Cheap transportation

Ashley Simpson

Earning My Ears
we are crusing on December 7th so trying to plan a day at magic kingdom the 6th. We plan to fly in so whats the best route to get from park to port the 7th? We have 2 adults and 2 kids! Thanks

I'd say a one day rental car. Keep checking the rates for a drop off different than from pick up location. Otherwise, a shuttle.

I'd say a one day rental car. Keep checking the rates for a drop off different than from pick up location. Otherwise, a shuttle.

Ok my planner was saying something about $70 a person from park to port so is that to port and back to airport or $70 a person each way?

I'm not sure which service your planner is using, but I would assume that price is for one way. Depending on how long your cruise is, you may want to just park the rental car at the port and then use it to go home via the airport. When I did the math, even for our 7 day, the cost of the rental for the whole time we were in FLA once before and once after our cruise, was cheaper than any shuttle/towncar service. I did not park at port, but at a place 10 minutes up the road, and that was not an inconvenience with our family.

If you don't like to drive, then check out the costs of a town car service and shuttle. I'd pay more for a direct, as some of the shuttles may take multiple stops. Also, Disney does have a service, that's pricey per person, so maybe that's what your planner is referencing.

This is what she told me

Then the morning of the cruise, your transfers to the Disney Cruise Line Terminal (and then back to the airport when you get off of the cruise) $70 per person (ages 2 and up).

Then the 70 is round trip from airport to port to airport. Or 35 per person from resort to port than 35 from port to airport. Given that's 70 times 4, I would still check a one way rental. It might be cheaper. Since the rentals are all a shuttle to the port, you may want to drop off the rest of the family, return the car and meet up via the rental shuttle. Otherwise, I think the resort to port stops at several resorts before heading to the port, but the one from the airport goes directly to and from it. Have a great trip either way. We are I would say more DCL fans than WDW fans now that my kids are teens.

Then the 70 is round trip from airport to port to airport. Or 35 per person from resort to port than 35 from port to airport. Given that's 70 times 4, I would still check a one way rental. It might be cheaper. Since the rentals are all a shuttle to the port, you may want to drop off the rest of the family, return the car and meet up via the rental shuttle. Otherwise, I think the resort to port stops at several resorts before heading to the port, but the one from the airport goes directly to and from it. Have a great trip either way. We are I would say more DCL fans than WDW fans now that my kids are teens.

Thank you! My husband has been to WDW several times and this would be the first for my girls and I! I know one day at the park isn't much but figure until they get older ( 2/4 at the time we are going) it will be ok!

I would try calling Disney they have the magical express to and from the airport to the resorts I would explain to them you are going on the cruise and want a day at magic ask if them if it possible to take the magical express to the grand floridian or the poly from there you can use the monorail to get to magic and back to the resort then use the express to get to airport .Not sure if they will allow you to or not since your not staying at one of the resorts but did pay for the cruise ( if your using the Disney cruise )so it doesn't hurt to ask .(don't try and just show up and get on they won't just let you but if they give you permission then may not have to pay anything to get there )All they can do is say no but never hurts to ask before you pay all that money to get to and from when you didn't have to .(another note the lynx 111 goes to the airport then over to SeaWorld it's 2 a person or $4.50 for a day pass kids under 6 ride free at SeaWorld the lynx 50 goes to magic so you either cut your cost in half by getting to SeaWorld then taking the cab or taking the 50 the rest of the way before doing so you will probably want to check the schedules so you get where you need to be on time or use this one way to get there and use a taxi to get back may cut some money off your ride )Good luck I know ever penny counts on vacation

Last edited:
Using Magical Express this way is not allowed. The Lynx option will take a great deal of time and with 2 little ones, sounds difficult. And none of this solves the issue of getting to the port for the cruise.
I agree a one day rental may be cheapest.

They should have a shuttle that goes to port from the airport .I have never been on the cruise but I seen the cruise shuttle that go to the port you have to contact Disney to find where you can catch them but I through the one went to airport .As for the Lynx bus I used it once it takes about 45 minutes to get to Sea World but the airport isn't close to Disney so anywhere is going to be a good hike and costly .The cost of a cab from Seaworld is a lot cheaper and the taxi are usually sitting the parking lot but the 50 bus didn't seem to take that to get to Magic .I know Disney used to have a land and sea option but don't think they offer it anymore .(wow they charge per person for the cruise shuttle that's just crazy use the rental car the shuttle to the resorts is free that's just crazy I think they are ripping you off I guess it's a long hike but wow I would check through because I know I have seen the cruise buses pull into the resorts and it may possible that can just got to one of the resorts from magic and catch the shuttle either way it's going to pricy so check opinions )

Last edited:
Vskimming through, either renting a car for a week, or would it work to get to the port and turn it in, then shuttle to the airport. That could be still more money. Cost for the Disney tickets is high too for adult 1 day is about $100. You may be able to price Uber Black for a SUV to get back to the airport.
Just thinking out loud.

So where are you staying on the night of the 6th? Assuming you are getting an early flight on the 6th. If it's a WDW resort hotel, then you can get a free ride via the Magical express from the airport to the resort. Then have your travel agent arrange for Disney transportation to port and then to the airport. If you are not staying at a Disney hotel, then I still think the cheapest is renting a car.

I hope you have a great cruise and fun at MK. The kids' ages are perfect for that park. Even though the day is costly, it will get the kids in the Disney spirit and holiday decorations. They'll have fun on the cruise too. Lots of characters on board, and a beautiful ship.

A rental car is going to be your best option. Otherwise, you'll have to pay for a car service or cab, then find a place to store your bags, then cab or car service to port....that's expensive. I would rent at the airport, drive to WDW, enjoy your day, then head to port.
Now, you don't say where you're staying the night of the 6th. You might want to book a night at a WDW resort...say an AllStars. Then, you can use DME to get to the resort. You'll have a place to keep your bags, and get a good nights sleep. Then, take the DCL shuttle over to port in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter