Character Attendants

xheather96

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I am planning on applying for DCP Spring 2016. I have a few role preferences in mind, one of them including Character Attendant. However, I can't really seem to find much on people's experiences with the role during their program. I'd like to know a bit more about it: what a day is typically like, what more specifically it is that you would have to do/know, is there a lot to memorize, how often you change locations, etc etc.

If anyone here can elaborate on their time as a Character Attendant, or point me in the direction of a blog or two that describes the experience, that would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi everyone! I am planning on applying for DCP Spring 2016. I have a few role preferences in mind, one of them including Character Attendant. However, I can't really seem to find much on people's experiences with the role during their program. I'd like to know a bit more about it: what a day is typically like, what more specifically it is that you would have to do/know, is there a lot to memorize, how often you change locations, etc etc.

If anyone here can elaborate on their time as a Character Attendant, or point me in the direction of a blog or two that describes the experience, that would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi there. I was a CA on 2 programs (and am currently a full time CA at MK). To answer your questions:
A typical day would depend on the location (as MK is my current location, most answers will be based off of that), as you could be in dining, at a show, or a meet and greet location. For all of the above, you first check in to let them know you've arrived (and then head off to the location). Dining is pretty basic- you pretty much keep an eye on the characters, going around to the tables to make sure books are open/cameras are ready/ect. For MK the dining locations are Crystal Palace (Pooh and friends), Royal Table (Cinderella and princesses), Chef Mickey's (VIPs), Be Our Guest dinner (Beast), Mickey's Backyard BBQ (VIPs). Meet and greet locations are also pretty basic. At those you keep an eye on the character(s), assist with books, help with taking pictures (especially if there is no Photopass), make sure the line is orderly, answer questions, stuff like that. Lastly...shows. There are 2 CAs can work- Dream Along with Mickey and Pirate Tuitorial. For these you make sure guests don't go where they shouldn't (under ropes, ect), answer questions, really easy shifts (and at Tuitorial you help when the kids go up on the stage).

As a CA, you don't have to memorize anything (unless trained at Enchanted Tales with Belle)

As a CP, you're filling in the holes of shifts the full timers didn't want. So it's possible to work multiple locations in a week. Typically you are statused to one park, but it is possible to be scheduled a shift at a different park

I hope this helped. If you have any other questions, I can try to answer them :)

Not a character attendant, but I have friends who are/were.

As for memorization, you probably won't have any scripts to memorize, but at whatever location you're at, you'll want to know the location of the nearest restroom, smoking area, and how to get to pretty much every attraction in the park, because you will be asked those questions. You also could be asked questions about the character(s) that you're with, so re-watching their movies or cartoons is never a bad idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!