Chance of Lightning & 25 Other Friends at Connor's First Birthday, Birthday Party!

Unless I have a daughter, I doubt I can convince Crap to stay in The Little Mermaid Wing. The boys would probably love the Cars Wing.

As the only girl in the family, I can sympathise. DH is more easy going but DS would NOT ever want to be seen with anything girly.

As the only girl in the family, I can sympathise. DH is more easy going but DS would NOT ever want to be seen with anything girly.

Xander never has a problem with anything girlie, so he would probably love it. Granted, I am sure he would prefer the Cars building though.

The in-room celebration looks awesome! I love all the little touches that were included like the mickey footprints and the banner! The boys looked like they enjoyed it very much, what a wonderful memory! I have to say that I would love to stay at the DLH for those headboards alone, falling asleep to a fireworks show on my headboard every night, sounds delightful!

I'm the only girl as well...but my husband and son both have the hots for Ariel. Sounds creepier than it really is. :confused3

We are DVC so we stay exclusively at the DVC properties but I'd love to check out some of the other resorts. Disneyland hotel looks gorgeous! We are doing GCH because of the points. I saw your other TR where you stayed at the GF...I can't wait until the DVC opens up there!

We stayed in one of those refurbished rooms a couple years ago when we stayed overnight for a band performance. We had reserved a DVC Villa for the weekend we thought our band would play and then Disney gave us our second choice of six dates, so we had to scramble to cancel the Villa and the only thing left was to book at the DLH converting Vacation points to Reservations points.

While the room wasn't a Villa, we loved the headboard and I kept it on all night while we slept! I thought it was very magical!

Your in-room celebration was neat too, I'm guessing though at Disney prices it was pretty darned expensive!

The in-room celebration looks awesome! I love all the little touches that were included like the mickey footprints and the banner! The boys looked like they enjoyed it very much, what a wonderful memory! I have to say that I would love to stay at the DLH for those headboards alone, falling asleep to a fireworks show on my headboard every night, sounds delightful!

I was pleased with the in room celebration. Crap and the boys really liked it too. The headboard was stunning. Xander probably liked it the most. He did not want to turn in off at nights either, and protested when Crap insisted.

I'm the only girl as well...but my husband and son both have the hots for Ariel. Sounds creepier than it really is. :confused3

We are DVC so we stay exclusively at the DVC properties but I'd love to check out some of the other resorts. Disneyland hotel looks gorgeous! We are doing GCH because of the points. I saw your other TR where you stayed at the GF...I can't wait until the DVC opens up there!

It does not sound Creepy at all. I get it.

I have the opposite philosophy, since we are not owners. My goal was to stay at as many non DVC properties as I can before we become members. When I first booked the GF (01/18/11), no one knew a DVC would be built there. Had I known, I would have booked the Poly instead. One day, I will be a DVC owner. Since the point conversion is not a good use of points, I want to stay at all of the non DVC properties now. That philosophy and the cost of staying at the GC is why I chose The Disneyland Hotel. It was nice. Disneyland can use some more DVC units. They should build some at The Disneyland Hotel or some additional ones at the Grand Californian.

We stayed in one of those refurbished rooms a couple years ago when we stayed overnight for a band performance. We had reserved a DVC Villa for the weekend we thought our band would play and then Disney gave us our second choice of six dates, so we had to scramble to cancel the Villa and the only thing left was to book at the DLH converting Vacation points to Reservations points.

While the room wasn't a Villa, we loved the headboard and I kept it on all night while we slept! I thought it was very magical!

Your in-room celebration was neat too, I'm guessing though at Disney prices it was pretty darned expensive!

I am glad you got to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. Every time that I read there were no units available to owners, it only re-confirms the idea that they need more DVC units at Disneyland. Since the points are expensive there, I am honestly thinking of just paying cash for all Disneyland visits and using the points for Disneyworld visits as Pikaboo27 suggested. If I ever get to a point where I have a lot of points (like you and Fran), then I can use points everywhere we go.

Crap did not allow Xander to keep the headboard on all night, but he tried.

It was more expensive than Crap and I agreed on, but he said it was worth it when he saw Connor's continious reaction to the balloon. I was glad he ended up being okay with it, because I will do it again if we ever go on another birthday.

We left our hotel room in search of food. Our destination was Downtown Disney. A landmark that would be very familiar through our stay was the hat just outside our hotel tower.

110-1.jpg

I purposely left our curtains open, because I wanted to see if the in room celebration was visible from the sidewalk. It looked like shadows, but it was visible. Tink was even visible, which I thought was pretty neat.

130-1.jpg

I was in the mood for something new, so we passed by The Rainforest Café and ESPN Zone. We had eaten at both of those locations in Vegas.

111-1.jpg

We passed the Lego Store. Xander informed us the moment he saw it that he wanted to buy some things. I told him he would go there later, since we were in search of food in the moment. Crap and I never discussed a shopping budget for Xander, so I did not even know what if anything he would get when we finally made it in there. Only time would tell. The creations outside are better than I remember from our last visit. I still feel like the creations at Disneyworld are better though.

113-1.jpg

114-1.jpg

Then, we passed a Brave poster. Xander was very excited when he saw it. He told me he wanted to see that movie. I told him it was not even out yet, but I had already purchased tickets for them to watch it this weekend. Downtown Disney has so many great buildings, stores, activities, restaurants. It is hard to pass by it without everyone getting excited, adults included. Although I did not get any pictures, there were live musicians who were fantastic.

112-1.jpg

We walked by Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen. I have wanted to eat there for a while. Even though we had done some takeout items next door, beignets, we had never dined in the actual restaurant. Hoping to get lucky, I walked up to the podium and asked if they could seat a walk-in party of four. Not only could they seat us, but there was no wait. By the time we parked the stroller, our table was ready. It is not often we get that lucky at Disney. There would be a longer wait for a table at every meal we actually had a priority seating for. Luckily, even our longest wait was nowhere near the hour we waited for our ADR at Mama Melrose’s on our last WDW trip.

115-1.jpg

116-1.jpg

Our seats were right near the front of the restaurant. We were seated to the left of this.

117-1.jpg

118-1.jpg

For anyone who may have been thinking that Connor was not dressed particularly masculine, the lady at the table next to ours would agree with you. His shirt was a gift from the Baby Rebel Lab at UNLV. He participated in a study, and got the shirt at the conclusion of the study as a thank you. I like to support our Alma Mater whenever possible, so I volunteer Connor’s services to the studies. The shirt is for girls and boys, so it does not scream either gender. She told us how pretty my daughter was as soon as we sat down. I thanked her and told her that I hoped to have a daughter someday. Then, she could not get over how pretty my little boy was. Our server came around then and agreed that Connor was a good looking kid.

Our server was very friendly. She loved that we were from Vegas and said she goes there whenever she can. I told her that we appreciate that, because it helps us go to Disney whenever we can. We both got a kick out of how we help each other take vacations to the place we each want to go most. She was a fantastic server. It felt more like she was a friend of ours. By the end of the meal, I felt like I had known her a long time. If the meal had lasted ten minutes longer, I may have told her to call me next time she came to Vegas.

A different server, who was also very friendly, walked up to our table when she saw me nursing Connor. She said that I reminded her or herself. Whenever she goes out to eat, her five month old daughter always wanted to nurse through the entire meal. Wanting to wean around the six month mark, she asked me how old Connor was. When I informed her he was going to be one the next day, she was surprised. He is very small for his age, so I get that reaction a lot. After a long conversation and congratulating me on making it a whole year with nursing, she whisked away. Through the rest of the meal, she would smile at Connor and wave every time she passed by.

119-1.jpg

Everyone was still in a great mood, so we were enjoying our time in the restaurant. It only got better when the food arrived.

Crap had the New York strip with what I think was sweet potato fries. His appetizer which I do not have a picture of was Soup Du Jour. The Penfolds Shiraz was to his liking. Xander did not want any dessert, so Crap ate the sundae that came with his kid’s meal. He was very pleased with everything.

129-1.jpg

Xander had grilled cheese with a side of Mac and Cheese. He did not want the celery or carrots that came as an appetizer, so I ate his celery. Even though he did not eat much of the Mac and Cheese, he finished the grilled cheese. Both were good he claimed.

122-1.jpg

I had gumbo, which was fantastic. My filet was cooked to perfection. There was a potato, egg dish that came with the steak. It was absolutely wonderful. The double chocolate bread pudding tasted similar to a soufflé. Even though it was the thing I liked least, it was still pretty good.

120-1.jpg

121-1.jpg

123-1.jpg

Connor ate a little off our plates but not a lot since he nursed for a long time while we were there.

Everything about the meal was amazing from the lack of wait, to the staff, to the atmosphere, to our friendly table neighbors, to everyone from our group being in a great mood. Connor and Xander both did a great job at dinner. We have had a few tough meals with Connor lately, so I was pleasantly surprised with how lovely everything was. My seat faced the front of the restaurant. I even saw parts of Magical going off through the somewhat blocked view. Our Disneyland trip was off to a great start. As promised, we took pictures of the receipts when we remembered. This was the pre-tip receipt. With tip, the meal was a little over $150. It was worth every penny.

128-1.jpg

Knowing Crap had to work after dinner, I suggested I take the boys around Downtown Disney and do a little shopping. It was obvious they were not tired. Connor napped for a while in the car. Crap said he would just work after we finished shopping in Downtown Disney. Since it was obvious he did not want us to go shopping that night without him, and I knew he had to work, we all went up to the room together.

When we returned to the room, Crap immediately went to work. It was already after 10pm. I unpacked all of our things while the boys played. They were so wound up that it took them a while to settle down. We had a hard time keeping them quiet. This was one of the many times through the trip that Connor was in bursts of laughter playing with his balloon. Even though I enjoyed it, I worried the people next door may be trying to sleep. Crap made a joke that it looked like we moved in after I was done unpacking. We even packed light, so his joke made me laugh.

124-1.jpg

125-1.jpg

We packed Xander’s Mickey and Minnie from his WDW basket. Even though we packed somewhat light to get everything in the car, I thought these friends were okay. Xander kept his friends with Connor’s new Mickey through the whole trip. He even played with them and Connor most nights when we returned to the room. It was really cute.

127-1.jpg

Our Key to the Magic Cards (minus Crap’s since he does not want anyone to know his real name). Unlike Disneyworld where everyone accepted these cards, we would find some places here that did not accept them.

109-1.jpg

It was time for bed. When we woke up the next morning, we would finally celebrate my baby’s first birthday and see Cars Land. Everyone was pretty excited. Crap turned off the headboard lights, which Xander protested. Eventually, the boys settled down and went to sleep. Right at midnight, I heard Crap say Happy Birthday to Connor. My baby was officially one. Where did the past year go? It seemed like I just had him. Xander’s first year went fast too, but Connor’s was gone before I even knew what happened. I had a hard time falling to sleep, because I was too excited about the day to come. Someone was still hard at work when I finally drifted to sleep, so I hope he was not up too late.

126-1.jpg

Very nice pics from your night at DTD. Glad to hear that you had a great dinner experience at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen. That was a expensive dinner, but the atmosphere made it up for that night.

Nice that Crap woke up at midnight and said happy birthday to Connor for his first birthday.

Great job on your TR. Kim. :thumbsup2

It sounds like a fantastic night! I love the Belle and Beast Lego statues, those are great!

I'm with you, I like to try something new on vacation! Maddie always wants to go to RFC in Chicago and then again at WDW. I'd rather try somewhere not available to us here.

That meal looks and sounds amazing! I didn't think Connor looked like a girl, I thought he looked adorable and can't believe how big he's gotten! That's a great picture of the two of you.

Everyone thought Maddie was a boy when she was younger because she had no hair. She was usually wearing pink or purple, but we still got the comments. :confused3

The service sounds wonderful! A good server can really make or break a meal, and it sounds like you had a great one!

Yay for good behavior from Xander! We've been having some behavior issues ourselves. I've instituted a "3 strikes and your out" policy with Maddie. Not getting 3 strikes in a day earns her a star on her chart and $1. She's dying to go shopping at the Disney Store, so it's helping.

That's sweet that Crap wanted to join you guys for the shopping, and even nicer that you skipped it so that he could get his work done. That's a bummer to have to work on vacation.

Can't wait to hear all about the big birthday celebration!

Very nice pics from your night at DTD. Glad to hear that you had a great dinner experience at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen. That was a expensive dinner, but the atmosphere made it up for that night.

Nice that Crap woke up at midnight and said happy birthday to Connor for his first birthday.

Great job on your TR. Kim. :thumbsup2

Dinner was excellent. There was no a bad moment the entire time we were there. I wish all dinners could be like that. A similar meal here is much more expensive, so we were fine with the cost.

Crap was still working at midnight, so he had not gone to bed yet. I was in bed but still awake. It takes me a long time to fall asleep, and it has been a long time since I was asleep before midnight.

Thanks, Bret.

It sounds like a fantastic night! I love the Belle and Beast Lego statues, those are great!

I'm with you, I like to try something new on vacation! Maddie always wants to go to RFC in Chicago and then again at WDW. I'd rather try somewhere not available to us here.

That meal looks and sounds amazing! I didn't think Connor looked like a girl, I thought he looked adorable and can't believe how big he's gotten! That's a great picture of the two of you.

Everyone thought Maddie was a boy when she was younger because she had no hair. She was usually wearing pink or purple, but we still got the comments. :confused3

The service sounds wonderful! A good server can really make or break a meal, and it sounds like you had a great one!

Yay for good behavior from Xander! We've been having some behavior issues ourselves. I've instituted a "3 strikes and your out" policy with Maddie. Not getting 3 strikes in a day earns her a star on her chart and $1. She's dying to go shopping at the Disney Store, so it's helping.

That's sweet that Crap wanted to join you guys for the shopping, and even nicer that you skipped it so that he could get his work done. That's a bummer to have to work on vacation.

Can't wait to hear all about the big birthday celebration!

It was an excellent night. Our trip was off to a great start, and for a few minutes I even forgot about my phone.

If I really like a place, I enjoy trying counterparts in other cities. While I loved the ESPN Zone that was here, I was also in the mood for a different type of food. Although, the chocolate chip cookie dessert there is something I have dreamt about. We have done the Rainforest Cafe in the Animal Kingdom, and I would love to do the one if Downtown Disney at Disneyland and Disneyworld someday. I will plan those after we eat at many others first. Crap and Xander like to eat at the same restaurants here all the time too. Xander always wants to eat at Rosatti's while Crap always wants to eat at BJ's.

Thanks. There was another picture where Connor looked prettier. I picked that one, because his face looked a little more masculine in it. Here is the other one.

131-1.jpg

Connor still has no hair. I mostly dress him in masculine clothes, but I still get people who call him a girl. Some people are just clueless, and I truly think some people are rude on purpose. If you see a baby dressed in pink or purple, it is not likely a boy. Come on folks. The lady at dinner was very sweet, and his outfit was not gender specific.

Xander can be more challenging than Connor at times, especially when Crap is not there and I am nusring Connor. Lately, Connor has been very challenging. There are times when there is nothing I can do at the table to keep him quiet. We spend a lot of time walking around the restaurant. This just happened to us at dinner last night too.

I am glad you thought of a clever way to give Maddie incentive to maintain good behavior. That is a great idea that I may steal for Xander. He loves to shop, so shopping money may entice him to behave.

It was so obvious Crap did not want us to shop without him, although I never found out why. I knew he needed to work, so I did not want to keep him from it. Even though I was not happy he had to work on vacation, I understood. He is new at work and not even entitled to a vacation. Other than the first night where he worked for a few hours, he did not work very long at all the other nights. It was not too bad.

We were so excited about the birthday celebration too.

I just love it...I get such a kick out of reading parts of your TR out loud to my husband. "Crap had this, Crap said that..."

I like his choice in shaving products too...Black Jack?

I just love it...I get such a kick out of reading parts of your TR out loud to my husband. "Crap had this, Crap said that..."

I like his choice in shaving products too...Black Jack?

It took me a while to get used to calling him Crap. Now that it seems so natural, it would be weird to call him anything else. He was the one who convinced me I should not use his first name, since our last name is in my screen name. There are a ton of Kimberly Medinas, but there is only one "Crap" Medina I am aware of. Posting his real name is not a good idea. The funny thing is he is at work, so I had no idea he did that. I checked my email and gasped. What about keeping our family private, I called and asked him. Before we were even off the call, he edited his post.

Yes, he uses Jack Black products for the time being. He always changes his beauty products after a bit of time.

Your meal at the Jazz kitchen sounds perfect! I understand how wonderful it is when everything comes together, good food, good atmosphere, and (most importantly) good behavior! :rotfl2:

Unfortunately around here the last condition is pretty rare. We've taken to bringing the ipad with us to eat out, which I know is lazy parenting, but is really the only way we can make it through a meal at a restaurant without tears (both mine and DS's). I know there will come a time when DS learns how to control his volume, can sit still for more than two minutes at a time, and realizes that yelling "I'm pooping!" is not exactly dinner conversation, but until then, thank god for technology! :worship:

Oh and Crap, I'm really honored that you decided to take the leap of faith and reveal your true identity! Does this mean we have to stop calling you Crap? :lmao:

Unfortunately around here the last condition is pretty rare. We've taken to bringing the ipad with us to eat out, which I know is lazy parenting, but is really the only way we can make it through a meal at a restaurant without tears (both mine and DS's). I know there will come a time when DS learns how to control his volume, can sit still for more than two minutes at a time, and realizes that yelling "I'm pooping!" is not exactly dinner conversation, but until then, thank god for technology! :worship:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I'm dying! That's hilarious, and something I can totally relate to. :lmao:

Oh and Crap, I'm really honored that you decided to take the leap of faith and reveal your true identity! Does this mean we have to stop calling you Crap? :lmao:

I missed the big reveal, but I'm kind of glad that I did. It's like finding out Superman's true identity. Kinda ruins it. :lmao:

Your meal at the Jazz kitchen sounds perfect! I understand how wonderful it is when everything comes together, good food, good atmosphere, and (most importantly) good behavior! :rotfl2:

It really was a great meal. Lately, we have not had many of those. When we all eat out together, I have issues with Connor. My issues seem to be with Xander when Crap is not there.

I let Xander play with my iPhone all the time, so I am not one who thinks it is lazy parenting, at all. You have to do what works. If it was not for my phone the other day, I do not know how I would have made it through my dentist appt. Connor sat in my lap through the appt while Xander played with my phone. I was literally pinned under the baby and the dentist, so I needed Xander to behave. The I'm pooping comment made me laugh so hard. Xander was always a shy pooper. When he got a little older, he would hide to poop.

I asked him if he mentioned his real name, because he wanted me to stop calling him Crap. He swears he has no problem with the name. Apparently, he figured everyone knew his name anyway, so he wanted to announce it. Now that he mentioned it, some people may know his name. Unless I change my screen name to exclude our last name, I will not mention his name publicly on the boards. Of course, I do not mind certain people like you who may know it now.

I missed the big reveal, but I'm kind of glad that I did. It's like finding out Superman's true identity. Kinda ruins it. :lmao:

After how paranoid he made me about it, I will not post it publicly for everyone to view. He is literally the only person who comes up when you google his name. Scary stuff when you think of all of the people you do not really know seeing it. I feel like I know you, so I'd be perfectly fine with you knowing.

I totally understand why he'd want to keep his name a secret. That could be really scary! Plus, I figured he's appreciate being compared to a superhero! :rotfl2:

Feel free to steal the money as reward idea. I made a chart on a dry erase board, and for each day that she gets through with less than 3 strikes, she gets a star. For each star, she gets a dollar. We've only been at it for a week, and she's already trying much harder to behave than she was before. We counted her money with her tonight, and she's extra motivated to behave now.

I hope it works for you! 5 has been tough.

I totally understand why he'd want to keep his name a secret. That could be really scary! Plus, I figured he's appreciate being compared to a superhero! :rotfl2:

Feel free to steal the money as reward idea. I made a chart on a dry erase board, and for each day that she gets through with less than 3 strikes, she gets a star. For each star, she gets a dollar. We've only been at it for a week, and she's already trying much harder to behave than she was before. We counted her money with her tonight, and she's extra motivated to behave now.

I hope it works for you! 5 has been tough.

Superman is his favorite super hero too, so I am sure he appreciated it. If only I created a user name that did not include our last name, he would not have to be Crap. Oh well. We cannot un-ring that bell now.

I am glad it is working for Maddie. Xander needs extra motivation.

Five does seem to be a trying age. He has been throwing more fits than he did at three or four. I wondered if it was just because he sees it works for Connor or if he just wants to make things harder for me. I can usually handle one of them melting down at a time. When I am alone and they both do it, I feel outnumbered!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter