Changes at Gatport Airwick?

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by Goofyish, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Goofyish

Goofyish DIS Veteran

The last time we flew frm Gatwick was in 2003. I'm sure I read that the way you get to the plane has been changed. We used the little train thingy to get to the gate - is that gone now?

Do you have to walk to the gate, or is there a bus?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Claire L

Claire L <font color=blue>Enjoys a good broadway show<br><f

Ah yes that has now gone and there is a long walk way with alot of conveyer belts :teeth: to the satellite terminal on the South. As for the North that has a fab new extention with the huge tall walkway. We have been on both this year :)
    Claire ;)

4. mandymouse

mandymouse <font color=red>If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Moderator

Changes at Gatport Airwick? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yes Tim the little monorail thingy has gone now

5. widget

widget va-va-voom!

Walkways?? Conveyor belts??? (Are these for the luggage - or the passengers??)
    We havent flown from Gatwick since 2003 too and didnt know there were changes. So what do we have to do now in the South Terminal thats different?? :earseek: Dont like changes!!!!!

6. Miffy2003

Miffy2003 <font color=orange>I've got Saratoga Springs - mak

There were lots of corridors and a bus in December 2004!

7. FizzyPop

FizzyPop <font color=339933>Has a fear of tea-bags, especia

we went in september and had to walk :) they have the little conveyer belts that you stand on.. We had to walk miles (well it felt like miles) in september to get to our gate.

8. gilld

gilld <font color=deeppink>Will just have the butler ope

Yes, in September we had to walk along the travelators - a VERY long way! I think VA are using different gates now.

9. SimonV

SimonV Proud to have called Bob Varley 'friend'

No, the gate numbers are exactly the same, but the method of getting there is (as suggested) all new. The simple fact is you have to walk (and stand on the moving walkways) along a new interior corridor system that adds at least 5 minutes to the time you need to get to the gate. It DOES seem like a long way and something of a retrograde step, though.

10. mickg7dyd

mickg7dyd DIS Veteran

Hi,
    We also thought that the landside shopping/dining area (Gatwick Village) isn't as good as it used to be. Lots of shops have gone has as the food court area that overlooked the runways. Took us almost 15 minutes to walk to our gate (No. 35 I think)from the duty free area. Ironic really when you hear how much people complain about Orlando International and this trip we were in our car in less than an hour of landing.

Mick.

:smooth:

11. gilld

Every time we have flown to Orlando in the past( 5 times always the same), we used a gate in a circular satellite, with shops in the middle. There were no individual final waiting rooms just a communal area for all the gates there. This time we went into an individual waiting room and it was NOT a circular area so it is definitely not the same gate we have used previously - no shops either!

Maybe they used a different gate each time we went!

12. Claire L

In Oct 2004 when alot of work was going on we went form gate 19 which wasn't in the satellite area and was an individual waiting area no shops. This past June it was back to gate 33 and the satellite communal area with shops.
    Claire ;)

13. gilld

Well it wasn't from there in September when we went.

14. Claire L

Perhaps they move the gates about sometimes depending on capacity at the airport?? I have heard that sometimes a particualr gate the aircraft was meant to go to was unavailable due to another aircraft not having left it on time? Not too sure really as we were quite surprised in Oct 2004 to not go from the satellite area.

Claire ;)

15. musketeer

musketeer Mouseketeer

We had to walk on these moving walkways a couple of weeks ago it felt like we were never going to get to the gate which was number 32 .

tracy

16. widget

widget va-va-voom!

Seems like you have to trek a fair way to get to the plane then! Must be getting all those legs ready for the walking they will be doing around the parks - what a nice thing for the airport to do for all us passengers!! ;)

17. mikki.young

mikki.young Knows Dreams do come true!

Do Virgin fly from the North or the South terminal to MCO? We are used to BA which goes from the South I think but are going on Virgin next trip so wanted to check! :confused3

18. gilld

VA fly from South Terminal - I thought BA went from North?

19. Obi Wan Kenobi

Obi Wan Kenobi DIS Veteran

just to say all belts were working, all the way to the sattellite on Sat.

20. Claire L

Yes BA do go from the North terminal.

Claire ;)

21. mikki.young

mikki.young Knows Dreams do come true!

Clearly getting my north and south mixed up! I just need to keep remembering Virgins fly South to Florida ;)