Chance of swimming in December?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by we3travellers, Sep 10, 2013.

1. mevelandry

mevelandry DIS Veteran

Yeah, I think we've been lucky.

Not so lucky during our honeymoon in 2011 (october which is usually confortable I was told). Between 50 and 65 degrees all week.:crazy2:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. spiceycat

spiceycat <font color=blue>Own at BWV, VWL and BLT<br><font

love dec - the holiday decorations & lights are so great.

the weather can be iffy - been there when high was in the 90 (generally 80/70's) and one time the high was in the 30's.

it is even hard for the seasoned weather people - so bring your summer stuff and winter.....:rolleyes1 because when the cold weather comes in - it is fast.

you might get a couple of days warning - but always be prepared.

one day it might be in the 70's - next day 40's or lower (f)

wish the Dec weather was more predicatable - but it is not.

4. KonaKaiTom

KonaKaiTom DIS Veteran

We were at POR in January 2012 -- I went out for my morning run at 6:00am and it was down to low 40s. T shirt and shorts and brisk pace, but it was chilly. After getting showered and getting the girls up and ready to go to breakfast, we saw our next door neighbors from Houston heading for breakfast also, in hats, sweatshirts, and their blankets wrapped around them. I was at least low 50s at that point! I guess everyone has a different threshold.

Tom

5. Dizzytime

Dizzytime DIS Veteran

We've been there once in early Dec, many times in early Jan (all stays for about 7-10 days) and have always had at least a few days of swimming and even sunning weather. Obviously it can be very different from that, but the nice winter weather in Fla is one of the reasons we love that time of year there! :goodvibes

6. si-am

si-am DIS Veteran

Everyone's right. You can go from shorts and tee-shirts to coats and gloves in a matter of days in December. Pack the swim suits just incase (and pack some coats and gloves, too!)

7. rosiebean

rosiebean Mouseketeer

Christmas week 2005, had a few chilly nights, but warm days. Warm enough (80s) for us to swim. I actually wanted to swim more, but we were with extended family and didn't get to go to the pool so much.

8. Terpgirl79

Terpgirl79 Mouseketeer

Was at AKL a few years back in Dec and swam a couple times. Pool was heated but was quite chilly getting out. Other trips in Dec we found it just too chilly. I'd bring a suit and play it by ear.

9. Happyjen27

Happyjen27 DIS Veteran

I went last year. Right after Thanksgiving they were in a terrible cold snap, even cold for my coworker who lives here in NY. We went 2 weeks later and had 80 degree days and my kids swam every day.

I think there is no way of knowing. I would just inform DS of when I want to go, and welcome him to come along. Or he could stay home with a babysitter.;)

10. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

December weather is very unpredictable, so there's no way to know for sure how warm it will be. We've been twice in December and had different weather each time. The first time we swam on our arrival day, but the pool had to be closed for the rest of the week due to the cold. We actually had to buy coats and gloves to keep warm (and we are used to very cold temps). On our second December trip, we were able to swim 3 or 4 days out of the week as temps were in the mid 80s. We spend a lot of time at the resort on our trips and we love hanging out at the pool, and while we were a little disappointed that we couldn't swim much on our first December trip, we loved being in Disney that time of year as the parks and resorts are beautifully decorated and we had great time, even without pool time. Good luck.

11. HM

HM My tag from the Tag Fairy is now too long to use.

We've been in December three times over the years. Once the first week and the other times just before and thru Christmas day. We swam all three times. One Christmas trip we even did a waterpark. You can definitely do it. Would we have liked it to be a bit warmer, sure. But it was in the mid-70s in the afternoons and therefore doable.

12. DevonsDisneyMom

DevonsDisneyMom DIS Veteran

It's hit or miss!! When we went in December of 2008 and 2012 we were able to swim everyday we were there! In 2010 thou we were there during the cold snap that came thru and no pool. Just as a note the pools are heated to 80 degrees

13. we3travellers

we3travellers Mouseketeer

Thanks to all of you! This makes me very hopeful that we can all get what we want from our vacay. It also gives me plenty of "ammo" to convince DH. ;) I guess we just need an extra suitcase in order to be prepared for anything! And yes, giving DS the alternative to stay home with a sitter would definitely keep him quiet about the weather. On a side note, we were last there in Aug 2012 and just about melted :crazy2:....this will be a welcome change for touring the parks! :thumbsup2

14. sabcook

sabcook Mouseketeer

We always go the first week of December. Here's what we had....

2012 - mild- lots of swimming in the heated pool at WL
    2010- freezing - the kids got in at the Poly pool but just till their lips turned blue!
    2008 - warm - the kids swam every day and I even got in once or twice.

15. MaleficentRN

MaleficentRN DIS Veteran

The good thing is that a swimsuit doesn't take up much room. Bring it, just in case.

16. mkymouse40

mkymouse40 Mouseketeer

You most definitely can swim in December. The last two years I was there in early to mid December and we had days in both extremes. We had mid 80 days and we also had long johns, gloves, hat, scarves & heavy coat days. It is really weird.

Even if it is in the 70s, kids love to swim. They don't mind it a bit. Take everything, be prepared and enjoy!