Checking a Booster Seat

jtowntoflorida

Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney
We're going to be renting a car for the first time in Orlando, and this will be the first time traveling with no kids in car seats--our 5 year old just graduated to a booster. He's in a high backed booster at home, and I'm wondering about checking a high backed booster. In my excitement about not having to travel with a carseat ever again, I got rid of our carseat bag a few weeks ago. Will I be OK checking a high backed booster without a bag? I guess I'd be worried that the seat would come apart, but maybe there's a solution I'm not thinking of. Since we're renting a compact car, he'd probably be OK if we just took the back off and made it a backless booster for the trip, but I'd hate to get to our rental car and think that he'd be safer with a belt positioner.

Anyway...any advice/comments?

Put it in something before checking it. Even a garbage bag is better than nothing. You can also carry it on if it will fit in the overhead bin on the plane.

If it comes apart like my DD Turbo Booster it should be easy to fit in the overhead compartment of the plane.

A $5 laundry bag from Target is better than nothing. And I would still gate check it.

We brought the base of our high back as a carry on, and the back we packed in our luggage. This is what was recommended from car seats from the littles. Normally my guy wouldn't even be in a high back, but we only needed it for an impromptu taxi ride from all star sports to Saratoga at the very beginning of our stay.

I would bag it and gate-check it. My son's high backed booster took 4 plane trips last year, gate checked, and that bag has black stains (and holes) all over it. Better the bag than the seat!

It's a pain to lug it to gate check, but if you check it as luggage there's a higher chance of it getting damaged/lost and then you're in trouble on the other end of your flight.

I would definitely not go backless. I did that on a trip with a bubble booster seat, and my kiddo kept falling asleep in the car and slumping over onto the window. The lack of head protection scared the heck out of me and I'll never do that again, even though dragging the full booster around airports is no fun. Good luck!

Do you have a large box? Similar to the one it would've come in?

In a random smart move of mine, I kept the box that my booster came in. When I travel I put it in it's original packaging and then in a carseat bag (but a garbage bag would probably be fine OR just take the box to the airport and I think they have bags for that sort of thing. This is annoying getting into and out of the airport, but I've managed it with my son and 2 other pieces of rolling luggage at 2 am before so it's totally doable, lol.

The other option is putting it in your luggage. Split it apart, put half in one suitcase and half in the other (or carry on half and leave it in the overhead bins, I don't think it counts against your carry-on items).

Last resort for me would be to just take the seat part (I'd probably carry it on the plane).

Most airports can shrink wrap it for you, rather than a bag. Have you called and seen if they do?

I have these for traveling with my kids, makes things so much easier! (It's a backpack and a booster with belt positioner)

https://www.trunki.com/boostapak-green

OK, this is awesome. It's more than I'd like to spend, but since we fly so much and we'll get several years of use out of it, it might be worth it. I have a silly question...do you unload the backpack part when you're using it as a seat? Or does the kid essentially sit on their stuff?

I would definitely not go backless. I did that on a trip with a bubble booster seat, and my kiddo kept falling asleep in the car and slumping over onto the window. The lack of head protection scared the heck out of me and I'll never do that again, even though dragging the full booster around airports is no fun. Good luck!
Children who sleep in cars are mythical to me. :P They're like unicorns or elves. They simply don't exist in my world.

I'm glad you found them at a reasonable price! The kids can put their stuff inside, wear it as a backpack, use it as a booster, etc. and it all stays in there, it's a separate section. They are so handy, we've used them many times :)

We're going to be renting a car for the first time in Orlando, and this will be the first time traveling with no kids in car seats--our 5 year old just graduated to a booster. He's in a high backed booster at home, and I'm wondering about checking a high backed booster. In my excitement about not having to travel with a carseat ever again, I got rid of our carseat bag a few weeks ago. Will I be OK checking a high backed booster without a bag? I guess I'd be worried that the seat would come apart, but maybe there's a solution I'm not thinking of. Since we're renting a compact car, he'd probably be OK if we just took the back off and made it a backless booster for the trip, but I'd hate to get to our rental car and think that he'd be safer with a belt positioner.

Anyway...any advice/comments?

When we took ours, it was a Graco Turbo Booster or something of that sort, and it came apart in two pieces (the back and the bottom). I took the two pieces apart and just put them in one of the duffle bags that our clothes were packed in. It was no problem at all. I would NOT check it without having it in something, even a garbage bag or a big laundry bag would be better than nothing. I think I saw the airport people give someone a plastic bag last time I flew.

You could also gate check it...they will take it from you right were you get on the plane and when you get off the plane it will be right in the jetway.

OK, this is awesome. It's more than I'd like to spend, but since we fly so much and we'll get several years of use out of it, it might be worth it. I have a silly question...do you unload the backpack part when you're using it as a seat? Or does the kid essentially sit on their stuff?

Children who sleep in cars are mythical to me. :P They're like unicorns or elves. They simply don't exist in my world.
It doesn't look like the boostapak actually gives you any head protection. I don't think I would go that route personally, but to each his own! We flew to Europe, and I knew I'd need a booster for my 7 year-old at my in-laws there. We got the Harmony Youth Booster for less than $15 from Walmart and then left it there with my in-laws to use with our nieces/nephews. A lowback booster seat is really just there to make sure the seatbelt is positioned correctly on your child. The highback booster provides extra head protection, though, so I can see why you would want it for your young kiddo. My 7 yo was too tall for a highback at that point, thus the Harmony booster.

If in doubt, you should be able to check with your local police or fire dept to see if the seat is a safe fit for your child.

Most airports in the U.S. do not have luggage shrink wrapping services.
LGA, JFK, EWR (which together constitute the largest O&D market in the world), ORD, LAX and MIA all do, off of the top of my head. It's not easy to find necessarily, but every time I've asked at a US airport it has existed, usually to help wrap sporting gear.

LGA, JFK, EWR (which together constitute the largest O&D market in the world), ORD, LAX and MIA all do, off of the top of my head. It's not easy to find necessarily, but every time I've asked at a US airport it has existed, usually to help wrap sporting gear.

That's great, but the majority of US airports don't offer this service. I don't know why you would want to do this; it must be a real pain unwrapping your suitcase. Plus, if TSA decides to inspect your suitcase, you just wasted your money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter