Cheerleaders at DW

jovidan said:
Like, I think there's like, a link someplace else on this board. It's like, totally narly.

Check it out - I'll be at Pop like, the same week, and I'm like, OH MY GOD, SO EXCITED!!!

If they keep me awake at night, I'm just gonna like call the front desk and be like, "Yeah, like these girls downstairs are like, being totally uncool, and like, making way too much noise. Like, could you tell them to like, quiet down or something. I mean like, really."

:cheer2: :badpc:
:cheer2: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :Pinkbounc LOL

It looks like, from the web site about the competition, that they are having some sort of party at MGM on Sunday night (the 6th). Would this be after park closing? Or will it be going on when others are there. We may want to avoid MGM that night if it's going to be packed. TIA!

rach98n said:
It looks like, from the web site about the competition, that they are having some sort of party at MGM on Sunday night (the 6th). Would this be after park closing? Or will it be going on when others are there. We may want to avoid MGM that night if it's going to be packed. TIA!

Yes, it closes a bit earlier, and then it's Pop Warner only, a special event for the kids and families.

Hope to be there next year...we came so close this year! :cheer2:

lagunaseca said:
You mention the groups having an "entitlement mentality". What do you call the opinion of delegating the teen groups to a "resort just to house student groups." ?? So if we are traveling to WDW with our family of 5 and other families from the group during a competition, spending $4,000+ per family and want to have our choice of resorts we should be told we can only stay in a certain resort(s)?

And if the family of a cheerleader chose to travel and stay at another resort, fine. The difference being that practicing would not be allowed outside of the resort that is "designated" for the teams/groups. Also there would be no special group rate at those resorts, no special transportation, etc. If you chose to stay away from the group, that's your perrogative, but you'd be on your own to catch up with them for activities, etc. No one at the resort you were staying at would know you were part of the group staying at the designated group resort. you'd simply be another family. See the difference?

Anne

Was at Pop Century in December, 2004, when the cheerleaders and Pop Warner athletes arrived. I requested a room away from the groups, which was provided with a smile from the CM (50s, facing Hourglass Lake). Obviously, not an issue.

There was significantly more activity and a bit more noise, but the that would be expected as a resort increases its occupancy. Overall, the students were pretty well behaved and the CMs reigned them in when the chaperones didn't.

Other than one go-round with chaperones in EPCOT (several girls weren't paying attention and ran into me while I was taking a photograph and the parents were mad at me for being in the way! Excuse me!), we coexisted quite peacefully. Their money certainly is as good as mine! :)

95% of the people going to Disney are looking for what Walt intended: wholesome, family enjoyment with a little magic thrown in. I highly doubt he envisioned large groups of cheerleaders keeping families with small children up at night ,etc., etc. I agree with Anne completely. I think it would be a great idea to have designated hotels where the cheering/rowdier type behavior is allowed. I also feel that they should not be allowed to cheer in the parks. How can anyone think that isn't rude? I am not anti cheer/poms. I was one. :cheer2: :cheer2: Go Huskies!!

disgrajak said:
95% of the people going to Disney are looking for what Walt intended: wholesome, family enjoyment with a little magic thrown in. I highly doubt he envisioned large groups of cheerleaders keeping families with small children up at night ,etc., etc. I agree with Anne completely. I think it would be a great idea to have designated hotels where the cheering/rowdier type behavior is allowed. I also feel that they should not be allowed to cheer in the parks. How can anyone think that isn't rude? I am not anti cheer/poms. I was one. :cheer2: :cheer2: Go Huskies!!

they do have designated hotels and 99% of the time it is at the all stars so if you dont want to encounter these groups than my advice would be DONT stay at the all stars . problem solved! :D

nygrl said:
they do have designated hotels and 99% of the time it is at the all stars so if you dont want to encounter these groups than my advice would be DONT stay at the all stars . problem solved! :D

This is not the case. They've also been at Pop and CBR.

Disney needs to do two things. First, set some guidelines for when and where practice can be held, and make a formal written behaviour code which must be signed off on by the sposnoring schools administration (which includes no cheering in parks or on buses--I don't care what some national pep squad board says, it's disruptive to other guests and shouldn't be allowed). Perhaps offer space at WWoS for practice. But allowing it in courtyards and parking lots all day and well into the night when it's very disruptive to other guests is pitiful and bad show.

Next, they also need to warn people making reservations that large school groups will be staying at that resort during their visit, and allow the guest to make a choice as to what they'd like to do.

Anne

I equate this behavior to the same thing as these young idiots blasting their car radios at peak volume because they believe for some stupid reason that I am enjoying their choice of music. I wish I had some way to electronically destroy their speakers. It is extra special at 1 or 2 am going down the street in front of my house. Everything in the house shakes!
I dont want to hear a bunch of bubbly teens screaming at the top of their lungs after a long day in the park. *ranting over* :earseek:

NY GIRL,
I was referring to having a designated hotel for these groups only, not a hotel that is also hosting regular families. If you are a Disney novice and you don't use the internet, there is a good chance that you could end up making a ressie during pop warner (and others) and not realize it. It's unfair to the person who doesn't have 24 hours a day to devote to the DIS boards like the rest of us do-God help us all! :earboy2: I would be disapointed if I could only afford one trip to Disney with my kids and I had to deal with some of the problems encountered by other posters. Again, Disney World was not created with the idea of hosting cheerleading championships. MOst ordinary people would never think that this was going on there. And again, :cheer2:
GO Huskies :cheer2:

we booked a trip to asmusic before i learned about these sites. Well we booked the FIRST WEEK IN JUNE.........besides the heat and the crowds..............it was PACKED and also our notice at the hotel said "DUE TO CROWDS PLEASE AVOID MK SAT. " We personally had to go that week, but Disney SHOULD let everyone know ahead of time when the crowds will be that busy due to what ever group will be there. We still had fun, but we realized after that we would of changed our week. Now , after that we have been going either the middle or near the end of Aug. it is still hot, packed but my husband thought it was nothing like that week in June. this summer when we checked in around 8/26 we noticed all the BOYS in FOOTBALL jerseys. well we were told that at NIGHT they TAKE OVER THE POOL.........well guess what , except for the 2 - 3 early nights they had a special dinner , THEY TOOK OVER THE POOL>>>>>......lol. we couldnt believer how many kids. I have to say most of them were polite at like the food court, etc. ( of course my 15 yr.old dd and 2 friends thought they were cute.....ha ha ) but it really was a nightmare at the pool . the food court and drink area was really messy. I was surprised cause of all the trips, its usually clean. it wasnt really that bad, but it did make a diff. in the hotel. now the buses were always packed anyway , due to summer. BUT.........then the GIRLS would start YELLING out their CHEERS.........give me a break, we all went crazy , it really gets annoying. i would say though out of all the kids we saw, there were 2 - 4 of the women (chap. or moms) that were always LOUDER than the kids.............but all in all we had fun.But like i said , we go every year, and the crowd really makes a diff........

I think having the schools/and or association agree to a behavior code in writing is a good idea and Disney should take a deposit up front. The deposit is potentially retained as a fine if the group doesn't follow the guidelines and comply with the rules. Several years ago we had a sorority/fraternity dance at one of the major hotels in Seattle. Our overall group got out of hand with noise, delinquent behavior, etc. and caused major disruption to the hotel patrons. Well, the following Monday we were called into the sorority chapter room and handed a big flat blow. We had lost all our deposit money. The hotel didn't refund our deposit due to our behavior. The fraternity was fined also. Needless to say, we had a lot at stake. We had worked hard for that money, and when we lost it.... let's just say peer pressure took over and there was much better behavior at the next function.

Also, I am surprised the kids are allowed to 'cheer' on the bus. I was a chaperone on a school sponsored ski bus and the kids weren't allowed to even raise their voices above normal levels, or play music out loud. The ski association enforced this rule, because they felt kids yelling and making commotion was a distraction and potentially serious safety issue for the bus driver.

disgrajak said:
NY GIRL,
I was referring to having a designated hotel for these groups only, not a hotel that is also hosting regular families. If you are a Disney novice and you don't use the internet, there is a good chance that you could end up making a ressie during pop warner (and others) and not realize it. It's unfair to the person who doesn't have 24 hours a day to devote to the DIS boards like the rest of us do-God help us all! :earboy2: I would be disapointed if I could only afford one trip to Disney with my kids and I had to deal with some of the problems encountered by other posters. Again, Disney World was not created with the idea of hosting cheerleading championships. MOst ordinary people would never think that this was going on there. And again, :cheer2:
GO Huskies :cheer2:

point taken..... i just thinkl it is up to disney to do something about this..maybe some people should write to them and voice their opinions on this...you are right if i got to a hotel and had no idea i would be less than thrilled but that said i would deal and if it got to be a problem i would complain to managment. i just know that we are really excited about our baseball trip in oct we will probably all opt to stay at por since our team are made up of people that will not have their kids running the halls and i feel more of that will be going on at all stars.. i just dont want to be lumped in a group we are all responsable parents . i under stand there are some inconsiderate people out there but this is where disney has chosen for them to stay for these things and i think it is up to them to change it if enough peoplr complain. :wave:

My family and I visited CBR in 1998 during one of the cheerleading competitions and other than being in line with a bunch of young girls with sponge rollers shooting out of the tops of their heads, it wasn't all that bad. We did see ALOT of them practicing their "moves" :cheer2: but we thought it was funny and some of the t-shirts that the mothers and chaperones wore were hilarious!

We didn't encounter any of them at the CBR and this year we'll be at the Poly so I guess we won't see them again. :teeth:

We will be upset if they close down MGM studios early on Sunday, Feb 6th for them. That's an Extra Magic Evening for MGM and we were looking forward to it. We hope that that's not true.

NY GRL,
I agree with your last post completely. I really am confused as to why Disney doesn't have a more specific policy about this. Or maybe they do and it isn't enforced. I have a feeling it has something to do with money :teacher: . I just feel badly for the people who aren't given the choice to avoid the situation if that is what they want to do. I also really think they should have specific guidelines about where and when to practice, chaperone to child ratio, and maybe staff those hotels with extra security for those teens who decide to party instead of practice :crazy: I went to the Peach Bowl my senior year with my Pom squad and the marching band, and those kids went looney! And believe me, the marching band was not usually a looney group :teeth: I hope you have a great time in Oct. with your group :love:

Just wanted to add a little something, my daughter's High School Performance Band :rockband: and Show Choir will be there during that week also. They will be staying offsite. Our kids have all been informed by the school of what is expected from them while they are there. They are to conduct themselves in the upmost manner. They have been told what kind of clothing they should wear, and checking in with chaperones on a regular basis is a MUST! Any kind of inappropiate behavior will result in them being sent home (at the parents expense) immediately. Many of the parents who are not chaperoning are going down just to be there for their kids. I will be one of those lucky parents. With numerous of parent meetings and a few guidlines I am hoping for a very nice trip! We have a good group of kids! So, with that said I would like to invite everyone to see our kids march in the afternoon parade at MK on Sat. Feb. 12th. Hope to see some of you there!

PS. Tylenol PM works wonders!

Ozfan, your group sounds like a responsible one and the guidelines you are setting up are much like the ones we do when we have traveled with our kid's groups, even GASP dance and cheerleading groups (although if you listen to a couple of posters here that could NOT be possible). Have a wonderful trip!!!!! :sunny:

We are just back from a fabulous trip to Disney over Spring Break. My only complaint is we tried to save some money by booking in the All-Star Music, instead of one of the moderates. Boy were we happy to see cheerleaders morning, noon, and night for 6 straight days. Those freaking girls (and the occasional boy) never shut-up. Never. If you're booking a trip, try to find out if large groups will be there at the same time.

This probably doesn't add much to the discusiion, but we used to go almost every year with DS. From about age 15 thru 19, he desperately wanted to go to WDW while the cheerleaders were there. One year we took a quick mini trip and were leaving on the day many of them were arriving. I swear he moaned every time he saw another group arriving in MK as we were leaving after lunch to go catch our plane! :rotfl2:

Having survived what seemed to be hundreds of cheerleaders, twirlers, and the Daytona 500 & President's Day Crowd in February this year while staying @ AS Movies; I say NEVER AGAIN!

Not only did we not get in the building we requested (for the second time), the groups were not put in one building. The girls were everywhere, mostly well-behaved, but we didn't see much in the way of adult supervision.

The pools and food courts were packed with noisy, squealing girls at all hours; everything took much longer to accomplish. The zoo-like atmosphere may be appealing to some, but if you yearn for a more sedate vacation, I strongly urge you to avoid this time period of the year or spend more on a moderate resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter