checking "food" suitcase or carry on

redsoxfaninme

Earning My Ears
We will be staying on site and will not be renting a car so therefore we are planning on taking a suitcase with snacks, My husband soda ( he is addicted to Diet Mt. Dew) My question is should we check the bag or carry it on? I read on Mousesavers that you should carry it on as Security may check the bag as it may show up suspicious when they X-ray it. I don't care if they look at the bag as all that will be in the bag is food. I just wanted some opinions. Thanks!:bounce:

Carry it on. Ditto on the security thing - you don't want to give them a reason to have to open and search the bag.

I brought lots of food in our checked suitcases and carry-on. We checked 3 suitcases and they were all inspected by the inspectors. I found the little note in each suitcase. For the carry-on they only looked at my change (quarters and pennies for teh pressed penny machines) in the M&M container they did not even look at the food.

Did not bring any soda so I can't comment on that.

I'm not too sure on that myself. I was thinking on sending down some stuff, but then thought the pop (Diet Mt. Dew also) would be heavy and cost alot. We're having a town car pick us up at the airport and will do a grocery stop before getting to the resort. They will be stoping at a store that sells Diet Mt. Dew (called to make sure). I still might take on some Poptarts and a few snacks in a carry on.

Not sure how your getting from the airport to the resort but, maybe you could also do a grocery stop for the pop and then carry on the snacks in your luggage.

You can order a delivery from netgrocers, I would think soda cans might pop open. DH used to take one to work and several times he forgot and left them in the car all day and they would pop open in the heat.
Tiffany Towncar offers a free 30 min grocery stop.

My cases were all checked...I did have one with just food in it. I don't think I had soda in it...I picked that up at the grocery stop. But I had 2 boxes ceral, 2 boxes of mini muffins, crackers, rasins, granola bars...etc. None of the food was opened. And it was a smaller case. There is also We Go Shop, if you want someone to deliver food to the hotel.

We just use www.wegoshop.com

They are great! You send them a list of exactly what you want and they bring it right to your resort room at a pre-arranged time. You can even tell them where you want them to shop. We usually use the Wal-Mart Supercenter. They will even bring preishable itmes, which you can't get with Netgrocer. On our last trip, we had them bring us milk, diapers, wipes, fruit, cokes, water, and lots more. There is a fee, $15 for up to $100 worth of groceries and it goes up from there, but it is SO worth it not to have to pack up stuff and worry about it! They will give you the receipt so you know you are only being charged for your stuff plus the fee. You just pay when they arrive with your stuff. I can't say enough good things about this service and the couple that runs it in the Disney World area!

Just go to their website, click on Orlando, and then click on "inside Walt Disney World". We even use them when we have a towncar since we are usually in a hurry to get to our resort and don't want to bother with a grocery stop.

By the way, I don't know what limo company you are using, but we are using Southern Elegance on our next trip, and they do offer a free grocery stop with their limo. We aren't using it, but they do offer it.

When I carried pop on the plane, I always put in my carry on bag- double bagged.I was afraid it would open up and be a sticky mess on my clothes.

I dont think its a good thing to put soda in the checked luggage. They dont pressurize the baggage area on the plane, and the soda may explode. Not to mention all the rough handling the poor bags get.

Just watch the weight of your suitcase. If you go over that could be a very expensive suitcase.

:bounce: I decided to call the limo service to double check and see if they would make a supermarket stop. They said oh yes !!! 15 minutes! I said thank you very much!!!! So I don't have to worry about the soda on the plane any more! Thank you for all of your help!!:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter