cheapest fence possible?

windycitymom

DIS Veteran
Our neighbor's fence fell down between our property lines, and they had it removed. However, because we have the above ground pool in our yard, we now have to put up a 4' fence where there's was. I'm not sure if our neighbors want to split the cost or not (I'll ask, but WE may have to pay the entire cost of the fence between our properties if they don't want to split the cost).

Due to finances, we have to go with the cheapest fence possible. What is the cheapest fence that we can put up? I was thinking a 4' chain link fence would be cheaper than wood. Any advice?

Be sure and check current codes for fencing with a swimming pool before you do anything. Those codes change with some frequency, I know here the minimum is a 6 foot fence.

I'd price chain link and those vinyl fences from Home Depot. Can you do the installation or will you need to hire someone?

The Village Code is a 4' fence. I'm just looking for the cheapest kind of fence. I'm assuming it is a chain link fence. Is there anything less expensive out there? Is going through Home Depot cheaper than a fence company? I'm going to start making calls, but wanted to get some opinions here first.

Could you just fence around the pool???
Maybe your neighbors are hoping you will put up another fence so they don't have to!!

check with your neighborhood regulations. I know in our past subdivision chain link fences were not allowed, they had to be 4' wooden fences. Our current subdivision does not allow fences of any kind. (pools are not allowed either)

I suggest you call around your area to find out the prices. Are you doing this yourself? That would be your cheapest option and a wood fence would be easier/cheaper if you are doing it yourself. We (what I really am saying by "we" is boyfriend) built ours last year. It was much cheaper to do it ourselves than to pay someone. When I was looking at prices and calling people I found a company that puts in fences. They also resell the old fencing at a HUGE discount. We didn't get the boards. Wish we could have, they sold them for a dollar a foot! Could you imagine getting 8 feet of prebuilt fence for all of 8 bucks! Someone beat us to it so we didn't get that. But we did get our posts from them for super cheap. So it may be worth calling around to find the best deals and to do it yourself.

We are/ were in the process of installing a chain link fence this last weekend. Stupid rain has put a stop to that for atleast a week. We are installing 50' of fence that is 6ft high with a 10' drive thru gate and it cost us 450.00 for all supplies (hubby is doing the hard work).

One side of our properiety we installed a privacy wood fence that was 100' and it cost us 700.00.

we had our fence put up by a fencing company but we asked for bids on craigslist. I got at least 100 emails within 24hrs and narrowed that down to about 10ppl to call and ask for bids. Of those 10ppl, we had 5 come out and bid on the job and we went with the best price and ones who were bonded and offered a 'warranty' on the construction. In the end they put up the fence for $300 worth of labor. It took them 3 or 4 days to get everything done(have to wait for the concrete to dry after setting the posts) and the fence has been up a year w/o any issue.

People aren't doing as much home improving as they were in the past so you can get good deals on labor esp if you use a different route to get bids.

We have used craigslist to have a few different things done and have always ended up using regular companies that bid for the jobs there at very reduced rates. The 2 guys who put in our front walk couldn't of made more than $50 between them for an entire day of work after materials cost and they did a fantastic job.

Our neighbor's fence fell down between our property lines, and they had it removed. However, because we have the above ground pool in our yard, we now have to put up a 4' fence where there's was. I'm not sure if our neighbors want to split the cost or not (I'll ask, but WE may have to pay the entire cost of the fence between our properties if they don't want to split the cost).

Due to finances, we have to go with the cheapest fence possible. What is the cheapest fence that we can put up? I was thinking a 4' chain link fence would be cheaper than wood. Any advice?

We live in a rural area and we put up farm fence since thats what our neighbors had used on one border. We just used metal posts that you pound into the ground and then roll out the farm fence and clip it on. Very easy and cheap. If you have an above ground pool without any kind of deck and the ladder can come off do you still have to have a fence?

I would second that the farm fence is probably the cheapest. Here it is called welded wire fence. Instead of the metal post we used 4x4's and set them in concrete. It doesn't look too bad and it does it's job (keeping my border collie in and other dogs/people from getting in). Best of luck!

We are good friends with our neighbors, but I still couldn't imagine not having a privacy fence.
That said, DH put up a chain link fence down the middle of our back yard (to keep the dog off of the playground) for around $250 last summer. His cousin helped out, and they had it done in a day.

You also need to check with your insurance company about they require since you have the pool.

I don't remember the prices but we have installed several (here & our previous house) wood fences ourselves-the easiest for DIYers and had chainlink installed by a company-it's just more involved to put up especially stretching it. We've always gotten our lumber from Home Depot or Lowe's.

Also, DH has taken to digging the hole for the post, attaching the pieces then concreting the posts in place so that the fence is up and not waiting for it to harden...it's a quickset concrete...

We have fence around the top of our pool, and before we had the deck built on one side , we had a ladder that locked w/ a padlock in way that all the step were above standing level (they slid independently of the sides of the ladder(now is the time I wish they had doodle-pens for the dis-boards!!!!)
anyway, that was all our township required, so check with the township first
They will also want you to pull a permit for any fencing in the ground---so factor that into your costs too!!!!
The pool-top fence was about 150.00, we did it ourselves, it is some sort of coated poly/vinyl and actually,I love it now.......keeps the errant pool floats, and volleyball misses in the pool so you don't have to constantly get out.
(we have a 4 1/2 deep 28' round pool)

For those that have the fencing around the pool top - how hard is it to put on and take off the solar cover/winter cover? We use a solar cover daily in the summer to keep the pool warm and I don't see how you can easily take that on and off with a fence around the top of the pool?

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I'll make some calls and see what happens.

Find out how much the cheap chain link fencing will be, then price out the wood. Next, meet with your neighbors.....they may well jump at the chance to split the cost of the wood fence over having you put in the chain link one.

For those that have the fencing around the pool top - how hard is it to put on and take off the solar cover/winter cover? We use a solar cover daily in the summer to keep the pool warm and I don't see how you can easily take that on and off with a fence around the top of the pool?

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I'll make some calls and see what happens.

the poolfence is about 10 or more inches above the ledge of the pool---we put our cover on each yr without problems-----I don't use a solar cover , ours is in full sun all day from sunrise to set--and never had the need to
we got it from www.poolsinc.com, almost two years ago.
they have pictures on their website , so you can get a better idea of what it looks like---you can easily reach under it, however.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter