Character Dining - First Timers

Jarmo

Mouseketeer
We're planning on doing a character meal for the first time now that we'll have a 22 month old in tow. What's a good choice for that age range? I've been looking at the breakfast buffets, but are there good lunch options as well? I'm thinking lunch time would be less hectic for us.

Mickey ("Meeka Mouse") is her favorite, but she also loves Sophia and Doc McStuffins. I don't think she would care as much about the costumed princesses.

We did breakfast at Holywood and Vine and Chef Mickeys. I wasn't blown away by the food at either but good character interactions. We went with our DD5 and DS2 at the time. He still talks about meeting all the characters.

Hollywood and Vine is great because the character interaction is fun and if your child watches Disney Junior then she will be familiar with all of them. We actually liked the food too. The only thing that I would consider is that the characters can be a little scary at first. My 3 year-old said that she was nervous because the characters "are so big". We ended up getting her an autograph book because it helped her break the ice and be less nervous about the interaction.

We were dining at Chef Mickey's for breakfast, with my 3 and 5 year old nieces the last day of our vacation. The 3 year old had for the entire vacation been too scared to go to any of the characters, while she warmed up to visit Ariel, she freaked out when we met Mickey and Winnie the Pooh in the character meet n greet locations at the parks. However at Chef Mickey's she was okay meeting the characters, I think it was because they came to our table. Also the table behind us had twin girls in Minnie Mouse outfits that looked to be around 18 months old and I watched them meet Goofy and Mickey, but when Minnie showed up, they went through the roof with excitement, it was so adorable.

Chef Mickeys is always busy but if you never feel rushed nor do the characters seem to be rushed when at your table.

Hollywood and Vine as stated by pp, is a wonderful option to visit Princess Sofia and Doc McStuffins in an air conditioned environment. The food is lack luster, but the desserts were the best I had had on my trip. Are whole family loved the food at Chef Mickey's as there was a HUGE selection, which was great because we have two very picky eaters.

Thanks for the input, our current rez is for Hollywood & Vine at breakfast. Is lunch there a character buffet as well?

We have no concerns about her getting scared. Last year at 10 months she loved the Beast and every other costumed character, wouldn't stop laughing and squealing. She's seen a couple other characters recently at events around our town. Thankful the squealing has stopped but she still loves them.

We had breakfast at Hollywood and Vine with our DD4 and I think it was our favorite character breakfast. Lots of singing and dancing. We thought it was a very good buffet and our daughter loved the interaction. We had no complaints about food or service.

Hollywood and Vine is a character meal for breakfast and lunch. No characters at dinner. If she loves Sofia and Doc, then this is a great one for those characters. We enjoyed this one last year. If you can get it, Garden Grill at Epcot is great. Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale were so much fun her when we went and came around at least 3 times each during our dinner. It is only open for dinner. Food was really good too.

I see that your DD was good with the characters at 10 months, but don't be surprised if she is scared this time. Right around 18-24 months old was when my kids started to be afraid even though they were fine at 8-12 months. They tend to start developing their fears around 18 months unfortunately. Hopefully your DD will be fine but I would try her with one of the park meet and greets first just to make sure that your meal will not cause a meltdown.

Good point, if you don't want the overwhelmingness of Chef Mickey's, and you like the food on the Garden Grill menu, its one of our favorites......and the characters are great!

I wasn't a huge fan of the food at Hollywood and Vine, but the character interactions were great and they even let the kids have a dance party with them. If you're looking for a good food and character spot I'd suggest Tusker House. It's the only character meal we've done where we actually enjoy the food, but there is no mickey though. And no matter what you choose do breakfast as it is the most reasonably priced

Have you thought about Garden Grill? This one was a favorite of my 4 yo dgd. The characters come to you in you booth, and the food is AYCTE but at the table. It was not so loud and chaotic as chef Mickey and crystal palace

Our favorite character breakfasts are 1900 Park Fare, Cape May Cafe, and Ohana's. We are headed to WDW in a couple weeks and are also going to Crystal Palace and Tusker House. That being said, we've never been to Tusker House and wanted to check out a dinning experience at AK, besides the usually counter service meals we do.

We did the H&V character lunch & it was good. Service was a little slow, but it's fun for the kids, they get up & dance every 10 min or so, the characters come to each table. We somehow missed jake, but the server told the mgr and we were taken across the restaurant to where he was and allowed to meet & pose for pics so we could get out of there, which I thought was really nice. The buffet is a nice selection of foods.

If your little one likes Mickey(Meeka Mouse) :) the Garden Grill in Epcot would be a good choice. There is also Chip and Dale and Pluto which are always fun. The Oven Roasted Drum Stick with the Mac and Cheese is great for the little ones. My little brother really seems to enjoy that meal although he is much older than 22 months now.

I agree with Garden Grill. Hollywood and Vine is okay, and we liked Chef Mickey's but it is very expensive. If Mickey is her favorite, Garden Grill is a good pick and the food is good and served family style.

If you can do dinner instead, I'm another vote for Garden Grill. The interactions I've had there have been better than at the buffets ands it's a more relaxing meal in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter