Changed Kona res to GF Cafe...thoughts?

mommycrawford

DIS Veteran
Over the last 5 years, have been sat at the same BAD table at Kona....Love the food, but find the ambiance lacking (I did mention bad seating.)

After all the wonderful comments about GF cafe, I thought we'd give it a try.

Anybody have any thoughts?...menus,...experience?

TIA!:flower3:

We really enjoyed them both. GF Cafe was a pleasant surprise on this last trip. The service was great and the restaurant itself was very pretty. Oh and the food was wonderful.

Love, love, love the GFC for lunch! The Grand Sandwich is to die for, and service has always been terrific during our numerous visits.

We've eaten at both. We loved Kona, and I'm shock how may people don't like it. We also like GFC. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

We thought the food at GFC was good, more formal feel. Kona was more fun location.

If I get a table I don't like, I just ask to move. I will not set in a high traffic area. It drives me crazy to be by the main door going to the kitchen. Your paying for it so make sure you like where you sit. ;);)

I've eaten at both, and have just the opposite reaction to most of the opinions here. I love GFC. However, the one time I ate at Kona, it was just OK-truthfully, I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about from the people who love it so. There was one dessert I really wanted to try (I think it was some kind of pyramid-I don't remember for sure), but although they had a display of their dessert offerings, and although we asked to see it, it was never made. I loved the caesar salad at GFC-once I had chicken, once shrimp.

We've ate at Kona several times - love the Tonga Toast and the wasabi Bloody Marys but other than that - it's just OK. We've had lunch at GF Cafe once and it was great. We are trying it for dinner in a couple of week.

We had the best meal EVER on our last trip at GFC. My nanny is still talking about it...

I would skip Kona and head here for an awesome steak. DH had the burger (with lobster/asparagus/hollendaise) and he just about keeled over he loved it so much...

Last time we ate at Kona the service was so ssssllllooowww! The food was good, but it took us hours to finish the meal here! Be warned!

We've ate at Kona several times - love the Tonga Toast and the wasabi Bloody Marys but other than that - it's just OK. We've had lunch at GF Cafe once and it was great. We are trying it for dinner in a couple of week.

Those are the 2 reasons I booked it for breakfast on our next trip!!

I've eaten at both, and have just the opposite reaction to most of the opinions here. I love GFC. However, the one time I ate at Kona, it was just OK-truthfully, I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about from the people who love it so. There was one dessert I really wanted to try (I think it was some kind of pyramid-I don't remember for sure), but although they had a display of their dessert offerings, and although we asked to see it, it was never made. I loved the caesar salad at GFC-once I had chicken, once shrimp.

Are you thinking of Boma and Zebra Domes?

Anyway, I dig Kona-- more unique offerings done well. GFC's okay too though.

We ate at both last week. We have always been fans of Kona, however our last trip we had dinner at GF for the 1st time and it was the best meal of the trip. We had Kona the night after GF and Kona did not measure up for us this time. I think there is new chef at Kona so the food is lacking something now, but still good. But GF is now a must do.

GF is a much better choice for dinner than Kona, much quieter, better food and service and more intimate setting

We had an amazing dinner there and the dessert sampler plate is to die for

Totally agree with Mickey Nicki above. GFC is one of our must do's now! Our dinner here was really delish and dessert was amazing! I personally like the atmosphere here better, much more relaxing and serene. I'd go with this over Kona for dinner.:thumbsup2

Are you thinking of Boma and Zebra Domes?

No, I'm sure it was at Kona Cafe-the Kona Kone, perhaps? Ironically it worked out to be a good thing that we didn't have dessert. The plate shown in my countdown picture is what they gave us gratis at the Kona Cafe for our anniversary. That AND a dessert from the menu would have been too much.

We had a fantatstic lunch at GFC last Oct. I had the Nicoise Salad, DH had the GF Burger with lobster, asparagus & hollendaise. Both were outstanding. I wanted to try dinner there, but I like their lunch menu better than their dinner menu, so we're sticking to lunch.

I used to love Kona, but my last trip there was a little disappointing. That was lunch & I had the Fish Tacos. Not so hot.

IMHO, I'll do lunch at GFC & dinner at Kona.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter