Cheapskate Monthly--worth the subscription?

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
Someone mentioned it here.

Is it worth the price?

I'm skeptical b/c I always find it odd when experts share their money saving tips after you spend money to get those money saving tips.

Thanks!

I would say "no". I do not subscribe but I did in years past and did not find it was worth the money, at all. I believe you will do much better borrowing the Tightwad Gazette from your library and continuing to read these Budget Boards. I have found many excellent money-saving and budgeting ideas here.

I don't subscribe to it so I don't know if the full-fledged newsletter is worth it - but I do get a little emailer that I enjoy. But there is no charge for it.

I subscribed to it after reading her books (which are great), and IMO, it is NOT worth it. Anything she has to tell you can be learned for free on the internet -- dollarstretcher.com, bankrate.com, iVillage's money boards, about.com's money boards -- it's all out there. :)

I'm really annoyed with myself for paying for that subscription. :rolleyes:

Check and see if your Library has it. It is only a few pages, so you can read through them pretty fast. I sit in the kids section of the library and read it while the kids are browsing around for the books they want. I would not pay to get it, to small and not enough info. But it is fun to read if you can do it for free.

Mary Hunt writes this newsletter, right? If so, I have one of her books (Cheapskate in the Kitchen), and I'm not a huge fan. Her ideas are okay, but they're nothing you couldn't figure out on your own (i.e., buying specialty coffee drinks at Starbucks is expensive, buying a pound of coffee at the store with a coupon is cheap -- I doubt this is news to you).

If you're looking for serious money-saving tips, I suggest you buy a copy of The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Daczyn (I know I spelled that name wrong). It's a compelation of three previous books and her newsletter (which is no longer published). Some of her ideas are, frankly, too extreme for most of us; however, I like the way she breaks down the prices and compares them. Even if you don't want to use a particular idea, often you learn from her method of thinking. Her books were written more than a decade ago, and prices have increased; still, you can learn from her concepts. One of my favorite things from her book is the grocery store price book. She explains -- in great detail -- how she created a spreadsheet notebook to keep track of the prices /sales on grocery items she buys regularly.

I enjoy reading her newsletters. Although, most of her info may be common knowledge, there have been tidbits that I learned through reading "Cheapskate Monthly" I also become inspired by the stories told by real people of how they got out of debt.

In the scheme of things, it's worth it to spend $1.50 or so to read each month. I did get some great recipes last month (I think it was last month) for cooking with potatoes.

For info, not the best source...for inspiration, mixed with a few ideas, it's a great read.

Lori P. :)

a book called Miserly Moms. It has many great ideas, recipes, etc. Very practical advice!! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter