Chewie, we're home... A May 2015 TR! Update 11/3

Amazing photos! May I ask what kind of lens you use?

Thank you! Those photos were taken on a Fujifilm X-T1 with a 35mm f/1.4 lens.

Joining in. Your photos are beautiful.

Thank you so much, and welcome! :)

I thought I was seeing things when I saw your TR pop up! I am so excited! I loved the TR video you did the last time but I am excited you're doing a TR again :goodvibes
I saw some of your pics on Instagram from your trip but it'll be great to read the report and find out more about how your trip went - I LOVE LOVE LOVE all your pictures, you take the most gorgeous photos! :love:
Sounds like your first day is off to a great start! A red eye and then straight to MK? No problemo! The things we do for Disney ;)
Can't wait to hear about how epic your day gets!

Hahaha, I was wondering how many people would be shocked by me posting a new TR! But a break was much-needed, though I'm very happy to be back on here again.

Thank you so much for the compliments!! We were having a great start to our day, and it really only gets better from there. :D

Day 1 - Part 2: I'm not a normal adult.

We headed down Main Street and were both excited when we finally spotted our friend Rachel and her family. She was with her Mom, daughter, and her sister, and it was their last day in the parks before they were leaving.

Just a little back story here: Rachel is actually a friend that I met through this very place, the DISboards, when I first started posting back in 2011. She and I were going to be in Disney World at the same time so she asked if I wanted to join her PhotoPass share she was running. We started talking and got along so well, we ended up meeting during our trips in January 2012 and that basically blossomed into a friendship between her, myself, and Matt.

image_zpstsr4wlde.jpg

Rachel actually joined us for the first 4 days of our trip last September (where the above photo is from) and we had an absolute blast with her. If you've watched my September trip video, you will recognize Rachel as she was in the video quite a bit. So yeah! It was really so nice to be able to see her again down in Disney World, even if for just a few hours.

We chatted with her and her family, telling them about our morning and talked about their trip a bit. Rachel's daughter Riley really wanted to go on Space Mountain and sit right behind me (because she'd heard of the infamous stories of my screams on Space), so that's where we were off to first. I was almost going to bail out on going on because I was starting to really feel the exhaustion set in, and the thought of Space Mountain wasn't super appealing to me, but I sucked it up because I couldn't disappoint Riley.

Luckily the wait time still wasn't bad so we got on super quickly and I screamed bloody murder. Absolute... bloody murder. And Riley thought this was pretty hilarious, haha.

After Space Mountain we kind of made a mad dash across the park for Splash Mountain, and of course Riley wanted to sit in the very front with me, haha. She and I got toooootally soaked, while everyone else somehow seemed to fare pretty well. But my bum was super wet, but at least it's kind of the norm to see people with wet bums around the park... uh, right?

After Splash Mountain, we were all kind of jonesin' for something special... so we headed over in the direction of Sleepy Hollow because I mean... Nutella Waffle, enough said.

IMG_5025_zpscbpic8i1.jpg

Listen, if you haven't had this yet, make it a point to get one during your next trip. They're absolutely amazing. I'm pretty sure Sleepy Hollow changed up their waffle recipe, but it's still really, really good. The fruit is always fresh and plentiful, they don't overdo it on the Nutella.... It's so good. We actually ate ours indoors to get out of the sun for a bit which was a good call.

The only downside to this was I got extremely full from the Waffle, and our next ride of choice were the Tea Cups.

Crowds had picked up a bit at Magic Kingdom, but we only had to wait about 10-15 minutes before we were on. Rachel and her fam were over in their Tea cup and I was laughing so hard at the look on Riley's face in this photo:

wdw2015day1-14_zpssre4rlzz.jpg

That kid gives a professional stink-eye right there.

The ride began and we started spinning, and I actually think I started spinning us first while Matt was taking video of me. I got us going pretty good... actually, too good, because my stomach wasn't feeling all the spinning and I got to "Oh sweet Jesus I'm going to actually vomit right now on Matt" level. Thankfully Matt slowed our Tea Cup down and I avoided puking all over him, Paul Rudd in "I Love You, Man"-style (if you haven't seen that movie, you really need to).

We left the Tea Cups and decided to shop for a bit because Rachel and her family needed to get ready to hit the road home. Matt and I decided to surprise Riley with a Duffy and Stitch costume, since she didn't have one yet and I mean... Duffy's kind of awesome. She was pretty happy about it and we figured he'd end up being a good companion for the drive back home.

Around this same time, I got a text saying that our room back at Old Key West was ready, which was perfect timing. Both Matt and I were absolutely exhausted and were thinking we'd have to go find a couch at the Grand Floridian to sit on (read: likely conk out on) until we got our text, haha, so this was definitely good news.

We walked out of Magic Kingdom with Rachel and her family and said our goodbyes. It was really good to see them all and spend some time with them! It's hard when your friends live far away from you, so it's really nice when you do get to see them... and even better, when you're in Disney World.

After a relatively quick ride on the bus back to OKW, we got off at the first stop to get to our room.

IMG_5028_zpshzjytbjz.jpg

With OKW, it's a pretty big resort, so when you book your room, you either book "near Hospitality House" or just general "stick me wherever there's availability." It used to be a request you could make, in terms of staying near the Hospitality House, but DVC changed it so you can actually specifically book a room near it... and we lucked out with a room right nearby.

Funnily enough, it was in the same building as the last time we'd stayed at Old Key West for a few nights. Our bags had been delivered to our room from the Magical Express already (or at least, I think they had), and we had Bell Services drop out carry-ons off, as well.

Guys, don't get mad but... I didn't get any room pictures. I know, I know, but at the same time, I figure if you really want to know what the rooms at OKW look like, you can go check out pictures/video on Google and YouTube, haha. That and I was so flat-out exhausted and running on fumes at this point that I forgot.

So you know... Most normal adults would take this time to unpack, get settled, organize their stuff, etc.

I'm not a normal adult.

I took this time to face-plant into my bed and take a nap. I was seriously exhausted and was about to hit Threat Level: Meltdown, so a nap was very, very necessary.

I was also finishing battling the last bits of a head cold I'd had picked up right before the trip, while Matt was starting to feel a tickle in his throat.

About 3 hours later, I woke up from one of the most glorious naps of my life, and Matt was already awake. Unfortunately, Matt was also starting not to feel very good and was pretty sure he caught my head cold that I'd been fighting off. And on top of that, he was only able to get around an hour of sleep because a car alarm outside woke him up. (Yes, this is further proof I can sleep through anything if I put my mind to it).

Either way for Matt, this was a wompwomp.

He was still a mega trooper though and soldiered on, so we got ourselves changed and ready to head over to Epcot.

Now I gotta be honest, my photo-taking for the next like.. 45 minutes was seriously lacking. I suspect a LOT of this had to do with two things:

1. We were both starving and agreed there was no time for stopping, we needed to book it back to Mexico and stuff our faces with food (not the most appealing way to put it, but hey, when you're hungry, you're hungry).

2. Even though we'd napped, we were both still tired - along with Matt not feeling well - so we kept our focus on enjoying Epcot/being in the moment.

Plus, I was really excited to see all of the topiaries that were out for Flower and Garden Festival. Like I mentioned before, this was our first time seeing it all in-person so it was pretty much a non-stop dialogue of us saying "Ooooh that's pretty. Oooh, look at those flowers."

And yet somehow... I managed to not make us stop for pictures. I guess this proves we were both hungry?

Anyway, we got to Mexico and Matt had the duty of finding us a table while I grabbed our food. Fortunately, it wasn't very busy so finding a table was pretty simple. I had the Cheese Empanadas while Matt had... tacos? Let's go with tacos, that sounds good. No pictures of the food were taken because we were eating pretty much as soon as I sat down with our tray.

I'm a fan of the Cheese Empanadas but I was kind of wishing I'd gotten tacos... mainly because my chips were stale. But I feel like that happens often at Mexico's quick service place, so you know, that was kind of to be expected.

Anyway, we ate and chatted, then skidaddled on and decided to get a few pictures from this one perfect spot for taking photos of what I think is the most beautiful part of Flower and Garden Festival... I guess this photo can kind of speak for itself:

wdw2015day1-15_zpsfutvtvrk.jpg

And yes, I totally sat and waited for a monorail to come through for this photo but can you blame me? It was worth it, I think anyway.

But seriously, this view right here made me fall in love with Epcot in a whole new way than I ever had before. Epcot's always been my 2nd favorite park, but F&G Festival just took its beauty to a whole new level for me.

We took a quick selfie, as well, since I wanted to make sure we had more pictures of us on this trip. You can tell we're a little bit tired here but we kept ourselves running.

IMG_5048_zpsxyi2ygdk.jpg

We started to walk towards Spaceship Earth, but obviously not without me stopping to take another photo (this one was from my iPhone 6+):

image_zpseyr81lf7.jpg

Spaceship Earth had basically no wait. I don't get why people will now wait the 20-30 minutes for Spaceship Earth in the mornings when EVERYONE is walking into the park vs. waiting until the evening to go on it. You save yourself so much time (unless I guess if you have a FP+ reservation), I've never really understood that. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

We evidently didn't make stupid enough faces for me to photograph while on Spaceship Earth... or the more likely scenario, my head got cut in half like it sometimes does in the photo.

We swung by Art of Disney to see if there was anything that caught our eye but figured we'd probably find more stuff at the recently-opened Wonderground Gallery in Downtown Disney when we eventually got over there.

We left Art of Disney and headed out of the park. It had always been in our plans that we'd make our way back over to Magic Kingdom, so we waved goodbye to Spaceship Earth and hopped on the monorail to MK.

IMG_5057_zpsea4j50ig.jpg

IMG_5058_zps6g7eye38.jpg

Since we hadn't used any FP+ that morning, we'd changed them up for the evening, which was a nice little benefit to have. But of course, when we arrived at the park, I really wanted to go on the PeopleMover.

IMG_5063_zpso0ybxwxh.jpg

Like I mentioned in my intro, I have a very, very serious love for the PeopleMover. It's one of those attractions that has grown exponentially in my heart as one of my favorites. I know a lot of people enjoy it, but some definitely give me a side-eye when I mention how much I love it.

I've discovered there are a few reasons why I love it so much.

1. It's easily one of the best ways to get off your feet for a few in the park while still enjoying the atmosphere of Tomorrowland. Sure, you could go sit on a bench and relax that way, but why not sitting on the PeopleMover and enjoy the breeze while zooming around Tomorrowland?

2. I love the conversations I have with people while on the PeopleMover. In fact, now that I'm sitting here thinking about it, I wish I could have my own little podcast/show called "Peoplemovin' with Dani" where I sit on the PeopleMover with someone and just talk about whatever comes up and record it. It'd be like a mini-interview or something... These are the random thoughts I have. Maybe i've just been listening to way too much of Marc Maron's *** podcast lately, but still.

Anyway, Matt and I enjoyed lounging on the PeopleMover. It was really nice, actually... And there was a BEAUTIFUL sunset happening as we were going around. I mean seriously, how can you not love this?

image_zps72kx7tan.jpg

I took a bunch of pictures of it, but that was probably one of the best ones - and taken on my iPhone 6+ no less.

Oh! I guess I should mention that during this period of time, I'd also been messaging with my friends Mike and Eryka, aaaand we'll just remember this because it becomes important later.

So anyway, after the PeopleMover we headed over to It's a Small World since we had FP+ for that and really wanted to go on it our first day. While we were on it, I kept hearing from my friends, and they were asking what I was up to, etc. Nothing out of the norm though really.

IASW was great, though I continued to just take pictures with my iPhone. I'm not exactly sure why, though most likely because I've taken a LOT of photos on my nice camera of IASW, so it seemed maybe a little redundant.

IMG_5095_zpskbsssqb3.jpg

Pirates was next.. FINALLY. It felt so nice to go on it again... but I'll be interested to see how it looks after the long refurb it's now currently in. I'm just glad we missed the refurb because Pirates is such a classic.

IMG_5103_zpslpei165h.jpg

So, Matt had mentioned on our walk over to Pirates that he really wasn't feeling great and also was hitting a wall of exhaustion... plus the park had gotten really busy at this point, so we started to head towards the front of the park to do a little shopping and then head back to Old Key West.

Buuuut wait, you guys don't think that this night is over, do you?

Nah, but we'll get to that in the next update. ;)

Continued in next post

Last edited:
So nice that you got to spend time with some Disney friends!

Glad your room was ready just when you needed it! I don't blame you for passing out haha I'm sorry Matt was struggling though :(

That spot in Epcot is so perfect for pictures, yours came out gorgeous.

Count me in as a Peoplemover fan, such a great ride :thumbsup2

That sucks about the head colds. Being sick at Disney is the worst! I wish I could take as good as photos as you with my iphone 6 plus. My cellphone pics are never as good as other peoples. I really want to eat that nutella waffle. Looks so good!

I LOVE the people mover. Ive always known it as the WEDway lol! And I would totally listen to "Peoplemovin' with Dani"!

Awww yay Rachel!!! That's so awesome that y'all were able to meet up and hang out for a while!

I still have not had a Nutella waffle. But I will take your advice because it looks SO GOOD. I don't know why but I just always seem to forget it exists. Laaaame.

OMG that picture is perfection. It is actually flawless. And YES I know exactly what you mean about F&G making you appreciate Epcot even more. It's just so beautiful.

Oh my gosh, can I be a guest on PeopleMovin' with Dani? :laughing:

Last edited:

How great that you got to spend some time with DIS friends. It worked out perfectly that your dates overlapped and you could do that.

Disney naps are the best! I swear, you sleep harder when you're in a Disney resort. And I don't blame you for not taking pictures or unpacking. You were running on a late flight, practically pre-dawn arrival, and early morning MK fun. I think anybody would have passed out the second they got to their room, too.

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! I seriously just fell in love with your Epcot shot of the Flower and Garden Festival!!! That is my favorite time to visit the parks, and that photo made me miss that time of year. I hope you don't mind, but I'm totally showing that picture off to my husband and mother when I get a chance, because they will love it as much as I do.

Okay, your awesome iphone shots definitely just made me feel like I am not using my phone to its full potential. I really need to work on my phone photography skills. Or at least spend some more time in my paint shop program. :rotfl2:

It's a Small World and Pirates, (and Thunder earlier in the day) I feel like you completed my favorite MK attractions circuit. The best ones around... (I'm living in denial that Pirates will be closed when I visit next month.)

Following! Loving the pictures!!! What camera do you have? I'm in the market for a new one and by the time I make my mind up, new ones come out! Love the pictures and the report!

AHH!! I am SO excited to see you are doing another TR! Your past TRs legitimately made me laugh out loud. I would read them in bed before going to sleep for the night, and DH would look at me with a look that resembled Riley's face in the teacup. We especially got a huge kick out of your TR where yall got stuck on Splash next to Brer Bear getting attacked by a swarm of bees. This past November when we floated past that scene, DH looked at me and we both just bust out laughing.

Can't wait to see what you have in store for us with this TR! Definitely following along, and welcome back! :)

Just finished reading through the how post and I see you've already answered about the camera, so ignore me!

Omg that picture of Epcot, I think you posted it on Twitter and I loved it then, now I wannntt it!!

And I would most Def listen to "Peoplemovin with Dani"... please start that like now.

I hope Matt felt better quickly!!

So nice that you got to spend some time with Rachel ... it is amazing how DIS/Disney friends can become some of your best friends

wdw2015day1-15_zpsfutvtvrk.jpg

And yes, I totally sat and waited for a monorail to come through for this photo but can you blame me? It was worth it, I think anyway.

Wow, that is an amazing picture. I mean, how could someone look at that, and not want to go to Disney World?!?!?!

I am a big fan of the People Mover. I love how it gives you a tour of Tomorrowland but also has it's own little things you can see on on it - like the original model for what Walt wanted EPCOT to be. Plus it feels like a ride that would have been at the Worlds Fair which I think is cool.

I like the idea of your podcast ... would be even cooler if it was celebrities you talked to while riding the people mover :thumbsup2

and that is another stunning photo

Wow what some great photos!

Yay a Dis meet! That's so cool that you met on the disboards and are now fiends. I read about so many dis meets and I want to have one.

I have an iPhone 6+ as well but I don't think be taken photos like that. I will say it does have a great camera on it tho.

I can't believe I missed the beginning of a danimaroo TR! What the what?!!? Well, I'm here now and going back to catch up. Yay!

Oh my gosh! I am in total love with this picture! That is so so gorgeous! :love: Can I just take you with me on all my trips and hire you as my own personal photographer? :rotfl:I'll pay you in Dole Whips, Mickey Ice Cream bars, and Nutella Waffles ;)

I too have a great love for the People Mover! I still call it the TTA sometimes - old habits die hard :headache: My son calls it the "fast blue train." I try to teach him the proper name but no, it's the fast blue train to him hahaha Nothing makes me happier than taking a spin on the People Mover, it's so relaxing and you get such great views! And FYI, I'd definitely listen to "Peoplemovin with Dani!"

I remember from one of your previous TR's that ya'll like to do IASW on your first day - we have a similar tradition but with POTC - that's almost always our first ride. Of course now with FP+ I may have to change some things around :confused:

Sounds like you had a pretty successful first day - looking forward to seeing what else is in store!

I already commented on your blog, but I figured I'd say hello here too! You already know how much I love reading about the adventures you and Matt have :)

Wow, your pictures are absolutely stunning! You make Epcot look even more perfect in my opinion hah I've read your other trip reports and I'm so excited to see where this one takes you!

I'm finally coming our of lurkdom to follow along with your TR! :wave2: I have to admit, I spent an entire rainy afternoon reading your past trip reports and pretending I was there (with plenty of coffee in my Cinderella castle mug of course!)

And OMG I forget which TR it was (maybe your first one?) when you mentioned a bellhop at the Tower of Terror who looked like Neville Longbottom. I immediately burst out laughing because I'm 99.9% sure you were talking about my fiance!! :rotfl:He always told me people would say that about him, and some girls even asked for his autograph. He's not a Harry Potter fan (how we're even together, I have no idea :sad2::sad2:) so he never really understood it. The dates match up to when we were on our college program so I'm totally sure he was the one. I read that part of your TR to him and showed him your picture and he was like "Oh my god, I think I remember them!" So if I find a picture of him in costume, I'll post it!

Anyhoo, love your writing style and you and Matt just sound like the best couple to visit Disney with. I wish we had friends like that who we know would enjoy it as much as we do. :goodvibes

Oh and I agree w/everyone else, your pictures are gorgeous! Can't wait to see and read more!

You are back! Since I follow you on IG I knew you'd been to WDW and I was hopeful you'd write a trip report. First, I love how you take a red-eye and then have a pretty busy day in the MK. Second, that picture from EPCOT is amazing- looks like a painting!

So excited to follow along on a Matt and Dani adventure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter