Character Meet and Greet Questions

These are from our trip last week, no flash but a fair amount of color correcting for the ambient light. I carry a micro 4/3 camera so f/4 has similar depth of field as f/8 on full frame (or so I read). Also, Panasonic's premium 12-35 and 35-100 lenses are at their sharpest (which is very sharp) at f/2.8. Yep, wide open! So much for the old "stop down about 2 stops for best sharpness...".

hannah_sarah_ariel_1050515.jpg

hannah_belle_1050708.jpg

These are from our trip last week, no flash but a fair amount of color correcting for the ambient light. I carry a micro 4/3 camera so f/4 has similar depth of field as f/8 on full frame (or so I read). Also, Panasonic's premium 12-35 and 35-100 lenses are at their sharpest (which is very sharp) at f/2.8. Yep, wide open! So much for the old "stop down about 2 stops for best sharpness...".

Bob. Nice shots. So u shot those at f4 and was able to keep everyone sharp. Nice. Thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Your character meet photos always look great! :thumbsup2
How are you using the flash? Is it direct, diffused or bounced off a wall/ceiling? Are you using a higher ISO and a lower power flash output just as fill?

I believe a lot of people stick to auto, when they use flash. That's when the subject becomes very bright and you get a dark background and shadow.

Thanks!

I always struggle with the character meets. I want to get the photos, but I want to be in the moment enjoying it as well.

I usually set my ISO based on the ambient light. I use the flash TTL but dial back the exposure compensation about 2/3 of a stop. I often just put it in program so I don't have to think about it too much and can enjoy the moment.

I do have a plastic diffuser dome on the flash, but don't know if that really does much. I have recently started bouncing the flash a lot, but have not tried it at Disney. So many of those locations just don't have the best surfaces for bouncing. I shoot in RAW to leave myself as much latitude to fix issues when I have time behind the computer when I have the luxury of time. The character shots are some of my favorites at Disney, so I really just like to play it safe.

@nvtsallo I have a Nikon D7100 with the sigma 17-50 2.8 OS. Flash Nikon sb-400.

Thanks. The reason I ask is i am torn on bringing a little 270ex ii or larger 430ex ii for my next trip. I have done a few trips with the 270 but having the larger 600 i am thinking the 430 may have the more raw light for harsh daytime shots. Your thoughts? Were there times you wished you had more power?

Thanks!

I always struggle with the character meets. I want to get the photos, but I want to be in the moment enjoying it as well.

I usually set my ISO based on the ambient light. I use the flash TTL but dial back the exposure compensation about 2/3 of a stop. I often just put it in program so I don't have to think about it too much and can enjoy the moment.

I do have a plastic diffuser dome on the flash, but don't know if that really does much. I have recently started bouncing the flash a lot, but have not tried it at Disney. So many of those locations just don't have the best surfaces for bouncing. I shoot in RAW to leave myself as much latitude to fix issues when I have time behind the computer when I have the luxury of time. The character shots are some of my favorites at Disney, so I really just like to play it safe.

If u use one of joe demb saucers like I use u do t need a ceiling or surface to bounce off. U use the saucer tilted forward a bit. I have shot in rooms with crap brown ceilings and my pics didnt take on the color of the ceiling g with the saucer a bit forward and the flash straight up. I love using it at Disney. Not huge and fits in my pocket.

If u use one of joe demb saucers like I use u do t need a ceiling or surface to bounce off. U use the saucer tilted forward a bit. I have shot in rooms with crap brown ceilings and my pics didnt take on the color of the ceiling g with the saucer a bit forward and the flash straight up. I love using it at Disney. Not huge and fits in my pocket.

I actually have been considering getting one of those. Glad to hear you like yours.

Thanks. The reason I ask is i am torn on bringing a little 270ex ii or larger 430ex ii for my next trip. I have done a few trips with the 270 but having the larger 600 i am thinking the 430 may have the more raw light for harsh daytime shots. Your thoughts? Were there times you wished you had more power?

The sb 400 have little power to bounce on rooftops. Maybe next time i will bring a sb-700.

I think you will be better with the 430 ex ii.

I actually have been considering getting one of those. Glad to hear you like yours.

I also have the Gary fong some and used it o ly a few times as compared to joes saucer. I fe u can control the white balance with his product way easier.

The sb 400 have little power to bounce on rooftops. Maybe next time i will bring a sb-700.

I think you will be better with the 430 ex ii.

Thanks. I think i am going to get the 430 ex ii. Still smaller than m 600ex rt.

I just came back from DL where I used my flash (C 600RX-ET) on most of my shots (indoor and outdoor character shoots plus outdoor portraits), basically everything except landscapes or scenery shots.

I shoot RAW so getting rid of the color cast isn't a big deal but the flash provides consistent lighting (flash shots usually don't require any WB correction). I usually shot in Manual mode and would quickly blast off a shot while waiting in line to see the character just to see if my settings were producing well exposed photos so I'd be set when my daughters' turn came up.

Another advantage in the outdoor character shoots with flash is that the flash "highlights" the subject of interest (my daughters with character) so when using LR4 I turn down the "Shadows" lighting and people/distractions in the background disappear (or become a lot less noticeable). Without the flash the outdoor lighting on everything would be the same so getting rid of the background emphasis would be a lot tougher!

In the outdoor portraits the use of flash helped me get rid of the daylight shadows so I could shoot with the sun behind my subjects and still get a decent subject exposure.

Is Merida still outdoors? If so, by far one of the easiest meet and greet shoots, in my opinion.

ISO 500, f/4.5, 1/160

dd17p by 4forSarah, on Flickr

I think the lighting in almost all the indoor meet and greets is terrible. Ariel wasn't too bad. I'm a flash (Speedlight) bouncer. Fill-in flash is just not my photography style. I was able to bounce for Ariel.

ISO 500, f/5.0, 1/80

dd17j by 4forSarah, on Flickr

ISO 1600, f/4.0, 1/250 (shutter didn't neet to be that fast, oh well) I did bounce the flash up and behind me.

jan29d by 4forSarah, on Flickr

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter