy to love"<br><font color=dee
I have read lots of great reviews about CHH and really would like to try it next month. My question is specifically about fried shrimp and clam chowder...being from NE we can be a bit snobby when it comes to seafood LOL DH is really the food/seafood snob since he has a fishing boat and eats fresh catch a lot in the summer. For those that really enjoy these 2 menu items do they compare to the seafood we are used to in the Cape Cod/Maine area? Just curious! How about the fried fish basket? I have one son that love fish/chips and another that would eat tuna every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let him! LOL

Personally I think I am leaning towards the Broccoli peppercorn salad.

Thanks for you input. I am really looking forward to trying someplace new and the quiet upstairs dining sounds wonderful too!

Kim

Don't expect fresh New England seafood.

Not bad for fast food fare though.

I have read lots of great reviews about CHH and really would like to try it next month. My question is specifically about fried shrimp and clam chowder...being from NE we can be a bit snobby when it comes to seafood LOL DH is really the food/seafood snob since he has a fishing boat and eats fresh catch a lot in the summer. For those that really enjoy these 2 menu items do they compare to the seafood we are used to in the Cape Cod/Maine area? Just curious! How about the fried fish basket? I have one son that love fish/chips and another that would eat tuna every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let him! LOL

Thanks for you input. I am really looking forward to trying someplace new and the quiet upstairs dining sounds wonderful too!

Kim

No, not close, but about what you'd get at most places for the same things. I am from the Gulf coast (LA), and we too are pretty particular about our seafood.

Don't expect fresh New England seafood.

Not bad for fast food fare though.

LOL obviously I did not think it was going to be fresh NE seafood. I was simply asking for a comparison I guess. Most reviews rave about it which is why I asked.

No, not close, but about what you'd get at most places for the same things. I am from the Gulf coast (LA), and we too are pretty particular about our seafood.

So we are on the same page! ;) I think I will just suggest we eat here and not build it up to DH. He will be happy to have seafood probably since lots of choices are more burgers, pizza etc.

Thanks again

I am a Mainer...and I have had the chowder...its not bad at all...shrimp is sometimes good and sometimes greasy...
BUT do not go to the Cape May Buffet for dinner...cause it was not NE type of seafood that I was expecting..
Have fun and give it a try..

I am a Mainer...and I have had the chowder...its not bad at all...shrimp is sometimes good and sometimes greasy...
BUT do not go to the Cape May Buffet for dinner...cause it was not NE type of seafood that I was expecting..
Have fun and give it a try..

Funny you should say that because I have read lots of great reviews on Cape May also but one I read years ago was if you are from NE don't go because it is not the seafood you expect!

I am looking forward to it!

How do you feel about Long John Silver's? I'd say CHH and LJS are comparable. CHH may be better, but the two are not worlds apart.

I cringe when I see people here saying "We're from (fill-in a region famous for a particular dish here) and was wondering how the (famous dish) is in WDW?"

For that individual, the answer is: Not even close. That doesn't mean it's not good(for most people) but there's no way it will measure up to your hometown specialty.

BTW, I remember when you got the boat! What did you end up naming it?:)

Funny you should say that because I have read lots of great reviews on Cape May also but one I read years ago was if you are from NE don't go because it is not the seafood you expect!

I am looking forward to it!

Actually Cape May is one of the places that dh & I truly love. The crab legs are delicious, and we thought the clam chowder was very good. We've gone to Maine quite a lot and had seafood (mostly chowder and lobsters, of course) there and during our trip.

But, we just got back from Disney, and they changed the clam chowder to seafood chowder with shrimp, scallops, clams, and corn I think were most of the ingredients and it was thicker. It was good, but we really missed the chowder.

They asked us on the way out how our meal was, so told them we missed the chowder. They said it we had known, we could have asked our server for some, as that is their *base* for their new seafood chowder. Well, next time we'll know ;)

Kim

It's counter service in a theme park - set your expectations accordingly.

How do you feel about Long John Silver's? I'd say CHH and LJS are comparable. CHH may be better, but the two are not worlds apart.

I cringe when I see people here saying "We're from (fill-in a region famous for a particular dish here) and was wondering how the (famous dish) is in WDW?"

For that individual, the answer is: Not even close. That doesn't mean it's not good(for most people) but there's no way it will measure up to your hometown specialty.

BTW, I remember when you got the boat! What did you end up naming it?:)

Thanks for the replies guys...guess I won't expect much but enjoy anyway!

The boat was named after me of course! LOL Kimberly Ann!

CHH is above average fast food fair. I've never had the clam chowder but I'm pretty sure it can't compare to the chowder you can get in NE. IMO it is one of the better CS places in MK.

We love Columbia Harbor House especially a table by the window on the second floor overlooking Liberty Square. Food quality is a notch below say, Long John Silver's. Perfectly adequate for a theme park counter service.

It is something different for CS choices, which earns it a point or two. I think the comparison to LJ Silvers is fair, I like LJS and CHH!! Shrimp are good although not consistent in quality and size (I don't know why, but have definately noticed this, even when dining twice in the same week...), the Anchors Away tuna sandwich is yummy, just basic tuna salad done right, on NICE whole grain bread with lettuce and tomato. The Lighthouse hummus sandwich is interesting but very garlicky. The apple crisp is also pretty good!! Im 'going to try the chowder next time we are there. As you mentioned, the seating upstairs also earns this place an extra point or two, very neat!!

crab legs are just that crab legs..they had said on the menu that it was steamers too..so being a Mainer..I expected clams ..but they were little things that were smaller then my baby fingernail...they were tasty but not like clams from Maine...The chowder wasnt bad...and they had fried shrimp and some meat dishes...
I didnt mean to imply that the food was not good...but just not what I expected...would we go back...I dont think so...but not because the food wasnt good...

We too are from NE and lucky enough to have lots of fresh seafood choices.
DH likes the clam chowder at CHH a lot. He misses the chowder and 1/2 sandwich combo of years past a lot. We have not had the fried shrimp.
I love the tuna sandwich, such a tasty change for QS food.
It is, as the others have said, a QS restaurant in a theme park. But one of the better ones, in our opinion.

New Englander here! :wave:

I really like the fried shrimp at CHH. They are good sized and the breading is really crunchy. They serve a good cocktail sauce with it.

No, it's not like getting a paper bag full of hot, fried clams and looking out over the ocean, or putting on your plastic bib while sitting on a pier, cracking into a lobster....but it's good.

New Englander here! :wave:

I really like the fried shrimp at CHH. They are good sized and the breading is really crunchy. They serve a good cocktail sauce with it.

No, it's not like getting a paper bag full of hot, fried clams and looking out over the ocean, or putting on your plastic bib while sitting on a pier, cracking into a lobster....but it's good.

SUPER! I am hoping for the best but like we have all said it is a "welcomed change" from the typical theme park fare!

OK so while I am not a seafood fan (except when I was pregnant I CRAVED "lobstah" for some reason! LOL) but man sitting on a pier looking over the ocean sounds fabulous right now! HMMM Disney can replicate everything else so why not a pier overlooking the Atlantic in Maine?? I am partial to Perkins Cove in Ogunquit...anyone?

Kim

Don't forget a rum punch from Billy's when you are in Perkins cove!!

OOOHHH those are the best!! (if I remember correctly! LOL). I worked at Billy's for years as a teenager!! Still my favorite place to sit and enjoy a drink!

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter